Shang-Chi SPOILERS Thread

I know this isn’t the review thread but just some overall thoughts with spoilers:

Had a pretty good time with this movie, overall. Definitely looking forward to a sequel/ seeing the characters again in the MCU (Shang, Katy, and Xialing). Including Wong as a supporting character moving forward could be fun as well.

The Abomination/Wong fight seemed fixed as others are suggesting? I didn’t understand why that’d be the case; maybe the MCU is reconfiguring Blonsky as reformed/anti-hero ahead of the debut of whatever team Val is putting together? Not sure how I feel about that, to be honest. I like having straight-up villains in these movies, like Crossbones. Even Razor-Fist ends up helping the heroes in this movie.

And was Trevor Slattery necessary at all? I mean, he’s a terrorist—the characters even say as such. And yes I get he wasn’t clean at the time and he implies that Killian was manipulating him in Iron Man Three, but come on. What kind of mileage are we actually getting out of this character? There was much more interesting things the film could have been focusing on in Act II.

The writers needed to figure out a better way for the heroes to find a path to Ta Lo; at this point in the story, the mystical creature was very jarring; though, I suppose we already saw Abomination. It felt off. As the characters journeyed to Ta Lo, I thought the movie went down a weird path for a while, with Slattery acting as some weird sage character almost? Interpreting mystic creatures and directing our heroes? Weird choice for the character, if you ask me.

The creature from Ta Lo could have easily ‘spoken’ directly to Shang-Chi and Xialing, recognizing them as the children of Ying Li, and then Shang could sit shotgun and give Katy directions through the forest.

Wenwu was a great villain but I wanted more of him, the Ten Rings (the bands and the criminal organization), and his spiral into madness. Maybe it would have helped if we saw his visions too? It would have been interesting if we (the audience) and Shang Chi were genuinely torn between believing his father and her mother’s people. Could his mother actually be alive? Just a thought; the plot seemed very cut-and-dry and I think there were opportunities to add nuance in some places.

Awkwafina as Katy really surprised me; she was a fun inclusion and didn’t impede any action or plot development. Was excited to see her invited along Shang by Wong and included in the post-credits scene. I wonder where her story continues; seems like she’ll be an archer? Though I could Marvel avoid treading on Hawkeye’s turf and see Katy acting more as Shang’s Robin—a “monkey wrench” (as Frank Miller put in in TDKR) to aid situations while he does the heavy fighting.

Kudos to the movie when Shang admitted that actually did kill that man as his father sent him to do. It gave the character pathos and helped differentiate him from the squeaky clean heroes of the MCU. I was expecting the lost souls to return to bodies after the final battle, so I was happy that this movie wasn’t shy about highlighting the death toll the Ten Rings’ crusade wrought.

The last scene with Xialing seemed to be filmed after the crew saw the end of Mandalorian S2 and the tease for Boba Fett—with her in the chair and assuming control of a criminal empire. It was cool nonetheless.
Well said. I agree with a lot of it. I was surprised by Awkwafina too - the other movies I've seen her in I haven't been a fan but she was surprisingly pretty good here. Hopefully things with her and Shang-Chi stay platonic though

The creature from Ta Lo could have easily ‘spoken’ directly to Shang-Chi and Xialing, recognizing them as the children of Ying Li, and then Shang could sit shotgun and give Katy directions through the forest.

They could have easily had a mystical creature speak to them directly, of course, but that wouldn't have been as fun.

The reason they brought back Slattery and used him in this way is because the weirdness of seeing familiar characters thrown into radically different situations and given new roles is fun, and it's a sort of fun that only the MCU really ever provides on a regular basis. I mean, Slattery had a good reason for being where he was, it's not like he came out of nowhere, nor is there's any reason why he couldn't or wouldn't have befriended a mystical creature brought to our dimension by Shang Chi's mom, so why not have some fun with it?

Granted, fun is subjective, but at least you have your answer for why the writers did it that way.

Last edited:
I loved the lion like creatures in the village, did they have a name??

I know this isn’t the review thread but just some overall thoughts with spoilers:

Had a pretty good time with this movie, overall. Definitely looking forward to a sequel/ seeing the characters again in the MCU (Shang, Katy, and Xialing). Including Wong as a supporting character moving forward could be fun as well.

The Abomination/Wong fight seemed fixed as others are suggesting? I didn’t understand why that’d be the case; maybe the MCU is reconfiguring Blonsky as reformed/anti-hero ahead of the debut of whatever team Val is putting together? Not sure how I feel about that, to be honest. I like having straight-up villains in these movies, like Crossbones. Even Razor-Fist ends up helping the heroes in this movie.

And was Trevor Slattery necessary at all? I mean, he’s a terrorist—the characters even say as such. And yes I get he wasn’t clean at the time and he implies that Killian was manipulating him in Iron Man Three, but come on. What kind of mileage are we actually getting out of this character? There was much more interesting things the film could have been focusing on in Act II.

The writers needed to figure out a better way for the heroes to find a path to Ta Lo; at this point in the story, the mystical creature was very jarring; though, I suppose we already saw Abomination. It felt off. As the characters journeyed to Ta Lo, I thought the movie went down a weird path for a while, with Slattery acting as some weird sage character almost? Interpreting mystic creatures and directing our heroes? Weird choice for the character, if you ask me.

Wenwu was a great villain but I wanted more of him, the Ten Rings (the bands and the criminal organization), and his spiral into madness. Maybe it would have helped if we saw his visions too? It would have been interesting if we (the audience) and Shang Chi were genuinely torn between believing his father and her mother’s people. Could his mother actually be alive? Just a thought; the plot seemed very cut-and-dry and I think there were opportunities to add nuance in some places.

Awkwafina as Katy really surprised me; she was a fun inclusion and didn’t impede any action or plot development. Was excited to see her invited along Shang by Wong and included in the post-credits scene. I wonder where her story continues; seems like she’ll be an archer? Though I could Marvel avoid treading on Hawkeye’s turf and see Katy acting more as Shang’s Robin—a “monkey wrench” (as Frank Miller put in in TDKR) to aid situations while he does the heavy fighting.

Kudos to the movie when Shang admitted that actually did kill that man as his father sent him to do. It gave the character pathos and helped differentiate him from the squeaky clean heroes of the MCU. I was expecting the lost souls to return to bodies after the final battle, so I was happy that this movie wasn’t shy about highlighting the death toll the Ten Rings’ crusade wrought.

The last scene with Xialing seemed to be filmed after the crew saw the end of Mandalorian S2 and the tease for Boba Fett—with her in the chair and assuming control of a criminal empire. It was cool nonetheless.

Btw, did I miss something or did we not see who this man was that Shang’s father wanted him to kill?

Question: after the Wong vs Abomination fight, was Wong taking him back to the raft? Like, did he break him out just for the tournament? I guess my question assumes Blonsky was on the raft in the first place but that's where most people have assumed he ended up.

Some things don't need explaining but where a literal giant abomination has been ever since the events of THE INCREDIBLE HULK kinda warrants some explaining if you're going to bring the character back.

Question: after the Wong vs Abomination fight, was Wong taking him back to the raft? Like, did he break him out just for the tournament? I guess my question assumes Blonsky was on the raft in the first place but that's where most people have assumed he ended up.

Some things don't need explaining but where a literal giant abomination has been ever since the events of THE INCREDIBLE HULK kinda warrants some explaining if you're going to bring the character back.

Hopefully we'll find out in She Hulk

I'm assuming that there will be more elaboration towards Blonsky's status quo in the She-Hulk series. But there was 5 years of chaos between IW and Endgame. There's a million rationales for him to have gotten out of lock-up and become buddies with Wong.

I really wish we could have gotten more cameos of random characters in that fight club, but seeing some of the comments on here has me thinking it only would have gotten more people upset that there wasn't an elaborate explanation for why every named character was there.

I lot of the very sound queries you pose here I consider major structural flaws in the script and just plain bad screenplay writing. I'm glad this movie's a hit, and it's a major step forward in Asian-American representation, but seriously, the script that we ended up seeing onscreen really needed to be properly workshopped before going out like that.

Btw, did I miss something or did we not see who this man was that Shang’s father wanted him to kill?
He was the man responsible for the death of Shang Chi's mother in the flashback sequence.

Yeah for me one of the only scenes missing was the scene where Shang-Chi has his revenge. I think it would have been a powerful moment. Also wanted to see his mother fight against all those bad guys rather than see Shang-Chi's reaction to her fighting. I was sure they were going to show it as some sort of inspirational moment for Shang-Chi, but it never happened.

Yeah for me one of the only scenes missing was the scene where Shang-Chi has his revenge. I think it would have been a powerful moment. Also wanted to see his mother fight against all those bad guys rather than see Shang-Chi's reaction to her fighting. I was sure they were going to show it as some sort of inspirational moment for Shang-Chi, but it never happened.

I think that's one area where this movie would have benefitted from having a harder edge to it than the MCU likes to show. DC or Fox would have had no problem showing Shang Chi's mom fight to the death, or showing Shang Chi execute a man in revenge (of course the tradeoff is that DC and Fox are/were usually afraid of making their comic book movies actually feel like comic book movies, so whatcha gonna do?).

I think that's one area where this movie would have benefitted from having a harder edge to it than the MCU likes to show. DC or Fox would have had no problem showing Shang Chi's mom fight to the death, or showing Shang Chi execute a man in revenge (of course the tradeoff is that DC and Fox are/were usually afraid of making their comic book movies actually feel like comic book movies, so whatcha gonna do?).
Yeah it was definitely a choice not to show these things. Like I don't know how Shang-Chi's mother actually died. I know it doesn't really matter, but I would have loved to have seen her fight to the last man (without her powers to show how badass she was)

Yeah it was definitely a choice not to show these things. Like I don't know how Shang-Chi's mother actually died. I know it doesn't really matter, but I would have loved to have seen her fight to the last man (without her powers to show how badass she was)
Show how badass she is and also add to the emotion of losing her for the film characters and for the audience (like when Bruce Lee’s character lost his sister in Enter the Dragon).

Possibility they did film these scenes but for pacing reasons, left them out. Happens all the time.

As far as not showing Shang-Chi killing the man, they could always show it in a sequel since it’s a flashback. I imagine the sequel may involve someone coming after Shang-Chi for revenge for that.

I think at the part where Shang-Chi tells Katy the truth about killing his mother's murderer... there should have been a flashback to that moment. Perhaps showing Shang-Chi's horror at what he had become and what his father had led him to do. It would have made his choice to leave that life behind (and his sister) more impactful. No hate though... I really did enjoy the movie and really rate it. I just think these small things would have made it a 9/10 for me.

It will be interested to see if any deleted scenes come out eventually.

so was the 10 Rings from Iron Man 1 just a different 10 Rings? They aren't mentioned in the movie at all and they just seemed like a terrorist organization from the Middle East with no connections at all to the real Mandarin.

so was the 10 Rings from Iron Man 1 just a different 10 Rings? They aren't mentioned in the movie at all and they just seemed like a terrorist organization from the Middle East with no connections at all to the real Mandarin.

They're the same organization. The first scene implies that the 10 rings had agents around the world.

They're the same organization. The first scene implies that the 10 rings had agents around the world.
oh I see. I must have missed that. the agents in Iron Man didn't apply any martial arts when they were fighting though, they just all had guns. Was the Mandarin really behind Tony Stark's kidnapping?

oh I see. I must have missed that. the agents in Iron Man didn't apply any martial arts when they were fighting though, they just all had guns. Was the Mandarin really behind Tony Stark's kidnapping?
I think it was more just a massive retcon and a way to connect things for Marvel. I didn't get any sort of connection between the two either

I think it was more just a massive retcon and a way to connect things for Marvel. I didn't get any sort of connection between the two either
It can't be a retcon, because there was a scene where the real Mandarin is watching the video surveillance of Tony Stark's kidnapping. I didn't even catch that during the movie but New Rockstars put it in their breakdown video

I get the feeling that the Ten Rings has a lot of different cells, including very loosely connected cells. I'm guessing the one in the middle east responsible for capturing Tony Stark was one of those loosely connected ones (ie. the capture likely didn't have Wenwu's - the real Mandarin's - fingerprints on it at all).

It can't be a retcon, because there was a scene where the real Mandarin is watching the video surveillance of Tony Stark's kidnapping. I didn't even catch that during the movie but New Rockstars put it in their breakdown video
Really?? I must have missed that! A small detail like that definitely improves the movie for me, given my major gripe was the lack of attention to the Ten Rings as a criminal enterprise like Hydra.

Well this is the thing, I don't think the Ten Rings is supposed to be entirely a martial arts/ninja type thing. Maybe just the inner circles closest to the Mandarin himself mirror that but as you go further out to the outer circles they're more independent but still technically affiliated.

I get the feeling that the Ten Rings has a lot of different cells, including very loosely connected cells. I'm guessing the one in the middle east responsible for capturing Tony Stark was one of those loosely connected ones (ie. the capture likely didn't have Wenwu's - the real Mandarin's - fingerprints on it at all).

This is how I've interpreted it as well. The different cells act in the name of the 10 rings and maybe follow their overall goals but Wenwu is not involved in their day to day operations. They come up with their own agendas.

Which movie was this shown in?

Edit - wait was this in Shang-Chi lol? I guess I missed it then.

Last edited:
The mid credits surprised me as I didn't think Shang Chi would have met any Avengers until his second movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"