Snipes is out of prison- Time to bring back Blade?

semper

Civilian
Reaction score
It's the perfect storm. Snipes has been released. Marvel have the rights to Blade back. Snipes probably has maybe a 5-10 year window left before he's physically too old to play Blade, which is good for another two solo movies at least (and maybe appearences in stuff like Avengers or Dr Strange).

Snipes as Blade is a proven commodity. He was supposed to have been difficult on Blade Trinity (maybe because Goyer tried to replace him with useless sidekicks in the form of Ryan Reynolds and Jessica Biel), and deliberately gave a listless performance to spite the production, but I reckon now that he' out, he'll want to have a good comeback and he'll play nice and give the best performance he possibly can. He could really enhance the Marvel movie universe, so I hope Fiege and his guys tap him up to do more Blade before it's too late.

How would he enhance the MCU? Plus I doubt Marvel is going to bring him into their carefully crafted universe right after he gets out of jail. That just doesn't look good to the family target audience.

How would he enhance the MCU? Plus I doubt Marvel is going to bring him into their carefully crafted universe right after he gets out of jail. That just doesn't look good to the family target audience.

Because he's a good actor, and the character is iconic and popular? It will enhance things, because they already know Blade works onscreen, as played by Snipes. Also, there has been a lack of minority/African-American heroes in the marvel film universe that can carry their own movie, and since Black Panther doesn't look like he'll be arriving anytime soon, Blade is probably the only other proven option (who knows if Luke Cage will work or not).

And give me a break. Robert Downey jr is a convicted felon, serial offender and long term drug addict whose crimes and transgressions are about a thousand times worse than Snipes not paying some of his taxes. Yet Downey jr is the flagship leader of Marvel's "family target audience" as Iron Man. Downey jr got given a chance by Marvel, after decades of criminal behavior. Snipes is an Angel by comparison.

Snipes has done his time and paid for his (minor) crime. As long as he delivers the goods onscreen, I doubt anyone will care.

Yes! It needs to happen. I think it could be successful as well. Get rid of every side-kick and character in trinity and go with the older Blade vs the world and more bad ass than ever. Have the enemies more bad ass than ever. Have a good trailer and the fan base will be there

Because he's a good actor, and the character is iconic and popular? It will enhance things, because they already know Blade works onscreen, as played by Snipes. Also, there has been a lack of minority/African-American heroes in the marvel film universe that can carry their own movie, and since Black Panther doesn't look like he'll be arriving anytime soon, Blade is probably the only other proven option (who knows if Luke Cage will work or not).

And give me a break. Robert Downey jr is a convicted felon, serial offender and long term drug addict whose crimes and transgressions are about a thousand times worse than Snipes not paying some of his taxes. Yet Downey jr is the flagship leader of Marvel's "family target audience" as Iron Man. Downey jr got given a chance by Marvel, after decades of criminal behavior. Snipes is an Angel by comparison.

Snipes has done his time and paid for his (minor) crime. As long as he delivers the goods onscreen, I doubt anyone will care.
Okay I give you the bit about RDJ but, Blade still wouldn't enhance the MCU especially not with Snipes playing the character. First and foremost Blade and especially not Snipes' Blade is not a family oriented character. And Feige has said it many times the movies he's making right now are films he can go see with his kids. That's why he and Whedon didn't up the violence in Avengers like Nolan's Dark Knight series (he even made that reference). Blade wouldn't fit in the MCU as it is now. Now if they expand that into a MCU Knights type of thing than yes by all means bring him on but as of the MCU now no.

Blade has jumped the Shark and Vampires are over exposed.

Okay I give you the bit about RDJ but, Blade still wouldn't enhance the MCU especially not with Snipes playing the character. First and foremost Blade and especially not Snipes' Blade is not a family oriented character. And Feige has said it many times the movies he's making right now are films he can go see with his kids. That's why he and Whedon didn't up the violence in Avengers like Nolan's Dark Knight series (he even made that reference). Blade wouldn't fit in the MCU as it is now. Now if they expand that into a MCU Knights type of thing than yes by all means bring him on but as of the MCU now no.

Blade is a vampire hunter. While his films have tended towards being more "adult" in style and content, there's really little reason why he couldn't be toned down a bit to fit the current style of the Marvel universe.

Blade working for SHIELD, and teaming up with other heroes could create a scenrio that still is exciting and has lots of action/adventure, but fits with the current Marvel-verse. Less graphic violence and swearing, and Blade is just another cool action hero to play with.

Wolverine isn't a "family-oriented character" either, but if Marvel had the rights to him, you damn well know they'd find a way to make him work in their universe.

Blade is a vampire hunter. While his films have tended towards being more "adult" in style and content, there's really little reason why he couldn't be toned down a bit to fit the current style of the Marvel universe.

Blade working for SHIELD, and teaming up with other heroes could create a scenrio that still is exciting and has lots of action/adventure, but fits with the current Marvel-verse. Less graphic violence and swearing, and Blade is just another cool action hero to play with.

Wolverine isn't a "family-oriented character" either, but if Marvel had the rights to him, you damn well know they'd find a way to make him work in their universe.
But you wanting Snipes to play Blade wouldn't work that way. People are accustomed to Snipes playing a bad-ass gritty Blade. If they were to cast him in the role and then tone him down completely, there goes the fanbase that was built before. No one likes to see a tried and true character tampered with. This has been proven many many times in other franchises.

People went with a toned down Wolverine (even though a lot of fans don't like this toned down version of him) because that's the first thing they were given. They weren't exposed to a hardcore no holds bar Wolverine in films so they took what was originally given to them.

I highly doubt that Marvel would bring back anyone from the original New Line Blade Trilogy or carry over any story details from it; they're more likely to start over from scratch with a reboot featuring an all-new storyline and all-new actors.

But you wanting Snipes to play Blade wouldn't work that way. People are accustomed to Snipes playing a bad-ass gritty Blade. If they were to cast him in the role and then tone him down completely, there goes the fanbase that was built before. No one likes to see a tried and true character tampered with. This has been proven many many times in other franchises.

People went with a toned down Wolverine (even though a lot of fans don't like this toned down version of him) because that's the first thing they were given. They weren't exposed to a hardcore no holds bar Wolverine in films so they took what was originally given to them.

Snipes can still be bad-ass and gritty. In fact, he can play the character the exact same way in the Marvel universe as he did in the New Line films, and not miss a beat. The character of Blade himself is not that extreme. He's basically just a lone samurai type character, that doesn't talk much and is a great fighter. The Blade universe of the New Line films is just more hednoistic, adult and bloody....but the character himself could fit into the Marvel-verse.

I remember how popular Blade was when he appeared in the 90's Spider-Man cartoon. He was essentially the same badass character, but he fitted right into a saturday morning cartoon. It's not as hard to make Blade still gritty and bada$$, but PG, as you think.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that Marvel would bring back anyone from the original New Line Blade Trilogy or carry over any story details from it; they're more likely to start over from scratch with a reboot featuring an all-new storyline and all-new actors.

Didn't they try to do that with some Blade TV show nobody watched. Snipes defined the role. While he's still capable of playing it, I'm not sure anyone else will be accepted in the role. it'd be a big risk.

^ The TV series was a direct continuation of the New Line Blade Trilogy, but with a different actor in the titular role.

^And was a complete flop as I recall. Which is why it was quickly cancelled.

Not time to bring back blade, and if it was time it's certainly not for Wesley snipes to reprise the role. I won't deny he was an awesome blade but if and or when the daywalker returns we should have a new actor take the role.

^^^ like others just stated trying to continue the New Line Cinema Blade in a toned down fashion didn't fly with people and I have nothing against the character or a movie being made, I just don't think it's the right time to reintroduce Blade and I don't think Marvel will continue on with the Wesley Snipes Blade
And for the record @semper Goyer and New Line Cinema changed the character of Blade completely from his comic book counterpart. They changed his origins, powers, weaknesses, and personality. So if Marvel did reintroduce Blade there's a good chance they will go with the original comic book version to distinguish itself from the New Line Cinema version.

I do think that Snipes should be brought back as Blade. I don't think that the character has much steam left in the tank as far as solo movies go (vampires are overexposed) but he could make a guest appearance in something like Avengers 2 to give that movie some new blood to the team....maybe kill him off so he doesn't age too much for the role.

If only Sony had the rights to Blade then they could do a Blade Vs. Ghost Rider movie.

^^^ like others just stated trying to continue the New Line Cinema Blade in a toned down fashion didn't fly with people and I have nothing against the character or a movie being made, I just don't think it's the right time to reintroduce Blade and I don't think Marvel will continue on with the Wesley Snipes Blade
And for the record @semper Goyer and New Line Cinema changed the character of Blade completely from his comic book counterpart. They changed his origins, powers, weaknesses, and personality. So if Marvel did reintroduce Blade there's a good chance they will go with the original comic book version to distinguish itself from the New Line Cinema version.

Actually Snipes changed Blade character the most. That bad ass you saw on screen revamped was mostly due to Snipes. He does not get enough credit because people simply don't like him

Not in the slightest.
Blade: The Series (which featured Sticky Fingaz in the title role) was one of Spike's most-watched shows when it debuted in 2006. The only reason it was cancelled is because Spike was still a virgin cable station at the time, and the suits were afraid to gamble on a second season. In terms of popularity, it actually garnered more viewership than Arrow currently does for CW, and Arrow is, by all counts, a hit, with cult status in the making.

Whether Marvel introduces Blade into the MCU or not, I see no reason to give Snipes the time of day. By all accounts, he's an arrogant prima donna and exactly the kind of actor Marvel *doesn't* want to have to deal with. If they introduce Blade to the MCU, make it a clean cut reboot, preferably as part of a general supernatural milieu. Perhaps the Nightstalkers, perhaps the Midnight Sons.

Actually, it wasn't a flop. Spike TV cancelled it because they were still a fledgling network and the cost of the show was too much for them to handle at the time.

Edit: Ninja'd by cherokeesam.

I am glad he's out of prison.I would gladly pay to see him as Blade again but It won't happen.If DIsney does anything with Blade It will be a reboot and a PG-13 version.

His critism of trinity was very justified.The series had numbers to justify a second season.It was money that killed It.

By all accounts, he's an arrogant prima donna and exactly the kind of actor Marvel *doesn't* want to have to deal with.

I am glad marvel didn't think like you when they hired Robert Downey Junior

I know that Stan Lee attributed the wave of Marvel film successes to the original Blade, so I think more Blade movies are totally warranted with Snipes at the helm. I think it would be very cool to bring Morbius into the mix in the next film!

It is time for a Blade / Twilight franchise crossover. THAT is the perfect storm - Blade action sequences for the men, Twilight vampires for the ladies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"