Season 5 Episode 10 Discussion "Mother's Mercy"

There's something about Dorne that seems to bring bad writing out of the writers.

So, that's GAME OF THRONES Season 5 finished. A very contentious, controversial season, which carried over into reactions to the finale - don't worry, no spoilers here. Some have said that there isn't anything in this season that hasn't been there since the beginning, therefore the criticisms must be disingenuous. But I think it could be a "straw that broke the camel's back" type thing, where people can only take so much of it before it wears them down.

And it's not just the treatment of women and the reliance on their rape and sexual objectification as juicy plot devices, deeply problematic as that may be. On a deeper level, it's just this all-pervasive feeling of constant misery and gut-punches. It's starting to feel like the best way to describe the experience of watching an episode of GAME OF THRONES is Michael Keaton's monologue in BIRDMAN about getting hit in the testicles with a tiny hammer over and over and over. There's nothing wrong with shocking your viewers (or readers) and breaking their hearts, but when you do it ALL THE TIME it ceases to be shocking. In fact, it just disengages you. You stop actually getting invested in the plight of what few remaining characters you don't hate because them somehow getting screwed over and whatever the worst case scenario may be coming to pass becomes heavily telegraphed, to the point where when we had a rare happy moment in this episode my first reaction was, "This is going to go wrong."

Don't get me wrong, there is still much about GAME OF THRONES that is highly compelling, and I'll continue to watch. But I can definitely see why the shine has come off for many. The showrunners find themselves in an interesting position, because they have now for the most part run out of material from the existing books to adapt. Season 6 will see them outpace the books and come to their own version of the conclusion readers have been waiting decades for. I'm both fascinated and nervous to see what the showrunners do with this opportunity.

Mel isnt easy to kill. Certainly not by normal means. Shes hundreds of years old, can drink poison, is resistant to extreme termperatures,etc. she is sustained by powerful magic.

I do have a theory that she can die from Valyrian Steel or Dragonglass. If they can do in White Walkers...

Also, while alot of people think Mel will resurrect Jon, we've havent seen her ever do anything like that herself. In fact, she was awed and astonished by Thoros reviving the dead - believing no one should have that power.

And yea.. no horses, food, supplies and half his army gone overnight, she realized Stannis doesnt have a hope and she has been wrong.
For that reason, if it happens, her resurrection of the dude may not go as planned and may have some sort of defect or whatever as his character development throughout the season.

I cry BS on Kit Haringtons statement.

Until he has shave and haircut

Winter has come but there will be no snow. :cwink:

I think alot of people are going to be disappointed if they expect Jon to be resurrected by Mel, Azor Ahai reborn and claim the Iron Throne, maybe with Daeny....etc

Jons story has always been in the North. I forsee the Nights King somehow in his future.

I'd be disappointed if we don't find out who Jon's real parents are.

tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo2_r2_400.gif
tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo6_r2_400.gif

tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo4_r4_400.gif
tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo3_r2_400.gif

tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo5_r1_400.gif
tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo1_r4_400.gif

tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo8_r4_400.gif
tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo7_r4_400.gif

tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo10_r5_400.gif
tumblr_npi2pb45zu1s6bxzqo9_r7_400.gif

http://stormbornvalkyrie.tumblr.com/post/121577371859/game-of-thrones-season-5-episode-posters-insp

jon won't stay dead. i know this not because of whatever in-world reason they come up with, but for the purposes of the storytelling.

if jon is dead:
1. they wasted a ton of time setting his character up and his backstory for no reason, plot-wise.

2. melisandre's intense interest in jon and riding back to castle black would have been for nothing and completely pointless.

3. too many signals he's coming back, from sam saying he always comes back, to the hints about his parents, to him killing the white walker and the night king noticing/challenging him.

if he doesn't come back, it's less "shocking" and more pointless, meandering, and poor storytelling. not sure how, but he will be back.

That all depends on ones perspective- im refering specifically to ur comment about all the set up for Snow being meaningless meandering and poor story telling. Another view point is that its brilliant and an accurate portrayal of the real world. Where great men are destined to do great things only to be taken out in their prime- not an all to uncommon occurrence. And for a book about who is to be king, with everyone believing Snow to be said person its an awesome and controversial plot twist.

Its likely that Snow is Azhor (sp?)- forgive me im horrible w.names but im sure u know who im referencing- he's probably him reborn and will be played by another actir but still Snow. So yeah im inclined to think u are right and some form of Snow will be back- but if not i can definitely see value in that as well. GOT is anything but predictable u silly rabbit...lol

Question : we see Danaerys dropping her ring when the Dothraki arrive, anyone knows why ? Was it Drogo's engagement ring ?

Question : we see Danaerys dropping her ring when the Dothraki arrive, anyone knows why ? Was it Drogo's engagement ring ?

I honestly felt that Daenerys dropped the ring so she could bang some Dothrakis, but she's leaving the ring there so when the search party comes aka Legolas, he finds the ring and:
[YT]z9Uz1icjwrM[/YT]

I could be wrong, but was that a body double used during Cersia's walk of atonement? In some shot's it looked like Lena Headey's head cgi'd ontop a different body, and i don't recall Lena Headey being that voluptuous…..

My guess is next season we will see very little storyline that takes place from the wall, and Im guessing they have probably already filmed next seasons scenes with Kit (provided he does come back) so as to to not spoil it if he were to show up on set for during the filming of the new season.

I think if he does comeback it would be the very last scene of next season.

I could be wrong, but was that a body double used during Cersia's walk of atonement? In some shot's it looked like Lena Headey's head cgi'd ontop a different body, and i don't recall Lena Headey being that voluptuous…..

Thought that myself, but if she has had kids her breast will have gone bigger so who knows?

This season finale reminded me of the way the movie serials of the 40's would end, with the hero apparently facing an inescapable fate/death.
Don't miss the next thrilling episode!
Did Sansa and Theon jump to their deaths?
Did Brienne kill Stannis?
Will Myrcella survive?
How much will Cersei's payback be a b**ch!
Will Nymeria become Arya's seeing-eye direwolf?
Don't you dare miss the next chapter in the continuing saga of Game of Thrones!

To me the only survival thru to next season that would seem as contrived as the 40's serial's is that of Sansa and Theon. Their fall/leap certainly seemed to be un-survivable.

Jon Snow will be "revived" by Melisandre. It seems pretty clear. Her interest in Snow, her return to Castle Black after, I believe, she realizes that Stannis is not the leader her visions promise, and the ability of followers of the Lord of Light to raise the dead seems to be clear indicators. Also as The Riddler points out Jon Snow is a crucial character given that he is the focal point of multiple plot lines. The primary being that the White Walkers based on the ending of the Hardhome battle recognize that Jon Snow is their primary adversary.

Last edited:
That was Lenas head CGI'd to a body double.

She performed the scene in a bodystocking.

This season finale reminded me of the way the movie serials of the 40's would end, with the hero apparently facing an inescapable fate/death.
Don't miss the next thrilling episode!
Did Sansa and Theon jump to their deaths?
Did Brienne kill Stannis?
Will Myrcella survive?
How much will Cersei's payback be a b**ch!
Will Nymeria become Arya's seeing-eye direwolf?
Don't you dare miss the next chapter in the continuing saga of Game of Thrones!

To me the only survival thru to next season that would seem as contrived as the 40's serial's is that of Sansa and Theon. Their fall/leap certainly seemed to be un-survivable.

Jon Snow will be "revived" by Melisandre. It seems pretty clear. Her interest in Snow, her return to Castle Black after, I believe, she realizes that Stannis is not the leader her visions promise, and the ability of followers of the Lord of Light to raise the dead seems to be clear indicators. Also as The Riddler points out Jon Snow is a crucial character given that he is the focal point of multiple plot lines. The primary being that the White Walkers based on the ending of the Hardhome battle recognize that Jon Snow is their primary adversary.

This is entirely a fault with the director and way the scene was shot. In the books the blizzard has built up snow drifts 20 feet high along the walls of Winterfell, which would conceivably cushion a fall. The way it was shot didn't quite capture that.

This is entirely a fault with the director and way the scene was shot. In the books the blizzard has built up snow drifts 20 feet high along the walls of Winterfell, which would conceivably cushion a fall. The way it was shot didn't quite capture that.

I agree. Just a mention in a preceding episode re. that would have set up an "oh yeah, now I remember" moment.

Oh, one more thing. Whether Jon is dead or not, I hope someone slaughters the entire Night's Watch. Or at least Thorne and Olly. F*** those two p****s.

pretty much this I'm truly sadden by what happened to John
where was ghost?

disappointed that wasn't Lena doing the walk
effin actress with the BS demand :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"