Scores To Marvel Films: Which do you like the most?

My favorites:

1. X-men the last stand
2. X2
3. Spider-man 2
4. The Punisher
5. Fantastic Four
6. X-men
7. Spider-man
8. Fantastic four:Rise of the silver surfer
9. Spider-man 3
10.Daredevil

I didn't like Elfman's Hulk and the one for Incredbile was just okay for me. I don't remember the scores for any of the blades or for punisher war zone. Also Ghost Rider's is pretty bland. Wolverine's is OKAY but sounds too over the top to me.

I'll go with the Spider-Man flicks (1 and 2). Danny Elfman really captured the majestic tone of Spider-Man, as well as the pain and the darkness too.

However if the Kick-Ass movie had been under Marvel, I would put that as my all-time favorite anyday.

Well, I mean technically....

So, although I loved Ramin's Iron Man score (I'd say it was probably 4th or 5th), after hearing the complete score leak, and a better presentation of his work, I'd say Imo, the order goes :

Spider-Man 3
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Wolverine Origins
Hulk
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Incredible Hulk
Daredevil
Ghost Rider
X-Men
X-Men 2
X-Men 3

[YT]padpEYIkq4c[/YT]

Excelsior...'Nuff said...

Mine is very frankly Carlo Siliotto's Punisher Score from 2004. I found it simply fantastic. It sounded sort of like a western and added so much tragedy to it.

This was just intense:

[YT]q9D7zIQ_Yuc[/YT]

And the Punisher theme is just so fitting and awesome. I love its many changes to fit the tone throughout the film.

My favorites of the score are, Setting A Trap, The Punisher, The Massacre, Gods Gonna Sit This One Out, Entering The Fort, Skull (The Punisher Theme Extended :awesome:), Castle's Loneliness, Punishment, and You Don't Understand definitely. My favorite is probably Gods Gonna Sit This One Out because it combines Castle's Loneliness, The Punisher Theme, and then creates an awesome sounding original tune. All in all scores like The Punisher are the reason that I mainly listen to scores to movies and video games.

[YT]zC2j7c87eUE[/YT]
[YT]fcodbrTHEqw[/YT]
[YT]dvkndgX5-WA[/YT]
[YT]ClOZemosdqo[/YT]
[YT]VIiMBwSJCw0[/YT]
[YT]lKHgDiweH9o[/YT]

Daredevil also had a great score, the main theme completely fit The Man Without Fear and it was greatly written but the Punisher's is just too good. Though I do think Daredevil easily has the best soundtrack (as in the compilation of songs used throughout the film such as Bring Me To Life, Hang On, Learn The Hard Way, etc)

I agree about Siliotto's score for The Punisher 2004 being great. One of the best scores that year,imo. And that year had alot of good scores and comic book/superhero movie scores. Better than I expected. And very underrated both movie and score.

I disagree about Daredevil's score. I remember being very excited about this score b/c Revell was scoring it. I also enjoyed his score for The Crow. So imagine my disappointment after I saw the movie(also disappointing). The score didn't even stack up to Elfman's Spider-man. The main title didn't go anywhere it just kept building up to nothing, imo. Bullseye had a cheap and simple theme or motif but it was appropriate for the one- dimensional performance from Farrell. After scores for BB and TDK I've grown to appreciate the DD score more. While not great it's decent. Way better than what Zimmer and Howard wrote for the Batman scores, imo.

I think 2003 Hulk has the best theme and Spider-Man has the best overall score.

As much as I detested X-men 3, it did have an awesome score.

I just wasn't strong enough to vote for it though so I voted for Elfman's wonderful Spider-man score. Truly music to swing by :cwink:

As much as I detested X-men 3, it did have an awesome score.

I just wasn't strong enough to vote for it though so I voted for Elfman's wonderful Spider-man score. Truly music to swing by :cwink:

I was very surprised by Powell's X3 score. It even surpassed Ottman's X2 score, imo. Gotta love "Entering the House", "Dark Phoenix's Tragedy", "Farewell To X", "St Lupus Day"," Building Bridges", and " Phoenix Rises". I didn't know or believed Powell had it in him. A real powerhouse for Powell. His score was better than what the movie deserved that's for sure.

Props to Elevator Man for bumping this.

I go with Spidey 2.

I think both Elfman Spider-man scores are underrated and were appropriate for the Raimi films. Shame what happen to his music on the second film. So much great music was replaced by music from S1, Young, Debney and even some songs were tracked over Elfman's music.

Since we're talking about Spidey music from the original franchise. Look what I found.

Elfman's "Train/Appreciation" eventhough the guy who put that together tracked some music from "The Bank" at the beginning.
[YT]eihJpPmeB90?fs[/YT]

Young's "Runaway Train" without the sound effects and dialogue.
[YT]lrNtGH0S5C4?fs[/YT]

A clever comparison between Elfman's "Train/Appreciation" and Young's "Runaway Train" cues as the scene is playing.
[YT]MK5cfSpCRtA?fs[/YT]

Just so you know I didn't put any of these together. I just happen to have found these on YT.

Last edited:
Watch the Spider-Man reboot get a RC composer and everyone finally realise how good we had it with Elfman.

I watched SM2 last week, being very familiar with Elfman's complete score. And some of Raimi's choicing are jarring. Really, really idiotic. Then he goes and uses rejected cues for SM3... Can't say I blame Elfman for leaving, though I think he could have done a great job with SM3. But at least he doesn't have to be associated with that movie.

I'd say the 2004 Punisher score was best with IM1 coming in a close 2nd. None of the rest to me are memorable at all.

I'd say the 2004 Punisher score was best with IM1 coming in a close 2nd. None of the rest to me are memorable at all.

Yet you found Djwadi's IM score memorable. LOL. I guess you would since IM's score was basically the same stuff the MV/RC composers cook up in every blockbuster movie since the mid 90s. Oh well. To each his own. I guess. I just find it pathetic that the IM scores aren't really anything but noise and doesn't really capture the character the way it should. To me it's just generic action music that we've heard over and over again with nothing groundbreaking. Hopefully these future Marvel (as well as DC's GL) movies will have groundbreaking music, but I know that's asking for too much. Therefore, won't happen especially the way the film scoring business is today. Pity.

IM was my least favourite score of 2008, I liked IM2 a fair bit though.

Yet you found Djwadi's IM score memorable. LOL. I guess you would since IM's score was basically the same stuff the MV/RC composers cook up in every blockbuster movie since the mid 90s. Oh well. To each his own. I guess. I just find it pathetic that the IM scores aren't really anything but noise and doesn't really capture the character the way it should. To me it's just generic action music that we've heard over and over again with nothing groundbreaking. Hopefully these future Marvel (as well as DC's GL) movies will have groundbreaking music, but I know that's asking for too much. Therefore, won't happen especially the way the film scoring business is today. Pity.

To me, that's the Spider-man, X-men, Daredevil, FF, Blade and Hulk movie scores in a nutshell. Noise. Nothing memorable whatsoever in fact I'd be hard pressed to identify them if I just happened to hear them in passing. Now the IM score, perhaps I can recognize it better simply because I've seen that movie more times than all other superhero movies in history combined(and I've seen just about all of them). But the Punisher score still beats it for me, as do the Elfman Batman and Williams Superman scores even though I've seen those movies far less than Iron Man 1. But this is marvel scores so I didn't rank them and that's why I picked Punisher'04's score as the best.

Last edited:
IM was my least favourite score of 2008, I liked IM2 a fair bit though.

IM2 suffered from being too drowned out by the movie, IMO. I do like the score but too often you can barely hear the good parts in the movie(the monaco race music being a prime example). It was much easier to hear the score in IM1.

IM2 suffered from being too drowned out by the movie, IMO. I do like the score but too often you can barely hear the good parts in the movie(the monaco race music being a prime example). It was much easier to hear the score in IM1.

I think that's because RD made no effort to support the movie, it was obnoxious with no development whatsoever. People have always said that they never even notice the music in Spider-Man, which is probably the biggest compliment you could give it. I found RD's score to take me out of IM quite a few times.

Score isn't SFX. I think you really want to notice the score. I know I do.

Score isn't SFX. I think you really want to notice the score. I know I do.

A lot of composers think if the audience isn't paying attention to the music during the movie. Then they've done their job. Elfman has stated that many times. I remember somewhere Giacchino stated he didn't want a scene that didn't need music to have music. I remember an interview Newton Howard shared with Zimmer, Peter Bart, and Peter Guber(on the long canceled Sunday Morning Shootout from AMC), where he stated music can hurt a movie or something to that extent. So in all honesty most composers don't really want the music to call attention to itself, but to only benefit the scenes and movies itself.

For some reason this damn thing won't let me vote.

You know, I am finding it very difficult to pick any one score from a Marvel movie over all of the others, I havent disliked any of them, but the cream of the crop for me has been X2, Hulk, The Punisher (2004), Spiderman 1 and 2, and even the likes of GR and TIH had great scores as well, I am going to have to do some thinking on this.

^I thought the whole score was amazing to be honest, one of the more unique Marvel movie scores to come out.

Also, come to think of it, not one X-Men movie had a bad score despite the difference in quality between some of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"