World Spider-Man's Animated Universe

Ultimate Spider-Man has allways had a kind of consistent quality, probably because Bryan Michael Bendis has allways been the writer, so he knew where the story would go, even if sometimes all he did was ultimatise old stories, his Clone Saga was pretty fun though, as oposed to the original clone saga.

As of now his Ultimate Spider-Man stuff with Miles Morales has been very good.

Spectacular by a landslide. If it had been allowed to run for, say, 4 or 5 seasons, it had the potential to pass Batman: TAS as the best superhero cartoon ever (and I'll say on a season-vs-season basis, it already had; B:TAS had some duds early on). It was that good.

I pretty much think Spectacular Spider-Man is to Spider-Man what Batman: The Animated Series is to Batman.

The only thing I love more about USM than TSSM is the design

Not even that! Ultimate designs are blah. I loved Cheeks' designs and it helped the animation to flow.

Oh man, can you imagine if they got the TSSM writers and Mark Bagley to do the design?

Sorry if anyone else doesn't like the Bagley era, I've always been a fan of the original Ultimate Spider-Man, back when it was actually kinda good

No, thanks. Not a big Bagley fan. Rather stick with the stylized designs of Spectacular. Remember, Batman: The Animated Series was also stylized.

No, thanks. Not a big Bagley fan. Rather stick with the stylized designs of Spectacular. Remember, Batman: The Animated Series was also stylized.

Yeah, but BTAS worked well for me. TSSM? not so much, I liked the writing and animation of it. But the designs are god awful to me

Yeah, but BTAS worked well for me. TSSM? not so much, I liked the writing and animation of it. But the designs are god awful to me

Again, a matter of taste. I liked the style, particularly Spider-Man. And it was fun seeing each interpretation of the villains.

Again, a matter of taste. I liked the style, particularly Spider-Man. And it was fun seeing each interpretation of the villains.

Agreed, it is a matter of opinion and design didn't get in the way of watching this great show. I still have total respect for it because I do think it's the best Spider-Man show to date

Last edited:
Hopefully USM will be cancelled soon so we could have another chance of getting a better animated series. Sigh Disney... :(

I actually liked more the Spectacular Spider-Man designs

specspidey111.jpg

Ultimate-Spider-Man.jpg

The Spectacular spider-man designs were brighter and flowed better, made every character seem likeable, there are some designs that could have been much better like Green Goblin but spectacular didn't let the designs get in the way of the action and animation, Ultimate Spider-man has those problems.

I've never had the displeasure of watching USM, I only saw screenshots and the design looked really well done.

Sorry for being quick to judge :D

I'm not the biggest fan of Spectacular's art style, I just like the show for it's other merits. But in the show's defense, it's common knowledge that they only have so much money, and they had to make a decision to either put it into the character designs, or the action sequences, and I'm glad they chose the latter. Wolverine & The X-men is a perfect example of a show that has pretty decent character design but is seriously lacking in the action animation department.

I find designs pleasant to watch in TSSM, though earlier that was the cause of my initial turn off

It only got cancelled because Disney acquired the animation rights and wanted to do their own show.

Spectacular Spider-man by a long shot. Ultimate Spider-man isn't holding my attention unfortunately.

Spectacular Spider-man by a long shot. Ultimate Spider-man isn't holding my attention unfortunately.

Because it was targeted at people with no attention span, so of course it wouldn't hold the attention of somebody who has one.

When i was a kid with no attention span i actually liked shows with story arcs, that had a sence of continuity and that gave an origin to their villains, Spectacular Spider-Man did that, ultimate spider-man just throws villains and heroes around, when i watched super hero shows i was never very interested in seeing crossovers with other heroes, with Bruce Timm's DC animated universe it was fun because it didn't happen all the times, and shows that are true crossovers like Justice League and Avengers work with that, but i'm not interested in seeing Spider-Man teaming up with a new hero in every single episode, i never was.

Which is the reason why i think that as a kid i would have enjoyed Spectacular much more, and i doubt Ultimate is more appealing to kids either.

The 90s animated series had crossovers, but they weren't in every single episode nor were they over the top. It was like a special guest appearance every season: X-Men, Daredevil, Captain America, The Thing, etc.

Ultimate Spider-Man seems to be comparing our beloved super hero to every other Marvel character out there, making him look weak and even stupid. Seeing him attempt to flex his muscles which then sag is just pathetic. RIM said that TASM is like a favorite Spider-Man toy being broken into little pieces, but honestly that description better fits the USM cartoon.

what's really sad is that all these intelligently well thought out and constructive criticisms of the show that are voiced here and at every other forum, blog, website, etc. means absolutely s**t to the creatives in charge and the PTB further up the Disney/Marvel food chain...

it's not the fans' input that they're remotely interested in... it's what THEY want PERIOD case closed end of discussion...

the fans?... F**K 'em...

They never care about the fans, only the general audience.

But Ultimate must have worse ratings than Spectacular, it has received a lot of criticism and it no longer atracts fans or other people that are not just kids

There is no way this show is going to last. And that's a good thing.

It's interesting that the people who dislike Ultimate have genuwine reasons for doing so. Whereas a lot of the shows defenders just say "Shut up! It's not for you! It's for kids!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"