World Sony considering developing Spider-Verse Spin-Offs for TV

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Sony give Marvel back the rights for Spider-Man TV animation? Has something changed that I'm not aware of?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Sony give Marvel back the rights for Spider-Man TV animation? Has something changed that I'm not aware of?
No, just like FOX, they'd have to go to Disney to get their seal of approval.
I'm all for it since Disney are not at all trying to get the best talent nor putting in the budget for a decent Marvel toon.

I'm all for it since Disney are not at all trying to get the best talent nor putting in the budget for a decent Marvel toon.

This, especially the last part!

Another awesome benefit of Spider-Verse, that outlook is most likely going to change now, especially for the new service.

Either way, awesome news here. I look forward to a Lord and Miller Spider-Ham series.

Another awesome benefit of Spider-Verse, that outlook is most likely going to change now, especially for the new service.

Either way, awesome news here. I look forward to a Lord and Miller Spider-Ham series.

Spider-Ham would be awesome! Noir and Peni could be fun too! Full of possibilities!

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah if there's one thing I think many can agree on it's Disney's lack of effort with their animated Marvel shows. Both Ultimate and Marvel's Spider-Man were duds.

Lord and Miller heading up a series of tv shows...now, this has potential.

Does this mean all along it could have been on the table for Sony to ask Marvel about doing their own cartoons or might this be a more recent development given their easier relationship? I mean, I don't see why there can't be multiple Spidey shows at the same time if in 2018 he was in 2 major motion picture successes. In the early 80s he had 2 different cartoons airing at the same time, in the late 70s he was on the Electric Company and in his own live action show, and in a show in Japan. I don't think it matters that much, especially given Marvel's current Spidey show is going by the wayside when it finishes up its run soon.

But for real though, couldn't Sony possibly go through some tape to revive any of their past Spidey shows?

Does this mean all along it could have been on the table for Sony to ask Marvel about doing their own cartoons or might this be a more recent development given their easier relationship? I mean, I don't see why there can't be multiple Spidey shows at the same time if in 2018 he was in 2 major motion picture successes. In the early 80s he had 2 different cartoons airing at the same time, in the late 70s he was on the Electric Company and in his own live action show, and in a show in Japan. I don't think it matters that much, especially given Marvel's current Spidey show is going by the wayside when it finishes up its run soon.

But for real though, couldn't Sony possibly go through some tape to revive any of their past Spidey shows?

That’s a good question! Hoping this works out, considering this works out!

Don’t think any previous shows would get revived, but I would do anything to see Spectacular Spider-Man come back!

I was really confused by New York Times writing this. Sony has no say or control in Spider-Man on TV and they haven't since Spectacular Spider-Man. Marvel controls all the Spider-Man TV rights. They couldn't do that without Marvel's approval. Here's what the article says:

Now that Fox has been sold, only Disney and Sony have rights to make Marvel-related film and television content.

Now I could be absolutely wrong, but as far as I know, Sony has 0 rights regarding Marvel related TV content. And the Fox sale hasn't changed that at all.

Like many, I would be overjoyed at a return of TSSM. However, I don't think it's as simple as just asking, "hey, can we do this?"

I was watching a vid on Youtube of the Sac-Con 10th anniversary panel of TSSM which was just Weisman and Cook answering fan questions for about an hour. One fan asked what's the possibility of the show returning. Weisman answered...and basically it's more complex than you would think. They'd have to get all their lawyers to hash out the legalities of a contract which takes time and money. Now as Weisman pointed out, Sony and Marvel did this with the MCU and Homecoming but it was also for something that was gonna end up making like a billion dollars. That's versus an animated show that won't end up making anywhere near that kind of profit. In his view, it doesn't make sense logistically to put in that effort with a much smaller return. When they can simply just make a new Spidey toon.

I was really confused by New York Times writing this. Sony has no say or control in Spider-Man on TV and they haven't since Spectacular Spider-Man. Marvel controls all the Spider-Man TV rights. They couldn't do that without Marvel's approval. Here's what the article says:

Now I could be absolutely wrong, but as far as I know, Sony has 0 rights regarding Marvel related TV content. And the Fox sale hasn't changed that at all.

I was under the same impression. So even to make animated shows based on characters from a Sony production, they still need to work out a deal with Marvel and get permission.

Hopefully, Sony pushes ahead with this because Disney's animated Marvel TV shows are nothing short of a disgrace. My beloved Spectacular Spider-Man (Sony) and Avengers: EMH were canceled in favor of terrible Disney Spider-Man and Avengers shows.

Hopefully, Sony pushes ahead with this because Disney's animated Marvel TV shows are nothing short of a disgrace. My beloved Spectacular Spider-Man (Sony) and Avengers: EMH were canceled in favor of terrible Disney Spider-Man and Avengers shows.

:up:

Has anyone seen the very most recent Spider-Man show? I haven't, but I can say that Black Panther's Quest is a very solid show. I also liked Marvel Rising quite a bit (with maybe one scene that annoyed me in it). So I'd argue their animation has actually improved recently. But, once again, I can't speak for the new Spider-Man show.

Has anyone seen the very most recent Spider-Man show? I haven't, but I can say that Black Panther's Quest is a very solid show. I also liked Marvel Rising quite a bit (with maybe one scene that annoyed me in it). So I'd argue their animation has actually improved recently. But, once again, I can't speak for the new Spider-Man show.
From what I heard the latest Spider-man show is trash, at least for the first season. Honesty every time I see a clip of Marvel's latest animated shows I just feel disappointed, just very obviously poor storytelling.

Inside Mike Hopkins’ Fiercely Independent Strategy for Sony Pictures Television

The Sony team is in the midst of figuring out how best to exploit its intellectual property across the film and television groups. And not just for its crown jewel, “Spider-Man,” but also in areas where it has a potential competitive advantage, such as its access to IP from PlayStation and Sony Music.

That said, the studio is aware of its association with one of the most popular Marvel characters of all time. So look for more amazing adventures of the web-slinger to populate not just theaters but TV screens.

“We have the next seven or eight years laid out as to what we’re going to do with that asset, and that will not only be on the film side — it’ll be on the TV side,” says Vinciquerra. “Our television group will have its own set of characters from within that universe that we will seek to develop.”

Sony is essentially internally auditioning its more than 900 Spider-Man-adjacent characters, to which it has attached the moniker Sony’s Universe of Marvel Characters.

According to Hopkins, the team is “pretty far down the road in terms of working through which characters we think could be their own star of a series.”

Disney has long been drawing from the Marvel well. With its absorption of 21st Century Fox, the Burbank-based giant will soon have “Fantastic Four” and “X-Men,” leaving Sony as the only studio rival with licensing rights to Marvel characters.

“We’re developing a lot of Marvel-related content, and I think we’ll be out in the market very soon with something really, really big and transformational for us, because we’ve not done any shows with Marvel before, with Marvel IP,” says Hopkins. “So that’s a big piece of development that we’re onto.”

I think Marvel has the animated rights for making a tv series ,which explains why we never seen why Marvel never made a Spider-Man DTV.

Sony's Reportedly Planning A Spider-Ham TV Show

Awesome, if true!

Where do the Spidey television rights stand now then? Did Sony somehow wrangle them all back again? Is it similar to the movies where they are trying a kind of sharing the rights deal? I am interested to see what they could do on TV with the Spidey canvas, Spider-Verse was one of the best Spidey media projects there's ever been.

Live action spin off shows? Very interesting and am looking forward to see more news develop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"