Comics Should Superman be the last survivor of Krypton?

Lane & Kent

Civilian
Reaction score
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Should Superman be the last survivor of Krypton? In my opinon Superman should be the last survivor of Krypton. NO Zod or Kara. Only Kal-El and Brainiac should survive. Brainiac should be like the animated series version, I do not like the idea of other kryptonins because it makes Kal-El/Superman less unique.[/FONT]

I would prefer for him to be the last surviving male, yes. The Last Son of Krypton.

I think he should be the sole survivor. It adds to the mythology and theme. The rest was just milking a good thing for all it's worth. To casual Americans, Supes is the one and only living Kryptonian. To comic fans, there are Supes, Kara, Zod, Krytpo, etc.

Hell, if one day comic books show us that Batman's parents are still alive, the mythology will always be that they are dead. Comics go too far with everything from Jason Todd's resurrection to Wolverine being called immortal.

The basics are the heart of these characters and what follows is usually all about money.

also other kryptonins could compromise his connection to humanity

Well, I like it as they show it in the cartoon : Kal El and Brainiac. That's it. For Zod, he's in the phantom Zone and he is a great villain so I understand he could keep existing. And for Kara. I dislike the idea of another kryptonian but the cartoon made it that she was living on Argo, so I thought it could work. Nothing more. I think my vision of things is already too extended.

Brainiac's not from Krypton in the comics. He's from Colu, remember?

Anyway, I do rather like the element of Superman being the only survivor, but removing Zod and the Phantom Zone criminals takes away one of his most recognizable villains (and let's face it, all the ways they tried to do Post-Crisis Zod were kind of lame). I could probably do without Supergirl, though.​

I'll agree with that (I hate the post-Crisis Brainiac), but it's still not canon. But honestly, they've done so much retconning to the entire \S/-verse since COIE that I don't think anyone would notice.

in my opinon Zod is overrated and Supergirl is just a cheap female rip off of Superman

Its irrelevant where brainiac comes from, its where he's going. I mean they could bring batman's parents back, but it would have to make some god like story that makes it mythical. It would have to be better then sex with the finest women on earth on top of a pool of money.

i dunno, i kinda like Zod and Kara and Brainiac to keep exisiting.

although it can be argued that Kara is from another planet (Argos?) even if she shares the same kryptonian genetics as Kal-El. Zod exiled from the Krypton and no longer considered part of the Kryptonian race and Brainiac for the most part is a machine.

maybe we should keep it to those. as much as i like the stories about Kandor i did feel that it was a bit pushing it in terms of Superman being the last of his kind, sorta dulls the significance that he's the last of his kind from Krypton.

Supergirl was created to copyright the name before someone else did.

if they kill Zod or Supergirl, i'll be upset but not nearly as upset as i'll be if they retcon. again. why can't they just embrace their history and strive to make it work? that would make the story such much richer, if for a time, Superman WASN'T the last Son of Krypton, but then everyone else died, leaving him alone again. but since Supergirl is here, i think she should stay awhile, long enough to make an impact before killing her or making her leave -- like they did with Superboy.

I agree that it helps the story for Supes to be the only survivor, but sometimes I feel sorry for the big guy in blue. It would be nice for him to have someone to share his workload with.

I joined today! This is my second post.

This would be an entirely new take on the character, and understably not liked by all, but if I were writing Superman, I'd change whole universe up a little bit so that Superman has his powers only because he's the sole survivor of Krypton. The Kryptonian race would all share a kind of energy wavelength, almost a spiritual connection, so that when Krypton is destroyed, Kal-El inherets their sort of metaphysical energy, and it's activated by the yellow sun.

I just never liked the idea that Superman is so powerful only because he's from Krypton, or the idea of one race of people so much more powerful than all the rest, even if there's only one left. Basically, Kal-El and any other Kryptonian would be ordinary humanoid beings without superpowers if Krypton and its people hadn't been destroyed, even with the yellow sun. Again, I know a lot of people wouldn't go for that, but that's just me.

Also, one plothole that should definitely be fixed is exactly why Superman is the only surviving Kryptonian (or even if he's one of a handful) I mean, Krypton was supposed to have been one of the most advanced civilizations in the universe. I imagine if they were so advanced they would've explored the universe, and founded colonies on other planets. Realistically speaking, there should be Kryptonians scattered throughout the universe. But I don't like that either. They should just explain why seemingly no Kryptonians ever left Krypton at any point during their history.

Also, one plothole that should definitely be fixed is exactly why Superman is the only surviving Kryptonian (or even if he's one of a handful) I mean, Krypton was supposed to have been one of the most advanced civilizations in the universe. I imagine if they were so advanced they would've explored the universe, and founded colonies on other planets. Realistically speaking, there should be Kryptonians scattered throughout the universe. But I don't like that either. They should just explain why seemingly no Kryptonians ever left Krypton at any point during their history.
Byrne's Man of Steel did explain why there weren't any other Kryptonians, but since MOS is no longer the official origin, I don't know what DC's current reasoning is.

Byrne's Man of Steel did explain why there weren't any other Kryptonians, but since MOS is no longer the official origin, I don't know what DC's current reasoning is.

Oh I know. That's my point. Frankly, it pisses me off. Birthright doesn't compare to Man of Steel IMHO.

I never really liked Kara. Because it was sort of emphasised in SR the loneliness of Clark as the last of his race when he returned to Krypton to find nothing.

why weren't there any kryptonians?

The evolution of their technology over the years caused a lot of conflict. Long story short, and it ended with the entire civilization xenophobic, so no Kryptonians would even dream of leaving the planet. It had turned into a cold place without any emotional warmth. They had effectively destroyed their entire way of life long before the planet even exploded.

Jor-el, being the crazy sonuvab**ch that he was (by Kryptonian standards), thought more along the lines of you or I, showing the exceptionally good-hearted stalk that Superman comes from; but before he had a chance to try to change his world for the better... BOOM!

I prefer him to be the last survivor of Krypton. I could live with criminals in the Phantom Zone escaping, because they would've been in there at the time of the explosion, sparring their lives.

Supergirl, I could care less about. Especially the direction shes fallen in now. I don't like the giddy confused teenage girl angle they're running with now. Its just a way to have another "Super" person with the insignia on their chest to cash in, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"