Into the Spider-Verse Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse News and General Discussion Thread

Into the spider-verse has made over 200m worldwide according to Box Office Mojo.
Ah man that's pretty low. And there already reducing the show time at my local cinema. Going to watch it again this week.

You got to love twitter. Phil just replied to my tweet and confirmed that he was setting up this version of Aunt May to be a Q type character. Didn't say anything was set in stone, but it sounds like he was playing with the idea, and if fans like it, then hopefully they will be encouraged to peruse that idea in the sequel.
Sure, which is entirely different from the claim that Aunt May was in a relationship or rivals with Octavius. The response doesn't even necessarily say that Aunt May is providing her own gadgets or inventions but that's at least plausible.

Ah man that's pretty low. And there already reducing the show time at my local cinema. Going to watch it again this week.

Well it’s budget was only 90 mill and has made 104 mill in domestic box office to date.

Sure, which is entirely different from the claim that Aunt May was in a relationship or rivals with Octavius. The response doesn't even necessarily say that Aunt May is providing her own gadgets or inventions but that's at least plausible.
Well like I said nothing was set in stone. It was just twitter banter. For all I know they might kill her off in the sequel. I'm just buzzing because he replied to my tweet. :applaud

Well it’s budget was only 90 mill and has made 104 mill in domestic box office to date.
Yea but marketing cost can be almost as much as the movie it self. This needs to make around 400 million to even be considered close to a success. Can't believe I live in a world where the despicable me 3 and minions make a billion and a freaking Spiderman property is struggling to break even. :huh::csad:

The legs are kicking in, though. It is having a very strong week. And I would not be surprised to see it do better than Bumblebee next weekend. And China is looking to be a success, with it up to $54 million, best western animated release there.

And if they can kick up a strong enough campaign to get it an Oscar nomination, then it should be fine.

Yea but marketing cost can be almost as much as the movie it self. This needs to make around 400 million to even be considered close to a success. Can't believe I live in a world where the despicable me 3 and minions make a billion and a freaking Spiderman property is struggling to break even. :huh::csad:
The general rule I've always heard is that it needs to make 3x the production budget in its worldwide gross to break even theatrically, in order to account for marketing costs. Which means if it gets past $270mil it will be in good shape, since most movies barely make a profit 'til they hit home video markets these days anyway. It could get there since there are a few international markets it still hasn't opened in, including Japan, which is generally pretty big on Spidey, and its far from done domestically, too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I imagine animated Spider-man is going to be SUPER popular in Japan. It is going to easily clear $300 million worldwide.

[checks it out]

Big Hero 6 did $76 million in Japan. Incredibles 2 did $43. Yeah, should get some nice bank from Japan.

I think this movie will blow up on home video like Dredd did. Lots of people skipped Dredd at the cinema but excellent word of mouth made people check the movie out at home. I think the same thing will happen with this movie.

Finally got to watch the movie... Personally I enjoyed it, but I can understand why it's performing the way it is. It's pretty different from you average animated movie.

Also I'm not gonna lie, I'm quite disappointed by how little screentime the other Spider-people had.

Why are people acting like this film is underperforming? It's the most profitable animated superhero film based on existing characters in decades. The incredibles is the only animated superhero films that have made big money, and that has the Disney/Pixar name behind it.

It's going to make it's budget back, it's gotten great reviews, and it's proving to have good legs. Nobody expected this to do Pixar money.

The legs are kicking in, though. It is having a very strong week. And I would not be surprised to see it do better than Bumblebee next weekend. And China is looking to be a success, with it up to $54 million, best western animated release there.

And if they can kick up a strong enough campaign to get it an Oscar nomination, then it should be fine.
The general rule I've always heard is that it needs to make 3x the production budget in its worldwide gross to break even theatrically, in order to account for marketing costs. Which means if it gets past $270mil it will be in good shape, since most movies barely make a profit 'til they hit home video markets these days anyway. It could get there since there are a few international markets it still hasn't opened in, including Japan, which is generally pretty big on Spidey, and its far from done domestically, too.
Funnily enough Phil Lord said on twitter that it needs to make 200 million. I don't know if he meant domestic or world wide. I'll assume he means domestic because he could not be that ignorant to budget returns on investment. I think that's very achievable, but from a personal pov I feel it deserves SO much more than to just scrap by. I hope it can get into the $500 million range when the dust settles.

Finally got to watch the movie... Personally I enjoyed it, but I can understand why it's performing the way it is. It's pretty different from you average animated movie.

Also I'm not gonna lie, I'm quite disappointed by how little screentime the other Spider-people had.
Interesting point. My friend seemed to have the same sentiment. He's very reluctant to go despite being a movie goer and knowing the character of spiderman. The concept seems a bit too much for him. That being said he is a grown man, and this movie isn't necessarily his target demographic.

Why are people acting like this film is underperforming? It's the most profitable animated superhero film based on existing characters in decades. The incredibles is the only animated superhero films that have made big money, and that has the Disney/Pixar name behind it.

It's going to make it's budget back, it's gotten great reviews, and it's proving to have good legs. Nobody expected this to do Pixar money.

I think it's more of a case of this film not making the type of money it DESERVES. It deserves Incredibles 2 or Wreck-It-Ralph 2 money, but it's making "successful rom-com" money. This film needs every dime it can get, and it needs every accolade if their is any chance of it making it into the franchise territory. I wish it would hit the 500 million mark, but it will be lucky to break 300 million WW. I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, I just don't see the overseas and continued domestic pushing it much farther than that.

Either way, and I've said this before, I'd rather have a good movie that makes a mark than a money-making film that is forgotten or hated.

I think $300 is a nice solid lock, at the moment. It has a good $50-100 million left in the tank in the US, Japan is easily going to give it at least $30 mil (which is astronomical for Japan).

Nho5hdv.jpg

I really want to see how things go for Peter and turning his life around, actually getting those push ups done and of course successfully back with MJ. If for no other reason than to bring us Mayday.

Id rather have a great film like this make what it does then mediocrity making a billion. This film will have more impact on the genre as a whole and animation in general moving forward then anything else out there at the moment. That's a true legacy that will be remembered.

I really want to see how things go for Peter and turning his life around, actually getting those push ups done and of course successfully back with MJ. If for no other reason than to bring us Mayday.
I want Mayday in a sequel. More Mayday in the movies MIGHT equal us getting a new Spider-Girl comic... (hoping this happens)
I LOVE Spider-Gwen, don't get me wrong, but Mayday was the ONLY successor to Peter in my eyes.

I want Mayday in a sequel. More Mayday in the movies MIGHT equal us getting a new Spider-Girl comic... (hoping this happens)
I LOVE Spider-Gwen, don't get me wrong, but Mayday was the ONLY successor to Peter in my eyes.

Wasn't there a 'fix' for Mayday in that recent Spidergeddon? I think I read that somewhere. But yes, a new Mayday comic would be great...it'd go with the rest of the Marvel-correcting-the-past theme that they've been running with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"