Sony making Marvel's "Gargoyle" movie!

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
Just noticed a little surprise in the new Marvel Pulse newsletter. Gargoyle is actually an awesome story/concept. Marvel's been pushing this for years to be made and it looks like Sony might have given up on Luke Cage and got the Gargoyle rights in it's place! Good. I'd rather have Sony develop Gargoyle and let Marvel work on Luke Cage.

Lights, Camera, Super-Action!

Our heroes are in their make-up and movie trailers practicing their lines as they get ready for their big roles on the silver screen. Below is a run-down of the slated projects that are starting to snowball—might want to wear your ski-goggles for the blizzard of upcoming action.

Studio Financed Films

Production
Ghost Rider – Sony, Feb. '07
Spider-Man 3 - Sony, May '07
Fantastic Four 2 – Fox, June '07

Development
Deathlok - Paramount
Gargoyle - Sony
Magneto - Fox
Namor - Universal
The Punisher 2 - Lions Gate
Wolverine – Fox

Self-Financed Films

Iron Man
Release date - May 2, 2008
Distributed by Paramount
Director - JON FAVREAU (Made, Elf, Zathura)
Production Designer – J. MICHAEL RIVA (Spider-Man 3, Zathura)
VFX Supervisor – JOHN NELSON (I Robot, The Matrix 2, 3, Academy Award winner for Gladiator)
Director of Photography – MATTHEW LIBATIQUE (Inside Man, Requiem for A Dream)

The Incredible Hulk
Distributed by Universal
Director: Louis Leterrier (Unleashed, Transporter 2)
Writer: Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand, X2: X-Men Men United, Last Action Hero)

Ant-Man
Distributed by Paramount
Director: Edgar Wright (Shaun of The Dead)

Captain America
Distributed by Paramount
Writer: David Self (Road to Perdition, Thirteen Days)

Nick Fury
Distributed by Paramount
Writer: Andrew Marlowe (Air Force One, Hollow Man, End of Days)

Thor
Distributed by Paramount
Writer: Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, The Cell)

The Avengers
Distributed by Paramount
Writer: Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, X-Men: The Last Stand, X2: X-Men Men United, Last Action Hero)

Animation

Direct-to-DVD
Ultimate Avengers 2 - Released 8/8/06
Iron Man - In production
Doctor Strange - In production
Teen Avengers - Development

TV Series
Fantastic Four - In production
Wolverine and the X-Men - Pre-production
Iron Man - Development
Spider-Man – Development

I guess Columbia/Sony has had this for awhile but it's not the kind of project Marvel would use their facility for:

March 16, 2003: From Variety thanks also to Creature-Corner.com:

Columbia Pictures is aiming for yet another Marvel Entertainment franchise, hiring "Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones" scribe Jonathan Hales to adapt the long-dormant comicbook "The Gargoyle." The deal is described as earning Hales a mid-six-figure sum for the script and a salary in the low-seven figures if the film gets made. Hales, who also penned "The Scorpion King" for Universal Pictures, said his script has "actually very little connection" with the Marvel comic book's storyline. The original was penned by J.M. DeMatteis and drawn by Mark Badger, and was published in a limited series from June through September 1985. It followed a human soul trapped within a Gargoyle's form. Reached at his home in London, Hales described his script as "a mother/son tale" about a young, imaginative boy who spends much of his free time talking to a gargoyle statue on top of his apartment building. This gargoyle comes to life when a 100-year-old curse is lifted, and it begins a hunt for the talisman that will return it to permanent flesh-and-blood form. Marvel CEO Avi Arad is in final negotiations to produce the film at Sony's Columbia Pictures, with plans being hatched to bring another, as-yet-undisclosed Sony-based producer aboard.

Here's the synopsis:

The tale of a young, imaginative boy who spends his free time talking to a stone gargoyle statue on top of his apartment building. The gargoyle comes to life when a 100-year-old curse is lifted, and it sets out on a quest with the boy in search of a talisman that will return it to permanent flesh-and-blood form.

gargoyle_cbm.jpg

It definitely has that B-movie sound to it. I wonder if Sony can somehow get Sam Raimi involved because it sounds like a movie that he'd be especially good at adapting.

This is that old guy cursed to forever be a Gargoyle. Dear lord I hate that character in the comics let alone on screen.

Advanced Dark said:
Just noticed a little surprise in the new Marvel Pulse newsletter. Gargoyle is actually an awesome story/concept. Marvel's been pushing this for years to be made and it looks like Sony might have given up on Luke Cage and got the Gargoyle rights in it's place! Good. I'd rather have Sony develop Gargoyle and let Marvel work on Luke Cage.

I think John Singleton production company is working on Luke Cage, so Sony pretty much has a hands off approach at this point...kind alike they did for Ghost Rider for a while. It would seem that Tyrese has been prepping for the role, and we'd hope for a 2006 film, but that's not going to happen. Singleton has had a string of strong films out over the past 3 years, so chances are, he's got some "clout" in the bank to get this film made.

It'll be interesting to see how they play out the Gargoyle story...more horror or action?

Hiruu said:
I think John Singleton production company is working on Luke Cage, so Sony pretty much has a hands off approach at this point...kind alike they did for Ghost Rider for a while. It would seem that Tyrese has been prepping for the role, and we'd hope for a 2006 film, but that's not going to happen. Singleton has had a string of strong films out over the past 3 years, so chances are, he's got some "clout" in the bank to get this film made.

It'll be interesting to see how they play out the Gargoyle story...more horror or action?

That's what I thought but if you noticed Luke Cage is now "OFF" the new list & Gargoyle is back on it. Rights swap?

Edit: I was also thinking this Gargoyle film would be a perfect 3d CGI film ala Monster House.

are they basing it of the animated series....

they should!!!

I think you're thinking of "Gargoyles"; not the same thing.

Chris Wallace said:
I think you're thinking of "Gargoyles"; not the same thing.

:( :down:mad:

That would make an awesome set of epic movies...........

Sony has had the rights to Gargolye for quite a while. They didn't swap the rights of Luke Cage for Gargolye.

I realized that later however Luke Cage has been dropped from the list and Gargoyle WAS dropped from the list 12 months ago. It's just funny on the same day they swapped on the list.

Sorry but I'm not interested. Marvel should stick to the mainstream

Chris Wallace said:
Don't see how that's relevant here.

I see the relevance, because I am an arteest.

*snaps fingers.

War Lord said:
Where's my DBZ movie?

In the toy box, where they keep the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh stuff, and all those other kid movies.

The Joker said:
In the toy box, where they keep the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh stuff, and all those other kid movies.

Sort of like Transformers and Ninja Turtles?

DBZ isn't really a toy franchise by the way, although I'm sure some action figures exist. Anyways, off-topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"