Should the books go to original numbering?

hippie_hunter

The King is Back!
Reaction score
Just what is the point of cancelling a book and relaunching it with a #1? If you ask me, doesn't a higher number usually indicate a company's confidence in a book and quality on the fact that it lasted so long?

Should books like Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Justice League of America, the Flash, etc. go back to their original numbering

Wonder Woman: 557
the Flash: 585
Green Lantern: 433
Aquaman: 204
Justice League of America: 630
Teen Titans: 305

Don't these numbers look better for the books and show that DC has high confidence in these books?

What marketing scheme will they use in place?

Normally, I'd say yes, but I'm so used to those titles getting new volumes every time that I'm not sure. How do you get to the 575 number for JLofA though? The previous volume only had 261 issues, and it'd be a mess to include JLI/JLE etc.

I voted yes because I think Wonder Woman should be re-numbered. She is part of the big three afterall, Bats and Supes have it. Kinda.

The rest I dunno.

Harlekin said:
Normally, I'd say yes, but I'm so used to those titles getting new volumes every time that I'm not sure. How do you get to the 575 number for JLofA though? The previous volume only had 261 issues, and it'd be a mess to include JLI/JLE etc.

I included

Justice League of America (vol. 1) - 261 issues
Justice League of America (vol. 2) - 3 issues
JLA - 125 issues
Justice League - 6 issues
Justice League International - 19 issues
Justice League America - 94 issues
Justice League Europe/Justice League International (vol. 2) - 67 issues
Justice League Task Force - 38 issues
Justice League Quarterly - 17 issues

Original numbering is alright, but I personally feel that WW is the only exception I would halfway want to see return to original numbering strictly because of her being one of DC's big "trinity" figures. The rest can stay at the numbering they are at as far as I am concerned.

As I said in the other thread, Wonder Woman should go back to her volume 2 numbering as that's the start of her continuity.

I sorta like a different volume for each Flash incarnation. Gives them a bit of separation, I think.

JLA, GL, and Aquman should go back to its original numbering, I'd say. Although, since it is a new guy, I wouldn't mind if Sword of Atlantis had a new numbering.

Teen Titans I could go either way on. With The New Teen Titans, and Titans, and Young Justice...it might be less confusing the way it is now.

But overall, yeah, I would prefer the original numberings.

Yes, and also each character should only have ONE title, and use that title for the "cream of the crop" as it were.

Comic Book Boy said:
Yes, and also each character should only have ONE title, and use that title for the "cream of the crop" as it were.

I would agree with you but Detective Comics and Action Comics have such high numbering that it would be stupid to cancel them. Also they were DC's first comics.

Asides from Batman/Detective Comics, Superman/Action Comics, and Green Lantern/Ion/Green Lantern Corps, I agree that each group of characters should only have one book.

The only change JLA needs is to go back to just having "JLA" as the title.

The Leaguer said:
The only change JLA needs is to go back to just having "JLA" as the title.

I think that the title should simply be Justice League.

JLA was a stupid name for a title.

In most cases, yes. But in the case of JLA vs. Justice League of America, no. It's a major relaunch of what's going on in the team. Superman vol. 1 and Superman vol. 2? Not much point to different numbering in that.

hippie_hunter said:
I included

Justice League of America (vol. 1) - 261 issues
Justice League of America (vol. 2) - 3 issues
JLA - 125 issues
Justice League - 6 issues
Justice League International - 19 issues
Justice League America - 94 issues
Justice League Europe/Justice League International (vol. 2) - 67 issues
Justice League Task Force - 38 issues
Justice League Quarterly - 17 issues
Some of those ran concurrently though. I don't think you can count that.

My opinion: If the title was COMPLETELY changed then no. If not yes. Justice League of America and JLA, yes. The various Titans series? No. NTT should be completely seperate from Titans.

droogiedroogie2 said:
In most cases, yes. But in the case of JLA vs. Justice League of America, no. It's a major relaunch of what's going on in the team. Superman vol. 1 and Superman vol. 2? Not much point to different numbering in that.
Superman's entire history was rebooted. :dry:

I said no. Here's the thing for me... DC can have all the #1's for all I care, as long as marvel keeps the ongoings ongoing. DC has pretty much f***ed it up for me to really want to get into many of their books because of all the "Crisis on so many earths this" or "Incident Crisis that." It's too confusing for me because the damn unverse keeps changing. I will never understand it, so it doesn't even matter to me very much. My point is that the orignal numbers wouldn't make sense, for me at least, becaue in some cases, the universe isn't the same. Each reboot should have its own book if they're gonna start anew and change everything.

CConn said:
Superman's entire history was rebooted. :dry:

Honestly, I think it would have made a great deal of sense for DC to have started "Adventures of Superman" with a #1, and kept Superman's original numbering (like Action Comics), rather than what we have with "Adventures of Superman" taking over "Superman Vol. 1"'s numbering following Byrne's relaunch of Superman with Vol. 2 #1, only to ultimately have the numbering for "Adventures of Superman" incorporated right back into the numbering of the Superman title years later.

But of course this is DC we're talking about.

COMICBOY said:
I said no. Here's the thing for me... DC can have all the #1's for all I care, as long as marvel keeps the ongoings ongoing. DC has pretty much f***ed it up for me to really want to get into many of their books because of all the "Crisis on so many earths this" or "Incident Crisis that." It's too confusing for me because the damn unverse keeps changing. I will never understand it, so it doesn't even matter to me very much. My point is that the orignal numbers wouldn't make sense, for me at least, becaue in some cases, the universe isn't the same. Each reboot should have its own book if they're gonna start anew and change everything.
It's definitely a lot better to just have everything changing all the time, without even a retcon punch. The retcon punch was dumb, but at least it was an explanation. Not like Marvel. That's not how we do 'er in Marvel territory. Nope, here at Marvel, we just ****in' change whatever we want, whenever we want, with no explanation, no good reason, just because the writer wanted to live out the fanboy fantasy he had when he was 12. At least DC makes an attempt to explain why things change.

And for the record, there was Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, and Infinite Crisis. Those changed the universe. Three. Wow. That's just too ****in' much, man. Man, it would have been so much better if they would have just left in all the unintended inconsistencies. Yep, way better. No need to clean up continuity. No sir. Let's just keep it messy.

Yet there was still a reason they HAD to change the universe... THREE TIMES. Because it became too messy to UNDERSTAND. Like I already said, It's very simple for me to pick up a marvel book and be like, "OK, so spider-man was bitten by an spider, and in the end, he got a clone." See there, although i'm like, "WTF?" I can go look it up with no problem. But NOOOO. If I pick up a superman book. "Superman is an alien who crashed into earth as a baby. Now, he protects our world." That's simple enough, let me look more up *La La La* "Earth 2 superman was the original superman..." already, i'm like "WTF? who the hell am i reading about then? and why the hell would earth 2 superman be earth 2 superman if he came first?" *I continue reading* "...Then the crisis happened, this person died (Examples: earth 2 wonder woman and many many years later, Earth 1 supergirl) but was brought back with the restart of the universe and their history being rewritten..."... Right there, RIGHT F***ING THERE, is the reason I will never read Vol. 1 of wonder woman, as to me it would be pointless. I'm not going to read stories of a character who doesn't exist, it doesn't matter to me. (BTW, I heard that earth 2 wonder woman kinda came back in the IC main series, which is funny because that's the one issue I couldn't find, so I ddidn't read it) also because of COIE I won't be reading about the original Superman and his family, as well as Batman and his family. There was a reason or few for the reboot. They wanted new fans to come in, but figured the history was way too much to deal with, so there's your big bang, that's were my universe started and wear MY numbering would and should start as well. Thank you.

In the case of GL, I think Kyle's run on the title should be separate.

Probably. Just separate it completely from Hal's run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"