Snipes is out of prison- Time to bring back Blade?

Actually Snipes changed Blade character the most. That bad ash you saw on screen revamped was mostly due to Snipes. He does not get enough credit because people simply don't like him

My opinion is pretty much similar to yours. I've said numerous times Snipes doesn't get enough credit for the success of Blade even though he contributed a lot to the movies with giving him the Bladeness, designing the weapons and bringing in his team developing great fight scenes. Goyer always seems to get the praises but it was him and New Line that wanted to go that direction for Trinity. Movie didn’t do as good as the previous movies so they try to blame Snipes for the downfall of the movie.

My opinion is pretty much similar to yours. I've said numerous times Snipes doesn't get enough credit for the success of Blade even though he contributed a lot to the movies with giving him the Bladeness, designing the weapons and bringing in his team developing great fight scenes. Goyer always seems to get the praises but it was him and New Line that wanted to go that direction for Trinity. Movie didn’t do as good as the previous movies so they try to blame Snipes for the downfall of the movie.

Well I highly doubt Snipes had much to do in changing the defining features of the character I.e. origins, personality, powers, and weaknesses. That was all writing. I'm not denying Snipes brought the flare to the character like how RDJ does with Tony Stark. But what I'm saying is the New Line Cinema version of the character is vastly different than the Marvel comic book version and if Marvel is going to bring him into.their MCU they're more than likely going to go with their original version and not someone else's

i wouldn't mind seeing Wesley play Jim Rhodes in a War Machine solo movie (based partially off of Dark Reign: War Machine). he has a strong enough personality to flesh out the character.

Well I highly doubt Snipes had much to do in changing the defining features of the character I.e. origins, personality, powers, and weaknesses. That was all writing. I'm not denying Snipes brought the flare to the character like how RDJ does with Tony Stark. But what I'm saying is the New Line Cinema version of the character is vastly different than the Marvel comic book version and if Marvel is going to bring him into.their MCU they're more than likely going to go with their original version and not someone else's

If you watch Blade II the scene where Whistler killed all them baby Reapers in those test tubes. On the script Blade was supposed to do that, but Wesley felt that something Blade wouldn't do. Throughout the film series there were plenty of instances that Snipes made changes to the character. Since he felt what was written on script was something the Blade character wouldn't do.

If you watch the original first two films with the commentary with Goyer/Snipes/Frankfurt/Del Toro they are very informative. They even mentioned that Snipes said there wasn't enough action in the beginning of Blade II so Snipes wanted to add more action that wasn't even the script.

I also noticed on the new Blu-ray version of Blade II is that they didn't really mention Snipes at all or edit parts that were in the original DVD version. I guess Goyer/ New Line/Warner's still mad at him for trying to sue over Blade Trinity.

Last edited:
But since Snipes' Blade became so popular, Marvel updated the comic version. So the two are not all that different.

Snipes did more than just bring flare. He was in on making blade half human/half vampire

After reading what Patton Oswalt said about the production of Blade Trinity, I'd say a recasting is definitely in order. Yes to Blade, no to Snipes.

Marvel should make their own dark movie with Dr. Strange, Blade, Ghost Rider, even funnier if they beat DC to it.

Just read that Oswalt interview and it was pretty funny. I don't see how you can blame Snipes for Trinity. It's well known Snipes and Kristofferson didn't like the direction the movie was headed. Turns out they were right

Snipes as Blade in the MCU is not happening... time to move onto a new Blade with a new continuity.

Snipes as Blade in the MCU is not happening... time to move onto a new Blade with a new continuity.

I don't know how likely Blade, with or without Snipes, would be right now. Blade was big in the movies in the 90s, as was Wesley Snipes. Things have changed considerably in the decade+ since then: the vampire genre has jumped the shark full-on into the dirty pool of tweenie soap operas; Blade's popularity as a Marvel film hero has been majorly overshadowed by the big boys hitting the scene; and Wesley Snipes is, of course, damaged goods. Which is not to say that Marvel wouldn't be willing to work with Snipes (see: RDJ pre-2008), or Snipes with them (see: gotta pay the bills, y'all); but I kinda doubt Blade is high on MS' priority list right now.

The two ways I could see Blade working in the 21st century:

a) A cameo in the Dr. Strange movie. Provides a "wow! :wow:" surprise for general audiences; fanservice for the Marvelites who recognize the Midnight Sons reference; and maybe acts as a gauge for current fan interest in the character.

b) Marvel Knights. I still wish Marvel Studios would institute a smaller "Fox Searchlight"-style studio that handles Marvel Knights properties (e.g., Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Punisher, Blade, Cloak & Dagger, etc.). These would be a lot cheaper 'n' dirtier to produce, and dark 'n' gritty fare --- even R-rated material. It would be a way to showcase the street level heroes in the MCU without taking away from the big budget four-color mainstays.

I don't know how likely Blade, with or without Snipes, would be right now. Blade was big in the movies in the 90s, as was Wesley Snipes. Things have changed considerably in the decade+ since then: the vampire genre has jumped the shark full-on into the dirty pool of tweenie soap operas; Blade's popularity as a Marvel film hero has been majorly overshadowed by the big boys hitting the scene; and Wesley Snipes is, of course, damaged goods. Which is not to say that Marvel wouldn't be willing to work with Snipes (see: RDJ pre-2008), or Snipes with them (see: gotta pay the bills, y'all); but I kinda doubt Blade is high on MS' priority list right now.

The two ways I could see Blade working in the 21st century:

a) A cameo in the Dr. Strange movie. Provides a "wow! :wow:" surprise for general audiences; fanservice for the Marvelites who recognize the Midnight Sons reference; and maybe acts as a gauge for current fan interest in the character.

b) Marvel Knights. I still wish Marvel Studios would institute a smaller "Fox Searchlight"-style studio that handles Marvel Knights properties (e.g., Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Punisher, Blade, Cloak & Dagger, etc.). These would be a lot cheaper 'n' dirtier to produce, and dark 'n' gritty fare --- even R-rated material. It would be a way to showcase the street level heroes in the MCU without taking away from the big budget four-color mainstays.
Both of your ideas are fantastic. I'd love to see either one, and fully agree with a Marvel Knights branch. The Midnight Sons would be... agh, can't even put that awesomeness into words! Hope he cameos in Strange.

the vampire genre has jumped the shark full-on into the dirty pool of tweenie soap operas

I'm tellin' ya... Blade / Twilight crossover... big money for the studio right there...

I'd love a Blade (Snipes) cameo in Dr. Strange. That would be all kinds awesome.

Just read that Oswalt interview and it was pretty funny. I don't see how you can blame Snipes for Trinity. It's well known Snipes and Kristofferson didn't like the direction the movie was headed. Turns out they were right

I don't blames Snipes for Trinity either. David Goyer had too much power on Trinity, and I think that's what destroyed the franchise. Goyer is not a talented director (see The Unborn, which is even worse than Trinity), but is a servicable writer. When he gets to write and direct, as he did with Trinity, he basically becomes the God of the production, and there is no one to tell him that his script needs work, or some of these crappy sidekicks or lame jokes need to go (sounds like Snipes tried to tell him, but Goyer chose not to listen). When someone else is directing, Goyer has to tailor the script to their wants and needs. It feels to me that because Goyer was directing, he decided his first draft was the one to go with, and no one would tell him otherwise.

Goyer scapegaoted Snipes for his own boneheaded choices as writer/director. Snipes was absolutely correct to protest the direction Goyer chose to take Trinity in. It badly diluted the quality of the first two films, which had far more capble directors at the helm.

no one can be blade other than snipes sorry kill those reboot talk

it is like rebooting john McClain lol

I know. I think he's too difficult to replace. Snipes IS Blade. Nobody thinks of Sticky Fingaz as Blade. If you just try to reboot him with some muscular black dude, it won't work. Something about Snipes himself defined the character on film.

It's like how the studio knew they couldn't just recast someone else as Jason Bourne, because Matt Damon had made the role so indelibly his. So when the cast Jeremey Renner to replace him in The Bourne Legacy, it was as a complete different character.

I'd like to see another Blade movie. But similar in tone etc. to the first one. Let's not have a whole team of hunters. Blade works best alone on the streets with a "Whistler type" helper back at base keeping things going.

I wanted to see Blade 4, in a prison full of Vampires.

I agree with some of the others here, it's time to do a new actor, new continuity, new story. Go back to the solitary hunter, just Blade and Whistler.

No it's not. Blade is a pre-existing character. He existed before Wesley and he should and will exist after Wesley. Characters like John McClaine and Indiana Jones should not be rebooted because they were created and defined alongside the actors playing them, but Blade is a comic book character. It is more like rebooting Batman after Keaton or Spider-Man after Maguire. It doesn't matter how good a job they did playing those characters, because the characters have existed outside of those respective actors so there's always someone else that can play them. That said, in my opinion, Christian Bale and Andrew Garfield were both the best at playing Bats and Spidey, and it'd be difficult to find someone who can live up to Snipes let alone pass him. The best you can do is accept that whoever is cast as Blade won't be as well received, so instead focus on improving the world around him.

Keeping Snipes as Blade would make it difficult for the MCU to define what is and is not canon from the previous Blade trilogy. I don't see Marvel wanting anything to do with the previous trilogy and will do a complete reboot with new actors when the time comes.

Blade really doesn't need his own movies anymore, imo. At least not for a long while. I'd prefer him being in a Midnight Sons movie as a member.

Blade vs Twilight would be a huge hit.
1365434289-twilight-ending-blade.jpg

I say no to Snipes as Blade again. I think maybe some more time needs to pass till a reboot and a now direction and actor. And though I want Blade to be in the same universe and the Avengers I prefer Vampires to be even be under the radar from even the likes of S.H.E.I.L.D.

But I do say YES to Snipes being cast as S'yan T'Challas uncle in a upcoming Black Panther film
1836040-t___s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"