Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/scorsese-to-direct-a-sinatra-film-4681

Date: May 21, 2008

By: Kellvin Chavez
Source: Female First

I just stumbled across this story saying that Martin Scorsese is going to do a Sinatra film! According to the story, Tina Sinatra is the one spilling the beans about it saying that “Marty always wanted to tell the truth about (Sinatra)” Could be interesting, I thought Martin did a commendable job with the Howard Hughes film although casting maybe could have been different for the lead.

This one could be good but it would boil down to who would play Frank. That would make or break this movie.

What do you think? Are movie goers ready to know the truth about old blue eyes? Or would you rather see films about robots and wizards?

Isn't Marty attached to ten different movies?

I'd love to see a Sinatra film. But... I'm really not all that interested in seeing DiCaprio as Sinatra.

Martin Scorsese doing a biopic on Frank Sinatra is a lock for the Oscar. Possibly the greatest director of all-time, making a movie about one the biggest legends in the history of the music industry, is a definite must-see for me. But as you say who should play Frank?

It won't matter who should play Frank. 99.9999% probability, he's gonna cast Leonardo DiCaprio.

Is Marty Scorsese Taking on Frank Sinatra?
Posted May 12th 2008 12:32PM by Monika Bartyzel
Filed under: Drama, Deals, RumorMonger

It looks like Frank Sinatra's youngest daughter and film producer, Tina Sinatra, has let the cat out of the bag. While talking with Sun Media recently, she discussed a new biopic on the way, from Universal, that would focus on dear old Rat Pack Dad. She started by cryptically saying that the man who would take on the film was "the most prominent Italian-American filmmaker" in Hollywood. First, they guessed Coppola, and then Martin Scorsese. Later, she confirmed that it was, indeed, Marty.

But according to Sinatra, this won't be a big gangster picture. The movie will show him innocent of true involvement with the Mafia: "I don't want him to be driving the getaway car. That would not be fair. But I trust him (Scorsese) implicitly." It seems that Scorsese is in "a reflective period and is willing to present the truth about her father." From the way Sinatra is talking about Marty's involvement, it sounds like he is in final negotiations, but hasn't yet signed.

Should this all get squared away and signed, it will be at least the sixth celebrity name added to Scorsese's roster in the last 4-5 years. There was Bob Dylan in 2005, then the Rolling Stones with Shine a Light, plus the upcoming George Harrison and Bob Marley docs, and The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt.

Bob Marley pic was dropped, and Jonathon Demme is now doing it.

I love me some Sinatra, but I will cast Scorsese into fires of all hell and damnation if he casts DiCaprio.

I just realized something:

It's been a decade since Sinatra died. Maybe it's just me, but many of Hollywood's Golden Age actors have died within the last 20 years.

It will suck if he casts DiCaprio, who I don't even know if he will make a good Teddy Roosevelt. DiCaprio is a good actor, but some roles won't fit him and this won't fit him.

I always thought Barry Pepper would make a good Sinatra. He has the right bone structure, already has a similar enough speaking voice...

pepper2.jpg

Scorsese needs to do his Teddy Roosevelt Bio Pic first.

Also, even more off topic, we need a Walt Disney Bio Pic - starring DiCaprio.

Hell, Marlon Brando needs a flick first and foremost.

Scorsese is a busy man, lol.

I think he is a great fit for this, though.

The problem with a Sinatra fan is who would play Sinatra. I just don't think there is anyone who can give do him justice. The man is bigger than life and way too iconic and fresh in the minds of the public. His movies are constantly on T.V.

I'd love to see a film about Frank Sinatra, and I think with a few prosthetics, Leonardo Dicaprio would be great.

Well, definitely Bruce Greenwood could play him in his older years.

I hope Scorsese doesn't have that panic period, when people try their best to complete all their plans because of the death fear. I mean, yes he is only 65, but it may be just himself, who is afraid of it. Anyway, he is one of the greatest directors in Hollywood and I hope he will carry out most of his plans.

I'd love to see this. Scorsese is the one person who could make as accurate a portrayal of the man as possible and weed through the ******** (like the nonsensical mob connections).

As for who can play Frank.........

milo-ventimiglia.jpg
Frank2.jpg

terry78 said:
Well, definitely Bruce Greenwood could play him in his older years.

Excellent choice, though he's a little too tall. Older Frank will prove to be a challenge.

Some other ideas:

Nancy Sinatra (First Wife) - Lana Parilla (From the CBS show Swingtown)
Ava Gardner - Rose McGowan or Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Winstead is distant relative of Garnder's)
Mia Farrow - Michelle Williams
Sammy Davis Jr. - Elijah Kelley (From Hairspray)
Nancy Sinatra - Blake Lively (again, she might be too tall)
Nelson Riddle - Tim Robbins
Peter Lawford - Daniel Craig

A lot of the other choices are hard. For the life of me, I can't think of anyone who could feasibly play Dean Martin, Jilly Rizzo or his other two kids, or his fourth wife.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/13/martin-scorsese-to-direct-sinatra/#more-28090
Martin Scorsese to Direct Sinatra

Posted on Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 at 1:17 pm by: Peter Sciretta

Martin Scorsese has added yet another film to his already overfilled plat of upcoming projects, but this one actually sounds like it could be all sorts of awesome. Universal Pictures and Mandalay Pictures have signed the Academy Award winning filmmaker to direct a biopic based on the life of Frank Sinatra.

Phil Alden Robinson is writing the screenplay, titled simply Sinatra. Robinson is probably best known as the writer/director of Sneakers and Field of Dreams, which he was nominated for an Academy Award.

The music rights have been secured and the Sinatra family has given its permission, which is not an easy get. Frank’s youngest daughter Tina Sinatra will be an executive producer, which would lead many to believe that the film would probably be on the less controversial side. However, Tina has told journalists in the past that she would “trust Scorsese implicitly” to “present the truth” about her father.

Peter Guber has been trying to get this project into production for years now, and now that all the pieces have fallen together. It is very possible that Scorsese might actually push to make the film as his next project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"