Superman Returns Singer Interview: Editing Returns & Sequel

Why does Singer keep saying the Superman Returns is huge overseas? And why do the interviewers keep asking him that stupid question?

The fact of the matter is, Superman Returns is not doing great numbers overseas. Baring some huge openings (and legs) in japan and Germany the movie is a bust overseas too.

Yes you heard it hear Singer and WB; your Superman movie has "not" done huge numbers overseas. It has 155mil and will probably gross less than half of what Pirates did in both Germany and Japan. The is not a Harry Potter nor Ice age 2 seniro, it will not vastly outgross it's U.S total.

These are the internation grosses that Superman Returns has no (or very little) chance of beating.

The Da Vinci Code: 532.7mil
Pirates 2: 463.7mil (on it's way to outgrossing Code BTW)
Ice Age 2: 449.9mil
MI3 252.5mil

Hell it will probably be lower than that when all is said and done. Cars still hasn't been released everywhere and neither has X3 and one or three end of the year movies will hit it big.

The way the fans, WB and Singer talk about the movie's international boxoffice you would think that it was competeing for the top spot.

It's overseas boxoffice look almost as lackluster as the domestic numbers.

super-bats said:
i agree raybia.....

I mean.....all of the other superheros in our current movies are getting ( or have gotten ) origin movies. X-men, Spiderman, Daredevil, Hulk, Fantastic Four.....and I'm sure Iron Man, ghost Rider, and even Ant Man are going to be origin movies......heck even Catwoman got an origin movie........

Batman, a superhero that did have an established cinematic past, got a RESTART.....essentially an origin movie.....

So....why....while all the other heros are getting origin/restart movies.....does Superman NOT GET ONE!!!?? That's not fair!!

Right. I know that Singer wasn't interested in an orgin movie. That was the perfect reason to not hire him. Just look at all the Superhero movie getting made...they all have origin movies. Those that weren't successfully had nothing to do with the fact that is was an origin story...it was because of other factors (mainly the script and direction sucked).

WB could have made a new Superman movie that opens up with him already established as the man of steel in Metropolis a year after coming to the city.

Events in the plot could require a flashback (ala Beings) of both his origin as well as his first appearance in Metropolis (without the costume.)

I'm not happy with Singer because he won't put the scene of Krypton on DVD. That is why I'm not happy. =|

super-bats said:
well.....wasn't Superman's return to Krypton's remains the whole point behind his leaving everyone for 5+ years? And, we didn't even get to see this on screen!!! We didn't even get to see where Superman RETURNED from........and now we're not even going to see this on DVD......bah!

When Clark tells his mom that the place is a graveyard.....it would have had much more weight if we actually SAW said graveyard.............

oh.....and no.....I really wish we don't a get a Singer sequel to SR.....he messed up the characters so much.........
i agree. and tthats when i read this i started to think if i am in a bad dream. because it didnt make sense. he cuts out the return of krypton because he says that it doesnt fit the movie. young clark running did fit it?some people dont know but the flashbacks of young clark were having a deeper meaning in the originl cut. what i saw in the theater was without a purpose. he just remembers how he run in the cornfield. i think that having the return to krypton would be more important than having young clark runing. yes i know that it was longer than the runing. but this says something about singer. singer is not capable to talk in interviews. sometimes he looks to me like an idiot. but thats just me. he can make a good movie but hes answers are idiotic.

wasnt this movie about the return? there are two options.
A) WB told singer to cut the movie. singer is desperate and doesnt knwo what to cut. he f.... up the movie in the editing room.
B) singer wanted to cut all this scenes.:(

Thanks Showtime, good interview.:up:
I disagree with Singer about the cutting of the return to krypton sequence. Whats the point in waiting a year for a re-release which most likely won't happen?:mad: Get real and release the damned thing on a extended dvd Bryan.

I feel he should have kept and those subplots in the film.Would have given it more depth.

P.S: Some folks here seem to have some serious vendetta against Singer.Every and anything he says makes him arrogant, self-obsessed or whatever.:o :down

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Not many film makers will admit to something like that, you ever hear Ratner admitting X3 was ****, or Tim Story, or Joel Schumacker or Rob Bowman, NO, it doesnt happen.
Rob Bowman was talking about his idea for Elektra 2 even after it tanked.

Retroman said:
I disagree with Singer about the cutting of the return to krypton sequence. Whats the point in waiting a year for a re-release which most likely won't happen?:mad: Get real and release the damned thing on a extended dvd Bryan.

Amen. :up:

umm.....isn't thant kind of Selfish???

I mean....Singer feels like the Krypton scene wouldn't "fit" with the movie ( even though it is central to the story......after all, it's the reason superman left in the first place!!! ).......

but isn't that what Deleted Scenes are for on the DVD??? To show us scenes that were cut out because they didn't "fit" with the movie.....but still giving us the pleasure to see those scenes???

Yeah, it was all right.

I think Singer needs to stop talking to people. Everyone.

He's become kinda like A-Rod here in New York. Everything can and will be used against him.

Oh yeah, he could say, "I'm not going to do the Superman sequel" and people here would be like, "Oh, so he ****s up the characters and just leaves them there to be fixed by someone else! What a dbag! What a jerk! God, coward!"

He cannot win against these people. It's a fan-propagated Catch-22 that extends to some people's view of the movie -- Singer could never win against this rabidly insane, irrational fans.

well bosef982......I think it's a bit of a stretch and insult to label everyone who didn't like the movie as insane, irrational fans........

Just because someone doesn't care for SR and the vision that Singer presented......doesn't make that person insane or irrational.........

Now.....there are HATERS out there.......who'll HATE the movie NO MATTER WHAT......even BEFORE seeing the movie or giving it a chance......

but....there are people ( "fans" ) like me and others here......who kept an open mind and went to see the film to make their own decisions........and then once we saw the film.....we decided that we didn't like it.......

that doesn't make us insane or irrational.........

I'm talking about the type of fans who all get mob-mentality at the mention of the word "rape" and ride off with it screaming how Singer condones rape, and Superman's a rapist, and just move on and on and on...

It's ridiculously pathetic and plain disgusting. The fact that rape is even considered as applicable by some is flippin' moronic. More and more, these boards are becoming the total cesspools that many forum boards become, a bunch of ignorant colons speaking with no consideration about what some issues such as rape mean to others.

It's appalling.

well....i'm not going as far to call Supes a rapist......but I will call his behavior deceptive, immoral, and irresponsible.........

bosef982 said:
I'm talking about the type of fans who all get mob-mentality at the mention of the word "rape" and ride off with it screaming how Singer condones rape, and Superman's a rapist, and just move on and on and on...

It's ridiculously pathetic and plain disgusting. The fact that rape is even considered as applicable by some is flippin' moronic. More and more, these boards are becoming the total cesspools that many forum boards become, a bunch of ignorant colons speaking with no consideration about what some issues such as rape mean to others.

It's appalling.

AAhhh, the beauty of anonimity...a lot of people sure can dish it out here, but if they were in Bryan's shoes, I doubt they'd be able to take it the way he has, because I'm sure he's heard a lot of these complaints and vile words through the grapevine. Even so, I really am displeased that he seems to be choosing not to show us Kal's return to Krypton. and I wish the Luthor subplot was in the movie, it just seems to integral to the method behind his madness.

Still, some people need to just analyze things with a little less hostility...but then again, this is a message board based on dudes in bright tights, so...

super-bats said:
well bosef982......I think it's a bit of a stretch and insult to label everyone who didn't like the movie as insane, irrational fans........

Just because someone doesn't care for SR and the vision that Singer presented......doesn't make that person insane or irrational.........

Now.....there are HATERS out there.......who'll HATE the movie NO MATTER WHAT......even BEFORE seeing the movie or giving it a chance......

but....there are people ( "fans" ) like me and others here......who kept an open mind and went to see the film to make their own decisions........and then once we saw the film.....we decided that we didn't like it.......

that doesn't make us insane or irrational.........

Sometimes I think it's ok to label, other times not... Me and bosef, for instance, went into the x3 boards together as members of the "screw X3" squad and did our best to bring that movie down by arguing all the time about how cyclops dying ruined it etc. Really, honestly, though... I think It's not about the film. I don't know how he sees it, but I think It's about who we think is king of the world, and we think, or I thought, Singer is. He's god, X2 was brilliant. But I decided after seeing Stalkerman Returns that he wasn't king of the world anymore and just a donner fan trying to copy his idol instead of bringing superman into the new millenium closer to his comic roots like Nolan did with batman yunno, which was a decent first outing. That's where my friend and I found some disagreement. He thought singer's vision was perfect, I thought the kid was perfect, but the rest was needing a re-write (Young clark wearing glasses? This is stupid) and our relationship deteriorated from there. We both still think x3 sucked though so we're not completely disagreeing of course but well that's how it works. When in doubt, throw out labels. Anyone who likes x3, I think we called them gushers or something like that. I don't remember exactly. well anyway I don't think this case warrants labelling people insane. I liked a lot about returns, Jason's first scene, Jason banging into doors with a trash can on his head, Jason throwing a piano, Jason sleeping. But a lot of things sucked, like the artsy bits and the hackman lex homage or whatever people want to call it... it felt too hackish and like it was trying too hard to imitate donner's version of the character, quite a waste I say. Quite a waste. Because routh, you can just tell has it in him to do his own thing without trying to be like reeve and he'd do very well. Just be like superman. Where was I... well you can like it and not like it and still be sane, yes. That's what I'm saying.

It was a good interview, Singar seems to be happy with the movie and people are generally happy with it to. I liked it, but felt more aspects from the comics could have given superman world more lively. I would like singar and his writers to do more research on superman and his characters for a possible sequel. I think characters and things like Maggie sawer,Dan Turpin,Proffessor Hamilton, Intergang,Star Labs, and Lana Lang should atleast be mentioned or have cameos [or bigger roles] in a future sequel.

Singar just needs to try and learn more about superman and his characters. Returns was pretty good, but it felt devoid of the the above mentioned supporting characters. also on a side not, Clark kent needs alittle bit more life to him. Clark doesn't have to be as cool as Dean cain version, but make the guy come off as a regular human being. Show what clark does in his apartment for a few seconds, show where he keeps his numerous superman cotumes in his closet. Show him eating breakfast while listening for disaters on the news, just make the character exccesible to the viewers. Things like that add a certain cool factor IMO. Made for movie characters should be scaratced out completley [save for Richard, as h is needed] they could easily be replaced with comic characters, who are suprerior in depth and coolness.

Wolzard said:
I'm not happy with Singer because he won't put the scene of Krypton on DVD. That is why I'm not happy. =|

Just think of the MILLIONS the WB spent on a scene which will never be seen by ANYONE!
More reason for the WB never to let Singer touch a Superman movie...

What a HACK! :down:o

Retroman said:

I feel he should have kept and those subplots in the film.Would have given it more depth.

P.S: Some folks here seem to have some serious vendetta against Singer.Every and anything he says makes him arrogant, self-obsessed or whatever.:o :down

I have a feeling they will release it in IMAX. 20 Million plus just on IMAX....this Krypton scene has some serious potential.

Now for the first time in history, a full 3D feature length experience...Superman Returns...Returns. With never before seen footage of Superman's voyage to Krypton, Smallville, and scenes with Ben Hubbard.

sevinw0rds said:
Still, some people need to just analyze things with a little less hostility...but then again, this is a message board based on dudes in bright tights, so...

Hey it's not that bad. At least someone didn't post a pic like this...
2006supermanreturns0157jw2.jpg

Considering what reaction Ang Lee got and what's brewing over in the dc forum with news of Jack Black's green lantern, I think Singer's getting it too easy. I view this mediocre return of supes as a tragedy but here I am again just like I was after Episode 1 came out. I say the movie sucks, and there's always some who say it's brilliant, and around and around we go!!:confused:

2298.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"