Sequels It's been three strikes now. Why is Sony involved with this franchise?

I'm not the biggest fan of the last three movies, but I don't see why people insist on blaming the studio, as if the bad creative decisions came from the Sony CEO himself. The franchise could be burdened by bad writers in any other studio. Don't chop off the tree, chop off the branch. Make the suitable trimmings in your creative team and that's that.

I don't think TASM was a strike at all.

Not that the movie doesn't have fans, but it was way more divisive than it needed to be. It's just not an ideal situation, and the diminished interest in TASM2 arguably proved that.

As a die-hard Spider-Man fan, watching ASM 2, I actually felt like the writers and filmmakers were making fun of me. Like they were saying "Yeah, we can totally write stupid **** like "You can't make me die more" and "I AM RHINO" and those stupid fanboys will totally eat it up". It was honestly the biggest piece of insulting trash I'd ever had to watch. It broke my heart to see my favorite character get treated like crap because the team of hacks behind it have no idea what they're doing. Webb has failed miserably twice.

The first time he made it dark and gritty, which is the complete opposite of what Spider-Man should be and the second time he made the Spider-Man equivalent of a Joel Schumacher Batman movie. ASM 1 and ASM 2 feel like they take place it two completely different worlds.

Amazing Spider-Man 1, which still completely sucks, still has a redeeming quality and that is that it takes itself seriously. In ASM 2 it was like they weren't even trying. Foxx, Dane, and Giamatti all delivered horrendous and laughably bad performances. It's full of some of the worst writing I'd ever witness in a motion picture. Cluttered, messy, silly, horrendously paced and just full of stupid ideas. Can't forget to mention that they completely botched the execution of what should have been one of the most epic moments in CBM history with
Gwen's death (it was forced, anti-climatic and done just plain wrong).

Webb needs to stick to cheesy music videos and romantic comedies. Because he doesn't know a damn thing about Spider-Man.

REBOOT PLEASE.

At least Roberto Orci is no longer involved. He's one of the most overrated writers in Hollywood.

I quit reading after that...so you pretty much failed with your first sentence. TASM2 not corny. LOLllllllllllllllllllllllll

Never said TASM2 wasn't corny, especially Jaime Foxx's awful performance (I'll never understand why he was cast, he sucks period). But it's not as corny as Raimi's 3 movies. Not even close. These two movies are both better than anything Raimi did in my opinion and I don't care if anyone agrees because it's based on my tastes as a fan, not anyone elses. Everyone has different tastes, personally I thought the first trilogy was mostly garbage starring two of the most annoying actors in Hollywood (McGuire/Dunst). Either one of them alone is annoying enough but the two together, with bad writing for their relationship story arch and it became nails on a chalkboard for me and Spiderman 3 is just an all out abomination. But to each their own.

Last edited:
If Spider-Man was at Marvel... we'd probably get a Spider-Man series on Netflix, and it'd be the greatest thing of all time. They could tie in Donofrio's Kingpin, and with the Netflix format, they could really do justice to all of Spider-Man's villains. Spidey has the second best rogues gallery in comics, a tv show would be the perfect place to showcase all those amazing characters.

If Spider-Man was on Netflix, the budget would probably be massive, but it'd totally pay off...man thinking about this just bums me out. Sony needs to lose the rights

If I were marvel, would I make a movie that could earn millions, or a netflix series that the general public would never see?

The last 3 Spider-Man movies were all disappointing to me. But SM3 and TASM did decent business.

Spider-Man 3 was disappointing, but I think the two Amazing Spider-Man movies were even worse. I think the reboot has been a disaster so far.

I wish they would just leave the Spider-Man movies for a few years and then reboot again.

I don't really understand the dislike for the first film? TASM2 I get, but I thought TASM was a solid film, and was up there with the best spider-man movies.

If I were marvel, would I make a movie that could earn millions, or a netflix series that the general public would never see?

Honestly, A Netflix series that lasted awhile would be Marvel's best option at the moment. The way the movie series is going right now, Marvel would be best to just sit on it for 5-10 years, then make a movie. Distancing itself from Sony's movies would be better off IMO.

Doesn't Disney already have TV rights for Spiderman? What's stopping them from doing a TV show right now?

I don't really understand the dislike for the first film? TASM2 I get, but I thought TASM was a solid film, and was up there with the best spider-man movies.

Peter is a *****ebag idiot, goomba hulk lizard was poorly written and rushed, as was Peter and Gwen ' s 'relationship' and it tried to be dark and gritty while a goomba hulk crawled out of a toilet.

A solid film but miles behind SM1&2

Last edited:
If the deal is the same as with the X-Men, then Sony would have a lockout provision that would force Marvel to get them to approve of it.

Personally, I think Spider-Man is too effects heavy (ie. expensive) to do a proper television version regardless.

The real answer is obviously money, but as someone who loves the character I wish Sony would give up the rights. The producers have spent the past few years sabotaging what was once a fun and acclaimed franchise. At this point, I wouldn't trust them to assemble a strong creative team, nor would I trust them to allow the freedom to work.

Doesn't Disney already have TV rights for Spiderman? What's stopping them from doing a TV show right now?

Peter is a *****ebag idiot, goomba hulk lizard was poorly written and rushed, as was Peter and Gwen ' s 'relationship' and it tried to be dark and gritty while a goomba hulk crawled out of a toilet.

A solid film but miles behind SM1&2

Whoa there. Quite stong words of opinion you state as fact. Peter and Gwen's relationship is considered one of the bests in comic book movies or I should say was :'( And as said multiple times it wasn't dark or gritty, it was grounded and imo had the best tone of any Spider-man movie. Have you ever read The Ultimate Comics? If not read some and then rewatch it.

People wanting the rights to go back to Disney need to watch Thor 2. Seriously, or watch The Ultimate Spider-man to see what they'd do to Spidey and are doing

Thor 2 is better than any Spider-Man film since SM2.

I disagree, then again I was severely disappointed in that movie so that could be clouding my vision, but then again TASM 1 is one of my favorite cbms sooo theres that too

I didn't particularly like Thor 2 either but it was still better than anything Sony has offered recently. I have 100% more faith in Marvel right now, even after the disheartening Ant-Man developments.

even if you didn't like TAS 1-2

how would it be 3 strikes? after they rebooted wouldn't the strike count start over?

even if you didn't like TAS 1-2 (which is based on your opinion)

how would it be 3 strikes? after they rebooted wouldn't the strike count started over?

Why would it? Same studio, same producers, same mistakes. 3 strikes.

Sony has made 5 straight Spider-Man movies. Some didn't like the last 3. They're talking about it as a whole.

Why would it? Same studio, same producers, same mistakes. 3 strikes.
do the strikes from the last batter (on the same team,with the same coach) count towards the next up to bat?

Sony is the batter. They had 2 balls the first time up....then they had three strikes the rest of the at bat and struck out. How is that hard to understand? :huh:

its not...

I am just saying the reboot (rather if its the same studio or not) was a change in batters

basically the point is SM3 counted as 3 strikes it self, and an out for that batter, then came in a new batter

I hate sport metaphors

-Personally, I want Sony to keep the rights to Spider-man films mainly because Marvel Studios wouldn't have time to properly handle a Spider-man franchise, much less the possible Venom series Sony is/was planning. What would be great is if Marvel could get involved in the process, with Sony actually making the movie but Marvel Studios functioning as "quality control" in place of Avi and his cohorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"