Sly and Arnie enter The Tomb

Can't wait for the teaser trailer!

Arnie looks much better with the grey hair and goatee. It's like a reinvention.

Arnie looks much better with the grey hair and goatee. It's like a reinvention.

Agree! He looks younger (or its more fitting) and REALLY badass. Im alittle more excited for this than Expendables 2..think just cos it'll be a 50/50 split with Arnie and Sly rather than an extended cameo for Arnold.

Sly's giving off a Copland-vibe and I hope Arnold gets to show some emotion. I still can't stand when people I know say they are bad actors..bad in what way? They do exactly what the role asks of them and noone else can do it as good as them! They are believable in the films they do and thats how I quantify if someone is doing there acting job well.

In saying that...Arnold as a computer terrorist person? :woot: maybe he's been in jail awhile lol.

Rest of the cast seem great! Hopefully fiddy plays a mute ;)

Last edited:
Speaking of Arnie what happened to 'Cry Macho'? Is that film officially dead? I was mildly excited about it.

Sly's giving off a Copland-vibe and I hope Arnold gets to show some emotion. I still can't stand when people I know say they are bad actors..bad in what way? They do exactly what the role asks of them and noone else can do it as good as them! They are believable in the films they do and thats how I quantify if someone is doing there acting job well.

I agree, I never got why they're considered bad actors. Both have given very solid performances throughout their careers and they work well in the kinds of roles they get.

Probably because they were widely known as 80s actions stars, and (rather unfairly) that's not a genre that really drew in a lot of thespians and oscar winners. Being an action star doesn't mean you can't act, IMO, but some people do seem to think it's the bottom of the barrell in terms of different genres an actor can take on. They've both had some stinkers of films, but also some very good ones. And for what it's worth, they definitely have acting ability when they put their minds to it.

I think Sly in particular has had a bit of a tough time from critics over the years. His slightly slurred speech and muscular look can give the wrong impression, and I think many people forget how his first major role (Rocky) had him both writing the entire story and playing the lead role. And the film won oscars. He's made a lot of money with art too, and I don't know if anyone read of his interviews over the years but he always comes across as a surprisingly modest, clever and funny guy.

I watched Rocky Balboa the other night for the 5th time, and I just love Sly's performance in it. It's very understated, but he really does become Rocky when he's on screen - he's not Sly any more. He's just this big strong, simply but very passionate guy with a heart of gold that everyone roots for. The scene where he gives a speech to his son in the street outside his restaurant is just brilliant.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Vg4uyYwEk[/YT]

Exactly. Stallone in Rocky - especially Balboa - really is believable and puts alot of heart into it. And he writes them! Hes wrote, produced, directed and was the main character in alot of his films so he's quite obviously talented, especially doing it all at once in some cases. Then people, like you said, see him as oafish because of the muscle and the way he talks..so he does Copland..the complete opposite type of film..and none of his detractors ever mention it lol. That speech in Balboa is amazing advice too.

Arnold is different but if you compare him to a comedian with his timing and delivery of lines, he does an extremely good job. Alot of comedians in films overact aswell..he nails it. He sold it in Twins so well. Plus, in End Of Days he pushed his range and showed he can bring forward more heart. He has always been my favorite actor since childhood, and owning all his films as I do you can see how well hes progressed over the years in acting..he started out sounding like he was reading notes scribbled on his hand and now he delivers each line like its part of him, what more could you ask?

I can't say the same for VanDamme, Segal or Statham. Willis I can, because he can jump from genre to genre with no problem. Not that I dont enjoy those 3 guys films, they just seem one dimensional in comparison to Sly, Arnie and Willis. Alot of actors now dont even look like they are believing what they say..Tatum (I did like him in 21 jump street tho), Taylor Lautner is awful..

Van Damme's DTV films are a far cry from what you're basing him on. Dude definitely has range. Stahtam pulls out a decent performance occasionally, Revolver, London, Safe.

None of these guys need to act, they need to have presence. They need to sell what's happening.

I can't say the same for VanDamme, Segal or Statham. Willis I can, because he can jump from genre to genre with no problem. Not that I dont enjoy those 3 guys films, they just seem one dimensional in comparison to Sly, Arnie and Willis. Alot of actors now dont even look like they are believing what they say..Tatum (I did like him in 21 jump street tho), Taylor Lautner is awful..
You should watch JCVD. He was great in it and the monologue scene really shows that he can act.
[YT]LlKdcooqhY8[/YT]

Van Damme's DTV films are a far cry from what you're basing him on. Dude definitely has range. Stahtam pulls out a decent performance occasionally, Revolver, London, Safe.

None of these guys need to act, they need to have presence. They need to sell what's happening.

I wish I could agree with you on Statham, but out of all these guys we're talking about he's the worst when it comes to presence... at least for me. It has nothing to do with his acting either, but as far as I'm concerned he's been Frank Martin in every movie he's done since the first transporter.

I think Van Damme and Seagal are good in their own way as well. Van Damme I think is a little underrated when it comes to his acting ability, particularly with his very good turn in Nowhere To Run.

I wish I could agree with you on Statham, but out of all these guys we're talking about he's the worst when it comes to presence... at least for me. It has nothing to do with his acting either, but as far as I'm concerned he's been Frank Martin in every movie he's done since the first transporter.

Different strokes, different folks dude. :yay:

Different strokes, different folks dude. :yay:

The other thinkg that irks me is the amount of screen time he's getting with the expendables franchise... I mean out of all the guys Sly is peers with or looks at as a bonafide 80's/90's action stars where does Stat fit in? He doesn't have that one stand alone blockbuster flick that fits in with the others.

I guess it's arguable that Norris/JCVD/Lundgren/Li don't either, but the amount of time he gets on screen doesn't really equal what he's done as a star up to this point IMO.

Same reason Keanu Reeves and Nicolas Cage keep getting work. He's cheap, easy to work with and never causes trouble.

Statham is more of a focal point because Sly is trying to pass the torch to someone younger. He's even wrote and produced a film for Statham, forget the name but..it shows how much he is pushing him. He's one of the only convincing new-day 80s hardman action stars, if that makes sense. Stallone is using Expendables to show off younger talent and mixing in the old..in wrestling terminology, trying to make/get over the young guys with the audience. Statham IS over. Hemsworth and the other young guy are being introduced for this reason too.

You have to admire Sly..helps the young guys to work with the best and gives them an opportunity while giving some older guys a second chance in a A-list action film, while trying to give us "old guard" fans a chance to see Arnold/Sly/Bruce side by side blowing stuff up! Love him.

You COULD say this waters the film down, and it may..unless its done like Avengers lol. BUT this is why we have The Tomb :) the big two sharing a film, finally! All we need now is Willis and these two to make a kickass trio film after this.

My comment on Statham, Van Damme and Segal not being as dimensional is just my personal opinion. I prefer Arnold and Sly much more and think they are more talented. Iv always enjoyed Segal even if he has only one emotion and Statham is physically awesome but he does play many of the same characters now..which is a shame after The Bank Job, Lock Stock and Snatch. Atleast more personality came out. Van Danne always came across as too cocky for my liking but he seems fantastic in the tiny bit we've seen of him in E2.

I do urge you to check out Until Death, Wake of Death, JCVD and Universal Soldier: Regeneration. JC is actually great as a sad sack!

Okay =] I'm interested in JCVD and US so I'll check them out an give an update lol. Picked those two cos they are the ones I hear about most.

Statham is more of a focal point because Sly is trying to pass the torch to someone younger. He's even wrote and produced a film for Statham, forget the name but..it shows how much he is pushing him. He's one of the only convincing new-day 80s hardman action stars, if that makes sense. Stallone is using Expendables to show off younger talent and mixing in the old..in wrestling terminology, trying to make/get over the young guys with the audience. Statham IS over. Hemsworth and the other young guy are being introduced for this reason too.

The problem is Charisma with the young guns.. and I include Statham in this. I've enjoyed a couple of his films, but he doesn't do tongue in cheek very well while Arnie/Sly/Willis were masters of it.

I often wonder though ...................... is it really that modern action stars aren't as charismatic, or is it just that we - as an audience - don't buy the cheesy one liners any more, and modern action films are thus a bit more serious and less quoteable?

Take The Rock for example - I think he's hugely charismatic, though he hasn't limited himself to DTV action fare like some of the names quoted.

With regards to Sly again, yeah he always seems to be helpful in terms of casting young guys who want a break, or casting older stars who haven't been in something in a while. Mickey Rourke did an interview on the Jonathan Ross show a few years back where he praised Stallone for giving him a job in the Get Carter remake when he was literally down to his last few dollars. He actually does Sly's voice pretty well :D

3:35 in .....
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMph1cweQrU[/YT]

I often wonder though ...................... is it really that modern action stars aren't as charismatic, or is it just that we - as an audience - don't buy the cheesy one liners any more, and modern action films are thus a bit more serious and less quoteable?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMph1cweQrU[/YT]

I think for sure that Hollywood is giving the audience too much credit these days and action films tend to lean more serious at times. Really though out of the 1 or 2 guys doing a steady stream of action films today... basically the Rock and Stat who could you see pulling off a film like True Lies or Demolition Man?

Mayyyybe the Rock could pull it off, but I still feel like he hasn't hit a homerun with a role yet... I never saw Faster but I heard he was headed in the right direction with that. Stat can't cause all he does is brood/frown every film he's in.

You make a good point there. The Rock could *maybe* pull off a film like True Lies or Demolition Man, but I struggle to think of anyone else.

The problem is Charisma with the young guns.. and I include Statham in this. I've enjoyed a couple of his films, but he doesn't do tongue in cheek very well while Arnie/Sly/Willis were masters of it.

I was confused there cos you put a capital C on charisma so I though you ment Charisma Carpenter from E1 :woot: There will never be another one who can level them.

I don't think anyone could pull off a Demolition Man or True Lies now. Faster was good, as are alot of Rocks films..but..I don't know..just not as good somehow. Statham CAN do more than brood and frown but he hasn't really done much more since Snatch. I enjoy Crank tho.

Elgaz...I think if a film like Commando could work nowadays, and be well accepted, but only with the right star to sell it in the right way.

I don't mind that we waited decades for the teamup in Tomb..I think it will have more character that way.

This post is going to be very unoriginal, repetitive and prolly completely unnecessary:

But like gazillions above have stated, I just have to say Arnie looks totally awesome in that 'goatee-and-grey-hair-look'! He really should've sported that look in the new Expandables flick. Totally badass IMO, and I get vibes from like an older Lee Marvin here but with Arnies more impressing physique (and accent of course..).

TombFLStalloneSchwarzfullwid5991.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"