Shyamalan's "Split" (James McAvoy)

My review

While I really enjoyed M. Night's last movie The Visit, Split is his return to form in a lot of ways. It's an excellent character study on James McAvoy's and Anya Taylor-Joy and that's what drives this movie. On the surface it may look like another abduction story, but there's more too it (and of course it is because it's by M. Night Shyamalan). Just like with The Visit, it's really well shot and directed. Almost every shot is unique and it adds to the story. James McAvoy was the clear star in this, he was able to act a complete different character in a matter of seconds. Anya Taylor-Joy was also great in this. The rest of the cast was decent enough, the other two girls weren't playing typical dumb victims you see in horror movies. And the actress that plays the psychologist did a great job on making James McAvoy's characters seem sympathetic. And as for the twist, it may seem forced in, but for me it made a lot of the story seem plausible and it was a surprise I didn't see coming at all. Overall, M. Night is really back and this is a great step forward.

9/10

This is continuing to do great, came in at first yesterday just under 8 mil, looking at a possible 25 million 3 day which is fantastic for its second week.

Give McAvoy an oscar please... thanks.

I loved this movie.
While Unbreakable was good, it was slow as ****. This movie isn't 'faster' but McAvoys performance is stunning. I didn't think of him so much as a person with SPD as I completely bought into them being different characters. Fantastic performance. I really hope Bruce, Sam, and James make a 'third' film together

Saw it today, as a fan of most of Shyamalan's movies and due to good reviews I just had to see it. Terribly disappointed, one of his worst movies imo. Greatly disappointed. I expected something under the surface, something that goes deeper than what we thought it is while watching the movie, but it was just simply what it was and the story wasnt either clever nor compelling nor pulling. 10 Cloverfield Lane was really, really good and takes the cake as far as abduction/basement movies

Saw it today, as a fan of most of Shyamalan's movies and due to good reviews I just had to see it. Terribly disappointed, one of his worst movies imo. Greatly disappointed. I expected something under the surface, something that goes deeper than what we thought it is while watching the movie, but it was just simply what it was and the story wasnt either clever nor compelling nor pulling. 10 Cloverfield Lane was really, really good and takes the cake as far as abduction/basement movies

Huh? Irrespective of whether you liked it, I don't know how you can definitively state this. By the end of the movie, it completely recontextualizes what's come before it. At its most basic, the film is not what was advertised or what you thought it was for most of its duration.

Huh? Irrespective of whether you liked it, I don't know how you can definitively state this. By the end of the movie, it completely recontextualizes what's come before it. At its most basic, the film is not what was advertised or what you thought it was for most of its duration.

Well, once fletcher hinted at
the supernatural quality of the disorder I already knew thats what its gonna be, its a very Shyamalan thing so in that regard there was no surprise whatsoever

Well, Shyamalan. You got me.

The only time I literally shouted, "Oh, ****" in a movie theater.

I hope with the third film Shyamalan includes Casey into the mix with the other "super" characters. If you view this film as a superhero/villain story you could read Casey's arc as being the possible birth of a hero, one who has experienced life-altering trauma just like the others and found a way to overcome the Beast and survive. The whole narrative with her character is that she isn't like the other girls who were taken. She was never supposed to be taken in the first place. And so it comes as no surprise she's the only one who makes it out. Perhaps her abilities have something to do with the hunting backstory, like she has advanced sense perception or something. Even her name, Casey Cooke, can allude to a future in superheroics ala David Dunn in Unbreakable.

I hope with the third film Shyamalan includes Casey into the mix with the other "super" characters. If you view this film as a superhero/villain story you could read Casey's arc as being the possible birth of a hero, one who has experienced life-altering trauma just like the others and found a way to overcome the Beast and survive. The whole narrative with her character is that she isn't like the other girls who were taken. She was never supposed to be taken in the first place. And so it comes as no surprise she's the only one who makes it out. Perhaps her abilities have something to do with the hunting backstory, like she has advanced sense perception or something. Even her name, Casey Cooke, can allude to a future in superheroics ala David Dunn in Unbreakable.

I cannot imagine Casey
not being in 3rd movie
. That right there is the real Beauty and the Beast story not that CGI Goat and Emma Woodson adventures

Oh and there's more
in Unbreakable a woman and a child pass Willis and he 'detects' child abuse. It's most likely Kevin and her mother

When did that happen?
I've just looked through that scene where he has multiple visions, I didn't see any of child abuse.

When did that happen?
I've just looked through that scene where he has multiple visions, I didn't see any of child abuse.

At the football stadium towards the end. I'm not sure if it was child abuse though. It's been a while.

Oh yeah, I know the scene now.
Ya don't actually see anything, ya just hear the kid yelling.

I finally saw this yesterday. It was a solid film with one of the best twists I've ever seen. It was jarring that the Beast [blackout]actually existed and had supernatural powers[/blackout] until the last 10 seconds. I literally was in awe because you could have given me 100 years to predict that and I would have never guessed it. Shyamalan is back.

I hadn't seen [blackout]Unbreakable[/blackout] in years so I did not realize the [blackout]leitmotif[/blackout] was playing multiple times in the last 30 minutes of the film. That must have been a real treat to fans who recognized it.

Last edited:
Shyamalan’s Split Tops Rings for Third Straight Box Office Win
M. Night Shyamalan’s Split (Universal Pictures) topped the box office for a third straight weekend, adding $14.6 million for a domestic total of $98.7 million. This marks the first Universal film since 2015’s Straight Outta Compton to hold the No. 1 position for three consecutive weekends, and Shyamalan’s second film to do so since 1999’s The Sixth Sense. Internationally, Split also grossed $14.6 million to bring its overseas total to $44 million and worldwide total to $142.7 million. As with 2015’s breakout hit The Visit — the most successful horror film of that year — writer/director/producer Shyamalan again teamed with Jason Blum and his Blumhouse Productions, following the same low-budget model to provide Shyamalan creative filmmaking freedom. Made for just $9 million, Split stars James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy, Betty Buckley, Jessica Sula, and Haley Lu Richardson.
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...d-straight-box-office-win#Z7k4xSZ2UzsBJrXV.99

I guess people won't be laughing when his name is attached to a trailer anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"