Secret Invasion

PhotoJones

Avenger
Reaction score
Marvel released a trailer for the upcoming Secret Invasion storyline and miniseries. Be warned. What you are about to see is quite possible the ****tiest trailer Marvel has done yet, with literally no new art or details. Bendis has this to say:

Bendis said:
Basically it’s me and Leinil Yu putting the exclamation point on this Skrull story. The miniseries in and of itself has a beginning, middle and end like Civil War, but if you’ve been following what’s been going on – it’s a huge payoff, but if you’re just reading Secret Invasion, you’ll get a full, large-scale Marvel Universe story.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=129955

Yes, it really did. It's worse then releasing nothing at all.

So after Bendis is done with Secret Invasion how long do you think it'll be before he writes another Event?

Who knows? That's not something that anyone can predict.

It'd be nice if he let the reins go for a while, let the new blood play with the center stage, especially with the Avengers titles.

That's NOT going to happen. I wish it would, but Bendis on the Avengers is Marvel's excuse to print money.

You know, I'd like to see Bru write a big event. But I don't think it's his style.

That's NOT going to happen. I wish it would, but Bendis on the Avengers is Marvel's excuse to print money.

Of course it won't. Hell, if I was Marvel I wouldn't remove him. I'm expecting about 3-5 more years of Bendis on the Avengers before he gets bored and moves on.

I actually liked the Skrull teaser. Nothing new, but it was good clean fun.

I'm totally psyched for Secret Invasion. Bendis hasn't steered me wrong yet, and I'm in it for the long run.

Brubaker will step up when he's good and ready. It's not like Marvel is run by Nazis. If someone like Ed or Dan (Slott) come up with something mind blowing like Civil War or Secret Invasion, you damn well know Quesada won't just ignore them and then pump out five more Bendis books.

If the material is there, the money will be there. Which means the book is going to get made.

Everyone is just so damn cynical about the comic book business. Is there really no other outlet for fanboy frustrations?

The trailer wasn't bad per se, just didn't add anything to it.

Yeah, that was kind of boring. Skrulls are among us. I get it. I guess it might've been cool for people who haven't been following Marvel's comics in the first place. Of course, those same people probably wouldn't have any context to put stuff like Skrullektra in. I don't know.

Marvel released a trailer for the upcoming Secret Invasion storyline and miniseries. Be warned. What you are about to see is quite possible the ****tiest trailer Marvel has done yet, with literally no new art or details. Bendis has this to say:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=129955

I've seen kids on YouTube make something better than that trailer.

As for the storyline, my answer to WHO DO YOU TRUST? is, "Not Bendis."

I mean, really, can he possibly write a story and feel like a man without the need for retcons, character assassinations, and downright cliche'? He has botched every single event so far and I am expected to trust him for a third? **** that.

I'll sadly inevitably buy it, but I dread every page. Every page.

I've seen kids on YouTube make something better than that trailer.

As for the storyline, my answer to WHO DO YOU TRUST? is, "Not Bendis."

I mean, really, can he possibly write a story and feel like a man without the need for retcons, character assassinations, and downright cliche'? He has botched every single event so far and I am expected to trust him for a third? **** that.

I'll sadly inevitably buy it, but I dread every page. Every page.

Hence the name, right? But really, to play devil's advocate, there are some things to look forward to. Well, two things, actually. One is some pretty Yu art. The second is the end. When it's over, it's over. Until the next time Bendis handles an event. :(

Hence the name, right? But really, to play devil's advocate, there are some things to look forward to. Well, two things, actually. One is some pretty Yu art. The second is the end. When it's over, it's over. Until the next time Bendis handles an event. :(

There will always be a next time. Bendis is like Dr. Claw in that way.

I mean Marvel always hands this guy the keys to the MU without any consideration and it is getting old. I haven't seen a writer this intent on wanting to transform the universe with every storyarc as Bendis. And I suppose I could forgive him if his execution rarely worked with his ideas. For this sort of thing to even possibly work you need an ultimate sense of continuity. To Bendis, that is a punchline.

Yu hasn't been in his 90's prime for much besides covers these days.

I've mostly abandoned much hope of this being good, or having enough pro's to outdo the con's. Fool me once, and all that jazz.

There will always be a next time. Bendis is like Dr. Claw in that way.

I mean Marvel always hands this guy the keys to the MU without any consideration and it is getting old. I haven't seen a writer this intent on wanting to transform the universe with every storyarc as Bendis.

John Byrne.

And I suppose I could forgive him if his execution rarely worked with his ideas. For this sort of thing to even possibly work you need an ultimate sense of continuity. To Bendis, that is a punchline.

I agree.

Yu hasn't been in his 90's prime for much besides covers these days.

I've mostly abandoned much hope of this being good, or having enough pro's to outdo the con's. Fool me once, and all that jazz.

Yu had a cleaner style in the late 90's, but I don't consider it to be better. I like the the uber-grimey, moody asthetic to his art these days.

I'd never seen that pic of Tony and Jessica kissing. Dell'Otto draw that?

Didn't think there was any art for S.I. already, I'll look at this later.

John Byrne.

Point. But I would argue Byrne had more unquestioned hits or collaborations than Bendis, but naturally that is my heavilly biased opinion. Byrne was also yesteryear. Bendis is today and the near future.

Cool. Bendis also seems to have problems with catering to an audience almost thrives on controversy.

Yu had a cleaner style in the late 90's, but I don't consider it to be better. I like the the uber-grimey, moody asthetic to his art these days.

It has it's moments but I don't care for it much. Not when I have to see misshapen Avengers fighting misshapen ninjas with everyone seeming to have the same grimace. It is like Finch only with less detail. I prefer the cleaner styles sometimes. A lot of artists have sacrificed conveying clear action with being "unique" and it F'ing kills them; Bachelo being the case-in-point.

Point. But I would argue Byrne had more unquestioned hits or collaborations than Bendis, but naturally that is my heavilly biased opinion. Byrne was also yesteryear. Bendis is today and the near future.

Byrne was unquestionably a better creator, but his ego was just as big (if not bigger) and his control over the continuity of his books and any book that might be tied to his books was equally as oppressive.

It has it's moments but I don't care for it much. Not when I have to see misshapen Avengers fighting misshapen ninjas with everyone seeming to have the same grimace. It is like Finch only with less detail. I prefer the cleaner styles sometimes. A lot of artists have sacrificed conveying clear action with being "unique" and it F'ing kills them; Bachelo being the case-in-point.

Bachalo rules, you watch your mouth. :p

The everyone grimacing thing is something I almost find to be tongue in cheek. The story is so ****ing dour and paranoid, I kind of interpret it to be Yu's commentary on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"