Sequels So no Ant-Man 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is no Ant-Man 2, but there is still somehow a FFINO 2, then that would be a complete travesty.

It's at 300 million WW today and that's without an international update, I think it has and will make enough to justify a sequel with ease.

An Ant-man sequel was never in the cards. We shouldn't expect one, and never should have, unless thing thing grossed upwards $600 million.

An Ant-man sequel was never in the cards. We shouldn't expect one, and never should have, unless thing thing grossed upwards $600 million.

Considering its one the best MCU solo movies, I think they would be silly not to make a sequel, especially when the likes of CW and IW will give the character more exposure. Plus $400 million WW is still a possibility.

I think we'll get a sequel eventually, it's just that Phase 3's schedule is jam-packed and I don't think they would make room for it there unless it had done GoTG numbers. I think they'll see if the characters get popularity boosts from Phase 3 appearances first (Ant-Man's in CW and Hope!Wasp isn't in CW but will be appearing in other Phase 3 movies which probably means IW...maybe Captain Marvel too IDK).

The earliest that we could see a sequel would be 2017, which means they would have to push back Black Panther/Capt Marvel solo films again. I could see it happening if this was a 600m+ grosser like GOTG.. The possibility is still there because it performed in line with expectations but Marvel/Feige are probably more concerned with getting Phase 3 off the ground running starting with Dr. Strange.

Last edited:
With 3 movies already due in 2017 I don't see an AM sequel being made for then, 2019 would be the earliest we can hope for IMO.

We shall see Ant-Man in Civil War.
I'm almost certain we will see both Ant-Man and Wasp in Infinity War.
In my perfect Phase 4 we will get a sequel titled Ant-Man and Wasp.

Has there ever been a film that made $400m at the box office that could have had a sequel that didn't?

They could even do a crossover. Ant man and hulk do paris or something.

I also think a sequel will be made in future.
It's way to popular not to have a sequel...

There's been rumors of a prequel involving Pym. But I'm not sure Marvel is into prequels. They tend make shared universe timelines messed up (look at Wolverine Origins).

I'm not sure an Ant-Man sequel is in the cards and I'm fine with that, even as a big fan. They did the character justice on the big screen and that's all that matters to me.

As much as I loved the movie (Top 5 MCU movies for me), I have a feeling we won't see an Ant-Man 2. But I feel like this should open doors for Marvel to do team up movies with 2 different superheroes.

I think this is one of the best MCU origin movies, and its going to make a good amount of profit, so I see no reason why we can't get a sequel. November 2019 would be a great spot, especially after the character has had more exposure in CW and IW.

There's been rumors of a prequel involving Pym. But I'm not sure Marvel is into prequels. They tend make shared universe timelines messed up (look at Wolverine Origins).

I'm not sure an Ant-Man sequel is in the cards and I'm fine with that, even as a big fan. They did the character justice on the big screen and that's all that matters to me.

Continuity isn't exactly the strong suit of the X-Men franchise in general, but it doesn't have to be that way. That said I don't think that they will make a prequel but rather continue to develop the character that's important in the current time, if they make another movie.

I don't see how a prequel would mess up the continuity in the MCU.

I don't see how a prequel would mess up the continuity in the MCU.

Same here, Ant Man only gave us vague hints about Pym's past, nothing that couldn't be expanded upon certainly as it was mentioned he had many adventures as Ant Man himself.

I would love a prequel trilogy set in the late 70's and 80's. Here are some thoughts:

Call the films the Avengers Initiative

First film set in 1978-ish

Pym has already developed his ant-talking tech and just worked out the last kink on Pym Particles. He is a hermit and pacifist. He prefers his ants and science to people and their troubles. In comes a Jan van Dyne, a fashion model/designer who takes an interest in Pym. Pym isn't buying it and uses his suit to follow Jan and finds she is a SHIELD agent using fashion as a cover. Jan is there to recruit Pym to SHIELD but used the cover to get closer. Pym is recruited as a scientist but refuses to give up his tech to SHIELD. Because of this, it is decided Pym will retain his technology and be trained as a SHIELD operative by Jan. Because of his pacifism, Pym is difficult to work with but Jan is determined and works with him to put his abilities to use. Pym eventually loses his pacifism and beats the snot out of an evil-doer. It is decided more heroes would be needed to handle larger threats and protect Pym from himself.

I'm not familiar with the comics so villains are unknown. I kind of like the Tinkerer as a Pym confidant and mentor with Grizzly as his henchie. Suggestions welcome.

Problems: Jan is a supporting character. I would like to get her in a suit but Pym wouldn't trust her until after they have a relationship. The only way to fix this is to make Pym and Jan a couple from the outset. Jan as a bubbly, silly person is not leadership material. I don't think Pym would go for that personality anyway. This is personal preference but a tougher Jan, not too different than her daughter Hope, seems to me like the best use of the character.

Several years later...
Film #2 1983-ish

"There was an idea, Stark knows this. Called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they become something more. See if they can work together when we needed them to. To fight the battles that we never could."
-Nick Fury

"PHASE 2 isn't ready, our enemy is. We need a response team."
"The Avengers Initiative was shut down."

-Nick Fury and the World Security Council

Fury knows all so he would know of any past uses of superheroes by SHIELD. He would know their history and how they are necessary to preserving our way of life. But how would he know that a group of remarkable people would work? Well, he didn't but he had evidence that it could because Peggy Carter did it first.

The first Avengers team was formed after Jan van Dyne went to SHIELD leadership and urged a recruitment drive of powered people. With Director Peggy Carter's blessings, Jan van Dyne began identifying and recruiting powered individuals to combat threats that conventional soldiers can't. Jan van Dyne was the perfect choice to lead this group as she is an exceptional strategist and fighter working for SHIELD.

Van Dyne's first recruit is Hank Pym who calls himself Ant-Man. Pym does not want to share his technology with anyone fearing the nefarious use of his scientific achievement. Jan has been working with Pym since the first film. Trained by Jan, he can hold his own but prefers to avoid a fist-fight as he is prone to rage.

The second recruit is Union Jack. Growing up hearing tales of heroic feats performed by Captain America during WWII, James Falsworth's son Brian trains and hones his abilities to fight against those who would do the world harm. Carrying his trademark dagger and pistol, he is a deadly shot with any firearm. He is an exceptional athlete but not super in any way. His suit is bullet-proof and stab-proof after upgrades by Howard Stark. Brian Falsworth develops the alter-ego Union Jack and gets on SHIELD's radar after taking down a small HYDRA cell in Britain.

The third member was in a crate, locked away until Howard Stark reactivated him. The Human Torch is an android whom we first saw during the first Stark Expo. Stark bought the technology and has been working on perfecting it for 30 years. Torch is an android, but much more clunky than Vision. He is more robot than man and it shows. He can fly and control flame. He is strong but not indestructible. He takes orders. This is a dumbed down version of comics Torch. He can think a little but is limited by the tech of his time.

The fourth member would come in after the first group mission is a bit of a catastrophe. Jan van Dyne tried to coordinate the fight from distance but found that she needed to be more hands-on. Over the years working with Pym, Jan and Pym had grown close and married. After they married, Pym began work on a personal suit for Jan to join him. Pym named the suit Wasp and gave it to Jan. As undisputed leader, Jan decided the team needed a name and settled on the Avengers.

Who do they fight? I don't know. HYDRA guys or something. I imagine seeing a young Nick Fury as head of STRIKE. Howard Stark and Director Carter should be around. If HYDRA is the villain, the thrust of the story could be their infiltration of SHIELD meaning Zola would have a role. The Tinkerer could be recruited to SHIELD after the first film but he turns HYDRA too. Where's Winter Soldier? He's a ghost but he should be active, working against our heroes but avoiding direct confrontation.

The real problem I'm seeing with this is it doesn't give a lot of time to the development of these new characters before we see them together in action. I don't think we need to see Human Torch much, he's easy and everyone will get him, a short introduction will be all he needs. Union Jack could be cool and there is definitely a story there. Captain America inspired a lot of people, but why haven't we seen someone dress up and fight crime? Now we will!

Film #3 1989

We know the ending, in 1989 SHIELD sends Ant-Man and Wasp to intercept an ICBM headed for the United States. Jan goes sub-atomic during the mission and is lost in the sub-atomic world and presumed dead. Pym, in his grief, retires from being a superhero and ends his relationship with SHIELD.
The film starts with the team together, everything is dandy. Pym and Jan are married, Jan recently had a baby, Hope. HYDRA wants to eliminate our team, they are too much of a threat. HYDRA creates a trap with a missile drawing the Avengers in to destroy them. Human Torch is destroyed or severely broken, Union Jack takes down the HYDRA leader while Jan and Pym go to stop the missile where Jan "dies".
HYDRA set up the Avengers to fail. Jan, the leader is gone. Pym, her husband is distraught. Torch is scrap and Union Jack is left going "WTF". Fury could have been leading a STRIKE team on this missile base and saw how important this team was spurring him to resurrect the Avengers Initiative later when he was promoted to Director of SHIELD. Fury may be going WTF seeing the team destroyed.
This could be made into a HYDRA wins trilogy which would be completely different than anything else Marvel has done to date.
These are just ideas and a lot of bare bones. Obviously this is my idea so I like it and I hope others agree it would be fun to see something like this in the future.

The earliest that we could see a sequel would be 2017, which means they would have to push back Black Panther/Capt Marvel solo films again. I could see it happening if this was a 600m+ grosser like GOTG.. The possibility is still there because it performed in line with expectations but Marvel/Feige are probably more concerned with getting Phase 3 off the ground running starting with Dr. Strange.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Marvel isn't going to delay Captain Marvel, AGAIN.

They might want to do a prequel tv show but i doubt a movie. Who'd want to see another origin film for ant man but this ones different. But he wont be in the avengers because the ant man from the other film would be blah blah. Not going to happen.

Tv show, the audience could get their head around a bit. Like Agent Carter.

Last edited:
Really think this will get a sequel now. Hardly anyone had heard of Ant Man. You can say the same about Guardians but that was a space opera and we haven't had an exciting space opera in a while. Also the name was terrible

Now people know who Ant Man is. The majority loved the film as well. Hopefully we get some good bits in Civil War etc... Would love to see him shrink the hulk who then goes on a mini rampage.

Does anyone know what Marvel Studios plans to do when Evans and RDJ quit? Cause if they don't release Cap 4 or IM4 it will leave a huge void.

But if Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Inhumans and Dr. Strange make 550+ m then they are getting sequels. If Marvel also pushes through with Thor 4, Cap 4, and GotG3 it leaves little room for Ant-Man 2.

Does anyone know what Marvel Studios plans to do when Evans and RDJ quit? Cause if they don't release Cap 4 or IM4 it will leave a huge void.

But if Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Inhumans and Dr. Strange make 550+ m then they are getting sequels. If Marvel also pushes through with Thor 4, Cap 4, and GotG3 it leaves little room for Ant-Man 2.

If they do refuse to do anymore i'd guess that mcu will leave them in the wilderness for a couple of years then bring in new actors to replace them.

Although i can see them keep going for a while. There only seems to be blockbusters snd small indy movies these days. Evans and co can make their bread and butter with marvel and then go and do some indy stuff. Also think if evans is offered a director/actor role he'd do another cap film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"