Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. SHIELD is given a shorter 13 episode season 6

Since you brought up the international audience I have been traveling and seeing constant promos from FOX in the Philippines, where they are about three weeks behind the US and was amazed by the focus on Phil Coulson

Last edited:
Makes sense to have it on deck as a January start with Clark Gregg being in Captain Marvel, and you can then lead up to a finish near Avengers 4.

A shorter season quite often implies cancellation when renewals come around again. I'd love to know where networks get the number 13 from though; it's always seemed off to me. What's wrong with ten, or fifteen?

In any case, if this is their last roll, they could do with bringing in the Rider again. I guess there's always an option to (re)introduce these characters in other MCU shows or, in the MCU itself moving forward. I know a few people have said before that Greg wouldn't be in another MCU film cause he's a 'tv actor now and the contract wouldn't work' or some BS like that, which as we very well know, has now been crushed (seeing as he's appearing in Captain Marvel).

A shorter season quite often implies cancellation when renewals come around again. I'd love to know where networks get the number 13 from though; it's always seemed off to me. What's wrong with ten, or fifteen?

In any case, if this is their last roll, they could do with bringing in the Rider again. I guess there's always an option to (re)introduce these characters in other MCU shows or, in the MCU itself moving forward. I know a few people have said before that Greg wouldn't be in another MCU film cause he's a 'tv actor now and the contract wouldn't work' or some BS like that, which as we very well know, has now been crushed (seeing as he's appearing in Captain Marvel).
I might be the source by telling second hand of a Star Trek writer talking about the TV writers contract and the rest of the cast who made a first appearance on TV. So all of them except Coulson. Basically he said as part of a strike settlement a TV writer gets paid for the use of characters, even those adapted from other media like Daisy. In order for a movie producers to pay for her they would really, really want to use a character and it won't be done for a cameo.

I would guess 13 from the old 26 episode seasons. It doesn't seem to line up with a September premier and a break for the US Thanksgiving through New Year's holiday season

This show is incredibly lucky to be renewed for 1 more season. Anyway, its ABC's money.

Hopefully if it's last season they do it justice and make it good.

I think a shorter 13 episode season is a great idea regardless of whether it is or isn't the final season. Here in the UK we have between six and thirteen episodes for our series, and it works extremely well. It means series are streamlined, and cuts out unnecessary padding.

I think a shorter 13 episode season is a great idea regardless of whether it is or isn't the final season. Here in the UK we have between six and thirteen episodes for our series, and it works extremely well. It means series are streamlined, and cuts out unnecessary padding.
We have 13 episode shows too hense the 13 episode order for this series.

Sometimes though slowburn shows help with character development.

In the case of AoS, since they broke up into smaller arcs, 13 is fine.

It is becoming increasingly popular on American TV, particularly on serialized were padding occurs as opposed to episodic shows.

Thank God its in the summer now, as I don't have much shows to watch during the sumer.

Actually makes sense to do a summer run currently. Otherwise they have to address all the missing people. Instead, they can do a single episode looking back at it and jump back in post-A4. I also think this is a test run for moving it to streaming. Most of the ones on Netflix are 13 episode arcs. I could see them moving the show to either the Disney streaming (coming in 2019) or Hulu if they decide to ramp it up to where it would require an "R" rating. Honestly, SHIELD would work better on Hulu. Bring a little more graphic violence to it and make it more edgy.

Makes sense to have it on deck as a January start with Clark Gregg being in Captain Marvel, and you can then lead up to a finish near Avengers 4.

That doesn't make sense at all. The problem has been that if you have season 6 set between Infinity War and Avengers 4, it would cause massive continuity problems. Either you'd have to disconnect the series entirely or it would spoil Avengers 4, or simply not align with it at all.

Setting it after Avengers 4 would make much more sense and create far fewer headaches for all involved.

Do shows often shorten seasons when it isn’t their last one?

I'm not sure if Elementary is doing that with Season 6. It is certainly starting later (it's only been on about 2 weeks now). I don't know if it will run for 13 weeks or for a full 20+ weeks, which would easily take it beyond the summer and into maybe September.

Then I don't know when season 7 of Elementary would return.

But maybe they're also not doing a full run of AOS season 6 simply because it doesn't work this time round. You can't really do it before May because of Avengers 4 and Infinity War. They could run it for 13 weeks from May over the summer and then have another season either from October or December.

I'm not sure if Elementary is doing that with Season 6. It is certainly starting later (it's only been on about 2 weeks now). I don't know if it will run for 13 weeks or for a full 20+ weeks, which would easily take it beyond the summer and into maybe September.

Then I don't know when season 7 of Elementary would return.

But maybe they're also not doing a full run of AOS season 6 simply because it doesn't work this time round. You can't really do it before May because of Avengers 4 and Infinity War. They could run it for 13 weeks from May over the summer and then have another season either from October or December.

Oh right, sounds a bit like what they’re doing with Gotham.

Shows don't often shorten their seasons full stop. I think there are special circumstances with SHIELD though because Disney clearly wants to keep that MCU connection on broadcast TV.

In the case of Lost though that was a compromise between the network and the show because the people making Lost wanted an end date while the network wanted to stretch out the show for as long as possible.

Oh right, thanks for the above guys.

In the case of Lost though that was a compromise between the network and the show because the people making Lost wanted an end date while the network wanted to stretch out the show for as long as possible.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are a lot of precedents either way.

Yeah Netflix's Marvel shows have 13 eps, but since they only have about 5 or 6 eps of plot and the rest is filler and padding, I gave up on them and have stopped watching them. SHIELD would do a much better job condensing its plot to a shorter season.

I saw season 1 of Jessica Jones, but have lost all interest to see season 2 and the same applies to Luke Cage season 2. I never saw Iron Fist, after reading all the negative reviews it got. Even The Defenders was 2 or 3 eps too long.

I'm really happy, if nothing else this will be an opportunity to go out on their terms, they have almost a year to craft the perfect final season.

At least the final season on ABC... :sly:

The actors may also want to pursue other projects though, 6+ years of their work life has been already a great gift.

I'd like Whedon and Tancharoen to tackle some other Marvel propriety, on the new Disney streaming service they may be freer also.

Should we make a poll about which spin-off we'd like best as a spiritual successor? GR? Deathlok? Or something completely new?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"