World Sony considering developing Spider-Verse Spin-Offs for TV

‘Spider-Man’ Universe TV Series Coming Together Says Chris Miller – Deadline

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verseexecutive producer Chris Miller can’t talk yet about the upcoming suite of TV series based on the Marvel characters that Sony controls, but he’s got a plan of how it is all going to work.

“We are developing a handful of live-action shows using Sony’s Marvel characters, of which there are like 900 characters,” the Bless the Harts EP told Deadline on Wednesday at TCA about the top secret project(s). “We’re figuring out a way to develop the shows so that each are their own unique experience but are also related.”

While Miller wouldn’t confirm the stories were going to be drawn from the Spider-Man canon, he made it clear that element of the big overall deal with Sony Pictures TV he and Phil Lord have is a hot ticket in town.

“We’ve been talking to a lot of potential teammates for trying to do something not like anything else that’s been done on television,” Miller teased as he weaved away from being pinned down on Netflixor anyone else. “It’ll be a little while before it all comes together and is on the air, but I think it is going to be something really special,” he added with a literal wink.

“Hopefully we’ll know in the next few months where it’ll be and what the schedule will be,” was all Miller would say when asked whether the eventual destination for the multi-pronged projects could be Netflix.

who knows. Almost any character can be updated, remixed with an interesting hook. So it just depends on who the creatives want to settle on and how they want to go from there.
My pitch for an idea that has "no chance" but could still be intriguing if done right, is a crime drama with Joe Robertson as a slightly younger reporter (mid-late 30s, Randy is about 8-9), no superheroes (yet), and Jonah is part of the supporting cast. If the producers insist on a "meta hero" angle, my pick would be Hector Ayala the first white tiger. In the comics it seemed like they retconned him to being quite a bit older by the time he died. here he could be a mostly shadowy, whispered hero in East Harlem.
Jonah here would be another actor (blasphemy!) and he would be less over the top as he is in the comics and movies. He would still have components of being a reactionary and egotism, but Robbie's reporting and personality, challenging Jonah, are part of the series tension.
Like I said, no chance, but just my fun random fan idea.

Sounds great. I'm also very curious about who's platform these shows end up at.

who knows. Almost any character can be updated, remixed with an interesting hook. So it just depends on who the creatives want to settle on and how they want to go from there.
My pitch for an idea that has "no chance" but could still be intriguing if done right, is a crime drama with Joe Robertson as a slightly younger reporter (mid-late 30s, Randy is about 8-9), no superheroes (yet), and Jonah is part of the supporting cast. If the producers insist on a "meta hero" angle, my pick would be Hector Ayala the first white tiger. In the comics it seemed like they retconned him to being quite a bit older by the time he died. here he could be a mostly shadowy, whispered hero in East Harlem.
Jonah here would be another actor (blasphemy!) and he would be less over the top as he is in the comics and movies. He would still have components of being a reactionary and egotism, but Robbie's reporting and personality, challenging Jonah, are part of the series tension.
Like I said, no chance, but just my fun random fan idea.

I remember reading a little short story involving J.Jonah Jameson in the comics at one point that lasted for I think 2-3 issues. Marvel used to do little short anthology stories after the main one time to time doing something low key and unexpected.

I think little short films similar to what Marvel Studio's used to do Sony should maybe try with some of their films; a fun nod to fans if nothing else.

Overall, who the partners are and what platform the shows will be shown on I think are key factors before making a claim it'll be different before anything else but I am hoping for the best. Spider-Man has been a huge corner of Marvel Publishing over the years and if Sony is successful on this, it'll be fun.

Sony Pictures Chief on Spider-Man Split: ‘For the Moment the Door is Closed’

The studio is in production on a second “Venom” film, a picture based on the character Morbius and “five or six” TV series set in the Spider-Man world. The Sony boss bullishly expressed his belief that the character will do “just fine” outside of the MCU, pointing to the success of “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” and the Sony-Amazon series “The Boys” as evidence that Sony is fully capable of hitting the mark on the superhero front.

Amazon In Talks For Sony’s Suite Of TV Series Featuring Marvel Characters, Led By ‘Silk’ – Deadline

Sony’ long-in-the-works “suite” of TV series based on Marvel characters controlled by the studio, is getting closer to reality.

I hear Sony is in talks with Amazon to be the SVOD distributor of the high-profile package of shows, which includes multiple titles. The first title, which was identified by Sony Pictures TV about a year ago and had been in development at the studio, is Silk. Lauren Moon, a writer on Sony TV’s Netflix series Atypical, wrote the TV adaptation based on the Korean American comic book superhero, created by Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos.

Sources close to the situation caution that the complex talks are still in early stages and there are major issues that need to be resolved. Some of them have to do with a complicated web of multi-platform rights for the various characters. Noone would comment but I hear the proposed suite of Marvel series is expected to land on a linear platform first before heading to Amazon for streaming.

In April 2019, Sony TV signed a mega deal with the Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse’s Phil Lord and Chris Miller, which included the duo overseeing the suite of TV series based on Sony’s Universe of Marvel characters.

The suite approach is similar to the unprecedented at the time sale of four Marvel series and a limited series by Marvel TV to Netflix, which was led byDaredevil.

The series package based on Marvel characters has been a big priority for Sony, whose toppers have spoken about it on earnings calls. As part a deal that predates Disney’s acquisition of Marvel, Sony controls hundreds of Marvel characters, led by Spider-Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"