spider-man is unrecognisable from the 60's

Batman - (1st) Carried a gun, and most famously fought criminals and bank robbers. Extremely dark character who believed in killing the criminal element. Based heavily on Dracula.

Batman - (today) Refuses to use guns. Is a martial artist and super genius without peer. Typically seen as even a threat to metas. Creates spy satillites to spy and infiltrate rogue superheroes. Member of Justice League. Doesn't ever kill. Has gone through 3 sidekicks. Very dark, but has been written as rather goofy in times past.

Superman - (1st) Reasonably strong and fast individual who could leap tall buildings. He typically fought wife beaters and could perform feats like lifting cars over his head.

Superman - (today) Strong without peer. Both parents are alive rather than dead. He is married. Has a rogues gallery consisting of several intergalactic foes and Lex Luthor. Has an weakness to Krytonite. Can fly. Can perform feats like burn through substances with heat vision, see through walls, fly, lift objects like city blocks, can achieve the speeds past sound barrier.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Provided they can get whomever they use it on to a cell within an hour.
at that point, back-up will have arrived, innocents will be shuffled to safety, intoxicated persons will have sobered, and assailants will have been disarmed. There's no rush once they're gooed up

I can deal with him being married, heck, superman is married.

I think the unmasking is a BAD idea, sure there will be interesting stories for a year and then what? they may as well remove his mask completely seeing as now he doesn't need it.

hate hate HATE the new costume, and will someone PLEASE tell me what function those extra arms provide.

erm those 'cool' extra powers from that long story line what exactly was the point of them, seriously, spikes out of the wrist PLEASE...

don't mind the organic webs

to be honest I read ultimate and (please forgive me) mary jane LSM but occassionally I pick up amazing and the stories are getting ridiculous - norman/gwen storyline for instance.

change is good but change for change sake is pointless

the costume will go back, and the new powers will be forgotten, don't worry, everyone agrees on those. And everyone agrees the Gwen/Norman story sucked.

But I really don't think the unmasking is a bad thing. It's a good story. It works. There was a reason for it. It's being handled well. It's a new direction with lots of possibilities.

Over in Captain America, Bucky's back from the dead. I never thought that would happen. I never thought I'd want to see it happen. But Ed Brubaker made that (supposedly unthinkable) idea WORK.

I say give it a chance. Most people who hate it seem to hate it on simple principal. It seriously comes off as just a fear of change.

YES it changes Peter's character, one aspect of him at least. For 40 years he's been hiding his identity. That is now no longer part of his character. But he is still Peter Parker. And now we get to see Peter Parker not deal with keeping his ID secret (a story aspect we've been dealing with for 40 years) now we get to see him deal with being public. But he's still Peter Parker.

It's a completely new situation. That's going to put a new spin on most any story you tell with him. How often can the villain-of-the-month show up for Peter to beat? This is a change of pace, and, personally, a welcome one.

Peter getting cloned and replaced is dumb and boring to me. Peter getting his eye ripped out and sprouting claws is EXTREMELY dumb and boring to me.

Peter feeling that the time has come to stop living in secret? That fascinates me.

Elijya said:
the costume will go back, and the new powers will be forgotten, don't worry, everyone agrees on those. And everyone agrees the Gwen/Norman story sucked.

But I really don't think the unmasking is a bad thing. It's a good story. It works. There was a reason for it. It's being handled well. It's a new direction with lots of possibilities.

Over in Captain America, Bucky's back from the dead. I never thought that would happen. I never thought I'd want to see it happen. But Ed Brubaker made that (supposedly unthinkable) idea WORK.

I say give it a chance. Most people who hate it seem to hate it on simple principal. It seriously comes off as just a fear of change.

YES it changes Peter's character, one aspect of him at least. For 40 years he's been hiding his identity. That is now no longer part of his character. But he is still Peter Parker. And now we get to see Peter Parker not deal with keeping his ID secret (a story aspect we've been dealing with for 40 years) now we get to see him deal with being public. But he's still Peter Parker.

It's a completely new situation. That's going to put a new spin on most any story you tell with him. How often can the villain-of-the-month show up for Peter to beat? This is a change of pace, and, personally, a welcome one.

Peter getting cloned and replaced is dumb and boring to me. Peter getting his eye ripped out and sprouting claws is EXTREMELY dumb and boring to me.

Peter feeling that the time has come to stop living in secret? That fascinates me.

good post :up:

to be fair I am loving cival war and I always wanted to see what JJJ would should when he finds out the truth about peter, or flash but once we move past his supporting cast then what?

I'll continue to buy amazing to be honest I think all marvel have to do to shut me up is put him in his old costume which I'm sure they'll do with the movie out next year.

have you been reading She-Hulk? lots of JJJ in there

Elijya said:
have you been reading She-Hulk? lots of JJJ in there

I did and it was very funny.

dan slott it terrific
I will add his S-M/HT run was terrific and really showed the essence of spider-man the current comics has lost.

photojones2 said:
let's see here:

captain america
the x-men
the avengers
daredevil
luke cage
the hulk
the fantastic four
iron man

ALL completely different from their first appearances. by your logic, this makes them worse. tell me then, why are you still reading comics?

Game point my man! The only Silver Age Marvel character that i can think of that's remained relatively un-changed is Dr. Strange...

I think Marvel should have kept Untold Tales Of Spider-Man going, or at least start up a new volume. That way, at least the fans who want to see umpteen scenes of Peter eating wheatcakes, pining over Betty Brant and Liz Allen, and avoiding fights with Flash Thompson can have that, and those who want to see Peter involved in fresh new scenarios can have THAT.

Everybody wins.

CaptainStacy said:
Game point my man! The only Silver Age Marvel character that i can think of that's remained relatively un-changed is Dr. Strange...

I think Marvel should have kept Untold Tales Of Spider-Man going, or at least start up a new volume. That way, at least the fans who want to see umpteen scenes of Peter eating wheatcakes, pining over Betty Brant and Liz Allen, and avoiding fights with Flash Thompson can have that, and those who want to see Peter involved in fresh new scenarios can have THAT.

Everybody wins.

i cannot agree more. :up:

Elijya said:

the problem isn't with the idea itself. hell, it worked wonders for DD.

the problem is HOW it happened. as it was, it NEVER would've happened. they keep trying to throw us reasons for it. his loyalty to Tony, May blessing it... none of it would ever matter if the character was being written properly.

because Peter just forgot what happened when only Norman knew his identity. because Peter forgot the "great responsibility" he has with his loved ones, with keeping them safe.

then Tony says it's about gaining back the public's trust... when Peter never really cared about it. also, Peter says "it's not about right and wrong, moral and immoral. It's about legal and illegal." when Peter has been basically an illegal vigilante his entire life and it has never been a problem. not to mention that on the same issue he says that, he also say "how can something so right feel so wrong?" I thought it wasn't about right and wrong... :rolleyes:

it's not the idea that's the problem, but the execution is so all over the place and so out of character that it just becomes almost unreadable.

JackBauer said:

the problem is HOW it happened. as it was, it NEVER would've happened. they keep trying to throw us reasons for it. his loyalty to Tony, May blessing it... none of it would ever matter if the character was being written properly.

because Peter just forgot what happened when only Norman knew his identity. because Peter forgot the "great responsibility" he has with his loved ones, with keeping them safe.

then Tony says it's about gaining back the public's trust... when Peter never really cared about it. also, Peter says "it's not about right and wrong, moral and immoral. It's about legal and illegal." when Peter has been basically an illegal vigilante his entire life and it has never been a problem. not to mention that on the same issue he says that, he also say "how can something so right feel so wrong?" I thought it wasn't about right and wrong... :rolleyes:

it's not the idea that's the problem, but the execution is so all over the place and so out of character that it just becomes almost unreadable.

:up:
And for the record people do not fear change like someone posted here people fear bad change theres a big difference.

NateGray said:
:up:
And for the record people do not fear change like someone posted here people fear bad change theres a big difference.

You're welcome.

In fact, I EMBRACE change when it's smooth and sensible. Superman can fly now? Oh, cool...not a huge stretch from jumping high. Superman is now made of energy? What??? Big difference.

The Comedian said:
ahem...

superman-blue.jpg

Yes they fixed it, but it's comparable to what they've done with Spidey recently.

Good God, I couldn't agree more. How about Angelic Punisher? Anyone remember THAT crap? It's pretty much how I feel about the state of Spidey.

The secret identity does not predict peters loved ones anywhere nearly as much as a lot of people seem to think.
And peters smart enough to look over his history and realise this.

JackBauer said:

I disagree, simple as that

Elijya said:

I feel the same way. The unmasking is a big event, yes, but it doesn't feel like a gimmick to me, at least not as a concept. It feels like a natural progression, unlike Gwen Stacy's corpse being dug up and pissed on again, like in Sins Past. I just hope they ground it in Peter's day to day life again. I feel that has been missing from Spider-Man for a long time. Give him a strong supporting cast of bystanders again. That's one thing I DO miss from the '60s and '70s, when we had Jameson, Flash, Harry, Gwen, MJ, George Stacy, Aunt May and in some ways, Norman Osborn, not to mention a community of villains that rocked. All those people really related to one another in fun, interesting ways and gave this world colour. I want that again.

spider-neil said:
I can deal with him being married, heck, superman is married.

I think the unmasking is a BAD idea, sure there will be interesting stories for a year and then what? they may as well remove his mask completely seeing as now he doesn't need it.

hate hate HATE the new costume, and will someone PLEASE tell me what function those extra arms provide.

erm those 'cool' extra powers from that long story line what exactly was the point of them, seriously, spikes out of the wrist PLEASE...

don't mind the organic webs

to be honest I read ultimate and (please forgive me) mary jane LSM but occassionally I pick up amazing and the stories are getting ridiculous - norman/gwen storyline for instance.

change is good but change for change sake is pointless

I agree that Sins Past was a really bad decision. And that The Other was also a really bad decision.

But the unmasking, in my opinion, is not a bad decision. I respect that there are a lot of Spider-Man fans who do not like it. But there are just as many fans who like it, some may not even agree with it, but they're getting some really great stories out of it all. Excitement. Intrigue. Old faces returning to the books. And seeing all the people react to Peter Parker being Spider-Man. It's huge. And if some people don't want to be a part of it because they think that this is a "gimmick" or "Joe Quesada is a fat jerk" or "JMS is a hack". Well, you're the one missing out on some fun stories.

No kidding hes different from 40 years ago genius. Of course every change isn't always a good one but, i can understand that factor of his changing and growing as a character. Just not the unmaksing thing. Wow... curveball that one is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"