Supergirl Season 4, Episode 17: "All About Eve" (SPOILERS)

That would tell us nothing since both versions have them, lol.

Okay, damn, yeah... I misheard when Lex was putting them on Red Daughter as some way to tell them apart - and I never noticed those earrings before... Huh... :confused:

And looking back to see how far back they go, they were there in the Midvale episode, though the original actress who played young Kara didn't have them. A little fluke I guess.

Well with the pictures I've and the Sneak Peek, it looks the writers are back too a loaded episode of too many storylines. Hope Im wrong.

In the preview? Rara's ears were pierced before she got sick, pierced back as early as the 4th episode of the season, long before James was shot....Months before...

In the preview? Rara's ears were pierced before she got sick, pierced back as early as the 4th episode of the season, long before James was shot....Months before...

First, welcome to the League of Nitpickers! :cwink:

Second, I didn’t pay much attention to the earliest scenes of Red Daughter - and didn’t notice if she was wearing earrings. If she was, then based on “The House of L,” this is a kind of retroactive continuity error. But according to Arrowverse Wiki, the 4th episode (“Ahimsa”) is when the atmosphere was laced with kryptonite. This affected RD and she was sequestered for her protection. Upon release, Luthor (as per the flashback in “The House of L”) pierced her ears. Therefore, if she only sported earrings after episode 4, then there’s no continuity error. (Again, I didn’t notice one way or the other.)

In any case… the ear-piercing scene seems like a strange (and unnecessary?) detail to include. Without it, we’d just assume that RD was a perfect duplicate of Kara - right down to the pierced ears. But with its presence, there’s now scrutiny from the League of Nitpickers. So why open that door? Unless… the earrings become a crucial clue/plot point in a future episode… :thf::shrug:

First, welcome to the League of Nitpickers! :cwink:

Second, I didn’t pay much attention to the earliest scenes of Red Daughter - and didn’t notice if she was wearing earrings. If she was, then based on “The House of L,” this is a kind of retroactive continuity error. But according to Arrowverse Wiki, the 4th episode (“Ahimsa”) is when the atmosphere was laced with kryptonite. This affected RD and she was sequestered for her protection. Upon release, Luthor (as per the flashback in “The House of L”) pierced her ears. Therefore, if she only sported earrings after episode 4, then there’s no continuity error. (Again, I didn’t notice one way or the other.)

In any case… the ear-piercing scene seems like a strange (and unnecessary?) detail to include. Without it, we’d just assume that RD was a perfect duplicate of Kara - right down to the pierced ears. But with its presence, there’s now scrutiny from the League of Nitpickers. So why open that door? Unless… the earrings become a crucial clue/plot point in a future episode… :thf::shrug:

Not nitpicking, but just noting continuity errors. The original actress playing young Kara did not have them when she left Krypton, but the newer actress did. I may have missed an ep, but I think 'Human for a Day' was the only time she was weak enough to have her body damaged.(?)

As for Lex putting the earnings in, I'm sure they are more than just decoration or a way to mimic Supergirl in every respect. Lex has planned from the start to have Red Daughter steal Supergirl's identity, but I think they are also a fail-safe for him. Rara has shown a tendency to benevolence that would not fit in with his plans, and he can't take the risk of her balking. So I think he's all set to control her directly should he need to.

Nitpickers are going to do that no matter what the writers do....check to see if her ears are pierced in the nosebleed scene right before she gets deathly ill....if they are, then all is well.

And Alex and Jonn would notice that....

As for Lex putting the earnings in, I'm sure they are more than just decoration or a way to mimic Supergirl in every respect. Lex has planned from the start to have Red Daughter steal Supergirl's identity, but I think they are also a fail-safe for him.

Yeah, perhaps “mind-control earrings” or the like :wow: - setting up some future plot point that justifies putting that scene into the flashback montage (even if it produces a [minor] continuity problem).

Just got home and am about halfway through the ep, but right now I'm just happy I figured out where I recognized Bitsie from:

giphy.gif

It was driving me crazy!

Ok just finished the ep. Unsurprisingly a step down from the last two A+ eps, but still a pretty solid ep, imo.

The good:
-Everything with Supergirl/Alex/Lena was great. I LOVE this team-up, and I love that Lena and Supergirl finally got over their stupid rift. Though, Lena still hasn't shared what she's been up to with Lex for the last couple of weeks, so I feel like they're saving that for more unnecessary drama, which would be dumb. Hope they surprise me there.

-That White House attack sequence was appropriately nightmarish. Well-directed, imo. The last episode Ben Bray directed for this show, "City of Lost Children" from S2, was pretty lackluster from a writing standpoint, but on the directing front, it too had some suitably epic/striking imagery, like this:
Supergirl-facing-the-Daxamite-invasion-supergirl-2015-tv-series-40488498-540-253.gif

So yeah, you're alright, Ben Bray. Hope you start to direct for this show more often.

-Lillian! Had no idea she was gonna be in this ep, and I'm always glad to see her. Interesting how her whole approach to dealing with Lena changed when her preferred child got free again.

-Nice to see Haley coming around. Also, am I seeing things, or does it seem like even Lockwood is starting doubt this proposed narrative?

The bad:
-It was nice to see Carl Lumbly again but that whole J'onn/M'yrnn subplot was obvious filler. Well-acted and not entirely uninteresting filler, to be fair, but still filler.

-The "uninteresting filler" title goes to James/Kelly. I get that they want to flesh out the Kelly character and ingratiate her to the audience since she'll be a regular next season, but giving her a plotline with her brother is NOT the way! On this show, that's almost a surefire way to make someone less interesting.

-I thought the way they found out Eve was in Washington was REALLY dumb. As if thousands of people didn't see that "glitch" and immediately post it online? Please, it's 2019! Would've been better if it had been a glitch that was so fast it was imperceptible to the human eye and so only Kara was able to see it. Never hurts to get a reminder of Kara's super-senses, and I'm pretty sure the glitch was on purpose to lure Supergirl there, so it makes more sense to make it something only she could see, anyway.

-I feel like, based on what we got to know of her last week, Red Daughter seemed to be enjoying that last bit a little too much.

But yeah, still a pretty good episode overall, and next week again looks quite good.

Also, am I seeing things, or does it seem like even Lockwood is starting doubt this proposed narrative?

I think so too. The camera lingered too much on Lockwood’s reaction for it to not be intentional IMO.

I thought the way they found out Eve was in Washington was REALLY dumb. As if thousands of people didn't see that "glitch" and immediately post it online? Please, it's 2019! Would've been better if it had been a glitch that was so fast it was imperceptible to the human eye and so only Kara was able to see it. Never hurts to get a reminder of Kara's super-senses, and I'm pretty sure the glitch was on purpose to lure Supergirl there, so it makes more sense to make it something only she could see, anyway.

Yes to this!

Was Lex in this episode? I haven’t seen it yet

Red Daughter is just Zack Snyder's Supergirl.

• Brenda Strong was great in this episode. I really liked that first scene with her and Lena
  • Surprised they're taking a break but coming back on Easter?
  • That scene in the White House was pretty scary
  • Not a fan of the new James storyline we're getting
  • Still don't care for the J'onn and M'yrnn stuff. Didn't like it last season either.
I think Lena is gonna find out about Kara being Supergirl this season

-I thought the way they found out Eve was in Washington was REALLY dumb. As if thousands of people didn't see that "glitch" and immediately post it online? Please, it's 2019! Would've been better if it had been a glitch that was so fast it was imperceptible to the human eye and so only Kara was able to see it. Never hurts to get a reminder of Kara's super-senses, and I'm pretty sure the glitch was on purpose to lure Supergirl there, so it makes more sense to make it something only she could see, anyway.
Did they confirm that others could see it, if so I missed that and I agree.

For an episode entitled All About Eve, it didn't feature her all that much or wasn't so much about her.

I liked the team up between Kara, Chyler and Lena. I am glad they believed Kara and wanted to help her.

Where was Nia this week?

I thought Lex would be around too. I was surprised that Lillian showed up though.

If Katie McGrath went into movies, maybe she could get some roles that Keira Knightley rejects.

I thought the episode was ok.

The way Haley took those donuts made it seem like that's all she cared about. :hehe:

These guys got J'onn yelling that he's the Martian Manhunter but barely show him as such. :argh:

The PTSD moments were a surprise in terms of how it was depicted.

The White House scene was well done given the limitations of on how violence can be depicted because the concept is scary.

The way Haley took those donuts made it seem like that's all she cared about. :hehe:

These guys got J'onn yelling that he's the Martian Manhunter but barely show him as such. :argh:

The White House scene was well done given the limitations of on how violence can be depicted because the concept is scary.

They should make it a running joke now, that all she wants are donuts. She could always have one in her hand.

Which is good because the cgi and his stunt double are horrible. I don't know if it was David or his stunt double in the flying scene with Kara, but when he flew up next to Kara you could tell he lost his balance....

Really liked most things about this ep. Only minor quibles are on the obvious glitch with Tessmacher's image generator, as as stated above, it would have been all over the place with people mentioning it.

Clearly though, she was there to lure Supergirl as well as turn that Senator back to voting for the repeal.

Really loved that they finally buried the hatchet on the whole SG/Lena stand-off, and that Kara admitted that she has a tendency to 'see red.' There's still the whole thing with Lena working with Lex to 'help' James, so they'll get back to something like it soon, unfortunately.

Despite it not being part of the main plot, I really liked the scenes with J'onn and his 'father.' Very well written and acted - and it also got him off of Earth while the shat was hitting the wildly rotating blades...

Also liked the Lena/Lillian scenes and the implication that Lex was planning on murdering his mother. Do wish they had Lex in this ep though, as he is a great villain.

For an episode entitled All About Eve, it didn't feature her all that much or wasn't so much about her.

I liked the team up between Kara, Chyler and Lena. I am glad they believed Kara and wanted to help her.

Where was Nia this week?

I thought Lex would be around too. I was surprised that Lillian showed up though.

If Katie McGrath went into movies, maybe she could get some roles that Keira Knightley rejects.

In a throwaway line from SG, Nia was at the Fortress trying to dream up Lex's location.

My major quibble would be Supergirl still being so gullible as to dive right into a trap. They couldn't have lured her in any better if they had just used a spot light. She was supposed to see that car and go there, so obviously that's what she did... If she hadn't, then we could have had a great SG/RD fight right on the White House lawn!

As to the scene in the Oval Office, that was intense. Esp when she just rose right up and lased them all. Good thing James got out in time!:oldrazz: Then there was that little smile at the end, as if she was enjoying payback for what happened to that boy in Kaznia.

I don't think that Lockwood is having second thoughts though. He was just given a great example of why aliens are a threat, and looking at the next episode, he's going to be using that in his drive to find Supergirl. And in full CoL garb no less.

What I hope to see in the next ep, is a public plea from Supergirl not to believe that she attacked the White House. There has to be some attempt like that, even if it would be futile. Also can't wait to see her and RD finally meet and face off. We need an awesome, smack down, drag out fight for that, much like the one between SG and Reign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"