Strange New Worlds Season 1, Episode 5 "Spock Amok"

Ahh, yes, hijinks. Always fun to have a low stakes fun episode. I really do like T'Pring, too bad canon sort of forces her out of the show at some point. She can assign me punitive spiritualism any time. Seeing Una and La'an just being Boimler bros, and then trying out the Enterprise Bingo was great. Plus, lots of backstory I want in the future. Just how bad is Chief Kyle. And I want to hear the story of Ortega's lirta scars.

This had one of the same writers from Episode 2. Ok, so I really don't like the portrayal of Spock in this show. I also don't like how they turned the Vulcan relationship into a human one. Spock getting relationship advice from a human is nonsense. He is betrothed to a female Vulcan. The cultures are completely different. Well not according to this show they aren't, I guess. Spock in T'pring's body striking the other Vulcan was ridiculous. Spock doesn't go around hitting people who annoy him with words. He would just outwit them and sneak in a quip to verbally dominate them, or nerve pinch them if need be. That used to be one of the charms about him, he would use his intellect.

Isn't the point of a lot of Vulcan stories is that for all that logic, that they aren't all that different? Maybe T'lyn's episode keeps in my mind a too much, but the advice Chapel gave was sound.

Ahh, yes, hijinks. Always fun to have a low stakes fun episode. I really do like T'Pring, too bad canon sort of forces her out of the show at some point. She can assign me punitive spiritualism any time. Seeing Una and La'an just being Boimler bros, and then trying out the Enterprise Bingo was great. Plus, lots of backstory I want in the future. Just how bad is Chief Kyle. And I want to hear the story of Ortega's lirta scars.

Isn't the point of a lot of Vulcan stories is that for all that logic, that they aren't all that different? Maybe T'lyn's episode keeps in my mind a too much, but the advice Chapel gave was sound.
I need some context or clarification please for this sentence about T'lyn. I looked up the name and don't watch that show so I don't follow your reference.

Anyway, Vulcans are that different from us. They use logic and suppress their emotions. Spock is a different story since he is half human. What are some Vulcan stories that come to your mind? I would like to see some kind of example.

The advice Spock should be seeking is from another Vulcan not a human who has no idea about Vulcan relationships, which are very different than ours. Although this show doesn't seem to understand the difference.

I need some context or clarification please for this sentence about T'lyn. I looked up the name and don't watch that show so I don't follow your reference.

T’Lyn’s episode of Lower Decks showed junior officers on Starfleet, Klingon, and Vulcan ships all dealing with similarly frustrating and challenging situations concerning their superior officers. T’Lyn’s captain and crewmates criticized her for being excessively emotional and impulsive, even though a human (and especially her counterpart Mariner) would see her as calm and logical. It’s like how an Ewok would say that there are tall Ewoks and short Ewoks, and a Wookiee would describe tall Wookiees and short Wookiees, but an Ewok would see all Wookiees as enormous and a Wookiee would see all Ewoks as tiny.
Anyway, Vulcans are that different from us. They use logic and suppress their emotions. Spock is a different story since he is half human. What are some Vulcan stories that come to your mind? I would like to see some kind of example.

The advice Spock should be seeking is from another Vulcan not a human who has no idea about Vulcan relationships, which are very different than ours. Although this show doesn't seem to understand the difference.

I think Spock is of the opinion that he’s had enough advice from Vulcans to last a lifetime.

Admittidly, it may just be stuff that I have stored from what I think I remember of Enterprise and Voyager.

But does it really matter? Was Chapel wrong? I mean, the episode made it pretty clear that T'pring was upset about Spock missing dinner, in that wonderful Vulcan passive aggressive manner. And considering the first scene she had in the series, asking a human is not a terrible idea.

As for the Lower Decks episode, its 2x9, Wej'duj. I highly recommend it. Fairly standalone, doesn't really require any prior viewings, and you get some fun stuff. It is nominated for a Nebula. Nothing quite like seeing a maverick Vulcan backtalk a superior officer. I love the phrase "punitive spirituality" too much.

T’Lyn’s episode of Lower Decks showed junior officers on Starfleet, Klingon, and Vulcan ships all dealing with similarly frustrating and challenging situations concerning their superior officers. T’Lyn’s captain and crewmates criticized her for being excessively emotional and impulsive, even though a human (and especially her counterpart Mariner) would see her as calm and logical. It’s like how an Ewok would say that there are tall Ewoks and short Ewoks, and a Wookiee would describe tall Wookiees and short Wookiees, but an Ewok would see all Wookiees as enormous and a Wookiee would see all Ewoks as tiny.

I think Spock is of the opinion that he’s had enough advice from Vulcans to last a lifetime.
Thanks for some context to this character T'Lyn. As far as Spock this is a younger version maybe they could tie in his relationship with his father. He ask his father for advice, then they fight about it. This would tie into further show why Spock and his dad don't talk much. Then he could turn to the outside the box thinking and talk to Chapel. The main issue is Vulcans don't talk about their relationships with non Vulcans because they find it shameful that they have the emotional urges. This show completely changes that though.
Admittidly, it may just be stuff that I have stored from what I think I remember of Enterprise and Voyager.

But does it really matter? Was Chapel wrong? I mean, the episode made it pretty clear that T'pring was upset about Spock missing dinner, in that wonderful Vulcan passive aggressive manner. And considering the first scene she had in the series, asking a human is not a terrible idea.

As for the Lower Decks episode, its 2x9, Wej'duj. I highly recommend it. Fairly standalone, doesn't really require any prior viewings, and you get some fun stuff. It is nominated for a Nebula. Nothing quite like seeing a maverick Vulcan backtalk a superior officer. I love the phrase "punitive spirituality" too much.
Are you talking about the first scene that shows them on a date night? Which further shows that these writers don't understand that Spock and T'pring only met as children then again when they were to be married. They were betrothed as kids by their parents. This is what caused the failure in their relationship, he wasn't around. They didn't spend time together as adults. Some other Vulcan guy was there.

As for the lower decks episode I will give it a try.

Thanks for some context to this character T'Lyn. As far as Spock this is a younger version maybe they could tie in his relationship with his father. He ask his father for advice, then they fight about it. This would tie into further show why Spock and his dad don't talk much. Then he could turn to the outside the box thinking and talk to Chapel. The main issue is Vulcans don't talk about their relationships with non Vulcans because they find it shameful that they have the emotional urges. This show completely changes that though.
Sarek is a “do as I say, not as I do” type of father. He’s the wild-at-heart young man who charmed a Vulcan princess in a relationship based on passion instead of formality, had a child with her out of wedlock, and then married an alien woman, had a half-alien son, and adopted a fully-alien daughter. For Sarek to give Spock advice on how to be a proper Vulcan — and for Sarek to punish Spock for not following that advice (TNG: “Unification Part 1”) — I think that’s the kind of wisdom that takes a long time to sink in.

It doesn’t help that of Sarek’s three kids, the fully-human middle one was the most properly Vulcan in adherence to logic and stoicism, while the fully-Vulcan eldest was the family’s shameful secret that they didn’t talk about. Spock had some good role models, but “it’s complicated” only begins to describe the situation.

Sarek is a “do as I say, not as I do” type of father. He’s the wild-at-heart young man who charmed a Vulcan princess in a relationship based on passion instead of formality, had a child with her out of wedlock, and then married an alien woman, had a half-alien son, and adopted a fully-alien daughter. For Sarek to give Spock advice on how to be a proper Vulcan — and for Sarek to punish Spock for not following that advice (TNG: “Unification Part 1”) — I think that’s the kind of wisdom that takes a long time to sink in.

It doesn’t help that of Sarek’s three kids, the fully-human middle one was the most properly Vulcan in adherence to logic and stoicism, while the fully-Vulcan eldest was the family’s shameful secret that they didn’t talk about. Spock had some good role models, but “it’s complicated” only begins to describe the situation.
It is not a punishment, just to show how Spock and Sarek don't get along. Which leads to them not talking so frequently. There is mention by Spock's mom to Kirk that Spock and his father hadn't spoken in years. The reason has nothing to do with this situation we are talking about, but them speaking and disagreeing shows more of their relationship and how they would butt heads. So since they introduced Sybok already, an appearance by Sarek is just a matter of time. If Spock was going to talk about his private Vulcan relationship with a human it should be someone he is closer to, like Pike or Una although not sure how close he is with Una. Not the nurse he just met.

I watched the Lower Decks episode you mentioned, but only the scenes with the Vulcan crew. This character T'lyn was this her first appearance or did she serve with the humans from this series?

It is not a punishment, just to show how Spock and Sarek don't get along.

I'm referring to what Sarek said in a TNG episode. Sarek's lucidity was fluctuating, but I assume his memory was accurate:
SAREK: No. I never knew what Spock was doing. When he was a boy, he would disappear for days into the mountains. I asked him where he had gone, what he had done, he refused to tell me. I insisted that he tell me. He would not. I forbade him to go. He ignored me. I punished him. He endured it, silently. But always he returned to the mountains. One might as well ask the river not to run. (lies down again) But secretly I admired him, the proud core of him that would not yield.

— TNG: "Unification Part 1"

I watched the Lower Decks episode you mentioned, but only the scenes with the Vulcan crew. This character T'lyn was this her first appearance or did she serve with the humans from this series?

Only appearance so far. We will see if she shows up next season.

I'm referring to what Sarek said in a TNG episode. Sarek's lucidity was fluctuating, but I assume his memory was accurate:
Ah gotcha. The funny thing is I have been rewatching star trek and am on TNG right now and I just saw this episode yesterday. I liked seeing Spock and Data talking to each other. They summed each other quite perfectly. I am not sure if it is ever known but it seemed like Spock had no Vulcan friends, so the only one I could think of to give him Vulcan advice would be his dad. And the nature of their relationship would lead to a disagreement. Then this in turn might make Spock turn to a human. This is my point that Spock wouldn't just talk to Chapel whom he barely met in this show. Not when he has longer term friends on the ship, like Pike. Who they tried to show as being very close to him in the last episode, but we haven't really seen that relationship too much.
Only appearance so far. We will see if she shows up next season.
Oh ok, yeah that character is not a typical Vulcan which they point out. So I would not use her for a basis of comparison on Vulcan culture, she is not the norm. By the way the animation is very well done, I really like the colors used in space. The ships look amazing animated. We've come a long way from the TOS animated series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"