Supergirl SEASON 6 EPISODE 17: “I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE ” (SPOILERS)

Brierrose

Civilian
Reaction score
Official Synopsis:
LEX RETURNS – When Lex Luthor (guest star Jon Cryer) appears by Nyxly’s (Peta Sergeant) side, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) and team must deal with the emotional fallout of facing their two biggest foes at the same time. Alex (Chyler Leigh) makes plans for the perfect proposal to Kelly (Azie Tesfai), but work keeps getting in the way. The episode was directed by Jesse Warn and written by Dana Horgan & Nicki Holcomb (#617). Original airdate 10/26/2021.

Promo

So the Lex Luthor that returned is from the future in the 31st Century. Now we can see the reasons for the setup for the finale.

Well I found this episode rather delightful, tbh. Lex coming from the future was a surprising and welcome twist to this whole scenario (and yes, clearly setting up certain guest stars for the finale). I'm sorry, I find his dynamic with Nyxly quite entertaining. Peta and Jon have really fun chemistry, imo. I love Jon's Lex but he was definitely wearing out his welcome by the end of S5...this was a nice way to make him feel a bit fresh again, I thought. The Kara/Lena scenes were really great this week too. They've certainly come a long way.

I also think it's a nice touch using the totems to revisit big stuff from our main characters' pasts. First Kara, now J'onn. Feels like a fitting device for the final season to me. Also Esme shouting for Supergirl as soon as Lex and Nyxly showed up was just the cutest damned thing. And the proposal was sweet too.

So in the climactic bar scene, Supergirl and MM swoop down to the rescue — and land in typical superhero fashion. But… doesn’t the bar have a roof? Shouldn’t at least some "roof shrapnel" be falling to the ground? Or is that one of those pedantic details that we just ignore? :ninja:

A thoroughly enjoyable episode. I believe that tied off J’onn’s story. The only possible thing I can see left for him is to decide to live on Mars with M’gann and his brother part time, I don’t see him giving up being grandpa.

I guess we’ll find out some of what Lex was doing in the 31st century and I think it will tie into the bad news Brainy gets in the next episode. I wonder if Brainy’s going to have to go back to the 31st century and part ways with Nia. Remember he was only supposed to be in the 21st century until it was safe for him to go home. But where is his home now. Lena faced off with her abuser and won, good for her. I loved Nyxly’s initial attitude toward Lex but understand by his actions why she agreed to be friends. But Lex’s actions can never be trusted, even Otis was stumped. Esme continues to be adorable, the little actress did a great job. Esme’s got the whole secret identity thing down, even in a crisis she remembered to shout for Supergirl not aunt Kara.

Good to see Kara’s PZ trauma wasn’t forgotten. My gut says once the finale credits roll we will be able to look back and see hints to Kara’s ending were sprinkled throughout the season.

So in the climactic bar scene, Supergirl and MM swoop down to the rescue — and land in typical superhero fashion. But… doesn’t the bar have a roof? Shouldn’t at least some "roof shrapnel" be falling to the ground? Or is that one of those pedantic details that we just ignore? :ninja:
your forgetting that J'onn can phase throw walls (or in this case ceiling's) he could have been holding onto Supergirl to phase her too... or at least that's probably the "TV show logic" they used to justify the scene without explaining

The Danvers/Olsen family is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"