After Avengers trailer...a Nick Fury solo movie could be HUGE!

semper

Civilian
Reaction score
I was never really sold on Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury, mainly because he just seemed to exist as a minor walk-on character (and as a nod to the Ultimate universe).

But seeing the Avengers teaser, with Fury right in the thick of the action, and more or less acting as the defacto leader of the Avengers has got me thinking that Jackson may be the perfect choice to set up Marvel's next big frachise, post-Avengers. Jackson himself is a popular and well loved actor who has carried films in the past, and Fury has become an intergal part of the shared Marvel movie universe.

I know a Nick Fury movie was always supposed to be on the cards when Jackson signed on for the whole Marvel project, but there hasn't really been much word on it in awhile. So it always seemed more like lip service. I believe the Avengers may lead directly into a Nick Fury...Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D movie.

So much potential with such a film. You can obviously fill it with cameos/guest stars who have SHIELD membership or affilation (basically any of the Avengers) and Fury has a plethora of villains to choose from (half of whom he seems to share with Captain America, like Baron Strucker and Hydra).

It's been an incredible strategy by Marvel. People have been saying that Marvel has basically run out of top tier characters to carry their own films, now that Thor, Cap and Iron Man are out of the way (Scarlett Johansson's performance as Black Widow will have to improve tremendously from Iron Man 2 to make her viable as a solo film). Yet Fury is basically being built up to be as important as them, which seems to be the case with the Avengers. I can see a Nick Fury S.H.I.E.L.D movie being on the cards for 2013....and it could be big, especially since it'll be seen as an unofficial sequel to Avengers..

Take it with the biggest grain of salt you can find, but IMDB lists Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD with a 2014 release date. But I honestly think that's just fanboy wish-ism, as I've not been able to corroborate this anywhere else online.

In any event, I'm sure SLJ would love to take on a Fury movie, and it would probably be a decent box office draw; but I think Samjack is still just too tied up in his schedule right now after Avengers, with Django Unchained and Afro-Samurai and The Samaritan coming up soon....not to mention likely having to reprise cameos as Fury in IM3 and Avengers 2 and god knows how many other Marvel movies.

Come to think of it, those 9 Marvel films Jackson is slated for may very well turn out to be just the walk-on cameos we've seen in Cap and Hulk....

Take it with the biggest grain of salt you can find, but IMDB lists Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD with a 2014 release date. But I honestly think that's just fanboy wish-ism, as I've not been able to corroborate this anywhere else online.

In any event, I'm sure SLJ would love to take on a Fury movie, and it would probably be a decent box office draw; but I think Samjack is still just too tied up in his schedule right now after Avengers, with Django Unchained and Afro-Samurai and The Samaritan coming up soon....not to mention likely having to reprise cameos as Fury in IM3 and Avengers 2 and god knows how many other Marvel movies.

Come to think of it, those 9 Marvel films Jackson is slated for may very well turn out to be just the walk-on cameos we've seen in Cap and Hulk....

Yeah...most of these walk on cameos probably take less than a day for Jackson to film.

By Jackson's usual standards, he's actually not that that busy looking at his upcoming schedule. Which suggests that maybe he wants to keep himself free for a Nick Fury start date/shoot. The Samaritan has already been filmed. Django Unchained is just a supporting role. Afro-Samurai keeps being talked about and constantly delayed for years, so who knows if that'll ever really happen.

Jackson's a workaholic, and has been able to squeeze in something like 6 movie shoots a year some years. The fact that he's only 3 unfilmed projects listed on his IMDB (Nick Fury being one) is maybe a good indicator that he doesn't want to commit himself to as many projects as he usually does, till Nick Fury is a go. I do think one of the big carrots for Jackson to sign on to appear in pretty much all the films as an anchoring presence, was a guaranteed Nick Fury film at the end of it. His prominence in the Avengers film seems like a good set-up for his own flick.

I think it'll happen. After all his walk-on bits, I didn't really expect Fury to be such a central figure in the actual Avengers movie, but he looks like he'll be pretty much the founder and will have a big part in the action. A Nick Fury movie is an almost natural progression from the Avengers.

It should happen. Jackson has seemed a bit too laidback and casual in his walk-on bits to make a huge impression, but he looks so much more impresive in the teaser trailer. Maybe it helps that he's actually being given something to do now.

I want to see a solo film for Nick Fury, Black Widow and Hawkeye!

Avengers series is Nick Fury movie. Better save the movie slots for more superpowered characters.

They could, but I wouldn't go with Samuel L. Jackson, I would cast someone younger and go for the Jim Sternako era-Fury style stories. I think the version seen thus far is only good as a side character. Perhaps a younger actor with a more period piece style story (set in the 60s or 70s) would work better.

I think Nick Fury works better in a SHIELD movie or an Avengers movie than a solo movie.

They could, but I wouldn't go with Samuel L. Jackson, I would cast someone younger and go for the Jim Sternako era-Fury style stories. I think the version seen thus far is only good as a side character. Perhaps a younger actor with a more period piece style story (set in the 60s or 70s) would work better.

Samuel L. Jackson is a star that can carry a film. It'd be a wasted opportunity to give the character this much build-up, plus a major role in the Avegers, and not give him a spin-off.

I think Sam Jackson's Fury has been underrated by fanboys, mainly because he's just been that...a side character. Juding by the teaser, he's a main character in The Avengers, and giving a pretty serious performance. He looks like an action hero, as well as a leader of men. Perfect for his own film. He's now one of the reasons to look forward to the film, and I thought he was the most impressive character in the teaser.

Marvel is a cohesive Universe, and they are kicking DC's ass for a reason. They aren't chopping and changing, and having constant "reboots" for the sake of it. I don't see Marvel ever recasting Fury to the 616 model. Nick Fury is the glue that holds together the Marvel movie universe, imho.And he'll always be played by Jackson, or an actor in Jackson's mould.

So this isn't just a vague promise from Marvel to Jackson. Sounds pretty concrete, and it sounds like Jackson has seen a first draft of the script. So Don CHeadle's War Machine will play a big role.

Marvel are so on point right now. They know that a Nick Fury/SHIELD movie will do big buisness if Avengers leads right into it. DC/Warner Brothers need to take notes, and stop relying so much on Nolan and Batman.

I have mixed feelings about a SHIELD movie, but since they'll have Black Widow, Hawkeye and War Machine it'll still feel pretty "super", add Nick Fury in a jetpack fighting uber-science nerds in beekeeper outfits and I'm sold.

Marvel is a cohesive Universe, and they are kicking DC's ass for a reason. They aren't chopping and changing, and having constant "reboots" for the sake of it. I don't see Marvel ever recasting Fury to the 616 model. Nick Fury is the glue that holds together the Marvel movie universe, imho.And he'll always be played by Jackson, or an actor in Jackson's mould.
I never said this:huh:, I said someone "younger". How do you get "whiter" from "younger"?

Jackson will look the way he does for the next 15 years or more, black dudes age well.

Jackson will look the way he does for the next 15 years or more, black dudes age well.
I don't like him as an actor quite frankly. I feel like amongst the cast of Avengers he's fine because Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans are damn fine actors who are very fun to watch onscreen. SLJ just gets on my nerves, and if I'm going to watch enough of Fury to warrant a live-action SHIELD or Fury movie I want him to be something other than a Samuel L. Jackson caricature. That's why I'd do some sort of prequel. You could have Dominic Cooper, Neal McDoughan and Scarlett Jo in for continuity, maybe get into the nature of the infinite formula, show how Fury lost his eye maybe (since it won't have to be 616 accurate), and maybe get into how a black guy became such a high ranking official. Set it in the 1960s/1970s, and have it be something like X-Men: First Class. The Ultimate Universe has left enough ambiguity in the Fury story that there is room to expand upon it without SLJ playing the character. We know he was a younger man at some point, and the movies thus far has given some insights into Fury's past enough to make it sound interesting. That's where I'd go, and just have SLJ play present day Fury.

SLJ is 62 btw, so I feel like that's pushing it, at least as far as sequel potential is concerned.

Is he 62? See, certainly confirms my notion that black guys age well because I'd of thought he could be anywhere between 40-50 just looking at him.
That being said he ain't immortal so I revoke my comment that he'll be looking that sharp for the next 10-15 years.
I also agree that he isn't much of a good actor, his delivery is often flat when he can't resort to yelling expletives.

Thing is, I highly doubt they'll make a Nick Fury movie, it'll be a SHIELD movie, as already confirmed, and between him, War Machine, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Agent Coulson, Maria Hill, the antagonist, possible cameos, and the inclusion of the SHIELD "corps" I don't think we've much to worry about in terms of Fury soliloquies or him doing more than sharing screentime with a bunch of other awesome characters.
Of course he'll be speaking more than 5 lines and will be a central focus but I doubt it will be that bad considering all the awesome action and hopefully great story tying it all together.

I'm hoping this turns out to be a SHIELD movie in general, with Fury as the obvious focus, but still an ensemble cast. So far, we know that Coulson, Maria Hill, Jasper Sitwell, Hawkeye and Black Widow are SHIELD agents in the MFU, and after SDCC, there's strong evidence that we'll soon see Sharon Carter (Agent 13, possibly played by Amanda Righetti), Carol Danvers, and Bobbi Morse (Agent 19, aka Mockingbird) added to the roster.

Probably more to come, but if you made a Mission: Impossible style superspy flick featuring that sort of lineup, pitting them against HYDRA and/or the Serpent Society, you'd have a helluva flick and have an excuse to introduce a ton more Marvel superheroes into the film world.

and after SDCC, there's strong evidence that we'll soon see Sharon Carter (Agent 13, possibly played by Amanda Righetti), Carol Danvers, and Bobbi Morse (Agent 19, aka Mockingbird) added to the roster.

That's far too many sexy blonde female secret agents for one movie. The way they are drawn in the comics, Danvers, Carter and Morse are virtually indistinguishable from eaxh other without their costumes.

If they are adding more females to the mix, the brunette Jessica Drew seems a likely choice. Her current origin ties into SHIELD/HYDRA.

In fact, if Marvel were smart, they'd make the main focus of a first SHIELD film be the origin of Spider-Woman. Starts out as a Hydra agent, and gets "turned" by Nick Fury on SHIELD onto the side of the angels. Then spin-off Spider-Woman into her own solo film.

Not many female characters have the potential to carry a solo franchise for Marvel, but Spider-Woman, with her power set and obvious name recognition (ie a female Spidey) is one of the stronger contenders. And Marvel has had Bendis making her an important part of the Avengers universe in recent years. Only complication is who owns the rights to Spider-Woman...Sony supposedly has rights to all Spider-Man related characters, but Spider-Woman is only related to Spider-Man by name. She's never really been part of his universe.

If Marvel has the rights to Spider-Woman, I think she's very much the next B or C-lister with the potential to become A-list on film (like Iron Man). Might make Sony very uncomfortable if Marvel can basically do a female version of Spider Man.

Sounds awesome. Make it happen!

SLJ isn't trying to carry this movie, I don't think. He's just there to show up and look/be cool. I think he likes that about Fury. Here's this normal guy, but he's so hardcore, he walks up to these ubermen and they take orders from him.

Obviously Coulson, Hill and Righetti's character will figure in prominently following Avengers. Perhaps Black Widow and Hawkeye if they don't have their own films. Adding in Carol Danvers or Jessica Drew as the 'beginner's eyes' into the conflict could be awesome, especially if their powers are a big part of the storyline. It just depends, do they want to do AIM or the Kree. Using the Kree would keep it superheroic and keep it from being just a spy movie with comic book physics. It would be cool if it had a lot of thriller pacing to it. Who's the traitor? Who can Nick Fury trust? Can he trust himself? That could make for a really, really good movie.

I would still like to see a Young Fury movie, I think he's by far their most interesting SHIELD member. I think if McAvoy and Fassbender can replace the irreplacible Stewart and McKellen, that someone else can flesh out SLJ past. You can still have some of the current members onboard too considering the 'infinite formula' is a big part of the SHIELD mythos. It's already halfway set up too with the failed attempts at super soldier serums we know exist in The Incredible Hulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"