Siegel & Shuster vs WB: Superman and Infinite Crisis - Part 1

Superman v. Hitler and the Nazis :hrt:

I think Time Warner should just settle out of court.

Better for them to part with 10-20 million per family than to give the entire character away.

Just give them 10 million and a 10% share and everybody will be happy.

Better for them to part with 10-20 million per family than to give the entire character away.

If WB/DC are changing Superman's look in the comics just to avoid paying out some money, that's the lowest of the low. Screw over the die hard fans and screw over Siegel and Shuster's heirs. The Lawyer I couldn't give a crap about, as he's using the families to feather his own nest. Will they have to change the planet he's from? Also Metropolis and Lois Lane are pre DC iirc. so they'd need to lose that. What about his name SUPERMAN. Will they lose that?

It's curious that Lee and co have only changed the boots, the Neckline and the belt/trunks. Stuff that can be traced to S&S. WB/DC own the Logo, Kryptonite, Faster than a speeding bullet, Flying and a bunch of other stuff. They could argue that Zorro had a cape before Superman, so S&S's Lawyer likely can't stop them from using that. Smells fishy to me. Reboot all of the characters along with Superman, so that you can pretend like it's not being done simply to stiff Siegel and Shuster's families. Are WB/DC this conniving or is it pure coincidence that they are adjusting the last vestiges of S&S's intellectual property.

Maybe they would but this lawyer representing S & S's heirs has bigger ideas and a lot more money in mind.

Just give them 10 million and a 10% share and everybody will be happy.

Not really...the families are just about all but dead, and this skeezy lawyer that represents the family wants 45% of the Superman franchise if I heard correct. WB/DC won't let that happen...not in a million years

Marc Toberoff's appeal got shot down today, according to TOLDJA.

Translation: those spicy documents showing he was trying to actively control the Superman property aren't getting thrown out.

Gotta say some of TOLDJA's claims on how fandom stands on this are insane.

I love how they paint WB/DC as monsters in that article and Toberoff gets a free pass. Then they try to make out like all fans are solidly behind the heirs, and are weary of the film reboot.

What a load of BS.

Marc Toberoff's appeal got shot down today, according to TOLDJA.

Translation: those spicy documents showing he was trying to actively control the Superman property aren't getting thrown out.

Gotta say some of TOLDJA's claims on how fandom stands on this are insane.

I couldn't believe what I was reading from her piece there. When it comes to legal cases there are two sides so I'm not so inclined to just side with the heirs. Second, they probably could have settled but depending on how Toberoff is he may not be going for just a settlement and depending on what is on these documents they may very well show what his intentions are. If he has stopped acting in the best interest of his clients and is looking out for the biggest cut, if you ask me thats monstorous for. I don't agree with the way she went off on WB that way when most of us at best have a superficial understanding of the case. Ultimately you also have to look at the cost benefit if they give the rights back, they may have single handedly put hundreds of people that work for dc out of a job, so is that any better.

Last edited:
Nikki Finke should be ashamed of herself for the way she portrays Marc Toberoff.

^Agreed. This isn't even about the heirs' rights anymore. From what I've been hearing, if it wasn't for Toberoff WB would have cut the heirs a giant check and renegotiated their percentage and been done with it long ago. It's Toberoff who's dragging this out because HE wants to get big bucks from the property. He's just out for himself from what I can see. Granted, I'm not directly involved so I don't have all the info, but that's the impression that I get from all of this.

Nikki Finke is getting a paycheque from Toberoff.

The heirs need to dump Toberoff and come to an agreement. I mean your lawyer taking almost 50% is pretty sleazy. His intentions are clear now.

I think these lawsuits are ridiculous. Shuster and Siegel sold the rights and the heirs should have no claim. DC/Warner might not be the most ethical company but Superman belongs to them. They are the ones who made Superman the cultural icon that he is today.

Nikki Finke is getting a paycheque from Toberoff.

The heirs need to dump Toberoff and come to an agreement. I mean your lawyer taking almost 50% is pretty sleazy. His intentions are clear now.

Well the fact that he's doing the work on a contingent basis isn't sleazy, its more the fact that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the stolen documents may show what they plan to do if they win the rights back and how he is going to be getting a large part of them. I find it hard to believe WB hasn't offered some sort of settlement but those things aren't released. This will be a landmark case though.

Toberoff will get what is coming to him I'm sure...and it AIN'T Superman!

I think DC should offer the estates offers that they can't refuse. Maybe something like 2% of gross of every TV/Movie/Video Game/Merchandise for the next fifteen years, the continuation of recognizing the creators in all media, and 1 million annually for 10 years if the estates sell their portions of Superman to Warner. It'd be costly but it should solve, if not all, of DC problems.

Something needs to be agreed to quick that doesn't involve Marc Toberoff the sleaze bag

Well the fact that he's doing the work on a contingent basis isn't sleazy, its more the fact that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the stolen documents may show what they plan to do if they win the rights back and how he is going to be getting a large part of them. I find it hard to believe WB hasn't offered some sort of settlement but those things aren't released. This will be a landmark case though.

Toberoff doesn't want to settle, WB is perfectly willing to settle with the Siegels and Schuster estate, but WB will never offer a settlement that gives Toberoff a piece of the pie. This is Toberoff protecting his own interests, not his clients.

Toberoff also made deals with the Siegels and Schuster estate for them not to deal with WB independently without him. Even if WB went up to them, they aren't going to listen to WB. Again, Toberoff is protecting HIS interests.

And the last time I checked, a lawyer is supposed to defend the interests of their clients, not their own.

Toberoff doesn't want to settle, WB is perfectly willing to settle with the Siegels and Schuster estate, but WB will never offer a settlement that gives Toberoff a piece of the pie. This is Toberoff protecting his own interests, not his clients.

Toberoff also made deals with the Siegels and Schuster estate for them not to deal with WB independently without him. Even if WB went up to them, they aren't going to listen to WB. Again, Toberoff is protecting HIS interests.

And the last time I checked, a lawyer is supposed to defend the interests of their clients, not their own.

a good lawyer yes...a rat faced bastard, no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"