Into the Spider-Verse Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse News and General Discussion Thread

I consider the film

a loose sequel/follow up to the Raimi Trilogy given that Peter strongly Tobey Maguire's version and MJ sounded like Kirsten Dunst yet also had a connect to the Webb films given Gwen was basically Emma Stone. I kinda took at as picking up where Maguire's Peter was after Spiderman 3 and his current rut would be consistent with what could have played out for him

I guess my only question with the events in the film would be
How exactly was Gwen already there in Miles' universe? Cause she showed up before the night Miles' Peter gets thrown in front of the collider for a prolonged time and it shows it sort of processing his genetic code making it bring other spider people over. Or am I jumbling the timeframe and she showed up after? I do remember they mentioned there were earthquakes for the previous days relating to that, but why would it send her over specifically?

I consider the film

a loose sequel/follow up to the Raimi Trilogy given that Peter strongly Tobey Maguire's version and MJ sounded like Kirsten Dunst yet also had a connect to the Webb films given Gwen was basically Emma Stone. I kinda took at as picking up where Maguire's Peter was after Spiderman 3 and his current rut would be consistent with what could have played out for him
It feels like it could be possible, that might be my personal headcanon as well lol. You could even say his organic webs started to fail him so he relies on mechanical now. Heck, remember early on they were going to give him webshooters in the first Raimi film, although I'm not sure if it was a carryover from the James Cameron script where they were just sitting over organic webs.

I guess my only question with the events in the film would be
How exactly was Gwen already there in Miles' universe? Cause she showed up before the night Miles' Peter gets thrown in front of the collider for a prolonged time and it shows it sort of processing his genetic code making it bring other spider people over. Or am I jumbling the timeframe and she showed up after? I do remember they mentioned there were earthquakes for the previous days relating to that, but why would it send her over specifically?

She said something along the lines of “I was sent into last week, literally.” Which says to me she was transported to a new dimension and sent back in time. She said “literally” so I don’t think that was an accidental use of the word - I think she genuinely meant it.

That Miles swinging scene (a couple of pages back) should be considered a spoiler and either spoiler tagged or removed. It happens at a pivotal point in the movie and watching it without context will spoil the impact of the scene when you see it in the movie.

I I’m so glad I didn’t watch that today because scene was a lot better seeing the 1st time in a theatre. Yes I just got back and what an awesome movie it was. I really need to see it again.

Last edited:
Well, I will be avoiding this thread until the weekend is over and I have seen the film. Looking forward to it, and I see that this film is truly something special...cannot wait!

Boxofficemojo is predicting a $40 million opening weekend

Total baloney

It’s gonna open at least $70 million.

It’s an animated movie so that’s an automatic $50 mil

Secondly hello Spidermen add $20 mil

Last of all reviews are through the roof and it’s mostly what Spider Man fans have been asking for Miles Morales Spider Gwen etc so I can see this making at least $70 million as the floor and $120 million is the ceiling

Expect really long legs for this film. Animated films tend to have long legs and this should be no exception. This might make more than Venom...$250-350 million total domestic box office when all is said and done

While i would love this to be another Venom situation where the projections for the opening weekend were dead wrong, I unfortunately believe this time the forecasts will be right save 5 or 10 million. While genre film fans will undoubtedly be more curious about this movie due to the positive buzz, animation movies just have this terrible stigma with a large portion of the general audience that its just for kids, plus it involves a character they've seen plenty of in live action.

Believe me I hope I'm wrong about this and this movie surprises with an 80 million opening. But if it doesn't, hopefully it'll have legs despite the jam-packed holiday movie releases.

Total baloney

Last of all reviews are through the roof and it’s mostly what Spider Man fans have been asking for Miles Morales Spider Gwen etc so I can see this making at least $70 million as the floor and $120 million is the ceiling

Expect really long legs for this film. Animated films tend to have long legs and this should be no exception. This might make more than Venom...$250-350 million total domestic box office when all is said and done

Definitely see this having legs with the holidays coming up. Mary Poppins, Bumblebee and Aquaman will be competition but mostly different target audience.

‘Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse’ Grabs $3.5M In Thursday Previews

Sony Animation’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse swung into Thursday grossing $3.5M from showtimes starting at 5PM from 3,321 locations, a solid number for this time of year.

Spider-Verse‘s number is higher than Universal/Illumination’s Tuesday night $1.7M previews from two years ago when it launched before Christmas, turning in an opening day of $11M. Some where comping this movie to Warner Bros.’ Lego Batman, and Spider-Verse beat the Thursday $2.2M previews of that film which posted a $14.4M opening day and $53M opening. Sony is still seeing the weekend at $30M, the industry was betting mid $30Ms prior to today, but with this type of Thursday for the Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey and Rodney Rothman-directed film, Spider-Verse had to overindex (in which case many believe that could be in the $40M-range).

Total baloney

I think 40m is about right.
1. There is a potential for Spider-Man fatigue.
2. There is a ton of competition.
3. Animation audiences traditionally gravitate to with known (animation) houses/properties.

Yeah, I see $50 million as the top it could do this weekend. It is the traditional last weekend before christmas, combined with animated film, just doesn't put it as a monster opening. Which is fine in this time period. I suspect it is going to be able to grow legs.

Audience rating on RT is 94%.

Also Armond White wrote a review for this. It's not on RT yet.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Panders to Nonwhites & Spins Deception | National Review

The idea behind Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is to make it the most comic-book of comic-book movies. The directors Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, and Rodney Rothman take a surfeit of animated techniques — from comic-book panels to cartoons to video-game graphics — and detonate them in a barrage of nonstop, sensory-assaulting visual flashes, accented with hip-hop music cues and self-reflexive nods to the Marvel Comics Universe.

The goal is to indoctrinate more viewers more deeply into the MCU commercial process. Whoever says Into the Spider-Verse is about “fun” doesn’t understand movies or anything about how 21st-century media operates — particularly the exhausting Marvel franchise. Millennials, and others, delude themselves by accepting market promotion as part of a larger cultural narrative. They are seduced into the Spider-Verse just like Miles Morales (voiced by Shameik Moore), the black teenager who is looking for a role model and who shares the same bitten-by-a-radioactive-spider transformational dilemma as the original Spider-Man, Peter Parker (an alternative-universe version is voiced by Jake Johnson).

Last edited:
Haha see at least Armond White got really creative with his negative review and its a good read. That Roger Moore dude though, that was a poor negative review. He didn't even really try.

98% to 94% in one day?! Seriously?
Hopefully this doesn't drop below 90% which would be a crime.

The audience rating (which can't be trusted anyhow), not the critical rating.

‘Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse’ Grabs $3.5M In Thursday Previews – Updated

In early exits from last night, audiences loved Spider-Verse with 5-stars on PostTrak and a 90% positive and a very strong 80% definite recommend. Again these figures fluctuate throughout the weekend as the Screen Engine/ComScore service polls continually from Friday to Sunday.

Well, 67% of the audience last night were non-families, with men 41% over 25 coming out, followed by guys under 25 at 26%. Both enjoyed the movie with men under 25 giving it 96% and men over 25 a 91% positive score. Boys under 12 outnumbered girls 70% to 30% in turnout.

We really need to find another name for the audience score on RT. How about "nerds who bothered to create a RT account score".

Not surprised to see Armond White giving this movie a negative review, what's surprising is how dumb the content of his review his.

We really need to find another name for the audience score on RT. How about "nerds who bothered to create a RT account score".

Not surprised to see Armond White giving this movie a negative review, what's surprising is how dumb the content of his review his.
Useless stat? Surprising as in it's not as dumb as usual?

Again, you have to take notice of where he is writing at. And for who.

Good! I'm rooting so hard for this movie to be successful. It just sucks that I probably won't be able to see it before January.
Surprising as in it's not as dumb as usual?
No, the opposite. :hehe:
Again, you have to take notice of where he is writing at. And for who.
I see. I guess he's finally found a site that will publish all the BS he spews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"