World Rank your favorite Spider-Man adaptations

Mistah K88

Civilian
Reaction score
Spider-Man is a character who has had many media adaptations. From the 1967 animated series to the recent 2019 movie Far From Home, Spidey has had multiple takes on who he is as a character and his universe. When it comes to these adaptations, how would you rank them from favorite to least favorite?

Would it even be fair to rank individual movies to entire cartoon runs? Maybe it might be better to separate them into categories… However, if you feel the need to mix them together to give your top Spider-Man experiences outside of comics feel free to do so.

Listing the movies we have:
Spider-Man
Spider-Man2
Spider-Man3
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man Homecoming
Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
Spider-Man Far From Home
(I’m really debating including the Avengers movies where Spider-Man was merely included…but hey if you thought Spidey in Civil War was better than some of his solo outings feel free to mention it)

When it comes to Spidey in animation we have:
Spider-Man (67)
Spider-Man (81)
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
Spider-Man (94) (Also known as Spider-Man the Animated Series)
Spider-Man Unlimited
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
Spectacular Spider-Man
Ultimate Spider-Man
Spider-Man (17) (Also known as Marvel’s Spider-Man)

Spider-Man is a character who has had many media adaptations. From the 1967 animated series to the recent 2019 movie Far From Home, Spidey has had multiple takes on who he is as a character and his universe. When it comes to these adaptations, how would you rank them from favorite to least favorite?

Would it even be fair to rank individual movies to entire cartoon runs? Maybe it might be better to separate them into categories… However, if you feel the need to mix them together to give your top Spider-Man experiences outside of comics feel free to do so.

Listing the movies we have:
Spider-Man
Spider-Man2
Spider-Man3
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man Homecoming
Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
Spider-Man Far From Home
(I’m really debating including the Avengers movies where Spider-Man was merely included…but hey if you thought Spidey in Civil War was better than some of his solo outings feel free to mention it)

When it comes to Spidey in animation we have:
Spider-Man (67)
Spider-Man (81)
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
Spider-Man (94) (Also known as Spider-Man the Animated Series)
Spider-Man Unlimited
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
Spectacular Spider-Man
Ultimate Spider-Man
Spider-Man (17) (Also known as Marvel’s Spider-Man)

Movies: Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse. It just...rocks so hard.
Animated: Spectacular Spider-Man...by three thousand miles.

Spider-Man has a habit of being protective about his secret identity, so I hate what MCU crew did starting with Infinity War. That movie had the same writers of Civil War, why did they not keep up with that bit?

Oh well, in movies I rank:
  1. Raimi & Maguire trilogy
  2. Into the Spider-Verse
  3. Webb Duology
  4. ...
  5. ....
  6. Russo brothers and co take (except for preservation of secret identity)
  7. ........
  8. ..........
  9. RAGE STORM
  10. ...
  11. ...
  12. Homecoming

Animated shows:
  1. Spectacular Spider-Man (comes close to being best of the Greg Weisman shows based on comic books)
  2. Batman Beyond (I'm keeping this here, nothing can change my mind)
  3. Spider-Man Unlimited (It's very well made and reached higher points than people give it credit for, even with the abominable stuff in it and sending Spider-Man out of his usual operating area)
  4. Spider-Friends
  5. Solo 80-s cartoon (that 5 episodes Dr. Doom arc alone makes me rank it high, without priaing how well it handled the character)
  6. MTV series
  7. 1967 series (season 1 only. The Ralph Bakshi stuff is complete crap)
  8. 90s cartoon (Spider-Man is a jerk in that one, a lot of inconsistencies, breakneck speed, color palette for daytime is uncomfortable for many eyes)
  9. Ultimate Spider-Man (this might be worse than the newer one, but I enjoy it impressively more)
  10. Marvel's Spider-Man (between cringe inducing and forgettable)

Last edited:
Animated shows:
  1. Spectacular Spider-Man (comes close to being best of the Greg Weisman shows based on comic books)
  2. Batman Beyond (I'm keeping this here, nothing can change my mind)
  3. Spider-Man Unlimited (It's very well made and reached higher points than people give it credit for, even with the abominable stuff in it and sending Spider-Man out of his usual operating area)
  4. Spider-Friends
  5. Solo 80-s cartoon (that 5 episodes Dr. Doom arc alone makes me rank it high, without priaing how well it handled the character)
  6. MTV series
  7. 1967 series (season 1 only. The Ralph Bakshi stuff is complete crap)
  8. 90s cartoon (Spider-Man is a jerk in that one, a lot of inconsistencies, breakneck speed, color palette for daytime is uncomfortable for many eyes)
  9. Ultimate Spider-Man (this might be worse than the newer one, but I enjoy it impressively more)
  10. Marvel's Spider-Man (between cringe inducing and forgettable)

Ultimate Spider-Man sucked, but it had it's moments...the new Spider-Man cartoon is just...horrible. They are literally skipping all the Peter Parker stuff to get to Miles and Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider. They have really marginalized Peter...and that was just me watching a handful of episodes. It's not even allowed in our house. At last USM gave us the Ultimate Deadpool episode.

As for the 1967 series, theme song aside, I can't stand it. The 90s series gave us a great black costume/Venom saga, and for that, I commend it. Even though Spider-Man couldn't punch anyone the entire series, which was just annoying. Also, the way they kidified Carnage was stupid beyond belief (drain their life-force?), as well as Morbius having suckers on his hands, despite having fangs. Some things just don't translate for a cartoon...and also a Punisher who doesn't kill either. Just leave him out!!

Ultimate Spider-Man sucked, but it had it's moments...the new Spider-Man cartoon is just...horrible. They are literally skipping all the Peter Parker stuff to get to Miles and Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider. They have really marginalized Peter...and that was just me watching a handful of episodes. It's not even allowed in our house. At last USM gave us the Ultimate Deadpool episode.
That one episode you appreciate from USM can count as filler in the series.
So says this weirdo who watched the show from start to end twice.

As for the 1967 series, theme song aside, I can't stand it. The 90s series gave us a great black costume/Venom saga, and for that, I commend it. Even though Spider-Man couldn't punch anyone the entire series, which was just annoying. Also, the way they kidified Carnage was stupid beyond belief (drain their life-force?), as well as Morbius having suckers on his hands, despite having fangs. Some things just don't translate for a cartoon...and also a Punisher who doesn't kill either. Just leave him out!!
Just the theme song? Nothing about how intriguing it is in making tools from webs? That series manipulates webs to a Green Lantern levels of creative finesse. The show also did more than the 90s cartoon when it came to modifying the web formula.

Speaking of the 90s show; the Punisher episodes are actually better than the episodes of Spider-Man being possessed by the symbiote.

That one episode you appreciate from USM can count as filler in the series.
So says this weirdo who watched the show from start to end twice.

I have two children. When it was on Netflix, it stayed on a loop for awhile. I grew increasingly tired of it...with the exception of the Ultimate Deadpool episode and a couple of others. It was also the first time my daughter got to see Spider-Gwen on screen, so she was pumped about that.

Just the theme song? Nothing about how intriguing it is in making tools from webs? That series manipulates webs to a Green Lantern levels of creative finesse. The show also did more than the 90s cartoon when it came to modifying the web formula.

I'm sure it did, but I could never make it that far.

Speaking of the 90s show; the Punisher episodes are actually better than the episodes of Spider-Man being possessed by the symbiote.

Blasphemy. I'll pray for your soul! ;)

Honestly, one ofthe 90s show's biggest sin was how trite the animation got with the CG background webslinging. Also, it was during a time when the 90's X-Men 'toon was killing it, and, oh yeah, Batman had an animated series that is still the benchmark for all animated superhero shows. I say that as a hardcore Spidey fan. Spectacular aside, we have NOTHING that comes close to that.

SM2, Spider-Verse, Spidey and his Amazing Friends, STAS and Spidey’s appearances in CW and IW are all up there.

Movies:

1. Into The Spider-Verse
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Spider-Man 1
4. Homecoming
5. Amazing Spider-Man
6. Spider-Man 3
7. Far From Home
8. Amazing Spider-Man 2

Animated/TV:

1. Spectacular Spider-Man
2. 90s Spider-Man
3. SM: TNAS
4. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
5. '81 Spider-Man
6. Spider-Man Unlimited
7. '67 Spider-Man
8. Ultimate Spider-Man
9. Marvel's Spider-Man

Movies:
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 1
Into The Spider-Verse
Homecoming
The Amazing Spider-Man
Far Frome Home
Spider-Man 3
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

90s Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man only animated series I've watched. Loved them both.

I don’t think I’ve seen enough of the older Spider-Man adaptations to form a serious opinion of them. My memories from those come from re-runs on Jetix…to which I was already reaching adulthood so I don’t have as fond of memories as I do of things like Adam West’s Batman. I will say that they are pretty much products of their time as it seemed all super hero stuff had similar tones back in the day (as in I could see an episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and fit it together with something like The New Adventures of Batman) However, I think that has to do more with my age than anything…as I’m sure people would think the super hero cartoons of my childhood (90’s) would feel samey… So I’ll only be ranking stuff that I have seen enough of it to form an opinion of it. I didn’t really catch the MTV show as well, (I was probably too young to be watching it when it initially came on) so I won’t include that either.

GREAT:
1 Spectacular Spider-Man
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Good:
4. Spider-Man the Animated Series
5. Spider-Man (2001)
Meh:
6. Spider-Man: Far From Home
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Amazing Spider-Man
9. Spider-Man (2017)
Bad:
10. Spider-Man 3
11. Spider-Man Unlimited
12. Ultimate Spider-Man

Reasoning:
1. Spectacular Spider-Man -The fact that I'm still bitter that this show being cancelled for as many years it has been is saying something. This had to be one of the only superhero media outside of comics where I genuinely cared about a lot of the supporting cast members. The fact that I wanted to see more of the life of characters like freaking LIZ ALLAN of all people just goes to show how good this series was...I think this show ruined Spider-Man in media for me as I think it satiated my expectations for an adaptation of Spider-Man. I always find myself unconsciously comparing almost every piece of Spidey related media (movies/cartoons) to it after it ended. Also we were THIS close to getting the Hobgoblin story done correctly...THIS CLOSE.

2. Spider-Man 2 - This was quite the solid superhero flick. Despite some issues with evil AI rather than Doc being responsible for his actions Molina KILLED it. The train scene in this film is quite iconic and seems to be the live action equivalent to Spider-Man being trapped under rubble after fighting the Master Planner in comics. Say what you want about the Raimi films, but you have to admit that this film was one of the best incarnations of Spider-Man in live action.

3. Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse - This is something that actually made me care for Miles Morales, which is a feat into itself as I never seem to care about replacement characters all that much. I'd say them focusing on Miles being more artistic than scientific made quite the difference and made him more than a "discount Peter"...or we can even say discount Hobie. Peter was also great in this as despite not being the central character, he had an arc and I kind of want to see more of him. At first I was skeptical of this one as it seemed to do ANOTHER take on Spider-Man being pathetic and needing help from elsewhere (this time by his replacement who is at LEAST a decade younger than him), it was a pleasant surprise.

4. Spider-Man the Animated Series (94) - I'm not sure if it is my nostalgia talking (as this series was what was on when I was a kid), but despite not aging as well as Batman the Animated Series, or even the X-Men cartoon that was also on during the same time period I've always had a soft spot for this show. Roscoe Lee Browne's Kingpin had the perfect amount of refinery and menace, and Chris Barnes is quite iconic as an adult Spider-Man. This show even managed to put a trait on the Symbiote that has pretty much turned into "common knowledge" despite it not being there prior to this cartoon (I think they did so because they needed SOME REASON for Peter to have the need to get rid of the Symbiote). Which is quite the feat for an animated series to have some sort of reflection on comic books and other media after the fact. I’d also wager that unlike Batman the Animated Series, this show was one of the first in my memory doing things in a serial way rather than episodic. That said that could have been a detriment too, as sometimes things lasted TOO long (I hated the Neogenic Nightmare arc as a kid and still hate it as an adult)

5. Spider-Man (2001) I'm a sucker for the hammy supervillains, and Dafoe's Goblin nailed it. Despite problems with trying to be realistic with Gobby's costume (the mask alone defeated THAT purpose), I believe this was one of the movies that made people take comic book movies seriously in the modern era. The origin of Spider-Man was wonderfully told, and establishing some of his supporting cast (JJJ) was done so well. Perhaps it was done too well, as the movies afterward go out of their way to be different from 2001's Spider-Man that they either botch things in a way (Amazing with the origin) or go out of their way to ignore it (MCU with the origin, Amazing with JJJ).

I’m just going to group the meh explanations together as well.. They are just there… I’ll be nice enough to separate the animation from the live action though.

When it comes to live action, I'd give a Meh mention to both the Amazing Spider-Man and the MCU Spidey solo outings (Homecoming and Far From Home). Methinks I'm not as much of a fan of the character as most, as the most recent movies are like Spider-Man's equivalent to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight to some, where as to me it’s NOT EVEN CLOSE. While Far From Home is better than Homecoming, a lot of my qualms that I had with the Homecoming were still there. I’m not a fan of the supporting cast, and find them unmemorable if not annoying. Also of course there is the fact that the films feel like they NEED the MCU backstory to connect everything, rather than being good standalone stories that can use the greater MCU as a compliment (like Black Panther). With Amazing I just think it was unmemorable in general, and I haven’t even seen its sequel. I honestly don’t remember too much what happened in it. I’ve seen the movie in theatres and remember only some details about the Lizard and George Stacy’s death, it is a movie where it’s like, “Oh yeah, this exists” to the point I can’t even nitpick it as much as I could the MCU because I simply don’t care about it as much. However I think that I liked the live action outings better than the animated outings nowadays.

Another Meh mention goes to the most recent animated series; as while it isn't offensive, it doesn't wow me at all to the point I forget that it's still going on. I suppose the fact I'm not in the more recent Spider-Man animated adaptations primary demographic could be why I'm so indifferent toward it... But heck, I was an adult when Spectacular was on the air, and I even liked Batman the Brave and the Bold, Green Lantern the Animated Series, Wolverine and the X-Men, Avengers Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, and Beware the Batman (also cartoons that came out well into my adulthood). I suppose animation has steered more toward comedy lately, which wouldn't be so bad if it was more clever and subtle and not forced and on the nose. When I watch superhero animation nowadays I find myself thinking “I am DEFINITELY not in this shows demographic”…which is…odd as I’ve always loved animation…was it like this with superhero cartoons that came out when I was a kid (90’s)? Can anyone older verify if your views were similar if you happened to catch those shows in their initial runs?
I think my major problem with more recent adaptations of Spider-Man is they play up his youth and incompetence to a ridiculous degree. Spectacular Spider-Man and everything prior Peter was quite competent in super heroics, and the mistakes seemed to be more in his personal life rather than learning to be a super hero (as in everyone could guess he’s a child in costume right off the back rather than assume he’s older than he is)… perhaps it’s because he was an adult in most of the adaptions rather than a teenager.

That said…I don’t think I’m going to go into the bad ones as deeply.

Spider-Man 3 - eh yeah. I think corporate meddling definitely hurt this one (forcing Venom into it). However, I had to say that Venom wasn’t even my main problem with it. My main problem is that they somehow found a way to be accurate to all of comic-dom and RETCON something. doing something like that makes even LESS sense in live action than it does in comics (as at LEAST you can say conflicting ideas of other creators and stuff causes it in comics).

Spider-Man Unlimited -…was this even supposed to be a Spider-Man cartoon? Or was he just kind of slapped on it? The ONLY reason this is above Ultimate is that it attempted to take itself seriously.

Ultimate Spider-Man – This series was WAY too goofy for me. While I hear that it got better in later seasons ala The Batman, I didn’t stick around long enough for it. I think that too many of the characters were unlikable for my taste. I do feel that it may be unfair to this show that it came directly after Spectacular (much like The Batman was the first after BTAS, and was unlucky to run alongside the DCAU), but the cutaways and 4th wall shenanigans didn’t help things for me… Maybe it felt more like a lighthearted Deadpool rather than Spidey? I don’t know. I was trying to be optimistic about the cartoon as details for it came out (thinking it was going to be Spider-Man’s answer to Batman The Brave and the Bold, using the title character to introduce lesser known Marvel heroes), but sadly it didn’t deliver. This was the first of the Marvel animated series to make me think “I’m too old for this”.

Movies:

1. Into The Spider-Verse
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Spider-Man 1
4. Homecoming
5. Amazing Spider-Man
6. Spider-Man 3
7. Far From Home
8. Amazing Spider-Man 2

Movies:
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 1
Into The Spider-Verse
Homecoming
The Amazing Spider-Man
Far Frome Home
Spider-Man 3
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Such positioning was unexpected. What're the problems with Far From Home?

I really wanted to like Far From Home. But I was really bored through most of the storyline of the film, aside from a few scenes and some of the Mysterio stuff. The comedy was pretty bad. I don't think I laughed at all during it. I'm not interested in the other school kids, or the teachers. I felt it focused on things I'm just not interested in. I guess I'm ready for an older live action Spidey.

That said I think Tom Holland plays the best Spider-Man, he's just not in the best Spider-Man movies.

Ultimate Spider-Man – This series was WAY too goofy for me. While I hear that it got better in later seasons ala The Batman, I didn’t stick around long enough for it. I think that too many of the characters were unlikable for my taste.
In defense of the Batman, that show started from solid to good first two seasons, and then improved while having a couple of mediocre episodes when some of the DCAU crew moved in to handle it.

Only characters I found unlikable in USM are the title character, Ava, and...

Actually.... I couldn't dislike Sam who was acting rude to the guy who started insulting him and messing with him for no reason. Maybe they were going for the early Spidey/Human Torch rivalry relationship with Nova and Spidey, but they turned the obnoxious knob up to 13 on that thing.

I really wanted to like Far From Home. But I was really bored through most of the storyline of the film, aside from a few scenes and some of the Mysterio stuff. The comedy was pretty bad. I don't think I laughed at all during it. I'm not interested in the other school kids, or the teachers. I felt it focused on things I'm just not interested in. I guess I'm ready for an older live action Spidey.
Cool. I wasn't fond of Pete's classmates in Homecoming, don't think there is much improvement here.

I'm not interested in the other school kids, or the teachers.

Yeah, this was a problem for me in the MCU as well... I think the only time that I was interested in Peter's classmates was...well...Spectacular. I can barely remember most of them in some of the other adaptations, and in the MCU I find them annoying.

Such positioning was unexpected. What're the problems with Far From Home?

I saw FFH about 3 weeks ago...I'm not really sure where to begin... this version of Spider-Man isn't for me.

FFH has ruined my interest in MCU Spider-Man. I enjoyed Homecoming. Despite the issues I have with that movie I felt it was a good enough movie that I thought they created a decent base from which to expand. FFH took every issue I had in Homecoming and exacerbated them. And then added new ones on top of those.

I honestly don't even have any interest in discussing the movie. You probably haven't even noticed but I don't even bother going into FFH section of the forums since I've seen the movie. That's really how badly I feel about FFH, I don't even have the slightest interest in talking about it. Though here I am talking about it, lol.

So, I'm not sure if that answers your question or not. If you have more specific questions about my thoughts on the film, I'll be happy to talk to you about them, Aziz.

I saw FFH about 3 weeks ago...I'm not really sure where to begin... this version of Spider-Man isn't for me.

FFH has ruined my interest in MCU Spider-Man. I enjoyed Homecoming. Despite the issues I have with that movie I felt it was a good enough movie that I thought they created a decent base from which to expand. FFH took every issue I had in Homecoming and exacerbated them. And then added new ones on top of those.

I honestly don't even have any interest in discussing the movie. You probably haven't even noticed but I don't even bother going into FFH section of the forums since I've seen the movie. That's really how badly I feel about FFH, I don't even have the slightest interest in talking about it. Though here I am talking about it, lol.

So, I'm not sure if that answers your question or not. If you have more specific questions about my thoughts on the film, I'll be happy to talk to you about them, Aziz.
You're right, I haven't noticed your absence from the section I don't frequent. ;)

What do you think of the disrespect for the secret identity in this world as a whole? It made me wanna watch episodes of older cartoons showing Spidey preserving his secret identity with a lot of effort.
'Identity Crisis' from Spectacular Spider-Man and 'Spider-Man Unmasked' from Spider-Friends to be more precise.

You're right, I haven't noticed your absence from the section I don't frequent. ;)

What do you think of the disrespect for the secret identity in this world as a whole? It made me wanna watch episodes of older cartoons showing Spidey preserving his secret identity with a lot of effort.
'Identity Crisis' from Spectacular Spider-Man and 'Spider-Man Unmasked' from Spider-Friends to be more precise.

The constant unmasking and no 'respect' for the secret identity reminds me of the Ultimate Spider-Man comic. I didn't like it then either.

That's the thing, FFH pales in comparison to other media iterations. Not just with the secret identity but with just about every other facet.

The constant unmasking and no 'respect' for the secret identity reminds me of the Ultimate Spider-Man comic. I didn't like it then either.

That's the thing, FFH pales in comparison to other media iterations. Not just with the secret identity but with just about every other facet.
At least in USM comics he didn't wrecklessly unmask himself and share his name like that. MCU went steps beyond that.

Spider-Man 3 - eh yeah. I think corporate meddling definitely hurt this one (forcing Venom into it). However, I had to say that Venom wasn’t even my main problem with it. My main problem is that they somehow found a way to be accurate to all of comic-dom and RETCON something. doing something like that makes even LESS sense in live action than it does in comics (as at LEAST you can say conflicting ideas of other creators and stuff causes it in comics).

Sam was running lower on ideas or just not putting as much effort and/or he was just too committed to the villains having a super-close connection to Peter and that only one or two things would make Peter really vengeful.

Making Sandman Uncle Ben's killer should have been a big, obvious indication that the filmmakers had gone too far with the personal connection concept.

My ranking of the films:

Homecoming

Into the Spider-verse
Far from Home

Amazing Spider-man

Spider-man
Spider-man 2
Spider-man 3
Amazing Spider-man 2
Venom

Animated:

Spider-Man: The Animated Series
Spectacular Spider-Man
Spider-Man(80's)
Spider-Man Unlimited
Spider-Man: New Animated Series
Spider-Man(60's)
Ultimate Spider-Man
Spider-Man and Amazing Friends
Marvel's Spider-Man

Films:

Into The Spider-Verse
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3
Amazing Spider-Man 2

Films:

Spider-man 2
Spider-man
Into The Spider-Verse
Far From Home
Homecoming
Amazing Spider-man
Spider-man 3
Amazing Spider-man 2

Animation:

Spectacular Spider-man
Spider-man TAS
Spidey & His Amazing Friends
60s Spider-man
Spider-man TNAS
Marvel's Spider-man
Ultimate Spider-man

Haven't watched Unlimited or that other Spidey cartoon from the 80s.

My exposure to Spider-Man began with the classic 60's cartoon with the iconic theme. The it was a combination of the comics and the 90s animated series which to this day still lives up well IMO the best adaptation of Spider-Man in pop culture.

Animation
1. 90s Spider-Man
2. 60's Spider-Man
3. Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends
4. Spectacular Spider-Man
5. Ultimate Spider-Man
6. MTV Spider-Man
7. Spider-Man Unlimited
8. Marvel Spider-Man

Films
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man : Homecoming
3. Spider-Man (2002)
4. Spider-Man far From Home
5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
6. Spider-Man 3

Hated The Marc Webb Amazing Spider man films.

Best Spider-Man video game
1. 90s Spider-Man game (1998)
2. Marvel's Spider-Man
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Spider-Man : Shattered Dimensions
5. Ultimate Spider-Man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"