Is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 based on The Secret Wars?

socool

True
Reaction score
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/12/is-marvel-plotting-a-secret-wars-video-game/

Secret Wars, the 1984-1985 limited series that launched a toy line, introduced Spider-Man’s black costume and marked the beginning of the crossover era, looms large in Marvel history. The 12-issue comic spawned an immediate sequel, and has been revisited or referenced more recently in Beyond!, New Avengers: The Illuminati and Spider-Man and the Secret Wars.
But now, more than 25 years after the conclusion of Secret Wars, is Marvel planning a return to the Beyonder’s Battleworld — in a video game? It certainly looks that way: Siliconera discovers that, just last week , Marvel filed a trademark for “Secret Wars” that covers everything from software and video-game cartridges to bicycle helmets and sunglasses.
The website points out the registration could be for the third installment of Activision’s Marvel: Ultimate Alliance; the second game, released last year, closely followed the events of the 2006-2007 crossover Civil War. There’s little preventing a sequel from mimicking a decades-old Marvel miniseries (Destructoid certainly hopes it isn’t for another Ultimate Alliance, saying “that cash-cow has been milked rotten at this point”).
However, it’s perhaps just as likely that, following Disney’s $4-billion purchase of Marvel last year, any plumbing of the publisher’s back catalog would be done by Disney Interactive Studios for its own games. “We are evaluating the entire Marvel library,” Disney Interactive’s Mark Orgel said last spring. “Not just the characters that everybody knows and loves from the motion pictures today, but the little-known characters.”
So, sure, why not the 25-year-old Secret Wars? Although conceived by then-Marvel Editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter to help introduce a line of Mattel action figures, the series’ concept translates easily to role-playing video games: A cosmic entity known as the Beyonder teleports numerous superheroes and supervillains to a world stocked with alien weaponry and technology, then pits them against each other, with the winners promised anything they desire.
Hmmmm. Interesting. Could be cool...

I loved Secret Wars.Although I prefer Infinity Gauntlet.This could also be for a superhero squad game.

Maybe the game can combine both the Secret Wars and Infinity Gauntlet.

A loose adaptation would be fun. If they do a third MUA game, and I hope they do, it'd be a good way to make a back-to-basics, all-the-heroes-and-villains-faction-off-and-fight (and various other hyphenated phrases) kind of game.

If that's the case it would already be leagues better than MUA 2.

Yea I might get flack for this but I enjoyed MUA 1 more.

Last edited:
I third the opinion that MUA1 is better than MUA2.

I wish they would go back and continue that Galactus storyline they hinted at at the end of MUA1.

I know X-Men Legends is pretty much dead at this point, but it would have been nice for them to follow up on the Mr. Sinister storyline to that as well.

I wish they would go back and continue that Galactus storyline they hinted at at the end of MUA1.

That was resolved in the second one. In dialogue, Thor refers to the Galactus incident that took place shortly before the second game.

Glad I waited for THAT climatic conclusion. :whatever:

In my opinion, they need one. It's the reason why I quit City of Heroes long ago, and never even tried Champions.

I want to be a superhero in a game, but I want to fight alongside superheroes I know not alongside creations of people who can't even come up with a proper name for their hero/villain.

It's the main reason I'm attracted to DC Universe online. I can choose to ignore the lame ''Super Duper Greg's." and fight alongside Batman, Superman, etc.

And me being a Marvel fan? If I could do that alongside a good portion of their superhero cast? I'd be a happy happy geek and probably drop DCUO all together as well.

They had one. One of the biggest issues that Champions had was that it was so terribly generic. City of Heroes at least has a level of uniqueness to it's heroes and villains that come close to that of Marvel and DC.

But of course, that problem would have been avoided had Marvel stuck with the project that became Champions Online, and then they wouldn't have been stuck scrambling to catch up with DCUO.

I think for the hardcore Marvel fans we're not gonna see it as catching up to DCUO, but rather coming out with a better alternative for us. And hell, I think the story of DCUO really sort of limits your creativity in creating a hero/villain in some ways.

That was resolved in the second one. In dialogue, Thor refers to the Galactus incident that took place shortly before the second game.

Glad I waited for THAT climatic conclusion. :whatever:

Wait? Huh? What part of the game was that? I guess I skipped over it since most of the dialogue was dreck.

Let's hope this game is better than MUA 2, the original one was the best .

MUA2 gets far too much flack.

The first one gets far too much praise. I hope we don't go back to the days of Dr. Strange, Invisible Woman, Ice Man, Spider-Man all playing the same.

A more popular roster with no wtf choices does not a better game make.

Did MUA 2 make money?

I think it did pretty well. It was a fun game. I just wish the roster and final boss were better. And the whole DLC was a bit of a let down. But I enjoyed the game and still play to this day on PS3 from time to time. It's the only good game with the FF4.

Hopefully it's MUA 3.

It should start off as you controlling the good guys first, then somewhere in the game you have to choose what faction you want to be on, Heroes, X-Men (since they wanted to be on their own in the comics) and the villains. And by the end of the game, the X-Men join the rest of the team and you get two endings, the real one and a What If? for the villains.

Ofcourse make it a loose adaptation of the comic and update character rosters, like actually having Tony Stark as Iron Man. (F-You Denny O'Neil for having Tony miss out on the greatest crossover Marvel has ever made. :cmad:)

I think I enjoyed MUA1 more than I did 2, but damn the first game looked like complete ass, I can't even enjoy it now.

I'd be all for another UA

I think I enjoyed MUA1 more than I did 2, but damn the first game looked like complete ass, I can't even enjoy it now.

I'd be all for another UA

It'd looked okay. Not bad, but not good.

Aside from the graphics, the second sucks ASS! I beat it and sold it in the same week. I still own the first one. The RPG elements were stronger, the story was more fun, the roster was deeper, the cutscenes were awesome and the DLC was more bang-for-your-buck

Vicarious Visions just sucks too much now. They made Spider-man 3 for PS2 and Wii (which was just terrible) then the second MUA. They shouldn't be anywhere near any game.

It'd looked okay. Not bad, but not good.

Aside from the graphics, the second sucks ASS! I beat it and sold it in the same week. I still own the first one. The RPG elements were stronger, the story was more fun, the roster was deeper, the cutscenes were awesome and the DLC was more bang-for-your-buck.

I agree with all of that. But the game was still ugly. PS2 level visuals dont cut it any more.

The roster was deeper in MUA1? How is a roster where people who have no business using their powers in a similar manner use them in a similar manner. All tanks? Played the same. Spider-Man, Invisible Woman, Doctor Strange, Iceman? All the same.

Thor and Storm? Similar. The only thing people like about that roster is that it's got most of the mainstream Avengers/Heroes of the Marvel Universe in it. I'd rather have a roster that is varied and unique and every character plays different and FEELS like themselves than having Ghost Rider in for the sake of having him and play like a combo of Spider-Man and Luke Cage.

Story? Deeper? It's just as weak as the second one's story? Only reason you claim it feels deeper is it takes place across the entire Marvel MU at some point. THE DLC was a bunch of clones for the most part too. Nightcrawler should not play like Deadpool. Magneto should not play like Invisible Woman. And Sabretooth was just putting Wolverine in the game twice.

The first one was a mess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"