Shenmue 3

Discussion in 'Misc. and Multiplatform Games' started by SatEL, May 4, 2009.

1. SatEL

SatEL Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Sega is going to release this game, I have been waiting years for it and I am certain I am not the only one.

2. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Probably not. The first two weren't huge commercial successes, it's been like ten years, and I'm pretty sure the creator's moved onto other ideas.

3. Brainiac 8

Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

Uuurrghh! I thought you were posting an announcement...should have known it was nothing. :cmad:

The first two, although critically recieved well, and having a rather rabbid cult following, they were not good sellers. Sega has said many times that the third game just isn't going to happen.

4. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

The first one was a major financial disaster for Sega, in fact. It was like a perfect storm of terrible financial decisions. They overproduced the game with a pretty huge budget for the time, and then they committed it to their clearly floundering Dreamcast console.

5. Matt

Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

I'm not willing to count Shenmue 3 out just yet. The creator has consistently expressed interest ever since Shenmue 2, to this very day and with the Dreamcast going back on sale for $99, it is possible that Sega could start selling their games again on the cheap as a way to make a quick profit. This could result in a resurgence of popularity for the franchise and new fans. Its not likely, but its also not impossible.

6. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

What? The Dreamcast is going back on sale? As in, they're manufacturing new ones?

7. Brainiac 8

Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

There is a company online that has been getting a stock of new Dreamcast machines, and selling them for $99.

I wouldn't read into it, especially tricking yourself into thinking this will lead to newly made DC games.

8. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Fair enough. Could generate some new interest in Shenmue, though. I actually bought a Dreamcast off of eBay to play Shenmue. Never did finish it, though. It's a long, long game.

9. Matt

Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

New ones, definitely not. However, Sega may start re-producing older DC games and selling them for piss cheap. Especially considering that the online company has already sold out in record time. Reproducing old games would be a cheap and easy endeavor that could make Sega some quick cash. That alone could regenerate interest in Shenmue and lead to a PS3/360 Shenmue 3. In a perfect world, the same scenario would occur with the criminally underrated gem, Skies of Arcadia.

10. Brainiac 8

Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

It would be a neat prospect. The Dreamcast had one of the best first party libraries Sega ever produced. Heck if re-releases could get me a new "Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue" than I would be all for it.

11. ProjectPat2280

ProjectPat2280 SELLING...PERFECTION

Shenmue is one of the greatest games iv ever played. Its the main reason why ill never get rid of my DC. I would love a Shenmue 3, i just dont see it happening.

12. zeptron

zeptron Well-Known Member

Bah! I saw this thread and I thought they had finally announced it. I knew it was too good to be true.

13. Lucien

Lucien Bozhe Moi

The Dreamcast was a great console, it didn't last nearly as long as it should've. I loved Shenmue, it was a fantastic game, but I never got to play 2. I hope they get ported to current-gen consoles.

14. Rukus

Rukus Well-Known Member

Shenmue 1 and 2 were great games. It's a shame we might never get part 3 to at least finish up the storyline. The battle against Lan Di had potential to be great.

15. ChrisBaleBatman

ChrisBaleBatman Legendary Hero

I don't think it'll happen.

Although, SEGA has been extremely inconsistent with Shenmue. I think Shenmue 3 has been announced, then de-nounced, like three or four different times since Shenmue 2 hit. That's probably what caused so much confusion on when/if the 3 would come out.

And then there was the cancelled Shenmue Online. There was even a really badass trailer that came out that, to this day, still makes me want that game to come out.

The first bad sign for me was when they had to condense like three or or four chapters into one game with Shenmue 2.

Sigh...I kinda wish they'd come out with a graphic novel or something. Anything so I can finish the damn story. I've refused to finish Shenmue 2 because of this. I just know I'll want more.

16. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

I refused to even play Shenmue II because of that.:csad:

And by the way...:cmad: at this thread for being misleading.

17. SatEL

SatEL Well-Known Member

Bump any news? Since Sega have been busy you think they will finally end the Shenmue saga..............those bastards. I guess now they have Yakuza they probably wont bother with Shenmue but I guess there is always hope if fans cry out loud enough.

18. ProjectPat2280

ProjectPat2280 SELLING...PERFECTION

No. Shenmue III isnt happening. Period.

19. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

Yakuza is pretty much the spiritual successor to Shenmue, so you might want to check out Yakuza 3 when it comes to the west.

And by the way... double :cmad: for bumping this misleading thread and tricking me again.

20. zenith16

zenith16 Well-Known Member

ok this should settle things for now. I just got this in my E-mail from game spot in the look for

GameSpot at Sega--Reader Questions Answered!

this is what was said.

you'll find this under Resonance of Fate. in the top url

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  21. ChrisBaleBatman

Hasn't Shenmue always been like a cult hit? Kinda like Yakuza has been here?

I've just heard that it takes more than that to get a sequel. The only reason Yakuza is getting more rope is because of how massive a hit the game is in Japan.

22. CantThinkOfAName

CantThinkOfAName Well-Known Member

Seriously, Sega made so many great franchises for the Dreamcast, none of which are being used anymore, except when they make Sega All-Stars or whatever. Now its all Sonic and Super Monkey Ball.

23. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

I wish Sega would give Shenmue the HD treatment and release it on the PSN and XBLA and see how well that does to gauge whether it warrants a sequel

24. ChrisBaleBatman

If they breathe even a little bit of life into the Dreamcast, I'd be in.

So many great games, that never really got their dues.

Wasn't SONY trying to make an exclusive deal with SEGA or something? I think I remember the rumblings about that, and possibly getting Dreamcast games on PSN.

25. zenith16

zenith16 Well-Known Member

Sega's mostly almost a part of Nintendo now. the only other person they'll sold to formerly is Xbox where this game was concered.

They should do it over again it on the 360. Really though they did redo Shenmue and it's sequel both for Xbox formerly.

So all they really have to do is re -release it on the 360 and if they want to ps3 and
    Nintendo.
    and pc(seeing that they have pc like phantacy star.)

They'll be set to have franchise up and ready to go again.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009