Shoot 'Em up

Saw this the other night, some cool action sequences and a nice dark streak of humour, it was gloriously over the top and blatantly wink wink nudge nudge at some of the more far fetched action cinema without ever being an out and out parody like Hot Fuzz was.

Owen playing it dead pan and Giamatti wildly camping it up were both tons of fun to watch. :up:

7/10

Here are a few more comments, as i was in a rush earlier.

The movie is, on the whole, a mixed bag for me, on the one hand, we have another great Clive Owen performance (i never used to like to like him, but his roles of late have just got better and better), and a fabulouslesly OTT performance from Paul Giamatti that makes his bad-guy a very compelling and great one to watch. Some of the action scene's are also great.

But, sometimes, the movie just goes beyond OTT a little too much for me, and it almost ruins it, the BMW vs Van being the prime example, FAR too OTT even for this movie IMO.

Overall, the movie is very enjoyable, especially when you have had a hard day at work and want to switch the brain off, but in all honesty, i cant see this being a movie i will watch on a regular basis, so in a way i am a bit sorry i bought the DVD, although as i said, it will often come in handy after a difficult day at work. OH, and the baby was so obviously fake in some scene's.

There's no such thing as too over-the-top. :grin:

I love this movie. It's my second favourite movie of 2007. Paul Giamatti is one of the coolest villains I've ever seen.

I think i know what your number favourite of 2007 is!

But yeah, i dont mind OTT if the character has super-powers, or the story isnt based in the real world, but Smith didnt have SP's, and the movie was pretty much based in the real world.

That bit were he crashed the car and fly's through both windshields, was just TOO MUCH for me.

It doesn't bother me because being ridiculously OTT is the whole point of the movie, but I understand where you're coming from.

Yes, No. 1 is Transformers. :yay:

Jake Cassidy[B said:
;13941896]It doesn't bother me because being ridiculously OTT is the whole point of the movie, but I understand where you're coming from.[/B]

Yes, No. 1 is Transformers. :yay:

I realise it was meant to be OTT, but it just went a bit TOO far in certain places, i think this may have been a factor in its BO takings, people are often turned off by OTT.

^Oh i agree, the GA are a pain in the ash with the movies they make successful. Just saying the level of OTT-ness in SEU may have turned people off.

I think A.O. Scott said that this was the worst movie of the entire 2007.

-TNC

It wasnt a bad movie per se, but i can definately see why the nature of the movie turned some people off.

After looking at his "Best of 2007" list - as well as his review of Shoot 'Em Up I can confirm the fact that A.O. Scott IS, in fact, an idiot.

who is A.O. Scott?

I am assuming that since you chose to type his name on this message board instead of google you really aren't THAT interested in knowing who he REALLY is, so instead I will tell you all you NEED to know.

He is an idiot.

[BLACKOUT]That may or may not review movies for the NYTimes.[/BLACKOUT]

Well Shoot 'Em Up was a pretty bad movie, but I don't think it was the worst of 2007.

Meh it was ok i knew it was going to be an ok movie, since the point where he killed a guy by driving a carrot through a dudes head

Well Shoot 'Em Up was a pretty bad movie, but I don't think it was the worst of 2007.

It wasn't a bad movie - it was a parody. :cmad:

I was going to apologize for being a dick with my last post - but not anymore :lmao:

I said it wasn't the worst. That's a good thing. lol

And don't worry about being a dick. You were right. I didn't actually care enough to find out who Scott was for myself. Otherwise, I would have just googled his name.

Monica Bellucci's sexyness saved the film, IMO. The stuff with the carrot was kind of funny though.

Just watched the Blu-Ray copy. Holy bad place what an awesome movie.

10/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"