Silent Hill 2(PS2 version)

Spidey17

Sidekick
Reaction score
I'd like to start out and say HOLY HELL!!!!!!!! This game is ****ing awesome!!! Even though it's remarkably similar to RE2 in gameplay(which I couldn't get into because of the archaic gameplay, but wil now hunt down because SH2 made me want to give it a 2nd try), I can't keep thinking that this game is the ****, even though it's like over 7 yrs old. It does have movement while aiming(I think, I'm only an hour in, and the enemies don't even move fast enough for me to try, I'm just assuming cuz you can move with the plank at the ready), and you can strafe, but otherwise RE2 and SH2 are identical(also, I don't think you can reload in RE2s inventory, but I coud be wrong about that too)

First off, I'd like to know what everyone thought about the game, but no spoilers past the first Pyramid Head cutscene.

Second, I have a couple questions to start:
1) How do you stomp on enemies? Is it contextual, or do you have to be unequipped? Cuz the downard smash(which I can only do when i hit x once I'm near a downed enemy, but i read if you jam x that does it too) doesn't take out downed enemies in one hit, but I read stomping does. Haven't gotten James to stomp once yet.

2) Does anyone use the handgun for basic enemies? Because I eventually counted and realized spitters(don't know about mannequins) need a whopping 6 bullets to stay down.

3) Does block work on spitters or mannequins(i'm only an hour in, so don't let me know about anything past that)?

4) If I'm in love with this game, should I find SH1?

5) If 4 is a yes, should I try to find RE1 too? Or just get a GC so I can get REmake, Eternal Darkness, and Ocarina of Time?

I might just hold off on my urge to try RE1-3, because besides the less restrictive combat, SH is more about psychological scares than the boo! stuff or RE. I love RE4 with a passion, but I think I'll enjoy SH3 more. I'm already frothing at the mouth to play that game.:woot: What do y'all think about that? Is it easy for horror gamers to love both?

P.S. I had to pay $30 for this game because the first time I lost the receipt and then found out that the game was scratched up like a little kid went to work on it with scissors(which I guess is karma, cuz I once sold gamestop a glitchy God of War disc), then had to get it again. How long is this game anyways? Cuz if the rest of the game is as awesome as the 1st hour, this was totally ****ing worth it.

I pick this up about twice a year and try to get into it... I just cant. It's so BORING! You know what they shoulda called this?
"Wandering Around: The Game"

Meh, i found it to be very immersive. To each his own.

Silent Hill 2 is brilliant. By far and away the best horror game I've ever played.

Its been a while since I played, so I can't comment on the technical aspects, but its the only real game of this genre to really step up into something more IMO. The whole concept of the game [blackout]being themed around the latent subconscious of the avatar is superb, and more than a little f*****d up[/blackout].

Its such a shame that the film and subsequent sequels forgot this and ****ed out the then irrelevant concepts that shouldn't have applied to those installments.

Which SH do you think comes in 2nd, AJR?

And after playing for awhile, I found out kicking is without readying a weapon, and that you can move around whilst aiming(still have no idea why RE1-5+CV can't add that).

Also, fighting Pyramid Head sucks balls. I timed the fight(I was killed the first time I got hit and then commited suicide, the 2nd he canged his overhead blow so it got me on the way by, and the 3rd I was rewarded with my craftiness at charging his flank by being chocked to death) when I won and it was 3 min 30 secs of constant dodging. Hard mode better not make you wait more than 6 min.

3 hrs in, the games even better than the 1st hour. Maria is a pretty cool tagalong, you don't have to worry as much as with that dumb president's daughter. Also, the steel pipe is ok, but I don't like the jab animation to much. The shotgun is impressive, but after wasting most of the shells and killing Maria I turned the game off. Next time I play, the only ranged gun I'll use is the handgun, I have the feeling the shotgun will be useful in the long run.

Last edited:

And after playing for awhile, I found out kicking is without readying a weapon, and that you can move around whilst aiming(still have no idea why RE1-5+CV can't add that).

Also, fighting Pyramid Head sucks balls. I timed the fight(I was killed the first time I got hit and then commited suicide, the 2nd he canged his overhead blow so it got me on the way by, and the 3rd I was rewarded with my craftiness at charging his flank by being chocked to death) when I won and it was 3 min 30 secs of constant dodging. Hard mode better not make you wait more than 6 min.

3 hrs in, the games even better than the 1st hour. Maria is a pretty cool tagalong, you don't have to worry as much as with that dumb president's daughter. Also, the steel pipe is ok, but I don't like the jab animation to much. The shotgun is impressive, but after wasting most of the shells and killing Maria I turned the game off. Next time I play, the only ranged gun I'll use is the handgun, I have the feeling the shotgun will be useful in the long run.

Because they dont want to.

I havent played a SH in a long time, i started 2 but never got very far with it. Id like to try Home Coming at some point.

I'm going to have to say the first one, although I haven't played the latest one or the PSP version either.

Overall I preferred the RE series, although of all the games in this genre I've played, SH2 comes way out on top for me then RE2.

Because they dont want to.

I havent played a SH in a long time, i started 2 but never got very far with it. Id like to try Home Coming at some point.

Meh, there has got to be a better reason than that. Oh well, when RE is in virtual reality, I better be able to walk and shoot if I feel like it!!!:cmad::cmad::cmad::woot:

I heard Homecoming was ok, if you get it tell me what you think. And SH2 is awesome, I just wish there were 4 guns, an assualt rifle would be sweetness. And I haven't gotten to the rifle yet, but the shotgun is badass. This is one game I'll have to replay immediately, so as to experience the chainsaw.:hehe:

Meh, there has got to be a better reason than that. Oh well, when RE is in virtual reality, I better be able to walk and shoot if I feel like it!!!:cmad::cmad::cmad::woot:

I heard Homecoming was ok, if you get it tell me what you think. And SH2 is awesome, I just wish there were 4 guns, an assualt rifle would be sweetness. And I haven't gotten to the rifle yet, but the shotgun is badass. This is one game I'll have to replay immediately, so as to experience the chainsaw.:hehe:

Yea iv heard the same about Home Coming altho I think most said that because they felt the series had grown stale. Ill play it at some point, itll be a while with SFIV, RE5, Riddick, KZ2,Halo Wars, GB, B:AA etc all coming out in the coming months.

I couldnt get into SH2 bc of the controls

What about it didn't you like? And I'm assuming you liked RE2s controls, or at least tolerated them.:cwink:
I cant remember bc it was so long ago. I know that I did try it years after release. By that time Ive played so many other games that SH2's controls felt archaic

Oh ok. It feels archaic to me too, but the overall atmosphere is just too awesome for the controls to bring it down.

And I just got to the part where Eddy acted all crazy, talking about he killed a dog and ****, then walked off. How far am I? I have the 3 tablets, but I saved before i use them.

Ah yes, Silent Hill 2, quite possibly one of my favorite video games. Now I've been a fan since the original Silent Hill was released, and I've been hooked ever since. I feel that Silent Hill 1-3 are the strongest of the series, while I am conflicted on SH 4. The same goes for Origins as well, but I found Homecoming to be a great entry.

As for Silent Hill 2;

I feel that it was driven strongly on character development, and I found the plot pulled me in. Personally, to me, I feel that Silent Hill 2 is more of an experience then a game. I don't know how to properly express myself, or if I'm making myself clear, but that's just the way I feel about it. The atmosphere was incredibly ominous as me and James wandered through the creepy town of Silent Hill with disturbing monsters around every corner. As for the controls, I have absolutely no issue with them, when I'm playing the game, I find it be very fluid. Also, I enjoyed the game play, the design of the game, the music was wonderful as well.

As for your questions;

1) How do you stomp on enemies? Is it contextual, or do you have to be unequipped? Cuz the downard smash(which I can only do when i hit x once I'm near a downed enemy, but i read if you jam x that does it too) doesn't take out downed enemies in one hit, but I read stomping does. Haven't gotten James to stomp once yet.

- Just press X to kick/stomp a downed monster.

2) Does anyone use the handgun for basic enemies? Because I eventually counted and realized spitters(don't know about mannequins) need a whopping 6 bullets to stay down.

- The best thing to do is shoot the monster until it falls to the ground and quickly run up to and stomp it. That puts them down, and saves ammunition. Usually, if I encounter monsters outside in the street's, I'll just avoid them the best I can to conserve ammo. If I have enough ammunition, I'll equip the handgun to take out the basic monsters as mentioned. I'll use the shotgun on more deadlier enemies, and I save the hunting rifle for "boss" encounters. Otherwise I'll stick to melee weapons, I find the steel pipe to be quite useful.

3) Does block work on spitters or mannequins(i'm only an hour in, so don't let me know about anything past that)?

I don't think block will work on an acid spray from the so called patient demons, I usually keep my distance from them, so I can't say for sure. As for Mannequins, it should work. I haven't played SH2 for awhile, so I might be a bit rusty.

4) If I'm in love with this game, should I find SH1?

Yes, definitely!

5) If 4 is a yes, should I try to find RE1 too? Or just get a GC so I can get REmake, Eternal Darkness, and Ocarina of Time?

Well, the choice is totally yours on this. I highly recommend Resident Evil 1. But, IMO, you should really play through the REmake, I guarentee you will have a blast. It's quite possibly one of the best Resident Evil (Well since it's pretty much is RE1, only updated). I can't comment on the other games, as I have never played them.

Last edited:
Thanks, Arcturus, you're a badass. I found out about the stomps, but thanks anyways. And I also found the controls to be more than decent. Don't flame me, but I used the 2D controls, I'm way more comfortable. And the combat is ok, but it was a little old school. It was hard enough finding SH2, SH1 will be a nightmare.

And I'm glad to hear you liked Homecoming. Care to elaborate, so I can use that game for an arguement that's been off and on in the RE threads forever, about moving and shooting ruining the tension. Hope you don't make me look like a fool and say you hated that part.

I just
Fought the crazy chick's dad and Eddie, and those boss fights were incredibly simple, but the cutscenes were simply briliant. I love a single of the dialogue. The overall story might not make sense, but the characters are realized perfectly. I'd have to put Angela above Eddie, cuz he was, to dumb it down, just a fat kid who snapped. I'm very curious as to what happens with Angela the next time we meet.

Thanks, Arcturus, you're a badass. I found out about the stomps, but thanks anyways. And I also found the controls to be more than decent. Don't flame me, but I used the 2D controls, I'm way more comfortable. And the combat is ok, but it was a little old school. It was hard enough finding SH2, SH1 will be a nightmare.

And I'm glad to hear you liked Homecoming. Care to elaborate, so I can use that game for an arguement that's been off and on in the RE threads forever, about moving and shooting ruining the tension. Hope you don't make me look like a fool and say you hated that part.

I normally use the 3d control setting, but every now and then I'll change it to 2d for the heck of it. Whichever setting works the best for you, stick with it. As for the combat, many survival horror games were like that. It's much better today, especially in the case of Homecoming.

I enjoyed Homecoming, it's not as good as the earlier entries in the series, but it's still a nice little game. I found the combat system to be rather intense and a welcome change to the series, it took a little getting used to but it becomes second nature when you get used to it. Again, the game design and the plot are wonderful and the monsters are truly disturbing, IMO.

Now as for being able to move when you're aiming and shooting, if I remember correctly it's been in the series since the original Silent Hill. IMO, where I stand on this, I find it a nice feature, and it's just as useful. But there is a price for moving, you'll lose accuracy if you are moving and firing a weapon. Yeah, in Resident Evil, sure there is tension when you have to be stationary to attack, but I prefer other method. And I don't think it loses any tension, either. I clearly recall the fear I felt when I was being attacked by monsters, being able to move didn't make me feel any more safe! And this was especially noticeable in the cramped corridors and rooms in both the apartment buildings and the prison. Essentially it comes down to a matter of opinion, really, normally I just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I just
Fought the crazy chick's dad and Eddie, and those boss fights were incredibly simple, but the cutscenes were simply briliant. I love a single of the dialogue. The overall story might not make sense, but the characters are realized perfectly. I'd have to put Angela above Eddie, cuz he was, to dumb it down, just a fat kid who snapped. I'm very curious as to what happens with Angela the next time we meet.

Ah yes, the plot of Silent Hill 2 is rather complex (Just as the rest of the series). And you may not understand it right away, but I'm certain once you see the ending, things will make sense to you. Whichever ending you get, depending on a few certain actions throughout the game. And don't forget, there is a lot of replay value with Silent Hill 2. There are various endings, special weapons etc.

In fact, I think I'm going to dust off my copy of Silent Hill 2 and visit that foggy town once more.

Just beat the game in 8 or so hours, kind of dissapointed cuz I read it was 10-15. I did use FAQS because I felt like not running around pointlessly, but for the most part I didn't read how to beat the bosses or puzzles, just how to go so i wouldn't pass up ammo or weapons or health items.
I truly loved the end boss battles. From Angela's father to Eddie(one sick guy loved his dialogue) to double PH, and the creepiest final boss EVER(RE4s final boss can't hold a candle to Maria), the game was ****tastic, which is a major feat for being so old. I aready started it over, and the chainsaw rocks. It needs to be woundup, so I don't know how long I'll use it.

I can't get over the fact how awesome this game is, the atmosphere is classic, and the controls aren't nearly as clunky as I assumed they'd be, with all the *****ing I'd read over the years. My new fav horror game, though RE4 hardly counts, since it's just an action game with horror elements. Can't wait to find 1 and 3, hell, even 4. And Homecoming, when I get a PS3.

****ing lame, I could find the chainsaw on my 2nd playthrough, but not the hyperspray.
:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"