Shaft Reboot

all I can say is it better have the 'theme song'

and I just re watched Jackson's shaft the other day still holds up very well shame they never did a sequel.

Here's an idea....why don't they write a movie about a black cop & call it whatever they want? Yet another cash grab based off the success of an iconic movie. And like all the other garbage reboots, it will dissaper & we will continue to watch the original instead. We are in the middle of the laziest Hollywood era ever. Most of these reboots are nothing more than a tax (disguised as poorly made entertainment) that Hollywood imposes on us to fund their over-the-top lifestyles.

Someone complaining about Hollywood remaking stuff.... HOW ORIGINAL!!!

:cool:

Loved Samuel L Jackson as Shaft and I really hoped that they would do a sequel to Shaft but they never did and I feel that that was a missed opportunity but at the same time if they do reboot Shaft then Idris Elba or Will Smith would be my picks for The New Shaft

I hope this project-- if it actually happens-- starts with all the right creative elements.

There are comics currently out that are doing a "Year One/Year Zero" take on his life after the army but before the events of the first movie.

I was disappointed in the Singleton/Jackson film. I like Singleton as a director and I dig Jackson as an actor, but this project wasn't enjoyable for me. The script wasn't there. Maybe the paper script had more depth, but on-screen, there wasn't a compelling main villain in Christian Bale's bigoted trust-funder. Jeffrey Wright's Dominican drug dealer stole the show.

I remember reading a brief feature interview about the film. There was a segment with the screenwriter, and he said that he couldn't rationalize having a black man in Rudy Giuliani's New York City going around shooting people and being involved in general mayhem and for him not to be a policeman. And thus, the story angle was created that this John Shaft was a police detective, who only quits the force maybe halfway through the film to be a vigilante, and it's only at the very end when he decides to go into business as a private detective.

The film has a throwaway non-dialogue credits scene where he, what, throws a candy bar at a woman he just slept with.. and that pretty much goes for the "ladies man" quality that the first Shaft displayed. This was another reason I thought Jackson's casting didn't work, because it kind of assumes up-front that this character is not going to be portrayed as any kind of sex symbol, compared to a Wesley Snipes or Will Smith (or whoever else might have been in the running circa 1999-2000.)

About the only other part I enjoyed was Richard Roundtree as the "real" Shaft showing up in key moments.

If there's a "new" Shaft movie at all-- he should really be an "independent" from shot one. In the first film, he was caught in between the criminal underworld of NY (Bumpy's Harlem operation and the white Mafia), the police, and the activist militants of the neighborhood. Shaft would navigate dealing with all of those elements, but refused to be co-opted by any of them.

Last edited:
I hope this project-- if it actually happens-- starts with all the right creative elements.

There are comics currently out that are doing a "Year One/Year Zero" take on his life after the army but before the events of the first movie.

I was disappointed in the Singleton/Jackson film. I like Singleton as a director and I dig Jackson as an actor, but this project wasn't enjoyable for me. The script wasn't there. Maybe the paper script had more depth, but on-screen, there wasn't a compelling main villain in Christian Bale's bigoted trust-funder. Jeffrey Wright's Dominican drug dealer stole the show.

I remember reading a brief feature interview about the film. There was a segment with the screenwriter, and he said that he couldn't rationalize having a black man in Rudy Giuliani's New York City going around shooting people and being involved in general mayhem and for him not to be a policeman. And thus, the story angle was created that this John Shaft was a police detective, who only quits the force maybe halfway through the film to be a vigilante, and it's only at the very end when he decides to go into business as a private detective.

The film has a throwaway non-dialogue credits scene where he, what, throws a candy bar at a woman he just slept with.. and that pretty much goes for the "ladies man" quality that the first Shaft displayed. This was another reason I thought Jackson's casting didn't work, because it kind of assumes up-front that this character is not going to be portrayed as any kind of sex symbol, compared to a Wesley Snipes or Will Smith (or whoever else might have been in the running circa 1999-2000.)

About the only other part I enjoyed was Richard Roundtree as the "real" Shaft showing up in key moments.

Shut it, boy.

Shaft' Getting Remake http://thr.cm/YXiFzz

Black-ish creator Kenya Barris and Alex Barnow, an executive producer-writer on ABC’s The Goldbergs, have been tapped to write the script.

John Davis, who is producing the upcoming Man from U.N.C.L.E. reboot and the new take on Frankenstein with Victor Frankenstein, is producing with Ira Napoliello.

I wish they would consult David F. Walker. I really enjoyed his Shaft comic. I wasn't a big fan of the original film, I know it's a classic though. I did enjoy the Samuel L. Jackson film.

I wonder if they will make it a period piece or try to update it? I think it works better as a period piece. Like to hear a great 70s soundtrack, with music from that period but also get the guys who did the music for Black Dynamite to provide new 'old' songs.

The SLJ one wasn't bad.

There's only one choice for Shaft if this goes through. Idris Elba. Forget James Bond make him Shaft

I liked Sam L Jackson's Shaft remake as well.

How about Will Smith as the new Shaft? He can star in it AND sing the theme song.

A comedy? Disappointing.

I wish they would consult David F. Walker. I really enjoyed his Shaft comic. I wasn't a big fan of the original film, I know it's a classic though. I did enjoy the Samuel L. Jackson film.

I wonder if they will make it a period piece or try to update it? I think it works better as a period piece. Like to hear a great 70s soundtrack, with music from that period but also get the guys who did the music for Black Dynamite to provide new 'old' songs.

Walker is not happy with what this film sounds like it'll end up being.

^
I don't either. I had recently read that they were looking at making it a comedy. Not cool. They are going to take a cinematic symbol of racial pride and consciousness and turn him into a joke? If they wanted to make a parody of blaxploitation just do another Black Dynamite.

Walker's open letter...

An Open Letter Regarding SHAFT
Posted on July 29, 2015 by David Walker

Numerous people have reached out to me about my thoughts on the new Shaft movie, which New Line Cinema recently announced would be more comedic in tone. Here are my thoughts…

Dear New Line Cinema (and producer John Davis),

Let me start by saying that I never expected anyone to get in touch with me about the new Shaft movie. Likewise, I don’t have any interest in getting involved with anyone who doesn’t understand or respect Ernest Tidyman’s character, so even if anyone involved in the new movie got in touch with me, it probably wouldn’t go well. As it is, with the recent announcement that the creator of Black-ish has been hired, and that a comedic approach is going to be taken, it is clear to me that New Line is more interested in ****ting the bed, than making a good Shaft movie.

When I first reached out the Chris Clark-Tidyman, the widow of Shaft creator Ernest Tidyman, it was because I wanted to see a character that I grew up with, translated into the world of comics. It was important to me to do justice to Tidyman’s creation, and to the character itself. At the risk of bragging, I did just that. I dropped the ****in’ mic with the award-winning Shaft comic book, and with all humility, I did a pretty solid job on the novel Shaft’s Revenge—the first Shaft novel since Tidyman’s The Last Shaft, published back in 1975. All of this is my way of saying that I care about the character, I understand the character, and as anyone who has read my contribution to the legacy of character can tell you, I got that **** right. So, please, listen to me when I say, “Don’t make this a comedy. It will suck. It won’t make money. And in doing so, it will ruin the chances of there ever being a decent Shaft movie in the remainder of my lifetime.”

There are several valid reasons to back up the fact that taking the comedic approach is wrong. Let’s start with the reason that means the most in Hollywood—money. While comedies do well, the sort of comedy you’re likely to make does not have a good track record. Low Down Dirty Shame (1994) made $24 million, Undercover Brother (2002) made $39 million, and Bait (2000) made $15 million. There are, of course, exceptions, like the Bad Boys movies, which made just under $400 million collectively, but c’mon…can you really conjure the magic of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, and hope for that kind of hit? I don’t think so.

At best, you’ll likely put out a film like Black Dynamite, a movie that has already done what you’re setting out to do. Black Dynamite, despite its cult status, and the animated show that I love—which again, has already done what you want to do—earned less than a million dollars at the box office. Let that sink in—less than a million dollars. By comparison, The Equalizer earned over $190 million globally, and it was a serious action film, with a black man in the lead role (which is what Shaft needs to be).

As of this writing, in the month of July 2015, more than 100 people in the United States have been killed by the police. That’s not the number for the year-to-date, but just one single month. And that doesn’t include people like Sandra Bland, who died while in custody. Police brutality has reached epidemic proportions, and white supremacists seem intent on pushing this nation toward a violent and deadly racial conflict. Last month, an armed white man walked into a church, and massacred nine black people. Not since the 1960s has there been more of a need for a black action hero—one that can provide a cathartic escape from life’s day-to-day horrors, and deliver the sort of wish fulfillment that cinema is intended to do. Not since Ernest Tidyman created John Shaft back in 1970 has there been more of a need for someone just like him. And yet your solution is to take the most iconic hero in the history of black popular culture—something that is missing from the cinematic landscape right now—and turn him into some kind of comedic figure. Congratulations for your forward thinking, New Line and Mr. Davis. Because God knows that what black people—as well as the rest of America—needs right now is ANOTHER black man cracking jokes to distract us from all that ails us. We can leave the superheroics to the white guys, but the black hero can only be heroic if he is wrapped in a comedic package. I believe I speak for many people when I say, “No thanks, and **** you.”

It is clear to me that you have no real concept of the John Shaft character, or why he and all the other black action heroes that emerged in the 1970s were so important to so many people—myself included. This new movie, if it goes the way it is headed, will be terrible, and I will do everything in my power to see it fail, because you deserve no less than that for taking something beloved by so many, and making it something it was never meant to be.

I could go on, but I’ve said enough. Other than the very sound advice to not make a comedy, you’ll get no more free advice from me. If you decide you want to make a serious attempt at producing a good Shaft movie—one that makes money and launches a viable franchise—you know how to find me (I work for one of you sibling companies, DC Comics, and the good folks at Dynamite Entertainment, which published Shaft, also have my contact information). Until then, I will continue to write Shaft comic books and novels that are true to the character, and you can keep taking a **** and trying to tell us all that it is chocolate pudding.

Sincerely,
David F. Walker

Then bring back Samuel L Jackson as Shaft's uncle and the new Shaft being played by Jamie Foxx or Idris Elba or Will Smith

Idris Elba. Oh, God. Get Idris Elba.

Idris Elba as the new Shaft...I would go for that but here is hoping that the new Shaft film if it ever happens it is as good as the 2000 film with Bale and Samuel L Jackson now that was a great film especially with Jeffrey Wright as Peoples Hernandez

I remember thinking Jeffrey Wright was really a Hispanic dude. Then I rewatched the film in 2008 and said "wow, the villain is Batman."

Peoples Hernandez he was the best thing besides Jackson in the 2000 film and Bale was such a great villain which is why in the new Shaft reboot they need good villains

Has Michael Cera been approached yet?

Got to admit.......I kind of enjoyed the SLJ Shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"