Sequel subtitles: Yay or nay?

Slushy

Superhero
Reaction score
It seems like Marvel is switching to subtitles instead of being numerical for their frachise characters. Do you guys approve? Now I'm thinking what Iron Man 2 should've been called instead.

Something like Iron Man doesn't need it. Because its like Spider-Man or Batman at this point, the name alone sells you.

Cap and Thor, while doing great, are not at the level of Bats, Spidey or Iron Man, so you could probably just do Cap II or Thor 2, but adding a subtitle helps.

I never understood why the X-Men had subtitles, it just felt ... added on for no reason.

I like them. Numbers are boring. Wish IM3 was changed to Iron Man: Extremis, but oh well

It is certainly a step in the right direction. I HATE numerical sequel titles! So unoriginal. I have long espoused the James Bond method of titling. 'From Russia With Love' wasn't titled James Bond 2, thank GOD! I wish sequels didn't even have the hero's name in it. Dan Poole's fan film "The Green Goblin's Last Stand' is a great example. They didn't title Rooster Cogburn True Grit II. I think Rocky II started this whole thing. I'd love for Marvel to just call Cap 2 The Winter Solider.

I hate subtitles.

I like order. When im looking at my blu-rays i rather see Spider-Man 1, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3.

That's just me, i like seeing it numbered.

I like subtitles if they're interesting. For example, Winter Soldier? Awesome. Distinct. Dark World? Not so much. It's a little more vague, not very specific, and a tad generic.

ARe they necessary? I don't know...

It is certainly a step in the right direction. I HATE numerical sequel titles! So unoriginal. I have long espoused the James Bond method of titling. 'From Russia With Love' wasn't titled James Bond 2, thank GOD! I wish sequels didn't even have the hero's name in it. Dan Poole's fan film "The Green Goblin's Last Stand' is a great example. They didn't title Rooster Cogburn True Grit II. I think Rocky II started this whole thing. I'd love for Marvel to just call Cap 2 The Winter Solider.

Godfather II is the first one I can think of...a few years before Rocky, much less Rocky II...

But then only comic book fans would know it was a Captain America movie...
:doh:

Bond movies have never had "Bond" in the title - and no one has had trouble knowing what those were about.

Adding a number just seems lazy to me.

Frankenstein 2, 3, 4, etc. sounds terrible.

But once you have started with the numbers, like Iron Man has, then I say stick with it - I hate when they switch in mid series - Evil Dead - Evil Dead 2 - Army of Darkness - wth?

Something like Iron Man doesn't need it. Because its like Spider-Man or Batman at this point, the name alone sells you.

Cap and Thor, while doing great, are not at the level of Bats, Spidey or Iron Man, so you could probably just do Cap II or Thor 2, but adding a subtitle helps.

I never understood why the X-Men had subtitles, it just felt ... added on for no reason.
I kind of agree with this. Iconic characters will sell with just their names. I think a subtitle would do a disservice to an Avengers sequel, for example. The subtitle definitely makes sense for Cap since they'll probably just be calling it "The Winter Soldier" in Russia, South Korea, and the Ukraine again, but I thought the Thor sequel would be called Thor 2. Maybe they were avoiding the possibility of having a Thor Four. Hehe.

If you can think of a good subtitle, go for it! Works for so many franchises. If not, go with numbers so long as you don't get things like Fantastic Four 2 (which sounds bad when you roll it off the tongue).

Godfather II is the first one I can think of...a few years before Rocky, much less Rocky II...

Yeah, The Godfather Part II (1974) was the first sequel to adopt a numbering sequence in the title. Before that, every sequel had a unique name.

I love and greatly subtitles instead of numbers, numbers are bland and kinda unimaginative. However they can work as well if they sound right. Iron Man 2 and 3 sound right. But I'd still like to have subtitles.

I like the subtitles all around. I think it gives ya more zip for the franchise. I hope IM switches to this if they do more after IM3 and considering the MCU can go on for decades it just makes sense instead of having boring old cap 24 or some BS like that.

Definitely 'yay.' I'm not a fan of numbered titles for sequels; I think they look generic and unimaginative.

As lpng as they don't switch style midway, I don't care. Should the first Thor retroactivly get a subtitle too like A New Hope did?

I prefer subtitles over numbers. Numbers are uninspired. And imagine a series like James Bond without subtitles: James Bond 23, lol. Sure, there are dumb titles but mostly they are ok, imo.

I prefer numbers than subtitles but what I do like about the Subtitles is it adds more drama and intrigue especially when you hear the movie's name.

Iron Man 12 would be too ostentatious.. and not very creative. Come up with some new titles, either incorporating the character name or nickname.

spider-man's last stand; the spectacular spider-man; the sensational spider-man; web of spider-man;
iron man: the golden avenger;
Thor: prince of thunder; prince of asgard;

Iron Man 12 would be too ostentatious.. and not very creative.

Iron Man 12? Do you think Marvel Studios will get into that point? 12 Iron Man films and no reboot? I don't think so.

And even if they get to that point, I think they would drop the number and give it a subtitle.

Eh...I'd prefer a combination of both. As in Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier, etc.

It seems like Marvel is switching to subtitles instead of being numerical for their frachise characters. Do you guys approve? Now I'm thinking what Iron Man 2 should've been called instead.

Iron Man: Legacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"