Shang-Chi SPOILERS Thread

I swear, she's going after Nick Fury's gig. And I'm just so meh about it.
In combination with the Spider-Man trailer I got the feeling that Wong took over the Nick Fury MCU role. First with his work with Abomination and then bring in Avengers to see about the rings.

In combination with the Spider-Man trailer I got the feeling that Wong took over the Nick Fury MCU role. First with his work with Abomination and then bring in Avengers to see about the rings.
Wong isn't recruiting his superhero band. Wong is just appearing in a lot of things lately.

Wong isn't recruiting his superhero band. Wong is just appearing in a lot of things lately.
I see Fury's role as more than just recruiting heroes but an active combatant in addition to be a link to all of the far flung Avengers and the overriding Infinity mission, besides Scott Lang I guess.

The CGI really, really sucks. It's that simple. Like Black Panther, some scenes just looked totally awful. We accept it as a Marvel thing though because we're all so hooked on the narrative.
The quality of the CGI is debatable. But a big CGI finale is what I spend my money on. And it's made for the big screen.

It felt like The Transformers to me. While dragons were the critical battle for most of the act Shang-Chi and all the humans in the battle were like the Special Forces soldiers secondary supporting forces on the outskirts supporting the main fight
Yea the quality of the CGI was questionable. And I'll admit, it got confusing at times. But I want the CGI to be improved, I don't want it removed.

Wong is more like the Agent Coulsen of the current MCU. He's a member of a secret organization (but not its leader) who is involved in stuff behind the scenes and sorta shows up as a side character in random places. He's not really pulling strings the way Nick Fury always does.

Also I don't think Nick Fury is done being the Nick Fury of the MCU quite yet.

Wong is more like the Agent Coulsen of the current MCU. He's a member of a secret organization (but not its leader) who is involved in stuff behind the scenes and sorta shows up as a side character in random places. He's not really pulling strings the way Nick Fury always does.

Also I don't think Nick Fury is done being the Nick Fury of the MCU quite yet.
isn't Nick supposed to be a big part of the Secret Invasion miniseries?

I loved this movie a lot. Honestly, my only real ambivalence is I'd have loved to see more Wenwu as a villain. His sudden death resolved a lot of the plot drama without Shang-Chi having to make a difficult decision they couldn't walk back, but it led to a big dragon fight that wasn't as cool, imo. Still, the movie was masterfully done and I loved all of it. I don't put it above Black Panther, The Winter Soldier, or Endgame, but it's towards the top.

Just saw it and really enjoyed but I must say it wasn't what I was expecting. Still processing my full thoughts and feelings but my gut reaction was that it was almost too lore heavy?

It really felt like they wanted to recreate Black Panther with Shang-Chi, with that feeling of like "Here's another realm full of important cultural imagery and magic and power" and at a certain point in the film, I felt like that became more important than Shang-Chi's own character?

Not that I didn't enjoy any of that stuff, more than I felt like I got lost in that adventure when I was still ultimately wanting to spend a bit more time with Shang Chi in a grounded world before things went all mystical.

That said, when the emotional bits hit, they hit hard and that's ultimately what steered me back towards him as a character. Definitely want to watch it again!

Also I think this is maybe one film where I would have gladly seen Marvel avoid the funny side kick trope. I think without Awkwafina's character, there could've been more time with the two siblings getting to know each other. I would've loved to see them have some better scenes together, and let the repairing of that relationship feel a tad stronger.

But overall, a fun and ambitious movie and had a great time. Very very curious to see what role the presence of the Ten Rings will play in the stories to come. (Both the organisation and the relics/weapons)

Finally got the chance to see it yesterday (theater was a little more crowded than we were expecting for a Thursday at noon/how long it's been out/what with Bond having just released and all - but me and my sister (both vaccinated) kept our masks on the entire time (I'd say half or less of the other movie goers had masks on) so here's hoping we don't regret the decision to try going to a movie - still don't know what we'll do about Eternals, I don't know if I can wait a month and a half+ to see that one but COVID in our area is still just....not good).

I really enjoyed it, loved all the casting, loved the characters. I liked that Shang-Chi and Katy were just friends (there doesn't need to be a romantic interest in all these movies) and had kind of a brother/sister vibe going on. I enjoyed Trevor showing up and his just....out-there-ness

Loved the fantastical elements especially in Ta-Lo - loved the creatures we saw and kind wish we had gotten more of them (sorry, I'm a sucker for mythical creatures). The dragon was awesome.

The kind of theme that ran through the movie of grief/loss of Ying-Li and how each member of the family has been dealing with it (whether positively or negatively) and how that loss has affected that family struck a chord. Just over a year since my mom passed. Heck, I started tearing up just at the marvel logo opening since normally my mom would've been right there with me and my sister enjoying the movie :(

Excellent addition to the MCU, can't wait to see more of this character :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"