Secret Wars (Spoilers)

Corporal

Civilian
Reaction score
I was rummaging through my old stuff ( I just recently got BACK into comics, etc) and I found a tape "Secret Wars," a 100 minute animatedvideo based on Spider-man. Now I the nresearched this on the web, and turns out the limited edition (12 issue? I think) comic book came out at one point. Basically the same story, The Beyonder wants to see who will prevail in a battle of Good Vs Evil in a far off planet. But then in the animated video they teleport spider-man back to new york, after saying farewell to his team, where its literally in pieces. Spider man is with Madame Web an the beyonder and turns out the 'Secret War' was just a test for the real threat to come. Spider man and his alternate reality alllies: Scarlet spider, a mutated spiderman, a powerless spider (please someone explain who he is), a multi-millionare armored spidey, and a spidey with Doc Oc's arms. The team of spider men are in the Scarlet Spider's reality and they must work togethor to stop Spider Carnage (Scarlet spider's clone, fused with the carnage symbiote in Scarlett Spider's reality) from Destroying the world and all the other alternate reality worlds. This also features, Kingpin, the Green Goblin and the hob goblin.

Could someone tell me if the animated video (with the spidermaan follow up) is anything related to the comic, and which on is the "Real" story. I would really love this animated video I saw to have been the real comic story-line as it was very interestin and exciting to watch.

Anyone who has seen this video or knows about the Secret Wars please this thread is for you. I just want to know if the fore-mentioned spidey stuff is true in comics, and let this be a secret wars discussion thread. I just need someone who knows to explain it all.

The video you have is the final few episodes of the last season from the 90's Spider-Man cartoon. You can sometimes pick up bootlegs of the entire series on ebay. I scored a copy a while ago which was semi-decent quality.

The Secret War 12 issue series from the 80's (or whenever it was) is fairly similar to the cartoon story line. Beyonder gathers a bunch of heroes and pits them against a bunch of villains on some far away place in space. Only differences are characters involved and little story line points.

If you didn't know also, the Secret Wars was when Spider-Man also recieved his black alien costume. I read through the series a few weeks ago and thought it came across as a little dated, but kinda fun nonetheless as a big cross over event.

Would you say it is sofar as big as Civil War? And so the ending to the animated video I have with all the kickass spiderman was just part of the animated series only?

I think I misinterpreted the question since I'm half asleep.

I don't believe there is a storyline/arc in any of the comics from Marvel 616 cannon that has Spider-Man hopping dimensions, fighting Spider-Carnage while teamed up with a bunch of clones of himself from other dimensions, then going off and meeting Stan Lee in yet another dimension. It seemed like a skewed take on the clone saga while poking fun at it, and trying to tie up the series with Peters search for Mary-Jane through, yep you guessed it... ANOTHER dimension. Which, was the Spider-Man Unlimted cartoon from a few years later supposedly, but I never watched that.

Also, regarding Stan Lee appearances, if you check the Marvel.com solicitations for the next few months, there are a bunch of titles coming out where Stan Lee stars along side some heroes and villains in thier own books.

Corporal said:
And so the ending to the animated video I have with all the kickass spiderman was just part of the animated series only?

What do you Mean????:confused: :spidey:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Wars_II

Info on Secret Warss II

---

Spider-Man TAS (The Animated Series) is one of the greatest cartoon shows ever! along with Batman TAS, X-Men TAS, Transformers and other great shows like that. I suggest buying a copy of a dvd from ebay cause only select episodes have been released and there doesnt seem like they will released the DVD's unleess they changed theri minds near the relase of Spider-Man 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_The_Animated_Series

Yeah, the video you have is only half of the very last season of the entire animated series from the 90's.

It's kinda hard to have a bigger event than some cosmic event that has heroes and villains pitted against each other. While the Secret Wars comics has some good moments, I do, like I said, see it as a little dated. Mind you, I've read through Amazing issue from issue 1 to around 140 thus far, so old comics are fine by me. I just thought the writing in Secret War was a little average and tame. Even for its time. For nostalgic reason, yeah sure go and read it, it's great to see all those moments in the 12 issue series.
And, Civil War seems like a slow burner so far. The story just been set up and it hits wayyyy closer to home. I can relate to things like civil liberties, the patriot act and government legislation... but can I relate to fighting a team of my most hated combatants in the middle of space with Galactus sitting on a mountain with his poker face... not really, heh.
So yeah, with 2 issue done with CW, it's a bit hard to compare to 12 issue of SW and 20 something years of stories that have come after it.

Head on over to Spiderfan.org to read summaries and reviews on the SW and animated series.

HULK KICKS BUTT
issue4.jpg

Plus Secret Wars had some huge ties to the Marvel Universe....or ramifications....that's what I meant to say.

It introduced the black Costume which became Venom.

It introduced new characters Spider Woman II, Volcanna and Titanna.

It was where Thing left the FF and was replaced by She Hulk.

I have the Spider-man series and the TPB of Secret Wars. I like the actual comics better than that show. As for the SW being as big as CW? I don't know, the repercussions from SW are still here today with Venom running around and Doom still missing that sweet sweet omnipotence :doom: but the way it's heading a chunk of CW will likely be retconned.

I remember the old Spidey "SC" episodes. Too few villains, if you ask me.

Those were pretty good episodes, although the whole ''meeting-Stan-Lee'' thing and Unlimited weren't the best things to grace my screen... :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"