So, why are we still paying 60 dollars for games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, it's a comparison of my entertainment dollars. If I go to a movie, it's around $10 and if i buy popcorn and a soda its well over $20 for 2-3 hours of fun. Diablo 3 has given me 100s of hours for $60. I would always get over 100 hours per calendar year out of the college football games which is why I bought them every year.

No one is making anyone pay $60 for a game. No one has a gun to your head. Wait for a price drop or buy a used copy or both or borrow it from a friend or whatever.

Perhaps, though I do find that popcorn and soda at the movies comically overpriced and I don't think that even someone like Tron would disagree with me on that (I could be wrong). And perhaps even ticket prices, though that's more debatable.

I do think that some games are worth 60 dollars. But all?

Well, if the universal reaction to this is "shut up and pay 60 dollars", then I guess I have my answer. People are frivolous.

Perhaps, though I do find that popcorn and soda at the movies comically overpriced and I don't think that even someone like Tron would disagree with me on that (I could be wrong). And perhaps even ticket prices, though that's more debatable.

Well, if the universal reaction to this is "shut up and pay 60 dollars", then I guess I have my answer. People are frivolous.

:whatever:

Made it up myself as far as know.

I honestly don't understand how you took what he said in that way.

Smart people demand more bang for their buck. This notion that games are intrinsically worth 60 dollars seems to come from the fact that a lot of people will just buy them without a thought.

Course, the end result of this is games like Destiny. Where the publisher tries to get as much money out of customers and giving them the least amount of content.

I suppose I should be happy they're not going for 80.

Smart people demand more bang for their buck. This notion that games are intrinsically worth 60 dollars seems to come from the fact that a lot of people will just buy them without a thought.

Course, the end result of this is games like Destiny.

Wow...lol, just wow.

Popcorn and soda are overpriced at the movies, but to me it's part of the experience of going to the movie theater. Same with getting a couple hot dogs at a baseball game.

No one said every game was worth $60, but there are different games for different people. I love the Lego games and am willing to pay full price for them and for added content too. I can't play first person games without getting nauseous so It doesn't matter how good Skyrim or Call of Duty or whatever is, I'm not going to spend any money on it. There's certain sports games I'll pay for and get my money out of and others I avoid like the plague, because I suck at them.

The reason movie food is so high priced is because that's where the cinemas make the majority of their profits. The money they make from ticket sales is minimal in comparison to what they make off popcorn and hotdogs.

I don't mind paying $60 for a game if it's a game I think I'm going to get $60 worth of playtime out of. Most games I'm happy to wait until they're in the bargain bin though.

I've also mentioned this before, but video game prices world wide are ridiculous, and North America is actually on the cheaper end of the spectrum. In my own home country of New Zealand, for example, a new video game will be a minimum of US$77, with an increasingly common price point of US$92.00. Other countries have it even worse.

Course, the end result of this is games like Destiny. Where the publisher tries to get as much money out of customers and giving them the least amount of content.

I get annoyed with the Destiny comments because: myself and thousands of others have put hundreds of hours in this game. It's a blast for us, but I understand that is not the case for everyone. How much do you think a game is worth when millions went into it's production? Again, maybe you feel it's lacking, but that's why we have the internet for reviews and comments on the matter. Then, when the price goes down and the makers have made some of their money back, you can get it cheaper.

Why should I pay more than a buck for a Final Fantasy game? The concept alone bores the hell out of me especially in turn based games. Why am I paying 60 dollars for a game I play turns on? (I've never played one, just a counterpoint).

The fact of the matter is you should pay 60 bucks when you feel it is worth it. If you don't, you don't HAVE to buy anything, no?

He's probably a self made billionaire since he's so much smarter than the masses who would be so stupid to pay full price for games or buy popcorn at the movie's

The last game I paid more than $60 for was the LE edition of MGS IV back in 2008

He's probably a self made billionaire since he's so much smarter than the masses who would be so stupid to pay full price for games or buy popcorn at the movie's

Well, no. I do grudgingly buy popcorn. Can't sneak it in. Though I draw the line at 5 dollar cola.

But I am smarter than the masses. Even you are.

:lmao: I don't get why he is so upset at what prices OTHER people are willing to pay. Like why does he care? Also nobody is forcing him holding a gun to his head to buy a $60 video game. This thread is just a lot of lolz haha

:lmao: I don't get why he is so upset at what prices OTHER people are willing to pay. Like why does he care? Also nobody is forcing him holding a gun to his forcing him to buy a $60 video game. This thread is just a lot of lolz haha

Because if every idiot happily pays that without complaint, the price will stay the same.

Basic economics. Demand more, get more.

Demand less, get Destiny. No standards.

Have your laugh, enjoy your first day DLC, and AAA games with minimal content.

If nothing else, I got my answer in this thread.

I get annoyed with the Destiny comments because: myself and thousands of others have put hundreds of hours in this game. It's a blast for us, but I understand that is not the case for everyone. How much do you think a game is worth when millions went into it's production? Again, maybe you feel it's lacking, but that's why we have the internet for reviews and comments on the matter. Then, when the price goes down and the makers have made some of their money back, you can get it cheaper.

Why should I pay more than a buck for a Final Fantasy game? The concept alone bores the hell out of me especially in turn based games. Why am I paying 60 dollars for a game I play turns on? (I've never played one, just a counterpoint).

The fact of the matter is you should pay 60 bucks when you feel it is worth it. If you don't, you don't HAVE to buy anything, no?

Destiny is lacking.

Destiny is everything wrong with the gaming industry encapsulated. And I don't even think I'm in the minority saying that. Well, possibly here, but if you look at the reviews, that is pretty much a universal complaint.

It's glorified free to play game being masqueraded as a full game.

But yes, market does dictate price in the end, but it still seems idiotic to automatically price every game at 60 dollars.

Why did you buy Destiny then? Why did you buy the DLC?

Why did you buy Destiny then? Why did you buy the DLC?

I got the bundle (which actually made it 50, and not 60). Fortunately it was defective. Got my money back. Dodged a bullet.

I won't lie. I, like most people, expected Destiny to be a great game. Worth 60 dollars. 500 million dollar budget (marketing, I guess) talented actors, and Bungie. Freaking Bungie. What could go wrong?

And what did we get? The most disappointing game since... I don't know. Sonic the Hedgehog '06?

I suppose I could always get a Steam Box.

I'm curious what it is you envisioned this thread to actually be. Did you just kind of expect everyone to circle jerk around the idea that games are generally not worth $60, while fist pumping and screaming "Damn the Man!" Because it seems like when people told you the why, it just became about how people who buy games at full price are stupid, and now ****ting on things you don't really like and devaluing how other's view value of said thing. I honestly don't get what it is you are trying to cultivate with all this.

I felt Destiny was a waste of my free game when I got it with my Xbox One. Then I put 100 hours plus into it. That being said, the DLC stuff is a crime.

I'm curious what it is you envisioned this thread to actually be. Did you just kind of expect everyone to circle jerk around the idea that games are generally not worth $60, while fist pumping and screaming "Damn the Man!" Because it seems like when people told you the why, it just became about how people who buy games at full price are stupid, and now ****ting on things you don't really like and devaluing how other's view value of said thing. I honestly don't get what it is you are trying to cultivate with all this.
Yeah, it feels like he simply made this thread to complain and hope people would agree with him. Odd really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"