Season 1 / Episode 6: What If... Killmonger Rescued Tony Stark?

I wouldn’t say Killmonger was a genius but he was cunning, resourceful, intelligent and manipulative.

For the most part he played the cards right and even when things didn’t really work out at 100% he still managed to course correct with his resourcefulness. He also made the most out of his connections, both in the military and within Wakanda.

Now the story isn’t finished yet and the only way from the top of that mountain is down.

Personally I do think they did a really good job with Killmonger and how he managed to play the right cards to get exactly what he wanted.

He saved Tony’s life and immediately become in his good graces and outed Obadiah, which solidified that status of a trustworthy and resourceful ally. He then bonded with Tony and since they were similar people the bond grew bigger, they developed the drones together…

Later on they were both on board with getting the vibranium. Killmonger played both sides in the negotation, planed with Klaw and came in late to take Black Panther and Rodey out, while making it seem like they took each other out.

Of course Iron Man then saw through it with the help of Jarvis, since it became personal he wanted revenge and that was basically his downfall because Tony Stark was blindsided by his own pride and Killmonger underestimated capabilities.

The proof of any wrong doing was basically erased by Killmonger. Without proof and the backing of the military because of his war hero status, he still managed to progress his plan. The military came in and took everything single thing from Tony which basically meant that Pepper lost any real means or influence in the bigger picture.

Next step was ambushing Klaw and delivering him as a trophy which worked out as a way of solidifying his approach to Wakanda, coupled with the fact that Killmonger was part of them and basically royal family. He then played a card in form of being an informer for the upcoming attack and last but not least the battle hero card, his actions gave him even more cred with the royal family and the Wakandans. One thing led to another and he naturally became the Black Panther.

Killmonger was cunning, he forced himself to the scene as a savior, gained trust and influence, made use of his abilities, played the cards right and filled a vacuum that he himself created.

Of course from the audience perspective and knowing what we know it’s easier to label him and his actions. On the ground it was Pepper who seem to mistrust him and Shuri who used her genius ability to uncover the truth.

I get how the events play out. But for me, everyone goes about everything in the stupidest way possible. Tony has no reserve security in case the robot loses? He builds the robot just because the dude he met 2 days ago asks? T'Chaka has no questions about this man he doesn't know that has motive for revenge? Etc. Everyone is written like idiots. It didn't work for me

I get how the events play out. But for me, everyone goes about everything in the stupidest way possible. Tony has no reserve security in case the robot loses? He builds the robot just because the dude he met 2 days ago asks? T'Chaka has no questions about this man he doesn't know that has motive for revenge? Etc. Everyone is written like idiots. It didn't work for me
I think you might be nitpicking a little. But if it didn’t really work for you there really isn’t anything I can do about it.

Also these characters are at the begging of their MCU journey, Tony Stark at this point is just a cocky genius bilionaire with a drinking problem. Killmonger saved his life, exposed the orchestrator which was running TS Industries, they drank together, bonded… Killmonger is also T’Chaka’s nephew and the spiting image of his father, he basically slotted in to T’Challa’s place in Wakanda and probably even in T’Chaka’s heart because of the circumstances.

I actually think the writing in this episode is probably the strongest we’ve seen in the series.

Let’s just agree to disagree on those one.

Yeah, we just have to. Cause I don't buy any of that for a second. Even when they are like "Hey. You have been at the center of 3 murders" everyone just brushes that off. Ross I could see, but seriously, come on! Sloppy writing to me

Yeah, we just have to. Cause I don't buy any of that for a second. Even when they are like "Hey. You have been at the center of 3 murders" everyone just brushes that off. Ross I could see, but seriously, come on! Sloppy writing to me
Well it’s a fact what Pepper stated but General Ross is clearly on Killmonger’s side because there’s isn’t any proof of wrongdoing and because he’s also military and a war hero. From then on Pepper as a civilian can do very little since the military took over Stark Industries, everything he had and still works with Killmonger. Also suspension of disbelief.

Of course when Shuri joins the mix then things change dramatically because she has proof to back up her suspicions and both can unite in bringing him down as we see in the mid-season trailer footage.

Well it’s a fact what Pepper stated but General Ross is clearly on Killmonger’s side because there’s isn’t any proof of wrongdoing and because he’s also military and a war hero. From then on Pepper as a civilian can do very little since the military took over Stark Industries, everything he had and still works with Killmonger. Also suspension of disbelief.

Of course when Shuri joins the mix then things change dramatically because she has proof to back up her suspicions and both can unite in bringing him down as we see in the mid-season trailer footage.

Again. I saw the episode so I was following the plot just fine. This accurately describes what was happening, but that doesn't make it good writing or make sense in general. Yeah. T'Chaka can just trust random guy and not ask questions in your story, but that doesn't make me believe your story. The writing here didn't sell the story to me. It just made the other characters seem like idiots in ways they were not before. Sorry, just how I see it

What irked me was they had 2018 Killmonger in the year 2008. I assume the character was only in his early 30s at best in Black Panther. It wouldn’t have made sense he had all his kill notches in 2008 or be a strategic genius when he was just starting out.

I don't understand the love for the Doctor Strange episode. That one is by far my least favorite.
Yeah it’s lower on the ranking for me but I understand why people liked it. It’s a pretty dark episode and much more character driven.

What irked me was they had 2018 Killmonger in the year 2008. I assume the character was only in his early 30s at best in Black Panther. It wouldn’t have made sense he had all his kill notches in 2008 or be a strategic genius when he was just starting out.

Maybe 2018 Kilmonger went back in time to 2008 to change history, knowing how things worked out for him in 2018.

I don't understand the love for the Doctor Strange episode. That one is by far my least favorite.

I understand the love for the Strange episode, but we're all gonna have different opinions on these episodes.

I felt this episode was just okay to fine, but other people think it was great, so, courses for horses.

You could hear in Chadwick's voice that he was weakened at this point already. And the final line from The Watcher....

I wonder if someone noticed this moment in the episode, earlier in the scene just before Killmonger stood atop the cliff looking at the horizon there was a moment where we see the Watcher standing in the background looking at those events and he genuinely looked really sad.

I like this concept of taking characters and merging them together to see what could have happened in different scenarios. I never liked the idea in comics as much as I wanted everything in continuity but maybe I need to go back and read more What If comics. Having this happen on a show and even more so being the first in animation makes it feel separate enough that they can get away with trying anything. Would have been different with films I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"