Aliens Vs Predator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmylace

Civilian
Reaction score
When will AVPII- Alien Vs Predator be released?

The director's cut of the movie is in place and has been well received by the studio FOX according to co-director Colin Strause. The movie is currently undergoing "final tweaks." The movie is tentatively slated for release on the 25th December 2007 and worldwide by the 16 January 2008 at the latest. However, co-director Colin Strause had this to say about the movies' release date:

"Nothing is offical yet. Dates move all the time this early from release. We're done in early summer, so it could come out any time after that."

Who are the directors?

First-time feature directors Greg & Colin Strause a.k.a "The Brothers Strause" will be helming the picture. Coming from a music-video background, they have worked with bands such as Linkin Park and Nickelback. A showreel of their work can be viewed at:

http://www.brothersstrause.com

An on-set interview with the directors can also be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ6B4nlNtzg

Isn't this movie going to be called Alien Vs Predator: Survival Of The Fittest?

Whilst that was the title at one stage during development, co-director Colin Strause has confirmed that "survival of the fittest" is no longer the title of the movie.

*in reference to an official "special effects of AvP2" book*

"They need to change the title of book, because that isn't our name of our film. And it's nice seeing the creatures in the real look of the film."

However, whilst the final name has been decided, it still remains under wraps.

Will the movie be rated "Hard-R?"

Yes, without question.

20th Century Fox President Tom Rothman on AVP2:

"Let’s put it this way, I think the approach this time is going to be very hardcore. Very R rated. I think this is a, we believe that, this pass on AVP with these filmmakers is going to be a lot closer to the hardcore experience."

Colin Strause on screen-deaths in the movie:

"We got some pretty nasty ones for the fans."

What will the movies' run-time be?

Greg Strause: "You can't force a time onto a movie, otherwise it will drag. That said, the length of Predator is good for that type of movie, so I'm sure we will be somewhere in that range once we are done editing, but until then we don't want to be quoted on the length before the edit is locked. It will be as long as it needs to be."

"We won't know the run time for quite a while. Editing is under way, and we have months of work to do. We are huge fans of the original scores....I repeat..we're going back to the roots."

More recently, Colin Strause had this to say about the run-time :
"It's longer than that right now. I said it would be the closer the length of Predator, which I believe is 108 minutes."

The Aint It Cool News Script Review

AICN posted an early and very damning review of writer Shane Salerno's script for Alien Vs Predator 2 which caused quite a stir:

"It’s really that bad a script. If fans don’t already feel like whipped dogs, they will by the end of this, and the sad thing is, they’ll buy just enough tickets to guarantee Fox makes another one of these, if only for DVD, in the future. Because it’s so cold and crass and calculating, so pointless a retread of the work of the genuine talents involved in the franchises previously, this is the one that feels like the stake in the heart of both properties. This is the announcement that they’re not remotely interested in continuing the films in a way that expands the great work that already exists. It’s creatively bankrupt in a way designed to take the least effort for a return. It’s a bitter pill to swallow, having to kiss off both franchises for the time being, and all I can hope is that there’s a genuine rebirth later. This certainly isn’t it."

The full review can be read here:

http://forums.nightly.net/lofiversion/index.php/t39552.html

The directors on the AICN script review

Thankfully, that script isn't the basis for the final movie. It was apparently rejected a long time before it was reviewed:

Colin Strause: "It's not worth looking at. We didn't shoot that script, nor have I even seen or read it, so let it R.I.P."

"How many times do we have to say we never read that script which was reviewed by AICN? That thing was long, long gone BEFORE that review even hit the web, so please stop talking about it like it has any relevance at all to the movie that we made."

Greg Strause: "We can't give away anything about the plot, characters, etc. Everyone needs to keep in mind that since the AICN review of a really old draft (one so old that we never read it) we want to keep the details close to our chests until a trailer is ready. The movie will be R Rated, and that's about all we can say."

"I'm not going to respond to anything about the plot. You guys simply have to wait for that stuff. AICN doesn't control the development of scripts - we don't really care what they say - otherwise we'd make Snakes On A Plane 2, and nobody would go see that either.
This isn't a slasher film, its a suspenseful horror film with a serious action thread. That being said, the script was entirely re-written due to our tastes...

"Also, there are many new interesting story points in this movie that makes releasing a plot description very difficult before the trailer is released because we want people to be surprised...or does everyone want all the plot twists spoiled 3/4 of a year before the film is released? Wait for the trailer."

The story of the movie

The movie is set in Gunnison, Colorado, an isolated town surrounded by forest with a population of 7,500.

Colin Strause: "It will feel bigger than that."
"You don't have to worry about aliens being killed with pitchforks etc"

Residents must band together for any chance for survival as warring extra-terrestials descend on their town. It is believed the movie will begin in a similar way to Alien 3, with the predator ship crashing after a PredAlien runs amok killing most of the crew.

Effects co-creator Tom Woodruff. jr on the possibility of seeing the PredAlien:

"Well people from Fox are everywhere.. [looks around] ...Anyway-- we know how the first one ends, and we know what has to go down, but I really can't say whats going to be in it."

The predators activate a distress signal and call upon a "lone predator" who is highly-skilled and experienced in combat with Aliens.

Whilst the human character names remain from the ill-recieved earlier draft, how the story will unfold largely remains a mystery. All that is known is that the Aliens will use the sewers extensively and that there will be major set-pieces including:

a helicopter crash
an extensive underwater battle
the sewers
a school (several witnesses saw bloodpackets being delivered)0
a geothermal plant (rumoured to be the Alien Queen's nesting ground)
a rooftop battle;

Puppeteer Morris Chapdelaine talks about the rooftop set-piece:

"There were a lot of favourite scenes but I have to say that the battle on the rooftop was amazing! We worked on it for over 2 weeks and it was brilliant not only because of the sheer number of creatures involved, but because of the tense nature of the sequence and the choreography of the fighting. There is some stuff that has never been seen before- weapons, gadgets and hand to hand combat that is sure to pique everyone's interest."

and a hospital;

a description of the hospital scene appeared on a fansite:

"Many people start coming into the hospital who are hurt or have been killed while the Aliens and Predator were doing battle somewhere else in town. In another scene, the Aliens and Predator find themselves on the parking lot in front of the hospital and cause a lot more damage.
Vehicles and ambulances are destroyed and many more people are hurt.
A few armoured vehicles appear but they came too late and the creatures have disappeared."

To which director Colin Strause replied; "That's not quite right"
...but at the very least gives some indication to the nature of scene.

There will be no K-Mart battle.

Towards the finale of the movie the National Guard are called in to
control the chaos- possibly on the orders of "The Company" from the previous Alien films;

alienvspredator5hh7.png

A behind-the-scenes picture taken of one of the military vehicles deployed later in the movie:

alienvspredator4kn5.png

The feel of the movie: "Going back to the roots"

Colin Strause: "It's a gritty film that is quite intense and mean."

Colin Strause: "From a lighting standpoint, the rule is to backlight everything, which give us deep contrast to hide our creatures in the background, and also gives us a cool rim-lit look to our humans. When the action picks up in intensity, the camera work will go from dolly/crane moves to mostly handheld to make the auidence feel like it's part of the action, with a 2.40 widescreen letterbox for graphic compositions. There is also not a single frame of slow motion footage in the movie either. The last thing is atmosphere. Every shot has either rain, fog, steam, haze, etc, etc to give footage the depth."

"I wouldn't worry about seeing Aliens in the sun light."

^Confirmed that the Aliens will only be seen in the dark.

Greg Strause: "CG is only being used where 'in camera' techniques weren't do-able. Although I liked the original Matrix, don't expect anything in our film to resemble it."

Greg Strause: "Well, we're going to end up with a widely varied set of looks because we have lots of different settings, times of day, and moods to convey. The intent is to give the film a 'look' that is in line with our aesthetic, without pushing things so far that it looks overly stylized. Blues work well for night scenes, but they aren't our only trick...."

Fan Question: Will we see similar action scene like Aliens?
Colin Strause: "Yes, but being in an urban enviroment has it's own unique twists and turns.
Fan Question: Would you say you are going for a horror film or a more action-orientated movie?
Colin Strause: "A good mix of both."

"I do agree that it would be better to judge the film once it's been actually seen because right now everyone is making assumptions in a vaccum. That said, haters will be haters no matter what we do, so we can't ever let them sway any of our choices in making the film that we want to make. We are happy to have the support of the fans, and we think we've made a film that most of you will enjoy. Once marketing is ready we'll have a trailer on-line for you all to watch, and then you can finally see what we've been up to for the last year."

The Creatures

alienvspredatorcm5.png

Colin Strause on this press-still:

"On set photos are never taken from the correct lighting angle
because they are working around our motion picture camera,
so this will make the photos not look as good as the final movie.
They are too front lit, too bright, and might be missing all of
the slime on the creatures because the photos are usually taken
in-between takes."

Greg Strause:

"The laser was filmed 'in-camera'. We had real working lasers...."

A page-spread from the forth-coming book on ADI's special effect work on AVP2 shows the predator hunting in the sewers and shows of the new Alien design, reminiscent of Aliens:

alienvspredator2lw4.png

The alien design marks a return to the whole "psychosexual" undertones, with the back of the aliens head being round like in the first 3 movies.

Fan Comment: "ADI think pointy shapes are menacing. Hence why the head doesn't look like a penis any more."

Greg Strause: "I'd beg to differ with you on this one. Once you see the back of the head, you'll be taking this post down."

Fan Comment: "What is with the color *of the alien* though? I love the design, but whats with the tan coloration? Maybe it is because they are in a rocky/deserty area or something?"

Colin Strause: "They are blackish silver. That color is from our on set lighting."

The Predator in AVP2 also found it's way onto the front of a new re-release of
"Predator 2" for some reason:

alienvspredator3if3.png

More about The Predator

Colin Strause: "This Predator has been around for a long time... and those are markings on his helmet by the way."

"The Predator can't cloak in the rain. We don't break the rules. But we have plenty of times where he cloaks."

Fan Questions about the Predator:

"Will the predators face be the same crappy version like in AvP or will you be bringing back the original preds face?"

Colin Strause: "He is our own unique design, but also is like the Predator's from the original films. Wiser in his years."

"The face is fully animatronic... eyes included."

"It's silicon head that's fully animatronic. And there are some nicknames, but it's too early to talk about them now... They were used to help track the creatures through production so that way all the department heads could tell each specific creature, for example: if one creature was damaged at an earlier point in the movie, then everyone would have to make sure that damaged suit was used in every shot afterward... The Predator's face was re-designed completely. "

Greg Strause: "Yes, we used silicon, as you get much more realistic results."

"Will the Predator have acid proof weaponry and armor for close combat this time?"
Colin Strause: "He is well prepared for battle"

Are you going to introduce any new predator weapons?
"He has some new "tools."

*Wrist-blades* Are they huge like in the first AvP or they will be
normal-size, like in the original predator movies?
"Original"

Will we hear the original *predator* sound effects again in the movie?
"Yes."
Will we see the Predators eyes flash?
"Yes."
Will the Predator's thermal vision will be blue in AvP2 and not orange as in AvP?
"Yes. But he does have other vison modes too."

"Here's the deal. Thermal and IR cameras are the same thing. The "thermal" difference is a real-time color correcting hardware built into a IR camera (different from nightvision IR) that does the different color modes. The CCD chip in the camera produces a black and white image which is re-mapped to give it that color banded look. All the footage for this film was recorded in its black and white default look, and then we'll be doing all the coloring in post so we have more control over the tempature ranges. We filmed our APC video all on thermal cameras, so we are very used to how they work. You can't see through glass, liquids, or see any patterens in materials. Also, there's a company that sells head-gear thermal glasses if you want to be a real life Predator for about 10 grand. :)"

"We really like that Predator 2 ship as well."

Will the Predator be using the trees/forest like in the original Predator?
"Some questions are better answered by watching the movie."

Suit-actor Ian Whyte talks about the predator role in the movie:

"Greg and Colin Strause, the directors, were very particular about the vision that they wanted to see in this film,and of course, being a movie called ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, that whole concept is featured heavily.
They say because of the story in AvP2, it's a different Predator this time; they've tried to come up with a different version of it which is very detailed and very complete.There’s only one Predator [in the movie], but there are plenty of Aliens.”

"Apart from little design stylisations to make the character unique, the new costume is entirely reminiscent of the original; it was very tight fitting and was designed to make the Predator more svelte, lithe and athletic in appearance."

Filming Techniques and not using too much CGI:

Colin: "We did a good chunk of wire work, and they we used CG Aliens where it was impossible to do it in camera."

"Special Effects are done on set. Visual Effects are done after the shoot. We started some of the bigger shots early on in the editting, but most of the shots aren't started until the edit is mostly locked in so that you aren't wasting money on shots that won't make it into the film."

*about the Alien* "A lot of tails in the first AVP were CG, or real ones moved on a fishing pole. I don't think the hydraulic one in AVP had a hydraulic moving tail, but I could be wrong... Ours didin't have a tail, but it was only used on a few special shots (And it was an all new hydraulic design). 90% of the time is was the animatrionic head on an actor like Tom, or a stunt head for the stunt actors. The new animatronic heads have a lot more movement than they did in the last film."

"Wire work is very tough. It's hard wearing a 40 pound animatronic head in the rain while trying to perform on a wire at night. You also have to deal with the problem that the tails become water logged, or get tangled up with the wires. When ever we had Tom in the suit it was amazing, but there are situations that it's impossible to do no matter how hard you try on set. Also time was an important issue. Do you try for 3 hours to get the shot in camera, or spend 30 minutes shooting a plate for a CG one so that you can get other extra cools shots that day.
Then there are limitations like you can't do mouth strikes while a human is in the suit, so it's either a CG mouth striker or a hydraulic ram mounted on a hand-held head that only works for extreme close-ups. Also, there are safety issues with squib hits (gun wounds, etc) being too close to the actors, so some of them are being done is CG for that reason. That's why there are going a be a few fully CG aliens, but most of the time it will be Tom with a CG tail and/or CG mouth striker. But with all of that said, I would love to do another movie with in camera monsters. It was fun as hell, and nothing beats the real reactions of an actor as an Alien is inches from them with the drool splattering on thier face. CG can't do that."

Greg Strause: "Even when you use in-camera creatures, that doesn't mean there aren't other CGI effects like de-cloaking, weapon blades deploying, wire work to be painted out, plasma basts, etc, etc. Also, there will always be a few shots that are impossible to do with in-camera actors, so CGI stunt doubles are needed."

Colin: "We hired some really talented comic book artists to help us with the story boards. We also did CGI pre-vis (animated 3d story boards) for all the big sequences, and pre-edited a huge chunk of the film before we even started shooting."

Sets/Locations

Colin: "We moved to a new location almost every day, but we did spend a bit of time in forests as well. There wasn't a lot of stage work until the end of the shot schedule, which was good because it started snowing on our last exterior shoot day."

Stunts

Stunt performer James Bamford mentioned one scene he did while working on AvP2: "I was attacked by an alien in the rain and was jerked into an alleyway on a wire and bounced off the wall."

Sound Effects & The Score

The directors discuss their intentions for the music in the movie:

Greg Strause:*answering a fan suggestion for a metal soundtrack*
"The score must and wll be orchestral."

"My feeling is that things will lean more towards the originals. Brian is working away...but its still early in the process. I agree, those drums *Predator military theme* are hard to beat."

Colin Strause *on atmospheric sound* "We are even digging into the archives to make sure our sound effects match the real deal.
What you hear can be much scarier then what you see. That's why you have to spend just as much time on the sound as you do the visuals."

Composer Brian Tyler talks about his score for the film:

"Of course, there's the next "Alien vs. Predator" movie, and I'll be recording that soon, here in Los Angeles. And it's obvious, anyone who knows me knows I'm a massive sci-fi fan, so venturing into the Aliens and Predator world, there's no words to describe how cool that is for me.
What I would like to try and do with this one is to really go back to what I think worked in the original "Alien"... "Alien", "Aliens"... well, Goldenthal's is a great score, too, they're all great scores, Frizzell's, I love them all, but we're really trying to echo the early ones, as well as Alan's score for "Predator". So we are going to be delving into those areas, the sonic template for it will be very orchestral and very natural. It's not going to be keyboard-y or overproduced, not the hyperproduced sort of thing.
A lot of people do that very well, Hans is great at that very slick sound, but we're going go the other way on that, go for a very primal sound. It reflect the primal nature of both aliens and predators, if you go back and watch the originals, they're very primal. The original "Alien", some of that stuff, it's so organic, so exciting. There's a bit of military stuff going on, and there's some of that in "Aliens", it had a little bit of a military sound. But, you know, it's a bit like going to my childhood, being able to experience that again. The directors are great, the movie's coming along great, so really looking forward to that."

Actors

Fox hired Reiko the best personal trainer in Vancouver to help her prepare for the role. She worked out “2-3 times a day” and had a very strict diet and supplement regiment so she could appear “fit, toned, buffed and bulked up” for the role of Kelly O’Brien. Weapons she fires in the show include pistols, machine-guns, the SAW (aka M249 Squad Automatic Weapon) and a tank mounted machine gun that “if you stand it up, it would be like twice my height and shoots flame out 8 feet when you fire it.”

Juan Riedinger will be playing a character called Scotty.
JR: He’s a bit of a half-wit who works at a sporting-goods store with his buddy Earl (Rainbow Francks). The two are caught off guard by some commotion, and crazy things happen. I think that’s about all I can say

As for the character of Earl... :cwink:

Gets his head blown clean off by a predator in a scene not dissimilar to Mac's death in the original Predator movie.

Shareeka Epps, Kendra in AvP2, recently gave a little information regarding AvP2 to MTV: "I play Kendra and I basically try to protect my brother throughout the whole movie," she said. Remembering how "Jaws" once made audiences afraid to go in the ocean, Epps said "AVP2" is set in Colorado and will dictate where audiences will be afraid to go next. "The aliens return through the sewers," she said of the plot. "It's crazy."

The Brothers Strause on their pitch for AVP1 and the possibility of an
AVP3....set in space.

Fan Question: When you were applying for director in the first AvP, did you use your own draft of a script? If so, is some of that going to be implented into AvP2?

Colin: It was our own idea, and this is such a different film that there wasn't really much, if anything, that could be taken from that pitch to this movie. It's something for another day.

Greg: Yes, we did pitch on the orig. We're saving that idea for the future....

Fan Question: So you mean you have intentions of returning to the franchise, or that you could use it for another project?
Greg: I guess that all depends....

Fan Question: Will we finally get a future/space setting like the Alien films or the AVP comics?

Greg: Well, Colin and I are not the final authority on this, but that would be our preference. The problem with movies that take place in space is cost - they require huge budgets, and are hence quite risky. There have been a good share of big budget sci-fi bombs over the last few years... but ultimately it will depend on the sucess of AVP2...

Fan Question: Why AvP for your first feature?

Colin: There is nothing more amazing then being able to work with these franchises, so why not?

Fan Question: Any news on a teaser or website?
Colin: its being worked on. should be getting that and the web site up soon...

--------

When will the teaser/trailer be released?

Whilst there have been rumours that a teaser would be attached to prints of Live Free Or Die Hard, these remain unfounded. It is likely that a teaser will be available after May 20th-

AN AvP2 Panel will be there (at the Fangoria Convention) with ADI SFX creators Tom Woodruff and Alex Gillis. The event will probably be similar to the Comic-Con event that was held before AvP came out. Q&A session followed by whatever it is they're showing. Though they say preview, I think it'll be more like a short clip or maybe even a teaser. The event takes place in Burbank, California between May 18-20, 2007

???

Ok, Im really looking forward to this film, Im hoping it's pretty good.

Thank you for this thread. Wow, everything you've posted has me pumped.

I pray to ****ing God they don't screw this one up too.

This was a supreme letdown in terms of execution of the film!! :cmad: For an idea that's had me interested since Jr. High school, I look to get a whole hell of alot more substance this time around.

Cause if not, just make the damn Predator a barista @ 'bucks!!

I have no doubt this will blow AvP out of the water. It may even be on par with Predator 2.

well I think the intention is there. The directors seem to know what theyre talking about and come across as genuine fans. My only concern is the quality of acting really, but I think Predator 2 is a good level of expectation to have. I dont think AVP2 is going to wow the critics or become a classic, but I do think it will please fans of the AVP concept.

but I do think it will please fans of the AVP concept.
From the interviews I think that's what the directors are aiming for, unlike Paul WS Ander-cun-t. That guy could give two s--ts about the fans of the concept.

anderson was enthusiastic, and if I'm honest I thought his idea of a shape shifting pyramid could have been really cool in the hands of a better director. Only problem is, whilst I think he's a good set designer, he just doesnt have the talent to write decent stories nd he's...erm...not a very good director.
You just have to look at how bad the acting was in that movie....even from good actors. Total alien fan too, the guy didnt have a clue about the predators, and given how unrecognisable they were on screen, it doesnt really surprise me it turned out the way it did. At least Fox learnt that a
PG-13 AVP movie was a mistake the hard way. I hope this sequel is good and does well, just so a future/space AvP3 could happen...shouldnt be long before the trailer hits.....

If this movie makes more money than the first they may consider doing a futuristic space marine sequel. The Strause Bros wanted this one to be set in the future but the studio said no to save money.

I guess we can't complain too much. At least the studio agreed to an R-rating.

This all actually sounds potentially good... I'm hoping for the best (I love both the Alien and Predator franchises), but I won't be holding my breath (AvP was craptastic). ;)

No need to merge Jimmy I'm just going to make this the AVP2 thread now as it has all the necessary info in the first post

*Ive substituted the link in the stickied thread at the top of the page

Looking forward to this....didn't think the first was anywhere near as bad as some people like to think it was....

all the info sounds like the directors know what they're doing. man, what a f**king awesome thing to be able to do for your first feature.

I'll admit, I wasn't looking forward to this at all until I read all the interviews posted here. They clearly have the drive and the right set of mind, and given their background in music videos I'm sure they have a visual flair necessary for a successful and engaging film. What remains to be seen is how well they've worked their budget and their effects, their story and ability to direct actors.
But already, it should be better than the original. Of course, that's not saying much.

I hope this sequel is good and does well, just so a future/space AvP3 could happen...

If this movie makes more money than the first they may consider doing a futuristic space marine sequel. The Strause Bros wanted this one to be set in the future but the studio said no to save money.

I guess we can't complain too much. At least the studio agreed to an R-rating.

Wow, sweet. :up: Glad to hear that the Strause brothers want to take the third film to futuristic space.

Hell yes for a future space marine type movie...aliens (the second movie, not the actual creatures :p) with predators in it sounds great to me!

"There is also not a single frame of slow motion footage in the movie either."

"CG is only being used where 'in camera' techniques weren't do-able. Although I liked the original Matrix, don't expect anything in our film to resemble it."

Sounds good! Coming from someone who thought the first AvP was a complete crapfest with monkey vomit on top, I am actually interested in this, and so far, it sounds like they have the right idea.

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anywhere where they acknowledged the first AvP as being good. That in itself is a good sign.

It...it doesn't sound bad...but where the **** is the queen supposed to of come from??

i honestly hope the sequel maintains the same quality as the first, because things like this can quickly degenerate into something worthless.

It...it doesn't sound bad...but where the **** is the queen supposed to of come from??

good point - it's still not known if the queen features in the movie. It's implied by one of the puppeteers and a fan claims to have seen pictures of the queen in a geothemal plant on a german fan site, but that doesnt make it definate. The directors also said we'd see something "new" explained about the alien life-cycle - they either mean the predalien (definately in the movie) or they could mean that aliens turn humans into eggs this time around (like deleted scenes from Alien)

depends really....personally im bored of the queen being in these movies so much

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anywhere where they acknowledged the first AvP as being good. That in itself is a good sign.

The Strause Brothers expressed their disappointment with the first movie when they pitched for the sequel. It's very hard to nail them down on their opinion of the first, so I guess that does say something....

the only scene I really like in that movie is when the lead Pred breaks the chestbursters neck and then shudders with happiness :woot:

UPDATE: Fangoria Horror Convention.

Looks like the trailer is still in the works unfortunately:

Colin Strause: "ADI is going to be talking about working on the film, but there isn't a big event planned for this weekend for releasing any footage yet or big story points. I'll be there for a few hours to hang out and talk, but we are still in the middle of getting the film done and finishing editing the trailer. I know everyone is dying to see stuff, but marketing decides when it's best to show stuff in this very busy season. Also, other films that come out at the same time as ours haven't given out much info either for the same reasons."

I wish they'd at least give us a Teaser. Or just a 2nd screenshot. Something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"