Supergirl Season 3 NEWS & DISCUSSION Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I like the Zor-El they have. If they ever have need of a Jor-El, Welling could play that.

If Tom Welling plays either Jor-El or Jonathan Kent, I would like to see a passing of the torch moment between he and Tyler Hoechlin.

Hmmmm....I don't want to create another "Smallville" here....

A couple from "Smallville" is fine...over that number, we start getting their fans.

*sighs* we already have an over abundance of extreme fans with another actor already. I certainly don't want anymore.

^ I stand corrected then.
but now I want them to do something with Tom Welling. Can they recast Zor-El?? lol

I like the Zor-El they have, he shares some facial features with Kara which made it very plausible that he is her father...

They should keep Robert Grant as Zor-El recasting shouldn't be done without a good reason so if he's available the job is his. I agree Kelly he does share some facial features with Melissa and that probably helped him get the part in the first place.

I’m not sure precisely how it works… but I think (American) Vancouver productions get extra tax breaks, etc. if they hire Canadian actors (especially for the main cast or recurring). The other Arrowverse shows have at least one token Canuck. So quite apart from stunt casting, Durance on Supergirl could be… advantageou$. :word:

Hmmmm....I don't want to create another "Smallville" here....

A couple from "Smallville" is fine...over that number, we start getting their fans.

*sighs* we already have an over abundance of extreme fans with another actor already. I certainly don't want anymore.

Their fans are already watching most likely.

Yeah I like the Zor-El they have. If they ever have need of a Jor-El, Welling could play that.

I would like that better as well, I'm not a Welling fan, I think he's a pretty wooden actor....but I wouldn't mind that as a legacy choice.

Their fans are already watching most likely.

Fans of the Superman mythos? sure..... fans of the actors? doubtful, most I see on twitter don't like the show. :/

As far as this site, the fans from "Smallville" that post here are fans of Superman first and foremost and are not overtly over the top in their fandom, they are pretty chilled. :)

I’m not sure precisely how it works… but I think (American) Vancouver productions get extra tax breaks, etc. if they hire Canadian actors (especially for the main cast or recurring). The other Arrowverse shows have at least one token Canuck. So quite apart from stunt casting, Durance on Supergirl could be… advantageou$. :word:

They have to by law hire a certain % of Canadian actors. They are already getting a tax break by filming in Vancouver, BC and not LA.

At a certain point, you start seeing the same actors A LOT on the Canadian shot shows. I swear, Orphan Black, Dark Matter, Killjoys, and Wynonna Earp all share the same supporting cast...

I would be down for some of the other Smalleville actors to get one shot roles, with a small chance to return again next year. Not exactly like the Allura/Astra role.

I do wonder, they are saying it is recasting for Allura, but I do wonder if Astra played a role in Reign's creation.

At a certain point, you start seeing the same actors A LOT on the Canadian shot shows. I swear, Orphan Black, Dark Matter, Killjoys, and Wynonna Earp all share the same supporting cast...

I would be down for some of the other Smalleville actors to get one shot roles, with a small chance to return again next year. Not exactly like the Allura/Astra role.

I do wonder, they are saying it is recasting for Allura, but I do wonder if Astra played a role in Reign's creation.

They may be going that direction, since Astra was a part of the Science Guild it seems...

I'm still hoping that they use the Kara was created by Zor-el OR Astra, whichever....not that I want that to be what happened....just the turmoil of thinking that is what happened, and then they prove later that that is not the case. I just love giving Melissa good solid meat to play with in the drama department of the show. :) The fact that her 3 favorite episodes from Season 1 are "Red Faced", "For The Girl Who Has Everything" and "Fallen"...that right there tells you she wants that kind of "cut to the heart" drama and loves to swim in that.

I would like that better as well, I'm not a Welling fan, I think he's a pretty wooden actor....but I wouldn't mind that as a legacy choice.
Agreed, I've never been a Welling fan either.

Also, I thought Astra was in the military guild. If anyone other than Zor-El had a part in the Reign story it should be Alura as part of the justice council, as they would've been the ones to order Zor-El to destroy the Worldkillers.

Last edited:
Agreed, I've never been a Welling fan either.

Also, I thought Astra was in the military guild.

Oh yeah....she was a General wasn't she....but she loved Science and is the one that created Myriad.

But was she a General while on Krypton, or did that come about in the Phantom Zone? Because she was all about the environment on Krypton.

I think WB and DC totally screwed them up when they were on CBS....I think she was probably supposed to be the female version of Zod, because they probably couldn't use Zod, just like they couldn't use Superman for a time....now all of the sudden WB and DC have opened up the flood gates...lol

But I was hoping she would get recast as Lucy Lane.

Speaking of which, what happened to Lucy? I'm assuming the actress was unavailable for S2 because it was like the character dropped straight off the face of the earth (which, given she works in an organization based around aliens, is entirely possible :loco:).

Speaking of which, what happened to Lucy? I'm assuming the actress was unavailable for S2 because it was like the character dropped straight off the face of the earth (which, given she works in an organization based around aliens, is entirely possible :loco:).

Actually, I think the move to Vancouver was the bigger culprit as to why Jenna did not continue in the role.

And on another note.....un-freaking-believable that the award winning writer of the Supergirl Comics Sterling Gates is not a writer on the Supergirl staff, but is now writing on the Flash Staff.

*breathes* I think this has rocked me more than any of the "shipper" crap this season. lol

And he is writing for them and not Supergril probably because of the "shipper" crap that was thrown at him on Twitter. He got slammed hard by both #Sanvers and #Supercorp shippers. Wow, thank you again shipping people, great job.

Oh yeah....she was a General wasn't she....but she loved Science and is the one that created Myriad.

But was she a General while on Krypton, or did that come about in the Phantom Zone? Because she was all about the environment on Krypton.

I think WB and DC totally screwed them up when they were on CBS....I think she was probably supposed to be the female version of Zod, because they probably couldn't use Zod, just like they couldn't use Superman for a time....now all of the sudden WB and DC have opened up the flood gates...lol
Well in the show she was always presented as military, even on Krypton. And yes, she was all about the environment, but I think that was because a large faction of the military guild, starting with Zod, was simply heeding Jor-El's warning about the imminent destruction of the planet. And since Non is traditionally Zod's most devout follower, I'd imagine that's where Astra got her ideas as well. They BECAME environmental terrorists simply because they believed that their planet was about to die after Jor-El (of the Science Guild) declared that to be the case and the justice/security council refused to act.

While I think ALL Kryptonians were somewhat into science as it was a very science-based culture (even their main religion had more of a science-basis), generally speaking, the "science" side of Kara's heritage has come from the House of El, since both Jor-El and Zor-El were both high ranking members of the Science Guild. The House of In-Ze (Alura and Astra's side) was more into the lawmaking/enforcing side of things.

And yes, that news about Sterling Gates sucks. I really wanted him as a writer on Supergirl.

Last edited:
Well in the show she was always presented as military, even on Krypton. And yes, she was all about the environment, but I think that was because a large faction of the military guild, starting with Zod, was simply heeding Jor-El's warning about the imminent destruction of the planet. And since Non is traditionally Zod's most devout follower, I'd imagine that's where Astra got her ideas as well. They BECAME environmental terrorists simply because they believed that their planet was about to die after Jor-El (of the Science Guild) declared that to be the case and the justice/security council refused to act.

While I think ALL Kryptonians were somewhat into science as it was a very science-based culture (even their main religion had more of a science-basis), generally speaking, the "science" side of the Kara's heritage has come from the House of El, since both Jor-El and Zor-El were both high ranking members of the Science Guild. The House of In-Ze (Alura and Astra's side) was more into the lawmaking/enforcing side of things.

And yes, that news about Sterling Gates sucks. I really wanted him as a writer on Supergirl.

I'm so pissed off about that I cannot see straight.....so I'm going to sit down and eat an entire 8 piece bucket of Popeye's Chicken, a large mashed potatoes and a large cajun rice.....along with a gallon of sweet tea.

Yes, that is how we do it in the South.

If Tom Welling plays either Jor-El or Jonathan Kent, I would like to see a passing of the torch moment between he and Tyler Hoechlin.

Clark Kent to Clark Kent????:huh:

Jeez, skip a day and the Supergirl threads just light right up again!:woot:

Surprised and saddened to hear that we're losing Laura Benanti. But then I thought she'd moved on anyway. Has she been in any S2 episodes?

But Erica Durance, that should be damn good! It'll take a few viewings before she's settled into the role of Alura, or she may settle in right away, who knows? She could own the role right away.

Curious what they are going to do with the role though. I would hate for this to be just a return of the holo-projection or simply quick flashbacks. As Kelly says, I hope she has something to do with Reign and includes either Argos City - or a multiverse version of Alura.

A multiverse version will allow some difference in appearance and could give us a living Alura rather than just a hologram or a flashback. So it wouldn't be truly her mother, but they'd still have that connection.

Jeez, skip a day and the Supergirl threads just light right up again!:woot:

Surprised and saddened to hear that we're losing Laura Benanti. But then I thought she'd moved on anyway. Has she been in any S2 episodes?
Yeah Kara talked to hologram Alura earlier this season when Mon-El walked in on them and called Alura a "babe."

And on another note.....un-freaking-believable that the award winning writer of the Supergirl Comics Sterling Gates is not a writer on the Supergirl staff, but is now writing on the Flash Staff.

*breathes* I think this has rocked me more than any of the "shipper" crap this season. lol

And he is writing for them and not Supergril probably because of the "shipper" crap that was thrown at him on Twitter. He got slammed hard by both #Sanvers and #Supercorp shippers. Wow, thank you again shipping people, great job.

What did shippers slam Sterling Gates about?

What did shippers slam Sterling Gates about?

He didn't close properly so they slammed him shut:

silver-gate.jpg

Um... what?
I'm sorry but your scenario is incredibly unlikely to be true. Very few writers when asked to join a writing room can say "no a few people on twitter ignored me. But what I'd really like is to join the writing room of your other really successful show, you can make that happen right?"

What is actually far more likely to have happened is that producers of the Flash liked his writing on Supergirl and had an open spot on their writing team to hire him on. The Supergirl writing room is likely already full with contracted writers who can't be fired because fans want a certain writer on the show.

Um... what?
I'm sorry but your scenario is incredibly unlikely to be true. Very few writers when asked to join a writing room can say "no a few people on twitter ignored me. But what I'd really like is to join the writing room of your other really successful show, you can make that happen right?"

What is actually far more likely to have happened is that producers of the Flash liked his writing on Supergirl and had an open spot on their writing team to hire him on. The Supergirl writing room is likely already full with contracted writers who can't be fired because fans want a certain writer on the show.

Very probable...and I'm not saying he had a choice, what I'm saying is, given the 2 fandoms, he will be much safer with the Flash as long as the "shipping wars" over at Camp Supergirl are louder than the actual fans. And, if he did have a choice, I have a feeling that The Flash would have been it...not that he would have wanted that, but it was merciless...especially since it is his episode that the #Supercorp shippers use in their "Mon-el is an abusive boyfriend" schtick....I know that you have to have a thick skin in Hollywood for sure, but that had to have been horrible for him as someone who loves the character of Supergirl, finally gets his chance to write for the show, is so happy and excited about that you put out a tweet for everyone to watch and then you get brutally slammed for what you wrote. So, it is just as possible that when the slot came open for The Flash, he said.....hell yeah, and waved a nice gesture to the Supergirl shippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"