• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shazam Shazam: Fury of the Gods General News and Discussion Thread

I feel horrible for Sandberg and the cast. I'm going to to try to catch this today or tomorrow to support it but man, I really didnt predict this thing tanking so hard. This is Fant4stic level disaster. What went wrong here?!

A trailer that made it seem like the most generic film ever, the actual film being not very good, a general audience that doesn't get as excited for superhero films as before, and a very weak DC brand.

Oof. 125M budget + 105M marketing = 460M breakeven. The movie will probably not make it to 200M WW. 130+ million loss for WB.

Those numbers are pretty horrific for it. Might push a rethink in releasing properties like this with a high budget.

I feel horrible for Sandberg and the cast. I'm going to to try to catch this today or tomorrow to support it but man, I really didnt predict this thing tanking so hard. This is Fant4stic level disaster. What went wrong here?!

What went wrong?!

DC made another mediocre film - the same thing that's been happening since 2013 (with the exceptions of WW and The Batman).

I mean, what are you guys expecting at this point...

This had sh*t written over it the moment the first trailer dropped. First film was fun, but average at best. Did anyone really think this would be some sort of groundbreaking improvement?

You can't continue to make movies in a cinematic universe that you've also announced you're killing off, because it's not popular or successful enough.

"Come and see the film from the DCEU - the thing most of you don't like."

All of this could have been avoided if WB had discovered the balls to cut the stupid failure off at the knees years ago.

People are in for a shock when The Flash and Aquaman 2 open.

Very surprised they even made a sequel considering the first one's numbers.

Or at least you think that woulda been the place to inject the Rock (and Superman)

You can't continue to make movies in a cinematic universe that you've also announced you're killing off, because it's not popular or successful enough.

"Come and see the film from the DCEU - the thing most of you don't like."

All of this could have been avoided if WB had discovered the balls to cut the stupid failure off at the knees years ago.

People are in for a shock when The Flash and Aquaman 2 open.

See, i dont know i quite agree with that. I fully agree the DC brand is weak but lets be honest here, the Shazam movies are barely connected to the DCEU. I dont even know that the general audience registers that these movies are technically connected to other things. So what im saying is, Shazam might as well be its own thing.

I think its more like what some of the others have said, the movie just failed to get people’s attention plain and simple. And the first one didnt set the world on fire either.

Very surprised they even made a sequel considering the first one's numbers.

Or at least you think that woulda been the place to inject the Rock (and Superman)
Guess they thought they would grow from there, especially with the family having powers from the get go, and even better if the film actually had Black Adam /The Rock as it should have. Yeah if the DCEU were continuing as was probably the case when these ideas were conceived, they probably they could have made bank having Cavill in there too. All the plans are out the window now and these remaining DCEU films (maybe outside Flash) are being put out to die. :csad:

See, i dont know i quite agree with that. I fully agree the DC brand is weak but lets be honest here, the Shazam movies are barely connected to the DCEU. I dont even know that the general audience registers that these movies are technically connected to other things. So what im saying is, Shazam might as well be its own thing.

I think its more like what some of the others have said, the movie just failed to get people’s attention plain and simple. And the first one didnt set the world on fire either.

You think? The first film has multiple references to the DCEU versions of the Justice League. There's a Man Of Steel Superman cameo at the end (sort of). The whole film is firmly planted in the DCEU canon. It constantly raises it throughout. And then this second movie has a Wonder Woman cameo that was spoiled pre-release. The multiple references the DCEU Justice League continue.

...pretty sure the audience knows it's DCEU.

I don't think the audience cares as much as you think.

Which is really the point i was making. I dont think this movie, or any DCEU movie really, lives or dies because its part of this connected universe. In fact, i dont even think the “DCEU” even really means anything to the GA because its been so all over the place.

Which is really the point i was making. I dont think this movie, or any DCEU movie really, lives or dies because it’s part of this connected universe. In fact, i dont even think the “DCEU” even really means anything to the GA because it’s been so all over the place.
I don’t even think the general audience even knows what the heck a “DCEU” even is.

Despite the movie being mediocre, I think the audience just didn’t know when to expect the movie since it was delayed 3 times (?)

That said, based on the first post credit scene…

I assume Shazam will show up in Peachmaker S2 or the Waller show. Hopefully some of the other cast members show up because I can’t stand Levi as a person.

Despite the movie being mediocre, I think the audience just didn’t know when to expect the movie since it was delayed 3 times (?)

That said, based on the first post credit scene…

I assume Shazam will show up in Peachmaker S2 or the Waller show. Hopefully some of the other cast members show up because I can’t stand Levi as a person.

no - they need to stop all this right now and start over. Use the flash movie as a reset and get us out of this god-forsaken broken cinematic universe. If we continue to get a puzzle piece of broken canon across several contradicting movies… WB will continue to fail.

Gunn is signaling some kind of hybrid restart, where he can keep some characters like gadot while starting over with others like Superman. This is a stupid move, IMO. It’s all or nothing, and it’d be better if they committed to something sooner rather than later.

Was projected to open with 85M owrldwide and the first movie had a 155M worldwide opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"