Season 1 / Episode 3: What If... The World Lost Its Mightiest Heroes?

Discussion in 'What If...?' started by HammerDown, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Jewel Runner Registered

I fail to see what's wrong with the animation.
    It looks fine

Broseph44 and CaptainWagner like this.
  2. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

I think Odin stripped Thor of everything, Mjolnir, his innate power, strenght, durability… basically turning him into a human like his Donald Blake persona in the comics.

I think we can see glimpses of that in how he’s affected by random stuff on Earth like car accidents, hospital equipment, medical and military personal… He’s just a big strong dude with over a thousand years of combat training hence why he’s able to work his way to try and lift Mjolnir…

I theorize that when Odin got the news of Thor’s death he collapsed into the Odinsleep giving way to Loki ascension to the throne and arrival on Earth as king.

CaptainWagner likes this.
  3. Zarex Registered

Endgame revealed that the Ancient One was involved in The Battle of New York.

Lake Bell, who would have been a damn good live action Natasha as well.

I liked this episode a lot, especially since I finally got to see evil Hank Pym in (sorta) the MCU. Prior to AM&TW my head canon was that Hank had intentionally banished Janet to the Quantum Realm after finding out she was having an affair (with Bill Foster, maybe?). Crazy Eyebrows Hank was the guy I had been waiting for.

KaijuDude1992 and Shinobi Shaw like this.
  4. Weather Witch Likes Sand

My favorite episode of the three so far. A lot of fun stuff from Fury’s big week, cool stuff with Loki, a new plottwist, and more Coulson (which is always appreciated).

5. P Supreme Registered

now this is what i envisioned this show being when it was announced easily the best episode and after seeing Loki get emotionally and physically battered for 6 episodes on his show to see him basically take over earth to avenge Thor:woo:

did not see that twist coming

6. NHawk19 insert witty comment

Loki wasn't trying to avenge Thor he took over because he wants to be loved. He saw Thor's death as an opportunity to rule someone. Did like the way they snuck Uatu in the background. Feel like I didn't see as much of that in the previous 2.

Besides Thor had been avenged when they found Pym.

Also I wonder how many of the variants from this show we'll see in the multi-verse if any.

7. RiXi Registered

But she was just protecting the
    Sanctum Sanctorum. Not interfering with the battle itself.

8. Zarex Registered

She was blasting Chituari. That absolutely counts as interfering in the battle.

Broseph44 likes this.
  9. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

It's debatable. She didn't join the battle, it was just a few stray Chitauri. Swatting bees to stop them from getting in your home 100 feet away from their beehive without going near the beehive isn't the same thing as walking over to the beehive and smashing it with a baseball bat. Had the Avengers truly been overpowered by the army, she'd have probably joined in to stop them at the portal.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  10. P Supreme Registered

obviously i know Loki intentions was to take over regardless he used Thor/s death to do it but im a mark for the character so in my eyes he is avenging Thor :ali:

KaijuDude1992, Iceman and Drizzle like this.
  11. Detective Conan Registered

12. Hannibal75 Registered

Deep down Loki always loved his brother. His death might have been the perfect excuse to conquer earth but that doesn't mean that he wasn't genuinely angry about it.

13. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

Until the reveal I really thought that Clint shooting Thor was Loki's doing. After all, he killed Thor via the Destroyer in the movie anyway. I also have to assume that Loki disposed of Odin in some way in this universe because if he was able to resurrect Thor in the movie then there's no reason to believe he couldn't have done the same thing here. Yeah, Thor didn't have his moment of clarity and sacrifice yet but there's no way Odin would just let him die like that, as shady as he may be.

P Supreme likes this.
  14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Interesting idea for an episode and they made it work well. Unlike most, I've enjoyed all the episodes so far. I didn't realise the concept of What If would appeal to me as I didn't used to bother too much with the comics preferring things to be canon to one universe or another.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  15. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I'd love if we got Betty back in the real MCU too.

16. Pennywise Registered

17. Pennywise Registered

18. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I love it when the actors are up for contributing to the animation too.

KaijuDude1992 and Venom 1988 like this.
  19. DyeLorean will return

I agree that this episode was easily the best of the bunch so far and it helps A LOT that those are the real actors (for the most part) reprising their roles. It gives everything a sense of quality and not a direct-to-video scam.
    The mystery angle really worked. This isn't must-see Marvel content but It's a perfectly fine appetizer in between movies.

Kev4000, P Supreme, Iceman and 2 others like this.
  20. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

It would have been wild if we saw her come back in Endgame as BruceHulk's girlfriend/wife in a cameo. If she's not back in She-Hulk then I can't really see her coming back at all.

P Supreme and Iceman like this.
  21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Then she better damn we’ll be in She-Hulk! There were some sightings I believe that at least make that a possibility.

22. bubbadoom Registered

Great improvement over last weeks episode, maybe even better than Captain Carter...I think next week is "Thor"...

23. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Best episode so far. Story was pretty damn dark but I remember that’s what I loved about the original comic book What If series

The animation is definitely a step up from the previous two episodes. And some excellent voice acting from Sam Jackson, Tom Hiddleston, and especially Lake Bell who sounded just like ScarJo

Dark Raven and P Supreme like this.
  24. Dr. Evil Registered

The sightings are circumstantial at best but it is curious, most notably her being in Miami a week before She Hulk started shooting.

Iceman likes this.
  25. First Avenger Registered

Gotta Say, I quite miss that Hulk design.