Should I watch this film IMAX, 3D, or Regular?

Mike Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
No spoilers, please. I'm going to see the movie tomorrow. I've never seen a movie in IMAX, but I feel this lends it to that (but I can't tell if the crazy scenes make the rest of the movie being in IMAX worth it). Alternatively, I do think it's a good movie for 3D.

Anyone see it in IMAX that can give their thoughts? If not, what suggestions do people have?

I believe all IMAX showings are IMAX 3D with Doctor Strange. At least it is at the theater I frequent and for Civil War and Batman V. Superman, they offered one showing a day that was just IMAX 2D

Honestly the 3D worked really well in this, although the glasses can get a bit annoying and gives me a bit of a headache afterwards but nothing too bad.

I'd say IMAX 3D.

IMAX 3D for sure. I saw Civil War in IMAX (no 3D) and it was awesome. I can only imagine what Doctor Strange must be like in both IMAX and 3D!

I just got back from seeing this in IMAX 3D. I am not usually into 3D, opting for the traditional 2D most of the time, but I think this film deserved it and I think I was rewarded for my choice.

Absolutely see this in 3D, you will be kicking yourself if you don't.

I saw it in 4DX 3D...that means not only are you getting 3D but you're actually sitting in a seat that moves like a theme park ride where effects occur in the theater...there are only a couple of theaters like this in the country but it was an absolute treat to say the least!

I've seen it in regular and 3D. Stick with regular, or if possible, 2D IMAX. 3D sucks, and (yet again) adds nothing appreciable to the experience. Great movie no matter how you slice it, though.

IMAX 3D - probably the first Marvel film where the 3D enhances the experience

I saw it in a 4DX theater (a theater w/ effects inside the theater where the seat actually moves like a theme park ride) w/ 3D as well and it was amazing! The visuals and the entire experience actually become that much richer!

I've seen it in regular and 3D. Stick with regular, or if possible, 2D IMAX. 3D sucks, and (yet again) adds nothing appreciable to the experience. Great movie no matter how you slice it, though.

See, I disagree. I'm not a 3D guy at all but I thought long ago that this would be a must-see in 3D based on its content and that's exactly how it was. It was very good in 3D.

To each their own, though. I just think it's a fun ride with the 3D effects.

2D. Save the extra few dollars. Don't shell out extra money just for the effects when the story and everything else is exactly the same.

Don't tell me you think this movie would be the same quality if the visual effects were lower quality, though.

Don't tell me you think this movie would be the same quality if the visual effects were lower quality, though.

I'm not speculating on what ifs- I'm going by what we have, and my experience wasn't lessened by a 2D showing, and a pair of glasses or larger screen don't enhance my experience any more than it did for the likes of The Hobbit, Age of Ultron, or others when I can have just as enjoyable of an experience at a lower cost.

And if the visual quality of the film as a whole was lowered, then it would indeed be lowered across all viewings, not just 2D.

Did you see it in 3D? If not, then you absolutely are engaging in What-Ifs, by that logic.

My point was that the visual experience is a huge part of the movie. Even if the plot is exactly the same, if the visual experience is greater, it makes the experience greater.

If I'm advocating 2D, then should be evident that, yes, I saw it in 2D. I'm not shelling out a few more dollars to have visuals pop out at me. That doesn't engross me in the story anymore than it would in just a 2D showing. And again, going back to The Hobbit for example, those 3D or IMAX showings can take you out of the experience just as much as it could enhance. So rather than waste the money for the same film, I stick with 2D.

Unless you've seen it in 3D you don't really have an opinion. Sorry.

I think it's valid to say that 2D is very good and enjoyable. What I think is less valid is arguing that 3D doesn't add anything to the movie unless they're really saying that the visuals for the movie are unimportant.

I think it's valid to say that 2D is very good and enjoyable. What I think is less valid is arguing that 3D doesn't add anything to the movie unless they're really saying that the visuals for the movie are unimportant.

I see what you're getting at Mike, but I think what people are saying, including myself, is that the nature of this film specifically lends itself well to 3D viewing. You're right in general that 3D does nothing to change core elements like story and whatnot, but it DOES enhance a lot of the visuals in this movie because things like other dimensions and magical spells are things that pop out at you.

EDIT: Sorry, this post was supposed to be directed at Fury.

I see what you're getting at Mike, but I think what people are saying, including myself, is that the nature of this film specifically lends itself well to 3D viewing. You're right in general that 3D does nothing to change core elements like story and whatnot, but it DOES enhance a lot of the visuals in this movie because things like other dimensions and magical spells are things that pop out at you.

EDIT: Sorry, this post was supposed to be directed at Fury.

Actually he's not Nick Fury.... :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"