Sell me on the new Captain America

Willowhugger

Civilian
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of getting into the New Captain America comics. The Winter Soldier arc sounds intriguing and I've heard good things about the sequels to it. Could people here give me their opinions on what they liked and didn't like? I'd appreciate in-depth if possible.

photojones2 said:
again...what the hell...?

Seems pretty clear.

Let me try it slower.

Should...I....Buy...Captain America....the comic?

I'd start from the Winter Soldier Arc then move to the Trade that takes to issue 15.

THEN...I...would...buy...the...individual...issues up...to current.

I.e. tell me if they're worth it and why.

yes. I love cap the character, but I've found alot of his solo stuff a little...plain, I guess.

I don't think the Winter soldier is the second coming of Christ or anything like some people seem to feel, but it is unquestionably good.

For ****'s sake, not only did Bru make solo Cap interesting, he actually made me care about Nomad. NOMAD!

Willowhugger said:
Seems pretty clear.

Let me try it slower.

Should...I....Buy...Captain America....the comic?

I'd start from the Winter Soldier Arc then move to the Trade that takes to issue 15.

THEN...I...would...buy...the...individual...issues up...to current.

I.e. tell me if they're worth it and why.

ok, here's the deal:

first of all, you're not making sense. you just love the hell out of captain america, but find him boring as all get out. i'm scratching my head, here.

secondly, just go to the damn barnes n noble and read it yourself. you like it, then buy it.

no barnes n noble? try the fact that everyone raves about the book left and right.

that's not good enough for you? go to the comic shop and read the individual issues.

as to why it's good - well, if you don't already know what The Winter Soldier is about, it's about what might be
Bucky back from the dead
. Now, normally, this would be a BAD story. It's supposed to be one of those things that you just. don't. do. in the Marvel Universe.

But Bru made it work, he really did. It worked, he didn't just do it just for shock value, he made a good story out of it. And thus, no one complained, fanboys didn't *****. It worked, and it worked well.

photojones2 said:
ok, here's the deal:

first of all, you're not making sense. you just love the hell out of captain america, but find him boring as all get out. i'm scratching my head, here.

secondly, just go to the damn barnes n noble and read the yourself. you like it, then buy it.

no barnes n noble? try the fact that everyone raves about the book left and right.

that's not good enough for you? go to the comic shop and read the individual issues.
::shakes head in hands::

photojones? the next time someone asks for recommendations on a book? just, just please stay out of it.... :(

Elijya said:
::shakes head in hands::

photojones? the next time someone asks for recommendations on a book? just, just please stay out of it.... :(

starting a thread and asking if the winter soldier arc is any good is like asking if "the devil in cell block d" is good. or "the long halloween" or something...it's just a cry for attention.

"look at me! talk about obvious things in my thread!"

:down

photojones2 said:
starting a thread and asking if the winter soldier arc is any good is like asking if "the devil in cell block d" is good. or "the long halloween" or something...it's just a cry for attention.

Dude, I'm not exactly in the "loop" comic wise. It's about the ressurection of frickin BUCKY. BUCKY. You know, Boy Sidekick? Guy whom was a blatant rip off of Robin?

I've heard some good things but putting down the money for something like this is a big investment and I'm already pretty financially strapped for cash with Civil War taking up so much.

So yes, its a serious request.

And I love Captain America but so few books make him exciting. He's always best as a supporting character.

Willowhugger said:
Dude, I'm not exactly in the "loop" comic wise. It's about the ressurection of frickin BUCKY. BUCKY. You know, Boy Sidekick? Guy whom was a blatant rip off of Robin?

I've heard some good things but putting down the money for something like this is a big investment and I'm already pretty financially strapped for cash with Civil War taking up so much.

So yes, its a serious request.

And I love Captain America but so few books make him exciting. He's always best as a supporting character.

we all know who bucky is, man.

secondly, what did you expect people to say about brubaker's arc in captain america? something different than was already said a million times before?

photojones2 said:
we all know who bucky is, man.

secondly, what did you expect people to say about brubaker's arc in captain america? something different than was already said a million times before?

I dunno...anything?

given I haven't READ any threads about it yet.

Its popular I take it? The comic shop owner says it is.

Willowhugger said:
Okay....what would they be listed under? Just search for "Bucky" or what?

dude, you've been here for almost 2 years...

I'm not sure about Winter Soldier, since I haven't seen any prints that weren't overtly expensive, but the "first volume," Red Menance, is pretty damn good. :up:

photojones2 said:

Man, I hate to ask what it'll be like in my next new post where I ask if I should pick up the Thunderbolts trades

Buy it damnit or I will post pics of ME all dressed up as a FEMALE Captain America !! :eek:

photojones2 said:

and responding to that thread with comments like that is just trolling

Photojones, he wasn't simply asking if it was good, he was asking for people to PITCH it to him, convince him that it sounds like something he'd be interested in. He asked for more then just lots of people to tell him "yes, it's good" which you could have given him with minimal effort, or simply left the thread with no effort.

I want to buy a new car, I can research it on the net, or I can ask a friend who knows alot about cars, or ask a salesmen. And if one of those people says "just look it up on the net, you don't need to ask me, people have already talked about it", while that's technicly true, you're being sort of a dick

photojones2 said:
yes, and in that time, he's had less than 100 posts. He's a casual poster. It's not a requirement that if you're going to browse and occassionally participate in an online forum, you have to be hardcore and know everything that's going on on the board.

The reason I asked you (jokingly) if you wouldn't mind staying out of threads where people are asking for suggestions is because you're being completely unecessarily hostile. You're the reason people get driven away from comics.

Say a person walks into a comic store who doesn't know too much about comics, and asks for, I dunno, the Death of Superman, and the clerk rolls his eyes and says "yeah, if you want to read a total peice of crap." The persons probably gonna leave the store and never walk in again. And this stuff happens every day, and it's not helping the industry, it's killing it.

This is a dying industry. We need new readers, we need greater interest. And we don't need the choir, people who are already reading comics, acting hostile or elitist whenever someone out of the loop expresses interest.

Willowhugger said:
Man, I hate to ask what it'll be like in my next new post where I ask if I should pick up the Thunderbolts trades
Personally, I thought the first 50 issues of the original series were gold. Just plain old classic superhero fun. Classic villains, even if they were a little corny at times, and plenty of action. Then, it went straight downhill. The relaunch of the new series was a step back in the right direction, but they still lost me again after a year.

The only trades available are for the new series, and there was one trade collecting the first 6 or so issues of the old series. You should see if you can track that down.

Darthphere did a write-up on the series for the Official Recommendations Thread
http://superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9416604#post9416604

captainamerica_01.jpg

Title:Captain America: The Winter Soldier (and more)
Written/Art:Ed Brubaker with Steve Epting (Michael Lark and Mike Perkins)
Publisher:Marvel Comics
Genres: Superheroes, Spy/Espionage

Captain America wears an American flag as a costume and he’ll kick your ass. Ed Brubaker starts what has become a great run on everybody’s favorite Star Spangled hero as in his first arc a blast from the past comes back to haunt Captain America. Mixing classic superhero storytelling with espionage elements, Ed Brubaker crafts an exciting tale of redemption and heart break. Brubaker does a great job making Captain America relevant in this day and age as Cap works closely with the international spy agency known as SHIELD to track down the man behind the death of one of Captain America’s greatest enemies.

Steve Epting’s art can only be described as fantastic as he sets the tone from light to dark befitting the mood of the stories. Michael Lark provides some great flashback scenes to Captain America’s World War 2 days and Mike Perkins is a perfect substitute for Epting as he takes some issues off. Guest star galore as fan favorites Nick Fury, Agent 13 Sharon Carter and Union Jack join Cap in this fantastic title. Definitely a must have and worth the price of admission.

Format: An ongoing title that is being collected in both hardcover and paperback.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Vol. 1 (Hardcover)

Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 1 (Paperback)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Vol. 2 (Hardcover)

CAPA009_COV.jpg

14467255483.12.GIF

4116_2.jpg

4116_4.jpg

4116_5.jpg

write-up originally by Darthphere

Thanks for the directions. I don't mind Photojones2's comments, he's obviously just saying his mind and its alright by me if I'm out of the loop comic wise.

I saw that you were cool with it, thankfully, but it's just, ya know, for the future, I wouldn't want him saying those things to some kid or parent who would now think all comic readers are jerks, or somebody who would get angry and start fighting with him, ya know?

I have to admit, I've always been a side-kick sort of a fan....where the sidekick stands out more then the actual mentor....
But if it's really Bucky....from a scale from one being worse...to ....five being the absolute best....
Is it worth getting?

Okay, a friend of mine brought over his copy of trade 1# and I've started reading the Winter Soldier arc. I'm partially impressed and partially not impressed.

SPOILERS AHEAD BUCKOS!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Cons

* Lurkin is a pretty standard "Rogue Soviet General" which was an old enemy when Timothy Dalton was James Bond.

* They killed the Red Skull! WOW, that I believe will take. :sarcasm:

(Captain America isn't exactly dripping with the world's greatest Rogue's gallery)

* I may have had some of the surprise ruined by the fact I knew coming in that Bucky would be alive and by proxy, am assuming that he's the guy whom took out Skull

(VENGEANCE IS MINE!)

Pros

* Bucky doesn't seem to be a genuine kid but instead is being treated as a soldier (perhaps a younger one) in a war and I like that.

* Captain America kills two terrorists in the opening scene. I like this impression because it establishes once and for all that he's a soldier.

* Cap's girlfriend is remarkably hot to be shallow.

* I like the reminder of the Cosmic Cube plot.

I'll share more after I get past the part where Crossbones swears vengeance.

Believe what you want, but the Red Skull is still dead in the most recent Cap issue. :p

Practically every superhero and every supervillain starts as a seemingly stale, overused stereotype. Wait and see how Brubaker develops Lukin before writing him off as lame right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"