Where Are the Black Superhero Movies?

James"007"Bond said:
Instead of shooting your mouth off like you know something, how about giving examples of better black actors. Howard is a black man through and through, his skin tone doesn't have to be darker. Howard is a good actor, has a good build and most importantly is a black man. If he should take on the role, its a performance I for one will be looking foward to.
I agree. Howard is one of the better black actors out there respected by audiences and his peirs (Oscar nomination).

I've been watching him ever since he was in that sitcom Sparks so its great to see his rise to fame.
BTW Wasn't he also offered a part in Luke Cage alongside Tyrese?

I don't think Howard is right for Rhodey. Rhodey's rough and tumble, Howard is too suave, too ''pretty'. Morris Chestnut would've been my choice. He's attractive enough, but not 'pretty'. You could see him in a scrap, and doing some damage.

But Favs probably wants Howard because he's fairly well-known thanks to his breakout year of 2005, but not big enough to overshadow whoever plays Tony.

^^Morris Chestnut is not really in Terrence Howard's league in my opnion.

tamron said:
I don't think Howard is right for Rhodey. Rhodey's rough and tumble, Howard is too suave, too ''pretty'. Morris Chestnut would've been my choice. He's attractive enough, but not 'pretty'. You could see him in a scrap, and doing some damage.

See, now that reasoning I can agree with. Not some dumb s*** about how dark or lightskinned he is.

But Favs probably wants Howard because he's fairly well-known thanks to his breakout year of 2005, but not big enough to overshadow whoever plays Tony.

Yeah, he's a very marketable (black) actor, yet nowhere near the big time star Denzel or Will Smith is. He can still do a supporting role.

Retroman said:
^^Morris Chestnut is not really in Terrence Howard's league in my opnion.

I'm not comparing their acting skills, (if I was, I'd be inclined to agree with you) I'm just talking about who fits the character better. Rhodey as a character is in Chestnut's wheelhouse, I don't feel he is in Howard's.

tamron said:

There's this film with Taye Diggs, Morris chestnut and Howard, cant remember the name of the film but Howard played an incensitive prick who had a very mean yet creepy look to him. Howard has no problem getting tough, after all, he's an actor for goodness sake.

I believe you're referring to The Best Man, and that character had very few similarities to Rhodey, outside of the fact both are black men.

In fact, Chestnut's performance in The Best Man is part of what makes me think he's perfect for Rhodey. He's physically imposing, charming in the scenes with his wife to be, and shares a good rapport with Diggs' character, and when he learns of Diggs' character's betrayal, he lights into him with a temper and physical assault akin to Rhodey's disagreements with Tony.

Howard is a good actor, but I don't think he fits Rhodey as he has traditionally been written as well as some other actors could. The fact they want him makes me think movie Rhodey won't quite be comic Rhodey.

Retroman said:
I agree. Howard is one of the better black actors out there respected by audiences and his peirs (Oscar nomination).

I've been watching him ever since he was in that sitcom Sparks so its great to see his rise to fame.
BTW Wasn't he also offered a part in Luke Cage alongside Tyrese?

Yes. Yes he was. Howard was once attached to the role of Diamonback, in the Cage film.

GL1 said:
you'll learn that John out thinks and is just all around deeper and more interesting than Kyle and Hal.
Really, in what way? Y'know, other than you just saying it...

B1g Jerm said:
Meteor Man!!!!!!!!!!

I remember that movie from back in the day....I actually enjoyed watching it in the theater and whenever it comes on television I always end up watching it. :up: Anyone remember the horrible Bill Cosby movie Leonard Part 6 (or whatever it was called) ?

tamron said:
I'm not comparing their acting skills, (if I was, I'd be inclined to agree with you) I'm just talking about who fits the character better. Rhodey as a character is in Chestnut's wheelhouse, I don't feel he is in Howard's.
They could always write the character to fit Howard? Doesn't mean they have to change the essence of Rhodey perse.

Batman said:
Yes. Yes he was. Howard was once attached to the role of Diamonback, in the Cage film.

Batman said:
Brother Vodoo
Black Goliath
Photon
Bishop
The Prowler
Mr. Terrific
Vixen
Cyborg

either Bishop or Cyborg would make great entertaining films

Deathlok too but I think Bishop would be an unnecessary solo film. Dont' forget about Negative Man & Jack Spade form IGGYS LOL

I've loved Mr. Terrific for years. That could be an incredible movie... but I'm not sure if DC has established him well enough to be a stand alone character.

Steel done the right way would be balls to the wall! He's an incredible character.

I must say that Tyrese as Cage has me worried. He isn't going to say "Sweet Christmas!" is he?

Bishop could be a good futuristic movie. He's a team dependant hero right now and I think his character could be surounded by a few good support characters.

Good thread.

Just something interesting I found.

TulipaBlackHero.jpg

This is called a Tulipa Black Hero

So maybe if they put that flower in the background of every superhero film then this thread will end. ;)

Advanced Dark said:
So maybe if they put that flower in the background of every superhero film then this thread will end. ;)

Now THERE'S the solution!

I just thought that was an interesting find. Beautiful flower as well.

How about Stormwatch with Jackson as the main character?

GL1 said:
Understandable... glad you have that opinion. And true, Kyle does have some rarely mentioned, rarely-drawn ethnicity, that I have forgotten about... does Kyle, as a character, have any connection with any Latino culture? I mean, he is biologically not white, I see, but does he have any appreciation for things from his Latino background, or is it just 'oh... I'm not white' and he goes on with his life unchanged?

I don't remember him making a big deal of it, but then how do you show Latin heritage without falling into stereotypes?

GL1 said:
1) Says who? 2)Alan was first. However, if you have other black superhero movie suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Hal was the first (Human) member of the GL Corps, and since Alan was never connected to the Corps, Oa, or the Guardians, he isn't a factor in a series of movies that would eventualy go through Hal, John, Kyle, and MAYBE Guy. It just makes sense to start at the begining, and GL begins with Hal.

And while on the subject of non-Anglo heros, the new Blue Beetle is Mexican.

Sasquatch said:
I've loved Mr. Terrific for years. That could be an incredible movie... but I'm not sure if DC has established him well enough to be a stand alone character.

Steel done the right way would be balls to the wall! He's an incredible character.

I must say that Tyrese as Cage has me worried. He isn't going to say "Sweet Christmas!" is he?

Bishop could be a good futuristic movie. He's a team dependant hero right now and I think his character could be surounded by a few good support characters.

Good thread.
:up:

Red Mask said:
At least Marvel has some black superheroes. Don't expect any from DC.
Firestorm would rule. John Stewart would make an excellent GL cast member. And I am currently writing a script for my version of a Teen Titans movie featuring Cyborg.

I am a big advocate of black superheroes. Nothing would please me more than more African American and African centered Superhero movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"