Comics Should Superman be the sole survivor of Krypton?

Byrne's stuff was definitive and FOR ALL SEASONS was great, but as a bit of a purist, I will never understand the 2006 revamp. Smallville TV continuity should have stayed in TV.

Mark Waid messed with TOO MUCH continuity IMHO. Byrne changed it also, but he kept it classic!

IMO the one thing Crisis on Infinite Earths did right, without a doubt was to makr Kal-El the sole survivor of Krypton again. Then DC had to ruin it by reintroducing Kara Zor-El, Zod and several other kryptonians.

Last edited:
I really hope the Nolanverse Kal-El / Clark Kent / Superman is the sole survivor of Krypton.

IMO the one thing Crisis on Infinite Earths did right, without a doubt was to makr Kal-El the sole survivor of Krypton again. Then DC had to ruin it by reintroducing Kara Zor-El, Zod and several other kryptonians.

I can't speak for Kara (as she was better as a bio-matrix) but most of the rest are in the Phantom Zone and as such are not necessarily survivors of Krypton as it was destroyed after they were put there. Make Kara a bio-matrix (created in a lab) and there you go. Ol' Clarky boy is the sole survivor.

no; i think krypton's population was advanced enough for space travel...so there could've been a few other kryptonians off the planet when it was destroyed.
Yep

I think of it this way if the earth was destroyed {depending on how} there would still be some humans floating around out there

Wow, I have read a few issue were Kara wasn't Krptioian, she was part Angel and I want to shoot myself after reading them, heck the Supergirl flims was Better than all of those comics.

I do think Superman Should be the LAST SON OF KRPTON but that doesn't mean you have to cut Kara out.

I like her has the LAST DAUGHTER OF KRPTON, see doesn't cause any Probablems.

and I REALLY HATED the fact they Changed that when they did the whole story of NEW KRPTON, that really killed all the fun of Both Superman, and Supergirl for me.

But from my understanding Clark has never trutly been the last because of all the Prisioners that Jor-EL put in the Phantom Zone, like Zod.

Now if they changed Kara's Origin to match the one in Superman TAS, I would be content with that. Since that is what introduce me to Supergirl in the frist place. cause I alway thought superman was the last of his kind until then.

How about not having him be a natural-born Kryptonian?

Some fans keep going on about how his heart belongs to humanity despite his birth origins. Well, what if he was just a genetic experiment that got disposed of before Krypton blew up?

It can go like this: Jor-El and his Zor-El were both leading scientists. They wanted to push the boundaries of Kryptonian genetics. Under the yellow sun a normal Kryptonian is only invulnerable with super strength and speed. Zor-El, experimented on his daughter, Kara, giving her the extra powers. But Jor-El was appalled by his unethical conduct so decided to use a cloned baby based on his genes. Not even his wife knew what he was doing. Once he got the results he wanted he disposed of the baby into space in a capsule.

Moments after that, Krypton explodes. It accidentally diverts the capsule's trajectory towards Earth. There, the baby is adopted and raised by the Kents.

It would take years before Clark learns of his origins and decide to forsake his Kryptonian heritage and embrace the human race. However, debris from Krypton becomes a great threat to Earth. Kryptonite is very toxic and some have very dangerous mutative properties, like in the Smallville TV series. Left alone it could alter the ecology of the planet. Kryptonite isn't the only problem. Other debris are dormant artifacts of Krypton's terraforming systems - which is what Brainiac controlled. If they become active they can infect other technology and try to transform the area into Krypton's alien landscape. Some debris holds the personality of Brainiac, so Superman can never destroy him just once.

So the Fortress of Solitude is really a disposal site. First it neutralizes kryptonite into harmless rock. Second it contains Kryptonian artifacts to be later destroyed. Superman dedicates part of his life defending his adopted home from the threat of Krypton's debris.

1. So Superman is a clone of Jor-el, not his son.
2. His 'mother' doesn't even know he exists.
3. He wasn't saved. He was thrown away.

Not my cup of tea tbh.

And disposing of an experiment by shooting it off into space seems......... overcomplicated. Or is it just me?

1. So Superman is a clone of Jor-el, not his son.
2. His 'mother' doesn't even know he exists.
3. He wasn't saved. He was thrown away.

Not my cup of tea tbh.

And disposing of an experiment by shooting it off into space seems......... overcomplicated. Or is it just me?

Everything in Superman lore is complicated. At least this way there's no need to debate where his cultural loyalty should go to.

Everything in Superman lore is complicated. At least this way there's no need to debate where his cultural loyalty should go to.

what we need in modern comics, especially Superman, is uncomplicated, deconvolution in stories.

New ideas instead of hearkening back to the silver age.

Honestly, having Superman be a discarded experiment, touches heavily on the existing back story for Doomsday (who is not a native Kryptonian, but was a long forgotten experiment. At least back in the days of Hunter/Prey). That idea also reminds me some what, of Byrne's birthing matrix idea (thus allowing for Clark to be "born" on Earth).

Either way, I am not a fan of the idea. They just need to go back to the basics. Last son of Krypton. Came to America. Fights for truth, justice and the AMERICAN way (yeah, liberals will cry about the fact that Superman should be a symbol for all of humanity, but I say otherwise. He is an American icon). If Superman can be put back on that path, things will be all squared.

Superman, last Clone of Krypton :)

How about not having him be a natural-born Kryptonian?

Some fans keep going on about how his heart belongs to humanity despite his birth origins. Well, what if he was just a genetic experiment that got disposed of before Krypton blew up?

It can go like this: Jor-El and his Zor-El were both leading scientists. They wanted to push the boundaries of Kryptonian genetics. Under the yellow sun a normal Kryptonian is only invulnerable with super strength and speed. Zor-El, experimented on his daughter, Kara, giving her the extra powers. But Jor-El was appalled by his unethical conduct so decided to use a cloned baby based on his genes. Not even his wife knew what he was doing. Once he got the results he wanted he disposed of the baby into space in a capsule.

Moments after that, Krypton explodes. It accidentally diverts the capsule's trajectory towards Earth. There, the baby is adopted and raised by the Kents.

Changing for the sake of changing is an immature writing mentality.

It would take years before Clark learns of his origins and decide to forsake his Kryptonian heritage and embrace the human race.

He can reasonably "embrace the human race" while accepting his Kryptonian origins.

However, debris from Krypton becomes a great threat to Earth. Kryptonite is very toxic and some have very dangerous mutative properties, like in the Smallville TV series. Left alone it could alter the ecology of the planet. Kryptonite isn't the only problem. Other debris are dormant artifacts of Krypton's terraforming systems - which is what Brainiac controlled. If they become active they can infect other technology and try to transform the area into Krypton's alien landscape. Some debris holds the personality of Brainiac, so Superman can never destroy him just once.

Interesting.

So the Fortress of Solitude is really a disposal site. First it neutralizes kryptonite into harmless rock. Second it contains Kryptonian artifacts to be later destroyed. Superman dedicates part of his life defending his adopted home from the threat of Krypton's debris.

Have The Fortress of Solitude serve many purposes: museum of both earth and Kryptonian artifacts and flora/fauna, Superman's getaway, military base and alien technology "disposal site".

IMO the one thing John Byrne got right was making Kal-El the last Kryptonian again. Also IMO bringing Kara Zor-El, General Dru-Zod and all the other Kryptonians back was a huge mistake as well. IMO Kal-El / Clark Kent / Superman works best when he's the sole survivor of the doomed planet Krypton.

Just wondering, in your opinion should Kal-El/Superman be the sole survivor of the doomed planet Krypton in the film reboot?

Last edited:
Yes. He should. I believe Nolan and Co. will draw from his history, particularly his early history and the Byrne stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"