Smartest man alive - the Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic casting and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four' started by Silvermoth, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I love Craig. Reed he is not. I would love to see him in the MCU at some point. Prob at this stage as a villain. But yeah... nothing Reed about him

Stark Bauer likes this.
  2. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

Agreed. He wasn’t my first choice before and he didn’t make a strong case for himself (though as you say, he didn’t have much to work with).

They could do better, they could do worse, but after years and years of disappointment, I’m
    fine taking him to avoid the “worse” possibility.

3. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

THIS. Marvel sacrificed some of their most beloved and iconic characters for the sake of "showing off Scarlet Witch's new powers! WOW! OOOH!" There are numerous ways to do this without pissing off the audience. You can literally have Thanos lift a moon and throw it at Stark not needing to kill him with it. Heck I would argue we already know how powerful Scarlet Witch is from Age of Ultron when she was able to infiltrate all their minds and make them hallucinate/see visions as well as when she went 1 v 1 vs Thanos. Killing off the Illuminati was in bad taste and was a poor decision along the lines of killing off Tony Stark. WHat does that prove? To me: Nothing. It is shooting yourself in the foot.

#253 Stark Bauer, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
  4. Detective Conan Registered

Yeah he’s way too debonaire for a role like Reed though I could buy him as genius more than I could Krasinski personally I’m under no illusions he’d ever fit the role unless Marvel was planning to do a radical reimagining of the character. But the idea of an actor his prestige playing the role in a one and done part intrigues me

5. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

BUT DID THEY REALLY HAVE TO DIE? She could have dispatched them rendered them unconscious or powerless. Murdering them to me serves no greater purpose other than for shock value. SImilar to SW The Last Jedi

6. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

:up:

At least with Stark they made his life matter.

These lives were made to feel completely worthless.

Though I do hope:

Sue comes for revenge at some point.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  7. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

thats the problem with the MCU.

They are trying to be like this genre and like that genre. Some genres and styles dont mesh with Marvel Comics. "Hey lets make a SAW like MCU movie? Because we want to - screw the fans" It was poor taste and poor judgment - variant universe or not - it was disrespectful to the characters and fans who love and have treasured what these characters represent for most of their lives.

8. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

You know, in an odd way, it reminds me of Rise of The Silver Surfer.

When I was watching that movie I thought: “This is the end of the world. It should feel intense. It should matter.” But the film was so poorly done, there was little emotional impact.

And it was similar with this film. Those deaths should have felt meaningful, but they didn’t.

They were just props. They didn’t matter.

Scarlet Spider and Stark Bauer like this.
  9. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

God forbid that when so and so writers decide to disrespect the face of a franchise like a Mickey Mouse, SUperman or SPider-Man, that there would be a backlash. Willie Lumpkin is one of the most dedicated, die hard Fantastic FOur fans I have ever known. He gets the characters. He understands what makes them special and the spirit which makes each character of the First Family part of the greatest comic book magazine. I do not question his judgement when it comes to them. I listen and confess I am very ignorant of the history of this franchise the Fantastic FOur. They did Reed and the Illuminati dirty - treated them worse than henchmen. Personally, I do not believe that Marvel did audience screenings beforehand. If they did they might have changed their movie and not have killed off the Illuminati in such a brutal disrespectful way - becuase it did not play well with general audiences and with me personally. If you enjoyed watching them get murdered by Wanda/SW, you dont love the characters of Reed Richards and Charles Xavier. You are a fan of gratuitous violence.

#259 Stark Bauer, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
  10. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

Daniel Craig would be an inspired choice for MCU Mr. Sinister

[​IMG]

Web-Head likes this.
  11. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

If we were talking 616 versions, sure. But they were not those versions. Is What If a disrespectful show cause they killed Tony like 6 times? When these characters come in the proper 616 universe, they will get the respect they deserve. But I am not getting bent out of shape over alternate versions that don't matter

MilkmanDan likes this.
  12. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I think I could take more comfort in this if they differentiated them, but other than us being told they were variants, they felt like the real tbing.

Reed was Reed, uniform, family “smartest man alive” etc. Black Bolt was Black Bolt with his powers, uniform etc. and a more faithful version than we got in the TV show.

If they had shown them to be evil or something, okay, but they didn’t. Those were the characters we’ve been waiting to see.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  13. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

What If isnt canon though at least not MCU canon. They may not matter to you, but those characters matter to me. To each their own. If you tell a Spider-Man fan it doesn't matter that Venom decapitated Peter Parker 838 version and crushed his body to a bloody pulp - I think this is not seeing things from their point of view (or at least from the passionate fandom's point of view). Yes I am emotionally invested in fictional characters. It is good for us normal blokes to have heroes to look up to.
    You unceremoniously kill them like dogs - naturally, there will be some angry fans.

14. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

One consolation i have is

All the Stephen Stranges from alternate universes turned out to be evil. Only the 616 version has a heart of gold and is selfless. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY all the alternate Reed Richards are dumbasses and the 616 version is the REAL DEAL,the actual SMARTEST MAN ALIVE

Willie Lumpkin likes this.
  15. Fluedd Registered

I'm glad I was spoiled to that scene before I saw the actual movie, or it might have irritated me more. As it was, I was ready for it. And I still enjoyed the movie, even if I think they could have treated our heroes better. Let's face it, when you are dealing with variants from other multiverses, they basically become red shirts - their probability of dying increase exponentially.

It wasn't just the way Wanda destroyed them though, Dr. Strange was openly mocking them, with the "No ****, genius" and "Why? Does he have bad breath?". Really, I think I got a kick out of seeing Black Bolt most after Mr. Fantastic, because I figured that character would be permanently buried.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  16. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

What If is absolutely canon. Marvel Studios made it directly themselves.

I love the FF and plenty of Marvel characters, and if this was the versions we were supposed to follow, then that would matter to me. But these are not important variants. Which is exactly why the Illuminati here were from another universe. Rick and Morty have killed how many variants of themselves on that show? Not all of them are treated with the same respect the main Rick and Morty we follow are. If the 838 versions of them were going to be important down the line, then this would matter. I get some fans are upset cause of the name on the Jersey and all that, but there is a forest beyond the trees.

The FF when we see them in the 616 universe I have little doubt will be handled with care.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  17. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Variants in Marvel often are similar to the 616 counterparts, but not exactly the same. See Loki. Several Loki variants look like 616 Loki. So when we get our 616 versions maybe they do resemble what we saw here. We won't know until we meet 616 Reed or Black Bolt or whoever. But I have little doubt Marvel will handle the proper versions with care.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  18. Johnny Richards Registered

Exactly.

The whole point of using the 838 Illuminati was so Wanda could kill them. I guess some people just don't get it and don't want to.

What I find hilarious is that had it been Apocalypse or Kang or Galactus that wiped them out swiftly and virtually in the same fashion, nobody would be complaining.
    People don't like Wanda being so powerful. They're stuck on her Avengers persona that lasted 4 years and reject her supervillain status now.

#268 Johnny Richards, May 15, 2022
    Last edited: May 15, 2022
  19. Crimz Registered

Also, we don't know if Krasinski will be the main Reed. If they use another actor for the main Reed then it further separates them.
    I still don't think Krasinski is 100% going to be Reed, the entire Illuminati felt like one-offs who won't return.

Maria and Peggy are dead in 616 MCU so they aren't returning
    They are not going to use 81 year old Patrick Stewart as their main Charles Xavier
    Black Bolt is from the worst project the MCU ever made. They are not going to wrap that take into the main universe

Which leaves Krasinski. He could easily be just a nod to the popular fancast. Not to be actually used as "616 Reed". It's not set in stone

20. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

If, prior to release, there was a rumor Miles Teller would star, I would have been like “NOOOOO”,

But then with what they did, the scene would have been satisfying.

Another missed opportunity.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  21. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

22. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

the Loki variants being killed off in Loki series does put things into perspective.

23. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

If it was Miles Teller, I would have applauded his demise lol

24. Fluedd Registered

That Whiplash movie is great, and is very rewatchable. Every time someone slams Miles Teller (which is often), I think "Yeah, but he was good in Whiplash".

If I was JK Simmons slapping Teller, I would have thought "This is for that Fan4stic movie!".
    (Never mind that the Whiplash movie was made first, minor details).

Stark Bauer likes this.
  25. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

He’s a good actor but a terrible Reed Richards.

I haven’t seen many people slam his acting abilities, and I think most of us were with him when he was talking s*** to Josh Trank.

If I recall, Trank Tweeted something like “At one point, I had a great film” and Teller responded with something like: “No you didn’t”

:funny:

Stark Bauer and Fluedd like this.