• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So, what concepts will the comics borrow from TDK?

Ammo

Civilian
Reaction score
Should lead to an interesting discussion.

Isn't a new Batsuit on the way after RIP? I'd like to see the TDK batsuit in the comics. I like the explanations for how Batman's technology protects him...the best explanations I recall are from Hush.

I'd like to see the Tumbler and Batpod as well.

It's an interesting dilemma...TDK's Batman is the most familiar Batman in the eyes of the general public, and it would be smart if the comics didn't separate themselves from it too much.

i've seen some Dark Knight cartoons around the net... this one guy on the forum has a cartoonized heath ledger joker on his avatar.. i think his name is gotham but dunno if thats fan art or what...:brucebat:

I agree with Truertothecore, They need to stay separate.

If anything, they should just make a comic based off the movie, and leave it at that.

but really, i'm not sure if i want that either.

Though i'm pretty sure they're going to.

But...

What if fans of the movie want to get into the comic, but when they read the comic, they think to themselves "What the hell is this? This is nothing like the movie. This is NOT Batman..." Then get turned off and move away from it?

Just playing devil's advocate here. I remember when I took a class earlier this year on comics...the first graphic novel (or any comic book for that matter) I ever read was DKR and I thought it was awful because it wasn't Batman in my eyes. Batman was the Dini/Timm version of Batman to me cuz I remember watching TAS.

More people have seen TDK than have read the comics, it only makes business sense for comic book sales if they played off of the success of TDK.

Again, just playing devil's advocate. I know fans of the comics will hate hearing this.

The Joker will be drawn like Heath’s version in the comics. That’s inevitable. Every time a hugely successful film is released, the comics tend to correspond with the visuals of that film. It’s done for marketing purposes, to take advantage of the hype. Doc Ock was given a trench coat, the X-men were given black leather bodysuits, Joker was sketched to loosely resemble Jack Nicholson’s version. Know what the common denominator is? It’s always temporary! The dormant comic book version resurfaces a year or two later. He’s evolving, iconic, and everlasting, but staples will always remain the same. Even Nolan, with all his alterations, has great respect for the source material. That much is obvious. I don’t doubt he’d be disappointed to read derogatory comments aimed at the comic book version. Without it we wouldn’t even have films like the Dark Knight. Show a little respect. I’m not a Burton fan, I’m not a Nolan fan, I’m (first and foremost) a Batman fan. Batman is from comics books, every other medium is an imitation. Isn’t that how we sort out the true fans from the bandwagon followers; the comics? Archetypal Joker has bleached skin. This is just Nolan’s interpretation…comics book Joker is the Joker. Get used to it, he‘s not going anywhere. The comics can never cave to the films. It’s the other way around.

The chelsea grin has already been incorporated into the comics, but I doubt the eye-shadow and make-up will make it through the transition.

I'm actually hoping that some of the better things about the Nolan movies stick. I really like the reality tone and feel of the movies. I understand that the comics are different but I would like to see more of a middle ground.

I would also like to see Batman go a little more tech. That doesn't mean that I want Battle-Pope Batman but just more gadgets.

Another thing is that I would want a rich, complex Bruce Wayne/ Batman and not some 1D jerk that doesn't get along with anyone. Loeb and Brubaker get him right and very few others now-a-days.

I definately think some artists (at least on side project Batman work) will adopt some of the Joker features. Nothing too hardcore, just maybe the clothing and hairstyle. There's already been a few issues of Batman that came out just after Batman Begins that showed the cave full of all of the Batmobiles including all of the movie cars as well as the tumbler.

I think it's probable that we will see minor changes in the comic art as artists are influenced by TDK.

I understand that the comics are comics and movies are movies and to a certain extent they should be kept seperate but let's face it... Everyone has their own way of drawing the main characters and artwork ranging from Silver Age Batman to Modern Batman to that weird Arkham Asylum book art are all equally valid.

All of the artists will draw the characters and backgrounds and the world differently and there's nothing wrong with that. It's why I can like Kelley's art just as much as Alex Ross' art. It's why immediately after B89 we started to see an "all-black" version of the suit pop up. It's why the comics will change for a while after TDK. Nothing is static or stagnant and it is always subject to change without notice.

I'm actually hoping that some of the better things about the Nolan movies stick. I really like the reality tone and feel of the movies. I understand that the comics are different but I would like to see more of a middle ground.

I would also like to see Batman go a little more tech. That doesn't mean that I want Battle-Pope Batman but just more gadgets.

Another thing is that I would want a rich, complex Bruce Wayne/ Batman and not some 1D jerk that doesn't get along with anyone. Loeb and Brubaker get him right and very few others now-a-days.

Hopefully

Don't forget about Dini too...he has a great pulse on Bruce/Batman.

When Nolan is done with his run I'd love to see Loeb or Dini get a shot and writing the movies.

I think that comic writers should write comics and movie makers should make movies. Some people are talented at both jobs and they can do both but I think sticking Dini or Brubaker in a movie environment would lead to failure.

I think that comic writers should write comics and movie makers should make movies. Some people are talented at both jobs and they can do both but I think sticking Dini or Brubaker in a movie environment would lead to failure.

Why?

Dini's written successful movies and TV shows.

Visually the comics might begin to borrow more from TDK. but Morrison and Dini are supposed to be on their titles for at least another year and I don't really see them picking much up from the film. Confidential already covered TDK territory in Lovers & Madmen.

in my mind the Jokers Asylum issue is already a sort of a TDK book

Why?

Dini's written successful movies and TV shows.

Dini's written/produced animated stuff which in my opinion differs from live action stuff. And he worked on LOST which again, in my opinion, blows big chunks of vomit. ;)

I take back that all comic writers in a movie environment would lead to failure. What I really mean is that their work runs the high risk of failure associated with doing a job that you are not prepared for... Again I think some writers of comics are prepared to be movie writers as well, but I think that people should know their limitations and stick to a particular field of interest and stay there.

Personally I think that Loeb's work on comics since he's ventured into the television industry has suffered. Then again Heroes is a hit and so are his comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"