Smallville Smallville's influence in the comics, other DC media

And I know some of these things were done in the comics first, but its just interesting to see how much they incorporated from the show, especially things that people seemed so outraged bout and unwilling to accept in the past.

Did Clark put on a Red K ring and go on a 3 month bank robbing spree? Did they turn Jor-El into a complete jackass who makes Clark's life a living Hell? I am guessing I can safely assume they didn't drag out Clana for 7 Seasons to the point you just wanted to throw something at the screen anytime both of them appeared in a scene or even mentioned eachother.

Those would be my biggest beefs

My biggest surprise in the movie was Clark not knowing how to fly (or the fact that he could fly) until after getting the costume. I mean that was one of the major complaints about Smallville other than the no tights rule. Yet people don't seem to care as much as before.

Anyway, I saw the movie this afternoon and absolutely loved it. I noticed many similarities with Smallville.

My biggest surprise in the movie was Clark not knowing how to fly (or the fact that he could fly) until after getting the costume. I mean that was one of the major complaints about Smallville other than the no tights rule. Yet people don't seem to care as much as before.

Anyway, I saw the movie this afternoon and absolutely loved it. I noticed many similarities with Smallville.
Yeah, I loved the movie too, and I wonder if its because of the Smallville similarities. But he didn't fly in the Donner film either until he went to the Fortress for seven years and came out with the suit. That's why I never understood the whole opposition to the "Flights and Tights" rule. I also think they did a good job explaining why Clark couldn't fly on the show.

But the biggest thing to me was him meeting Lois before even becoming Superman.

But the biggest thing to me was him meeting Lois before even becoming Superman.

On L&C he met Lois first(when he got a job at the DP), Superman showed up later in the pilot episode. Without over spoiling things did Clark meet Lois at the DP?

On L&C he met Lois first(when he got a job at the DP), Superman showed up later in the pilot episode. Without over spoiling things did Clark meet Lois at the DP?
In short.
No.

I guess Dr. Emil Hamilton from Smallville is also in the new Man of Steel. As excited as I am for this movie, I still really miss Smallville. :csad:

There was also a Professor Hamilton in the Lois & Clark TV series, and I believe the character has also appeared in other forms.

Think he's talking about the actual actor who played Hamilton on SV. He was one of the military guys in the Arctic.

I saw Man of Steel earlier this afternoon by myself, and then again a few hours ago with some friends, and here are some of the similarities and possible references to Smallville that I noticed. SPOILERS!

• When Clark is pulled out of his car and harassed by some boys, you can see a sign in the background of the auto shop that says "Sullivan's," which could be a reference to Chloe's family.
  • In the same scene, some of the boys are wearing a similar styled Smallville High letterman jacket like the Smallville crows had.
  • Pete's mother mentions a "Fordman" kid, which could refer to Whitney.
  • Lois meets Clark before he becomes Superman, and even after this, she tries to protect his true identity.
  • Clark does not know how to fly and does not attempt to until he wears the costume. He also cannot get the hang of flying right away.
  • Jonathan dies in an attempt to prevent Clark from revealing his secret.
  • Clark does not wear glasses at all as a child. He does not start until he joins the Daily Planet.
  • The younger versions of Clark bare a strong similarity to how Tom Welling looked as a young Clark Kent.
  • Jonathan reveals the truth to Clark about his true heritage.
I'm sure there's more that my lack of sleep won't allow me to remember right now. And I know some of these things were done in the comics first, but its just interesting to see how much they incorporated from the show, especially things that people seemed so outraged bout and unwilling to accept in the past.

Good sticks. Noticed most oh those as well.

One more that I forgot was the truck scene. Some say it was a nod to Superman II, but the way he destroyed the truck was very reminiscent of what Clark did in the pilot to Whitney and his friends' trucks.

I saw Man of Steel earlier this afternoon by myself, and then again a few hours ago with some friends, and here are some of the similarities and possible references to Smallville that I noticed. SPOILERS!

• When Clark is pulled out of his car and harassed by some boys, you can see a sign in the background of the auto shop that says "Sullivan's," which could be a reference to Chloe's family.
  • In the same scene, some of the boys are wearing a similar styled Smallville High letterman jacket like the Smallville crows had.
  • Pete's mother mentions a "Fordman" kid, which could refer to Whitney.
  • Lois meets Clark before he becomes Superman, and even after this, she tries to protect his true identity.
  • Clark does not know how to fly and does not attempt to until he wears the costume. He also cannot get the hang of flying right away.
  • Jonathan dies in an attempt to prevent Clark from revealing his secret.
  • Clark does not wear glasses at all as a child. He does not start until he joins the Daily Planet.
  • The younger versions of Clark bare a strong similarity to how Tom Welling looked as a young Clark Kent.
  • Jonathan reveals the truth to Clark about his true heritage.
I'm sure there's more that my lack of sleep won't allow me to remember right now. And I know some of these things were done in the comics first, but its just interesting to see how much they incorporated from the show, especially things that people seemed so outraged bout and unwilling to accept in the past.

I too picked up on these during the movie. Funnily, my wife who watched Smallville with me kept pointing out how much Cavil looked like Tom Welling. And I thought there were definitely times, especially in the
tornado scene
Cavil really gave off a Tom Welling vibe.

The "Smallville" and "Birthright" inflected first half was definitely my favorite part of the movie. Part of me wished there was more of those scenes. But I guess that's what ten years of "Smallville" is for.

PS-I thought it would have been a nice nod to the show if they cast an African American boy for Pete and an Asian American actress for Lana. ;)

Also,
Clark is 33 when he first dons the suit in the movie, and people gave "Smallville" crap for not putting Tom in the suit for ten years. By my math, Clark was 25 in "Finale", so he beat Cavil's Superman by at least eight years!

I too picked up on these during the movie. Funnily, my wife who watched Smallville with me kept pointing out how much Cavil looked like Tom Welling. And I thought there were definitely times, especially in the
tornado scene
Cavil really gave off a Tom Welling vibe.

The "Smallville" and "Birthright" inflected first half was definitely my favorite part of the movie. Part of me wished there was more of those scenes. But I guess that's what ten years of "Smallville" is for.

PS-I thought it would have been a nice nod to the show if they cast an African American boy for Pete and an Asian American actress for Lana. ;)
Yeah, there were several points in the film where I felt the Smallville influence was strong. I've said this in other places, but I could almost make the argument that this was a Smallville movie, or at least a movie based on what everyone expected Smallville to be about. If you get rid of the sub-plots and teenage angst and romance stuff, and found a way to condense the series so that it only focused on Clark and he got the suit and flew sooner, then they would almost be the same. A lot of the flashbacks with the Kents really made me want to go back and watch Smallville just to see certain themes expanded upon.

And I agree, whenever Cavill would smile around Martha, you could see a similar Tom Welling smile. I know people are saying there's a scene where he looks like Reeve, but more often than not, I saw more of a resemblance to Welling.
Also,
Clark is 33 when he first dons the suit in the movie, and people gave "Smallville" crap for not putting Tom in the suit for ten years. By my math, Clark was 25 in "Finale", so he beat Cavil's Superman by at least eight years!
:funny:

Part of me feels like the decision to have him [BLACKOUT]skip the years of training[/BLACKOUT] came from Smallville. I remember the plan there was to end the show after season 4 with him finding the Fortress because it would be in sync with the Donner version. But then Brian/Kelly had the sense of mind to change it up and having his do his training in doses, as opposed to all at once.

umm, you do know Dr. Hamilton's character long predates the dude from Smallville right?

Ummm.. That's why I said Dr. Hamilton in Smallville was in Man of Steel, meaning the actor that played that character. I was fully aware that the character of Dr. Hamilton was not created by the writers of Smallville. Otherwise I would have said that the character they created on Smallville was used by Man of Steel. Let's try not to jump the gun next time, ok?:cwink:

I'm pretty sure he/she means the actor who played Emil, Alessandro Juliani, who's playing a Sargent in Man of Steel among a couple of other Smallville actors making appearances in the movie.

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant.

One more that I forgot was the truck scene. Some say it was a nod to Superman II, but the way he destroyed the truck was very reminiscent of what Clark did in the pilot to Whitney and his friends' trucks.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw that scene. I thought it was pretty cool.

Their's alot of Smallville reference and nods in "Man of Steel".

in smallville itself it established that clark could have children (superman returns nod)

So I don't know if this would count as a nod to Smallville or not, but in the movie, Clark used the name "Joe" as he went around various places and worked jobs. In Smallville, when we see a young Jor-El on Earth, he also goes by the name of "Joe". I say they're similar because in the movie, Clark was sort of a drifter, and in Smallville, Jor-El was known as The Drifter. Its a stretch, but I still find that very interesting.

Another "nod:" Lois meets Clark in Smallville, before he's Superman.
Also, Lois' first words upon arriving in Smallville is "I'm looking for Pete Ross." Why is this significant? Part of the plotline of the episode "Craving" involved Jodi (Amy Adams' character) and Pete going on a date (before she attacks him, that is.).

Also, Clark's first major save in Smallville involved saving his friends from a bus that crashes off a bridge into the river. To me, this was very reminiscent of Clark saving Lex in the pilot.

So I don't know if this would count as a nod to Smallville or not, but in the movie, Clark used the name "Joe" as he went around various places and worked jobs. In Smallville, when we see a young Jor-El on Earth, he also goes by the name of "Joe". I say they're similar because in the movie, Clark was sort of a drifter, and in Smallville, Jor-El was known as The Drifter. Its a stretch, but I still find that very interesting.

In Smallville "Joe" was a guy who went around and didn't mind doing it with married females, then running off when they get shot.

In Smallville "Joe" was a guy who went around and didn't mind doing it with married females, then running off when they get shot.

Well how do you know that's not the norm back on Krypton? :o

Ummm.. That's why I said Dr. Hamilton in Smallville was in Man of Steel, meaning the actor that played that character. I was fully aware that the character of Dr. Hamilton was not created by the writers of Smallville. Otherwise I would have said that the character they created on Smallville was used by Man of Steel. Let's try not to jump the gun next time, ok?:cwink:

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant.

Don't mention it, I know what it's like when people don't understand what I say or post the first time. It happens(it's not fun but it happens).

Most of what I hear about Man of Steel that it's either a condensed version on Superman 1 and 2 without Lex, powers like time travel and memory wiping kiss and much more serious or basically more or less 10 years of Smallville in 2 1/2 hours(only with Zod and no Lex Luthor, Superheroes and villains, kryptonite racecars, etc)

I am sick of people bad talking Smallville all the time. It does not get half the kind of credit it deserves, both as a general TV show AND in the comics industry. It has influenced so much, so much of the comics and Superman in general has changed to adapt to the show, I dont know if Lex had known of Clark before Superman (before Smallville) but the show made that storyline popular. They made Clark's parents younger, they made the decsison to have classic characters meet Clark before he's Superman. They directly inspired the show Merlin on the BBC UK. The success of the show more than likely paved the way for Arrow to even exist. Yes it had some bad storylines (like all shows do) but the good ones really seemed to balance it out and I thought it was a genuine effort for a TV show and I always hate when I hear people saying it was a 'crappy' show or whatever else.

Don't mention it, I know what it's like when people don't understand what I say or post the first time. It happens(it's not fun but it happens).

Most of what I hear about Man of Steel that it's either a condensed version on Superman 1 and 2 without Lex, powers like time travel and memory wiping kiss and much more serious or basically more or less 10 years of Smallville in 2 1/2 hours(only with Zod and no Lex Luthor, Superheroes and villains, kryptonite racecars, etc)

Go see Man of Steel. :wow:

I am sick of people bad talking Smallville all the time. It does not get half the kind of credit it deserves, both as a general TV show AND in the comics industry. It has influenced so much, so much of the comics and Superman in general has changed to adapt to the show, I dont know if Lex had known of Clark before Superman (before Smallville) but the show made that storyline popular. They made Clark's parents younger, they made the decsison to have classic characters meet Clark before he's Superman. They directly inspired the show Merlin on the BBC UK. The success of the show more than likely paved the way for Arrow to even exist. Yes it had some bad storylines (like all shows do) but the good ones really seemed to balance it out and I thought it was a genuine effort for a TV show and I always hate when I hear people saying it was a 'crappy' show or whatever else.
Lex Luthor knowing Superman in Smallville was his origin before the crisis. In the comics Lex and Superboy use to be best friends but an explosion caused Lex to lose all his hair when trying to find a cure to Kryptonite for Superboy causing Lex to lose all his hair and him to disliking Superboy because he (Lex) felt he was doing all this work to save him (Superboy) but he couldn't save him from the fire. Also while I agree with you that SV does get a bad rep but a lot of it was to their own doing and it never really had that big of an influence on the comics outside of Birthright. Personally I loved the show but outside of Birthright it really doesn't have that much of influence. Even in MOS outside of making the Kents younger and using Whitney and Chloe's last name it really had no influence on the movie because most of the stuff in it (tornado, Clark's reaction or how the Kent's told him where he came from,Lexcorp/post crisis Lex etc) happened in the comics, S:TAS, Lois and Clark and other forms of media first. However the best thing SV did that I saw in MOS was they skipped the love triangle and had Lois already know Clark is Superman. SV had to do it for obvious reasons but I like that it transferred over to the movie or at least I like to think that's what it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"