Screw Transformers...they should do Macross (Robotech)

ShadowBoxing

Avenger
Reaction score
Not really "screw Transformers", I really do want to see that film badly...I just thought it would make for a catchier title.

Macross, to me, just screams Live Action treatment. It's got a great story, it has that whole "love story" aspect that producers seem to feel needs to be in every movie nowadays, it is visually very adaptable and it pretty much lends itself to a Trilogy. I even think the cartoon could be used as a template.
macross-attack.jpg

macross_vf-1j_stealth_type_1_48.jpg

Macross.jpg

robotech.jpg

They did. It was called Space balls.

Hell yes.

I can see the first episodes working as the first film.

I love the first series with Rick & Lisa. :heart:

I even have the Masterpiece Skull Leader Veritech Fighter.

Obviously very anime in terms of the soap opera, and acting. I'd be curious to see how that would play out in some sort of live action movie.

I love the first series with Rick & Lisa. :heart:

I even have the Masterpiece Skull Leader Veritech Fighter.

Obviously very anime in terms of the soap opera, and acting. I'd be curious to see how that would play out in some sort of live action movie.
I think that's one of the main reasons it works as a film. They eat that stuff up these days. Batman had that kind of back and forth romance in Begins. The X-Trilogy was famous for the love triangle between Scott, Jean and Logan. Transformers recently felt the need to introduce a love interest. Aside from the heavy heavy Cold War overtones (cloned society devoid of culture defecting to the "western society" due to their capitalist way of life...the giant lazer being used in "peace talks"...looming threats...potential for nuclear holocaust...and on and on) it does deal with terrorism from an enemy that is hard to fight. It has great characters, especially in the supporting cast. You'd have to change some things to make certain elements believable and less corny...but all in all the series is pretty realistic. Certainly the deaths of Ben Dixon, Roy Focker and the crew save Lisa Hayes make great fodder for a film...in addition to the annihilation of 95% of the world population.

I feel like very few people actually watched this show.

I used to watch this way back when I was little.
Good stuff, IMO.

I love the mecha from Macross, but I like the storyline and the aliens from Mospeada (3rd Generation Robotech) better. I liked how the Invid were these mysterious creatures that you hardly got to see at all until they started to make themselves look like humans.

Plus the Cyclone motorcycle armor bikes = awesome.

Mospeada-15-RideArmor.jpg

Well you could certainly pull from a lot of the stories to make a franchise out of it. The nice thing about Macross is once you wrap up a trilogy you can move onto SC and Mosepeda and totally recast the film.

I love the first movie and Macross Plus to a lesser extent so I definitely think those two can work as a movie.

I would rather Voltron over this.

Im sure it transformers is a hit we'll see alot of 80s cartoon and giant robot shows turned into movies.

It'll have to wait in line behind Evangelion.

YES!

As much as I don't want to see it get delayed any further, it would be awesome if by the time it gets made, I'll be graduated from animation school and could get a job at working on it! Well, the third one at least, since it will undoubtedly be a trilogy. Hopefully Transformers will be a smash-down-the-walls hit, so that a studio will seriously consider doing Evangelion as a movie!

YUM! Concept art! :)

dvdconcept-hangar02.jpg

I want this movie to happen so bad! Oh well, getting too far off a tangent. I just hope it happens soon so that SHH! can give it it's own forum, since technically Eva is also a comic book.

Robo Jox >>>> Macross :cmad:

:ninja:

Oh, yeah! Pure cheese. :up:

I remember when that movie came out. Didn't they have to change the name to "Robot Jox" because the Robocop producers threatened to sue?

That movie is crying out for a MST3K treatment.

All these shows were basically the same thing...Gundam, Voltron, EVA, etc. You keep creating live action movies for these, they're all going to look like carbon copies. I just say do a movie on Gundam and leave it alone.

I'm starting to think a Macross trilogy would work really fine
Macross: The begining, the SDF folds into deep space, we met the aliens, and ends with the Macross reaching earth
Macross II: War on Earth, introducing Max and Mirya ending with the almost extintion of human population (people love dark ending for the middle of a trilogy)
Macross III: Big ****ing war: Humans and aliens against aliens. I would love that really cool scene of the space battle with Minmay singing

All these shows were basically the same thing...Gundam, Voltron, EVA, etc. You keep creating live action movies for these, they're all going to look like carbon copies. I just say do a movie on Gundam and leave it alone.

well said. gundam kicks macross' ass anyway.

The basic idea of all these piloted robot animes is a young man in his big ass robot suit doing some power rangers ****

I know there's a bunch of soap opera drama too which is fine, but that only becomes interesting after the 100th episode and youre getting tired of the splosions.

AND COWBOY BEBOP TEH MOVIE PLEASE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"